Harlem YMCA Reviews

180 West 135th Street, NY 10030, New York, USA

The beds in the room that was given to me were not made, so they had to move me to another room.

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Bulgaria

The hostel needs some more women toilets and bathrooms. And a drinks machine at the common room!! Everything else was perfect!!

The Y is located in harlem, so only a short subway ride into the touristy parts of Manhattan. It's in a slightly dodgy area, but how much it affects you will be based on what kind of person you are. I thought it was fine, my boyfriend, not so much. There are no way near enough toilets and showers to meet the needs of all the occupants and given how long girls take in the sfhower, you will always have to wait or traipse through the gym to the change rooms.

Friendly staff, soviet rooms

• 15th Sep 2013

It was the cheapest we could find on manhattan, but this has a price: it is in harlem. It is a poor area, a lot of misery. It is not that i felt unsafe, it just hits one's soul. Police is nearby and also a hospital (which makes some noise in the night - bring earplugs!). The rooms were tiny, a bunk bed, with clean linens and pillows, our floor was dirty with stains and we had only one cupboard. The rooms are very old, the shower too. But were cleaned every day.

Brilliant coming back! Thx(:

• 13th Sep 2013

Had a nice stay. Althoughwith the YMCA being such a big Institution, it was rather unpersonal experience. More of a hotel than a hostel.

I can definitely recommend Harlem YMCA Hostel because they are professional. The room was clean, bathrooms and corridors are kept in an order, you have access to the elevator, fitness club, gym, swimming-pool, free wi-fi, vending machines and TV room. You have everything you need in one place. The Hostel is located in a safe area. The subway is very close and it takes 20 minutes to get to the Times Square. Big plus for no taxes! This hostel have made a good impression on me.

I stayed at the YMCA hostel from Sep 10-16, 2013 and did not have any real disappointment to speak of. Room was small, but you're in new york you shouldn't be in the room that much anyway. Security was good, bathroom was okay, only two shower heads and one didn't work that well, so i went down to the mens locker room and showered there. The two best things were the elevator and the subway about two blocks from the Y's entrance. Its a 15 min train ride to the city. All in all not a bad stay.

• 10th Sep 2013

Half block away from metro station, very handy with getting about town. Area fine. Free breakfast in near by cafe for one morning of your stay. Toilets are not the best, only 3 of the 11 floors have toilets/showers, some are unisex, most are men's, and a few ladies. So quite often a queue even to just use the toilet. Kitchenette had sink and microwave but no utensils etc.

Worst hostel ever. ONE ladies bathroom for the WHOLE floor with shower and toilet in the same room. Bathrooms always flooded and drains covered with hair. Disgusting!! Also, the rooms are tiny and there's only two outlets in the whole room that are already used for fridge

• 9th Sep 2013

Dear A, We are very sorry that you had such a negative experience during your stay with us! Please know that we will be relaying your feedback to our housekeeping supervisor, and as we renovate our rooms we will look at options for additional outlets. We hope that when you checked in you received our welcome information that stated where additional restrooms and showers could be found on the adjacent floors and in our fitness center. Sincerely, Thalia Harlem Y Guest Rooms Director

I state that "Facilities" were "very poor" because the water was unexpectedly shut off on two days, in addition to one announced day. I had to go to an evening show without showering after a hot workout. Also, on a fourth day, the toilets on my floor would not flush.

Clean, quiet, great view, minutes walk from subway. Great gym, class and steam/ sauna. Local soul food. Friendly staff.

• 5th Sep 2013

there was a big problem with water, rest rooms were disguting because of it.

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Slovakia

There is no kitchen, that's the bad point !

the room is too small. plus, we have to wait for the restrooms for ages. the lock of our room was also problematic. but the location is really nice. it only took me two minutes to get to the railway station.

• 2nd Sep 2013
  • China

Harlem is such an awesome place to stay. The staff are so wonderful and helpful! Make sure you ask the front desk for what levels the bathrooms are on. Yes they are not on every level but it is no big deal, u have a voice, use it! There is a pool and a gym there is a common room and a place to hang outside. The staff really make you feel at home as well- and the subway is SO close and takes you right downtown. Anyway- be stupid not to stay here. Worth Your while :) (p.s not a party place)

When I arrived at YMCA Harlem, there was no record of my booking through your site, which is not part of the YMCA corp. I was required to pay a different rate that I had pre-booked via your site. I would like to receive full reimbursement of Of my original deposit of $25 lmmediately or I will be forced to contact both state and federal authorities regarding this matter especially when this has occurred several times. Please respond immediately regarding my reimbursement. Please respond A.S.A.P.

• 1st Sep 2013

Dear J, We sincerely apologize that you experienced this inconvenience during your stay with us! I will be contacting you directly regarding how to proceed so that we can refund you the difference. Please know that we do honor online booking rates at check-in and as long as you can provide the confirmation from the site we will apply those rates even if the booking has not yet been transferred to our system. Sincerely, Thalia Harlem Y Guest Rooms Director

Really value for money, but the atmosphere is not good enough.

Good staff and price. Located near metro station so you can easily get to downtown. Good price for NYC.

• 29th Aug 2013