Harlem YMCA Reviews

180 West 135th Street, NY 10030, New York, New York, USA

The advantages of Harlem YMCA are price; proximity to subway and bus lines; ability to use the Y gym, pool, sauna and exercise classes. The rooms are clean, dormitory-like with a TV, bunk beds, and fridge. The fridge in my room had a very noisy hum - ok for a very sound sleeper. The women's wash room has not been updated in many years; so despite being clean it still didn't feel fresh. Overall quite adequate for a low maintenance , super budget conscious traveler.

• 31st Mar 2014

I enjoyed stayng there and the staff was nice . The only thing I would say that the cleanliness was por.

• 21st Mar 2014
  • Spain

The reception staff was awesome! They went the extra mile to make sure my wife and I had the information to make our stay a pleasant one. Sometimes you expect less from an experience then you get much more than you bargained for; that was my overall experience at the Harlem Y. Yes, the rooms are small and you have to share a bathroom, but the place was clean, we got daily room service, and the staff was friendly and courteous.

• 19th Mar 2014
  • Couple, 41+

good location and worth for money in place like Newyork city

• 19th Mar 2014
  • India

Hostel was near the subway station, only one block walk. Security 24/7. Area wasn't as bad as what you might heard. Toilet and shower were clean ( I stayed in 7th floor). Mattress was horrible to sleep, or even sit on it.

• 12th Mar 2014
  • Finland

Dear R, Thank you for your valuable feedback! We will check the mattress in your room and make sure it is replaced with a more comfortable one. We apologize that you could not have had a more comfortable stay, and hope that you will have another opportunity in the future to stay with us! Thalia Harlem YMCA Guest Rooms Management

The room had only a bed, a refrigerator and a kind of a sideboard. I couldn't hang any clothes in there. So I had to lay my suitcase on top of the refrigerator to safe some space. Because the room had the size of a broom chamber. Having said that I really enjoyed the gym very much with the newest equipment.

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Switzerland

Dear B, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a more comfortable stay, and hope that you will have an opportunity to come back and stay with us again in the future so that we may be able to provide you with a better experience. Our rooms do have some variance in size, and most have closets, and we would be more than happy to place you in a room more suitable to your needs! Kind regards, Thalia Harlem YMCA Guest Rooms Mgmt

Security was not up to standard given quite a few of the floors were dedicated to transitional residents and as a consequence the elevator should have a swipe-key facility to allow for more appropriate security. The 11th floor only had one female bathroom and it was not maintained properly. The heating for the room was absolutely shocking and non-existent, which is appalling for the current weather conditions. The sidewalk was not properly salted given the weather conditions.

• 15th Jan 2014

Dear N, Thank you for your valuable feedback! We will definitely take your suggestions under consideration and try to implement some of your suggestions. We sincerely apologize that your stay with us was not more comfortable and we will speak with our housekeeping and building services staff about these issues. Regards, Thalia Harlem YMCA Guest Rooms Management

- Situated in Harlem, a bit far away from turistic places (20min metro) - Positive point is that it is very next to the subway station - The rooms are very small, the hostel is not very nice compared to others - Sometimes showers and restrooms were a bit dirty, there was dust when arriving in the room - I would recommand this hostel if you don't want to pay too much for a private room in NY, but that's definitely not the best I've been to

• 1st Jan 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again soon!

There was only one girls bathroom for the whole floor, but there are additional bathrooms on other floors if you dont mind to walk there. It was very loud in the room, because of sound that came through the heating pipes. The location in Harlem is good and has good connection to the metro.

• 31st Dec 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We are happy to hear you enjoyed staying with us and found it convenient. We hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again soon!

Personnel très aimable qui n'hésite pas à vous aider si vous avez des questions.

Friendly staff, we arrives in the early morning and the gentleman checked with housekeeping and offered early check in! Nice In room wifi connection is good Highly accessible! only two to three minute walk from 135 street in subway line 2 and 3.

• 29th Dec 2013
  • Hong Kong

Je reviendrai dans cette auberge qui est très bien située. Le personnel est très sympa et n'hésite pas à aider si problème. Hate d'y retourner car NY est une ville magnifique

• 25th Dec 2013

Although security cameras were in place, only parts of the property were monitored. Unfortunately, theft happened at the unmonitored corner and the staff could not do anything at all. That is what other hostelers should be careful with.

Very good place well located in NYC, worth it!

The rooms are nice, however it seems the hostel is open to people who live on the streets that gives a sense of insecurity. Additionally, I wish for the price I could have had brekfast at the hostel.

It would be nice to have access to the Internet in your room.

• 20th Dec 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We do offer WiFi in all common areas on guestrooms floors and our lounge were we offer a business center with computer & internet access, we hope you had a chance to use it. We are also working on providing WiFi access in our rooms. We hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again soon!

The bathroom is awful and dirty always! No cleaning!

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the state of the restrooms. We do have a 24 hr cleaning company in house and have coordinated with them servicing the restrooms. We hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again soon to see the improvements!

Staff is really nice, helpful and respectful, the security staff made me feel very safe, they check everyone that enters the building.

• 12th Dec 2013
  • Mexico

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We are happy to hear you enjoyed stay with us. Our staff strive to provide the best service possible which will please them to know their efforts were noticed. We hope you'll have a chance to stay with us again soon!

I appreciated the low rates to stay so close to town. The staff was great, the location was perfect. I do think the room and bathrooms need a deep cleaning.

• 11th Dec 2013

For one night ok. The room was totally different than the picture at the internet, but I think clean... There was a fridge in the room what made noise the hole time and I think the window was broken because the hole night it was super cold and so loud. I could hear everything from the outside. The men's bathroom looked much better than the woman's one and I would never take a shower there or so... But the stuff was very friendly and helpful. But how I said at the beginning it was only one night

• 7th Dec 2013