Harlem YMCA Reviews

180 West 135th Street, NY 10030, New York, USA

There are 3 floors in the facility in which women are allowed. Each of those floors only has one bathroom for all women on that floor. When I say one bathroom, I mean a bathroom with one shower, one sink, and one toilet. The restrooms were constantly in use. Your other option is to go all the way down to the 2nd floor and use the women's locker room. The problem is that the elevators are slow (and only the freight elevator was running for part of our stay).

• 12th Oct 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback! We currently have plans to add additional bathrooms on our guest floors to meet the growing demand. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and hope that you'll have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future so you may experience the changes! Sincerely, Thalia

This place was fine for us because all we really did was sleep there and then spent all day in the city. Relatively safe location but a bit too far from Time Square. It sucked that there was only one girls toilet on the entire floor. Rooms were clean, shower SUCKED! For the price I was satisfied.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback! We currently have plans to add additional bathrooms on our guest floors to meet the growing demand, and hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future to experience these changes! Sincerely, Thalia

Really nice place, cool staff, clean rooms, a lots of facilities. The metro station is a block away to move everywhere. I recommend the Harlem YMCA.

• 7th Oct 2013
  • Mexico

Thank you for taking the time to review our location! We hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again soon!

DEFINITELY I WILL STAY AGAIN IN HERE. I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE STAFF EVEN HELP ME TO CALL FOR A TAXI. AND THE PLACE IS JUST 3 MIN WALKING FROM THE SUBWAY. ABOUT THE SECURITY....THE FIRST DAY I WENT BY WALKING AT MIDNIGHT AND IT WAS SO QUITE. BY THE WAY, IT WAS THE FIRST TIME MY PARENTS STAYED AT A HOSTEL AND THEY WERE AFRAID ABOUT IT BUT AFTER IT.....THEY TALKED EXCELLENT THINGS (ALL CLEAN, FRIENDLY STAFF, SECURE AND THE BATHS ALWAYS AVAILABLE), SO FOR THAT......THANKS AND SEE U SOON

• 4th Oct 2013
  • Mexico

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We look forward to having you back soon!

Awful bathroom. Too noisy.

• 3rd Oct 2013

3 of us stayed here for 7 days. The whole experience was fantastic! he rooms are very basic but we only slept in them, which they are perfect for. Facilities are fantastic and would definatley stay here again. Thank you so much!!

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • All Male Group, 41+

Restrooms\Bathrooms were limited, even having access to 11,10 & 7th floor - there were lines and jams both in the morning and evenings. Not a big deal but would be nice at least to have separate restrooms))

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We currently have plans to add additional restrooms to the floors to meet the growing demand. We hope you'll have an opportunity to return in the future to experience the improvements! Sincerely, Thalia, Guest Rooms Director

I had an amazing stay at Harlem YMCA. If i come back to New York I would definitely stay there again.

• 28th Sep 2013
  • Bulgaria

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We look forward to hosting you again!

Easy to find with the glowing sign of the YMCA from a distance as soon as one arrives from the subway. Easily accessible. Cleanliness can be improved. Nice staff.

The facility is very basic, but given the price that is to be expected. I stayed on the 7th floor and a small tv and a safety deposit box in the room is not too much to ask...

• 27th Sep 2013

Although it's a cheap hostel in Manhattan Island but I highly suggest think twice before you book it. The location is both good and bad - you can get to Times Square by subway in 10 minutes subway; but it's not a safe area (ex. I saw two cops restrain a teenager by cuff inside subway station). Another problem is too many people share three bathroom per floor. The other thing is that you can never make sure the (bathroom/ bedroom) door is locked or not as it's a really old hostel.

The Y looks great after the renovation. The free breakfast is a nice welcome. Good team effort. Fantastic swimming pool. It is us, guests from all over the world who speak loudly in the corridors past midnight or decide to party without concern to others. A hostel is only as good as its guests.

• 26th Sep 2013
  • India

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We look forward to having you back soon!

Convenient location, very closed to subway station. Room is very small and only few bathrooms shared among the whole floor.

Just a good place to stay in New York. Nothing more and nothing less. One bathroom for women per floor within a combination of shower and wc means queuing in the morning if you are not willing to change the floor 2nd floor locker-rooms. The staff is perfect and the place itself is safe. Decide yourself if you also feel safe when you are back late in Harlem. Though the distance between subway and YMCA is short I felt a little uncomfortable coming home at night.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Good hostel - though only 3 floors were for guests, rest had permanent residents. Staff were very friendly and helpful - the free gym and pool were excellent. However, bathrooms were not great & could be cleaner. Location was average, but close to a subway station which was a bonus, the area (Harlem) felt slightly intimidating at night/ early morning.

Bathroom steel doors in Floor 10 sag and hit the frames upon closing, making loud thumping noises constantly heard throughout the floor; as an architect, I suggest replacing door hinges with new ball-bearing units and adding standard rubber silencers to the steel door frames. Also, the worn door hardware is prone to lockups, my wife witnessed a guest banging on the door from the inside of a bathroom, she was trapped. Our room did not look as nice as the photo on your website.

• 22nd Sep 2013
  • Panama

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We will be sure to share your suggestions with our property manager and hope to implement the changes you suggested! We are sorry that the room was not up to expectations, we are still in the process of completing room renovations on two of our other floors and hope that work will be completed before the end of next year. Sincerely, Thalia, Guest Rooms Director

I stayed 5 nights in a single room in Harlem YMCA. Richard and his team are very kind and professional. There is good access to public transport like bus and subway downtown. First night you receive a breakfast voucher for free. The place is very clean and safe and imaginably not luxurious with a two floor bed and shared bathrooms. But on the other hand there is a well equipped gym, a 20 meter pool, a steam bath and sauna included in the price, which is top value for money in Manhattan.

• 21st Sep 2013
  • Austria

The beds in the room that was given to me were not made, so they had to move me to another room.

• 20th Sep 2013
  • Bulgaria

The hostel needs some more women toilets and bathrooms. And a drinks machine at the common room!! Everything else was perfect!!

The Y is located in harlem, so only a short subway ride into the touristy parts of Manhattan. It's in a slightly dodgy area, but how much it affects you will be based on what kind of person you are. I thought it was fine, my boyfriend, not so much. There are no way near enough toilets and showers to meet the needs of all the occupants and given how long girls take in the sfhower, you will always have to wait or traipse through the gym to the change rooms.