Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

There was no sheets ready at 8.30pm Friday night - I know there were troubles with the laundry, but that was frustrating.

This place is a maze with so many different corridors and rooms, but I liked it. Breakfast is free, but pretty basic. Location could be a little better, but it's acceptable. You have to go to the common room on the top floor to get wi-fi. My room was clean, and the attached bathroom was spacious.

The staff was all really helpful and the hostel was well located and maintained. The room I got was a bit smelly (103) but from what I understand the majority of the rooms are more recently renovated and nice and not smelly. I do think it was also somewhat overpriced but given the lack of options in Birmingham, I suppose you can get away with it. Overall great stay and I would recommend it!

• 1st Oct 2014

There was a slight smell in the rooms which could be solved with some cheap air fresheners or more air circulation.

• 28th Sep 2014

The hostel was clean and conveniently located and the beds were comfy. There was one member of staff who was extremely rude and when I asked him a reasonable question, responded with "Am I not speaking English?" - so that individual spoilt things a little, but other than that, everything was great.

• 27th Sep 2014

Staff were very helpful & the bar crawl was good fun!

• 26th Sep 2014

Our room was really stuffy and there were no windows that we could open. When we asked the staff about it, they just shrugged (in fact, the one at the reception didn't even know whether there were windows in our room) and eventually passed us a fan that we could use. The windows were filthy and there was even chewing gum stuck to the wall next to my bed. Staff did not tell us the check out time, or the fact that there was a PC lounge in the next door building. Extremely disappointing stay!

I've stayed in this hostel for a number of years and, except for the lack of security lockers in each room, it was fine. The last two times I stayed there the internet was pretty much not working the whole 4 days I was there. It seems like every guest was complaining about this problem, but the front desk was not able to fix the problem and management was unable or unwilling to fix it as well. This hostel use to have decent internet in past years but has gone downhill rapidly in the present.

Need security lockers location far from center and through dark and isolated industrial section

very interesting hostel..i've never been to one like this -in a very positive way ;)

Internet did not work; Night-receptionist was very unfriendly and even though we had checked in earlier but it was before check in time, night-receptionist told us we were split up in two different 4-bed-rooms! For no money reimbursed we were downgraded to a 6-bed-room, just because their organisation was so bad. Security was good! Beds were very clean!! huge Plus! Breakfast was not enough for everybody, at 09:00 there was no milk or musli left. Could not sleep as a green light was constantly on

Kind of grunge but has a cool vibe

I stayed in the hostel for one night. I didn't like the carpet in the bedroom, which makes it not that clean inn my opinion, and the atmosphere in the hostel. The hostel is about in he middle of the (ugly) city centre and the Jewellery Quarter. It takes quite a while to go there from the train station. The breakfast is ok.

The hostel is out of the city centre, in an unsafe area. For a woman travelling on her own I would not go out after dark which was restricting. It was a long walk from the bus station with bags, almost an hour as it's not straight forward. The bathroom was constantly wet and smelled badly of damp mold. The atmosphere was terrible unless you were a young person drinking alcohol every night. The hostel is huge and the kitchen cannot accommodate for the amount of guests.

The staff was really nice, the bathrooms were clean and the breakfast was a nice extra. A great hostel, even for longer stays.

My opinion hasn't changed about Hatters, they are very good ... But I was just let down by Internet this time, it was frustratingly slow and disconnecting all the time, in fact it was next to non-existence I wouldn't mind if Hatters said they don't have WIFI instead of saying they have it when it is like that. That's all, other wise the Hostel in general is brilliant as always. And also, we used to have wifi connection in rooms, but that has all gone now :(

This is my second time staying here and I just love it! Will deffo b in again at some time soon. Thank you

I really liked the cool and funky style with lots of places to hang out, however, the kitchen was always really messy in the evenings which made it difficult to make food.

• 6th Sep 2014

Great location and great staff, I like the way the large dorm was separated, however two showers and one toilet (for males) just doesn't cut it, and the showers were in desperate need of a proper clean!

We booked for a 12 dorm, but were in a 6, although the two toilets were shared between about 20 people ( this didn't pose much of a problem for us as we were up early and back late). The continental breakfast consists of cereal and toast. You have to bring your own locks to use for the lockers in the dorm. The dorms, kitchen, and eating area were all nice and clean. Overall it was an enjoyable stay and the location is fantastic just a couple of minutes from the metro station.

• 4th Sep 2014