Harbourside City Backpackers Reviews

105 The Strand, Tauranga, Tauranga, New Zealand

I booked a double bedroom for me and my girlfriend. When i went to the room i noticed they gave me a twin bedroom. The receptionist was very impolite and said thats a system fail and therefore bad luck and he cant give me another room. I told him that i dont feel comfortable and want my money back since he cannot offer me what i have paid for. He denied so i threatened to call the police. Then he gave me a room with a double bed and a bad ontop. Worst service ever!!!

• 10th Jan 2016

H, Thank you for giving us a feedback. I'm so sorry to hear the not acceptable customer service you received from one of my staff members. We do pride ourselves with excellent customer service and always try our best to go the extra mile with a smile :) The room you have stayed in, can be a twin room, double room or triple room. I have followed up with the staff member who has checked you in, and I can guarantee you, this kind of service will not happen again in the future. I hope we have the chance to accommodate you in the future to show you our improved customer service. I'm wishing you all the best for the rest of your travels throughout NZ! Take care & Happy travels! Aline (manager) & the always smiling Harbourside Team

The location is great but the sheets wasn't clean. It was smelling really bad and I was itchy :/

• 13th Dec 2015

Would never stay here again, reception staff were so rude, one German member of staff even shh'd me when I said hello at reception and carried on texting for ages whilst I was just stood there waiting! Our room key was stolen God knows who by and they were rude then. The room itself was tiny and dirty. No atmosphere in the evening as the staff just took over the communal areas completely. No salt, pepper or spices or even oil in the kitchen as promised. No one seemed to want to stay there long.

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about the hostel. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We take these comments very seriously, as they do help us grow in the future.

Extremely helpful and happy staff. Recommended some great things to do. Lovely big kitchen, lounge and balcony. Really central location. Had a great stay, would really recommend. Oh and the farmers market and Mt Maunganui walk was awesome (so where the hot pools at the base of it!)

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay, we are happy to hear you had a wonderful time at the hostel. We love hearing great comments about our staff and facilities, we hope to see you back again soon! Take care! Kimberly & the fantastic Harbourside Team

Lovely friendly staff - thank you. Only sad thing was that we couldn't get a refund when we had to leave a day earlier than we had intended.

• 3rd Dec 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Hi, Thank you for the amazing 5 star review, we love hearing feedback about our staff. Unfortunately we do have a 24 hour cancellation policy in place, but we do hope to see you again in the future. Take Care! Kimberly & the fantastic Harbourside Team

I didn't enjoy my stay in the hostel at all. I was staying for 3 nights and was in a room in the back flat with all the long-termers with its own kitchen etc. Which was quite anti-social. I was never shown the other communal areas and only discovered them on my final day. The internet never seemed to work, even in the sofa bit where it supposedly should have. Over all not a great stay.

I was surprised on how disappointed I was on this hostel. 1 The room had a terrible smell and something triggered my asthma. 2 No lockers, i was very surprised since the windows lead out to a walkway that anyone could get into your room. 3.Expensive for what you get in a place and the hr of internet is almost a insult for what you pay. However the Staff was super friendly and helpful and the showers weren't too bad. It really is in a great spot over the harbor. Just set a disappointing tone

Second time I've stayed here! Lovely views, good location, and pretty clean. This time I sprung for the private room, which cost just a few bucks more per person for my group. It's worth it when you've been travelling for a few weeks and need a break.

The location was this hostels biggest asset. Otherwise the atmosphere was lacking big time for me.. And the staff not entirely friendly or keen to help. I didn't feel very welcome upon arrival. 3 hours free wifi was definitely a bonus! Was decent but nothing special.

The hostel was perfectly placed,great friendly staff,great value for money,only slight critisim would be bathroom needs abit of attention,apart from that I would defo return and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it

This is the finest hostel in New Zealand!! I highly recommend that you stay here. Convenient location right in city center. Have a free bike ride over to the mountain.... watch the sun rise over the harbor from the balcony. Comfortable environment.... clean.... friendly staff. You will certainly get a positive vibe from this establishment. Only drawback here is no Wifi connection. Shame on you Alina! Haha. Join the 21st century.... take care of internet problem.