Harlem YMCA Reviews

180 West 135th Street, NY 10030, New York, New York, USA

I was surprised at breakfast only free for ONE day.

This building definitely needs renovation especially the bathrooms. There are cracks in the walls with flying black bugs which have made a home. The doors are hard to close so you have to slam the bathroom door to close it. This is very annoying if you are trying to sleep and hear slams through out the night. The rooms are small but you get a refrigerator and air conditioner so that works for me.

• 29th Jun 2013
  • Haiti

The YMCA was great--we had our own room on the 10th floor with refridgeator and aircon, which was really all we needed as we didn't spend much time in. It is right next to the subway, which is easy to use and takes you to the main attractions in like 10 minutes. Also, we found the people in Harlem very friendly and helpful, aswell as the staff of the YMCA. The only thing lacking is socializing with other backpackers, which doesn't really exist here. Anyway, we would definitely stay here again :)

Our room was far from the bathroom, but we could still hear the door bang - any solutions? The pvt bathrooms weren't always clean during the last weekend in June 2013. Is that a weekend issue? Also, would be great to have locker or safety deposit facilities on site - fr passport, etc. But other than that, loved the hostel, staff and room - would definitely stay again.

Only bunk beds available not really suitable for older travellers. Bathrooms were unisex and very average . Lounge area was not available to sit in for the 3 nights we stayed.

• 23rd Jun 2013

The only good thing I can say of this place is that is just one block from a subway station

• 21st Jun 2013
  • Argentina

A block away from the subway which runs 24 hours and brings you downtown Manhattan in 15 minutes. Harlem had some great restaurants and wonderful nightlife, we stayed in the area a few times and had a blast. Hostel's also close to a grocery store. The bathrooms were in ok condition, 3 per floor and you can use the gym showers also, cleaned at least once a day although after everyone's had their shower in the morning it can be a little gross as some people are jerks. Great security at front desk

My daughter and I stayed for a week. Although a little far from most of our activities, there was subway and bus service very close and we moved back and forth with ease. We would have appreciated having wi-fi in our room because sometimes we wanted to work late but had to take the elevator and go downstairs to the common areas. However, it was more exciting in the common area to watch the NBA final games rather than in our room. Otherwise, the place met our expectations.

• 18th Jun 2013

Not a hostel but a great place to stay in New York. Love the gym and pool. Staff was very friendly.

• 18th Jun 2013

Location is great if you want to catch a Yankee's game. The staff was was really friendly and went out of way to make sure we had what we need. The security guard was very helpful and always answered our questions about the Y.

I am very happy with my stay in Harlem YMCA. I was looking for a decent place to stay at low budget, and I was pleasantly surprised with what I experienced. The room is small but good enough for sleeping; beds and towels are clean.The common bathroom was clean and can be locked so you are the only one using it. The staff were really very friendly, to mention Ruth (Membership) and Marco (Residence guard). Area of improvement is internet. There is express subway to ariport! Good experience!

• 17th Jun 2013
  • Philippines

Great place, great staff... not too far away from downtown manhattan.

Helpful staff. Located in an amazing part of town. Thank you.

it is a good place, close to subway and downtown. A very nice staff. Good value for maney.

• 14th Jun 2013

Minus - rooms a bit cramped; I bumped into some unsavoury characters near the area who called me "eh china, you know why black people pick a fight" while I was in a shop (and im not a china guy!) - luckily nothing happened.Plus - YMCA has good security scanning people who came in, the staff was very helpful, my 11th floor room can see the skyline of Manhattan. I extended my stay for 2 more days. Thanks YMCA! JUNE 2013

The staff was wonderful and very very helpful. We will be back the nex time we go to NY :) Everything was PERFECT!! Comfortable beds!! Clean!!

• 11th Jun 2013
  • Sweden

its cheap hostel and good. one bad thing is far away from city center. its 20min with subway.

The staff at the Harlem YMCA are really wonderful, very personable & went the extra mile during my stay. I visit New York several times a year and never really thought of using a Hostel. Since the Bed and Breakfast's in Harlem were booked someone suggested i try the Harlem YMCA. It was perfect! The rooms are small, but the convenience to the subway, and ability to workout in the same building can't be beat. security & a bed is all I need in NYC. Friendly staff was a welcomed lagniappe.

• 10th Jun 2013

I felt like I got exactly what I paid for at the Harlem YMCA. It's not a place to meet other people, and it's certainly not a party hostel. But the rooms were clean, the facilities were decent, and I never felt unsafe. It was especially nice to have access to the gym, and the staff members were particularly kind. This is a perfectly fine place to staff if you're looking to enjoy NYC on a budget.

The staff was great.I will be back.

• 3rd Jun 2013