Harbourside City Backpackers Reviews

105 The Strand, Tauranga, Tauranga, New Zealand

I didn't enjoy my stay in the hostel at all. I was staying for 3 nights and was in a room in the back flat with all the long-termers with its own kitchen etc. Which was quite anti-social. I was never shown the other communal areas and only discovered them on my final day. The internet never seemed to work, even in the sofa bit where it supposedly should have. Over all not a great stay.

I was surprised on how disappointed I was on this hostel. 1 The room had a terrible smell and something triggered my asthma. 2 No lockers, i was very surprised since the windows lead out to a walkway that anyone could get into your room. 3.Expensive for what you get in a place and the hr of internet is almost a insult for what you pay. However the Staff was super friendly and helpful and the showers weren't too bad. It really is in a great spot over the harbor. Just set a disappointing tone

Second time I've stayed here! Lovely views, good location, and pretty clean. This time I sprung for the private room, which cost just a few bucks more per person for my group. It's worth it when you've been travelling for a few weeks and need a break.

The location was this hostels biggest asset. Otherwise the atmosphere was lacking big time for me.. And the staff not entirely friendly or keen to help. I didn't feel very welcome upon arrival. 3 hours free wifi was definitely a bonus! Was decent but nothing special.

The hostel was perfectly placed,great friendly staff,great value for money,only slight critisim would be bathroom needs abit of attention,apart from that I would defo return and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it

This is the finest hostel in New Zealand!! I highly recommend that you stay here. Convenient location right in city center. Have a free bike ride over to the mountain.... watch the sun rise over the harbor from the balcony. Comfortable environment.... clean.... friendly staff. You will certainly get a positive vibe from this establishment. Only drawback here is no Wifi connection. Shame on you Alina! Haha. Join the 21st century.... take care of internet problem.

I would like to get a blanket to sleep next time because it was a bit cold without any blanket.

• 20th Jun 2015

Hi, Thank you for giving us a feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you had no blanket. Our duvets are available on request and for free. We inform all our guests on check in to pick on up if you do not wish to use your own sleeping bag. After office hours our lovely Night Owl would had been more then happy to provide you with a duvet ( her room is displayed at the reception window). Next time if your stay with us we will defiantly make up for the misunderstanding. Take care & Happy travels!

Alina is an amazing human being, very kind and does her job well! Very smart, helpful and resourceful. God bless her! The hostel itself is also very clean and well maintained and in a great location by the water and night life!

Hi, Thank you very much for your very kind words. You really made my day :) I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our 4 STAR facilities hostel with the most amazing view in town - over our beautiful harbour. Thank you for pointing out the hard work of the housekeepers. Hope you had the chance to crab one of our free bikes and explored the surroundings of Tauranga too. Take care & Happy travels! Wish you an awesome time in NZ! Aline & her always smiling Harbourside Team

Perfect located in front of the shore, nice view over the bay from the rooftop terrace. Nice, clean kitchen and rooms. Staff is really nice as well.

Follow blog link below for full review. This was a pretty quick overnight for me, but once I saw that it was in the heart of a pretty cool marina area, I wished I was staying longer. It was a quick trip to the beach and seems like there is so much to do in Tauranga. The hostel even offers bikes to explore and has a ton of different activities that they'll connect you with. Only get an hour of WiFi, but it's pretty good connection. Rooftop view from the deck is killer. http://wp.me/p6eWQf-3m