Harlem YMCA Reviews

180 West 135th Street, NY 10030, New York, USA

Clean, quiet, great view, minutes walk from subway. Great gym, class and steam/ sauna. Local soul food. Friendly staff.

• 5th Sep 2013

there was a big problem with water, rest rooms were disguting because of it.

• 5th Sep 2013
  • Slovakia

There is no kitchen, that's the bad point !

the room is too small. plus, we have to wait for the restrooms for ages. the lock of our room was also problematic. but the location is really nice. it only took me two minutes to get to the railway station.

• 2nd Sep 2013
  • China

Harlem is such an awesome place to stay. The staff are so wonderful and helpful! Make sure you ask the front desk for what levels the bathrooms are on. Yes they are not on every level but it is no big deal, u have a voice, use it! There is a pool and a gym there is a common room and a place to hang outside. The staff really make you feel at home as well- and the subway is SO close and takes you right downtown. Anyway- be stupid not to stay here. Worth Your while :) (p.s not a party place)

When I arrived at YMCA Harlem, there was no record of my booking through your site, which is not part of the YMCA corp. I was required to pay a different rate that I had pre-booked via your site. I would like to receive full reimbursement of Of my original deposit of $25 lmmediately or I will be forced to contact both state and federal authorities regarding this matter especially when this has occurred several times. Please respond immediately regarding my reimbursement. Please respond A.S.A.P.

• 1st Sep 2013

Dear J, We sincerely apologize that you experienced this inconvenience during your stay with us! I will be contacting you directly regarding how to proceed so that we can refund you the difference. Please know that we do honor online booking rates at check-in and as long as you can provide the confirmation from the site we will apply those rates even if the booking has not yet been transferred to our system. Sincerely, Thalia Harlem Y Guest Rooms Director

Really value for money, but the atmosphere is not good enough.

Good staff and price. Located near metro station so you can easily get to downtown. Good price for NYC.

• 29th Aug 2013
  • Ukraine

Kinda felt like we were staying on a ship, hostel was secure and the staff were very friendly, however we didnt feel very safe in the area.

• 27th Aug 2013

YMCA had closed entire facility other than guest rooms for an entire the refurbishment the week we stayed. Entire building a construction site, construction workers everywhere, noises and disruptive. Woke up to a construction worker looking in through my bedroom window at 8am, on the 10th floor. Facilities advertised, pool, gym ect all closed for construction work. Each floor has only 3 bathrooms for in excess of 60 guests, only toilets were in with showers, so always occupied.

Dear C, We are so sorry that you had a negative experience during your stay. We only close our fitness facility for this one week during the year and put up notifications regarding the facility improvement week for months in advance on our website. Unfortunately, we do not have a way to ensure that all the online booking sites display the same information. Please look for a follow-up email directly from us. Sincerely, Thalia Harlem YMCA Guest Rooms Director

I love it!!!!

• 19th Aug 2013
  • Mexico

Harlem is a great place to stand, especial during harlem week! The hostel is then in the middle of the harlem week party with concerts and a colorful market place! There is no breakfast and no available kitchen. Also the bathrooms are not really clean. It was okay and a pretty nice experience but I was also happy to stay just one night. The suff is perfect and couldn't do better.

It is a great place if you want to save some money. There were housekeeping everyday and I liked the swimming pool and saunas. Harlem is an interesting place to see anyway, however the location wasn´t the best one. It can take 20-30 min to downtown. In any case I can recommend this place if you are not afraid of small rooms.

• Finland

Overall we had a very pleasant stay. The only thing was we were staying on the seventh floor and there was only one female shower room and in the men's showers there was no shower curtain between the showers. Apart from this it was fine.

• 16th Aug 2013

The rooms were small and the price was not worth it. In addition there is no coordination between Hostels.com and the Harlem YMCA in regards to pricing. I booked what I thought was a deal on Hostels.com, only to find out that the YMCA did not recognize this discount. This was very deceptive on the part of hostels.com. So I ended up paying $115 for a room that was advertised by hostels.com at a discount of $68. I will never use the hostels.com website again or the YMCA in New York.

• 16th Aug 2013

Dear G, We sincerely apologize that you experienced this inconvenience during your stay with us! Please know that we do in fact honor the rates that you book your room at online. If you could forward your booking confirmation from Hostel.com to us directly, I will personally make sure that the difference is refunded to you as quickly as possible! Again we are very sorry you experienced this! Sincerely, Thalia Harlem Y Guest Rooms Director

All the staff from the front desk to the cleaning staff have been excellent...especially at this price range! I extended my stay because of it.

• 15th Aug 2013

Very helpful staff, safe and clean room for such a low price. However the Wifi did not work.

• 15th Aug 2013

A lot of black mold in the shower, most of the grout lines in the 2nd and 3rd shower have black mold on them. Black mold around the shower door. The only mirrors are in the bathrooms. Some rooms have a chair and some do not. Need a mirror in every room, add a chair in every room and remove the black mold from the 10th Floor showers.

• 14th Aug 2013

Dear L, Thank you very much for your valuable feedback! We have alerted our housekeeping supervisor of the mold issue you reported in the showers and will definitely make sure there is a mirror and chair in every room as we come into our slower season and are able to make some upgrades! We hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future! Kind regards, Thalia Harlem Y Guest Rooms Director

It's far from downtown, but there's a subway station on the corner that will take you to Times Square in 15 minutes. Even though it's not the safest part of NYC, this street seems pretty safe and we never had any problems. They changed the towels and made up the room everyday.

Although it's up in Harlem the location is quite good and close to the subway. The staff was always very nice and the security was very high. There was only one bathroom for women on our floor, but since there didn't seem to that many girls, it wasn't actually a problem for us...