Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

Booked a 6 dorm room for a band. In the morning we discovered someone stole our spare tyre from the van we parked outside the hostel. The next day I booked a twin room. In the option check in time I chose 4am. I also phoned the hostel to confirm the reservation. However, the people who were gonna sleep there were said they couldn't have stayed because it was too late and the system couldn't accept the payment. So they were left without a place to stay at 4am and the deposit was lost.

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Poland

Wifi was only available in the lounge, and was so slow I could not even load Google. The shower in the bedroom was also pretty average. Not very hot and terrible water flow.

• 11th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

I felt a bit concerned when I saw the location of the hostel as it feels a bit away from everything, but it is actually fine once you're inside. The only thing that let it down was that there were no lockers in the rooms and the bathroom didn't feel too clean. On a good note, the breakfast was decent for a hostel (muesli, yogurt, toast, orange juice, fruit) and there was a nice communal area around the kitchen. My room was also nice and warm!

• 4th Dec 2014

Good place to stay, well equipped, pretty good breakfast and staff are cool. Just a shame our bedroom walls were made from paper! Will be staying here again, just with earplugs next time ; )

• 28th Nov 2014

Thanks for the great review. If you are having problems sleeping next time that you stay, just pop over to reception and the receptionist will be happy to provide you with earplugs free of charge! See you next time!

Stayed 2 nights. In need of a proper common room for people to converse. Clean, friendly staff and reasonably located.

Cheap, clean and cozy. Good service. Good location with a few bars in the area. 10-15 min walking from the centre. A really good choice. :)

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. Next time be sure to stay at the weekend to enjoy our legendary Friday night pub crawls.

Somebody left their baggage on my assigned bed. I had to tell reception and they remade my bed. I like the idea of the hostel set up. I was in the 16 bed dorm the rooms were separated into blocks of four with washrooms at the end of the room. Breakfast is your standard continental with coco pops! I had a small issue with the shower. The lights are sensor and while showering the lights turned off. Mid shower I had to get out and find the sensor. Place was clean, staff were alright.

With only the intention having a place to sleep for the weekend; I ended up staying for nearly a week due to my enjoyment. All the staff were welcoming and charismatic, which very quickly made me feel at ease with them and everyone else in the vicinity. From giving instructions on how to play pool to free candy--Sharing seemed to be quite a theme here. Luke, who led the "Friday Night Pub Crawl", was particularly accommodating in looking after us (even as inebriated as we became) and thereafter.

• 21st Nov 2014

It was great having your smiley face around the place for the week. We look forward to your return!

The room was not nice at all, not as nice as it showed on the pictures, dirty walls, stained carpet and the shower did not have the shower head so the water jet was really unpleasant. Internet did not work anywhere. They sent me to the lounge room saying that it would work there but it was not true.On Tuesday evening it said free dinner from 7pm to 8pm, but that did not happened.I went at the reception around 9pm and the receptionist said that the chef was sick, but did mention it on check-in.

the hostel was excellent, not hard to be find, with free wifi, the staff is nice and helpful, luke said i have to mention he is the best in their, totally i love this hostel, and will be back for sure

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your thoughts. We're glad that you enjoyed your time here. I'm sure Luke has posted your cheque by now ;)

It was pretty average all around. No lockers in the room. Booked a female dorm and was placed in a mixed dorm. In a dodgy area of town that I did not feel comfortable walking around alone. Cold showers in the room and no proper door to the shower. I would not recommend!

We're sorry to hear about the issues that you had when you stayed here. If you feel there has been a mistake with your reservation or you're not happy with anything at all be sure to mention it to the receptionist who will do whatever possible to remedy the situation.

Lot's of additional services available to feel better like at home. Staffs was very helpful. Best value for money.

Be sure to stay on your next visit to Birmingham and we will try to improve, even upon such a great review!

I stayed for 2 nights with a friend at the 6x4 dorms, and we loved it. The toilets were amazing btw. At least the girls' toilets. Location is not the best but it's ok, the only thing was coming back at night the heating was off and therefore really cold in the room. I think the heating was on a bit in the evening only. But overall facilities are great. Would recommend to anyone.

Obrigado amiga! We're very happy that you had a good time here and look forward to welcoming you again. Ate proxima!

It was my 2nd time staying here. Not much change from last time, except no more free shower gel in shower like last time. Luckily I did bring my own one so not a problem. I stayed in room 101 next to the stairs with people going up and down. Ear-plugs are highly recommended and again I did bring my own pair. Other good things were still there including key card room access, ensuite room, breakfast and TV lounge. Not a bad stay after all.

We're glad that you enjoyed your return stay. We do actually still provide shower gel, this must have just been an oversight on the day that you were staying. See you next time!

Alright location, room was quite dirty with stained carpet, bed was extremely hard so didn't sleep well

I stayed very briefly, but it seemed like a friendly and cool place. My only complaint is that the bathrooms weren't clean and properly stocked, otherwise I found it very comfortable and would glady stay again.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. In shared dormitories it can be difficult to keep the shower rooms clean at all times sue to the high amount of traffic however if you let us know at reception that it needs a bit of a clean we'll be happy to oblige. :) See you next time!

The location is away from city centre. It is a bit scary to walk back to the hostel at night. The wifi doesnt work. Or else, the atmosphere was nice and friendly. The staff were very helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. The hostel is located right in the middle of the Jewellery Quarter and only a five minute walk from the heart of the city centre, perhaps you took a long route without realising? Next time that you stay be sure to ask at reception and we'll be sure to show you the quick way!

Nice Stuff, but cold room and could have been cleaner.

We stayed two nights in a private room with own bathroom and were amazed because we felt like in a proper Hotel instead of a Hostel with a nice price for that kind of room. Staff was really kind and helpful, we felt very welcomed. The location is actually not so far as we thought. We took part in the pub crawl offered on fridays and had a nice evening with all the other guests. If we were ever back to Birmingham we would definitely choose the Hatters again.

Be sure to stay again on your next visit to Birmingham and we will try our best to improve upon perfection! :)

I stayed here for one night before catching a flight, and it was a nice hostel. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm which had a huge bathroom and bath mat (luxury!), the bed was a bit hard. The staff were kind and helpful, there is only internet in the common room which didn't have much of a vibe, it was just everyone sitting in the dark on their phones. Kitchen facilities looked great and the breakfast was good. Everything was nice and clean, bit of a walk to the city centre.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5