Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

It was pretty average all around. No lockers in the room. Booked a female dorm and was placed in a mixed dorm. In a dodgy area of town that I did not feel comfortable walking around alone. Cold showers in the room and no proper door to the shower. I would not recommend!

• 15th Nov 2014

Lot's of additional services available to feel better like at home. Staffs was very helpful. Best value for money.

I stayed for 2 nights with a friend at the 6x4 dorms, and we loved it. The toilets were amazing btw. At least the girls' toilets. Location is not the best but it's ok, the only thing was coming back at night the heating was off and therefore really cold in the room. I think the heating was on a bit in the evening only. But overall facilities are great. Would recommend to anyone.

It was my 2nd time staying here. Not much change from last time, except no more free shower gel in shower like last time. Luckily I did bring my own one so not a problem. I stayed in room 101 next to the stairs with people going up and down. Ear-plugs are highly recommended and again I did bring my own pair. Other good things were still there including key card room access, ensuite room, breakfast and TV lounge. Not a bad stay after all.

Alright location, room was quite dirty with stained carpet, bed was extremely hard so didn't sleep well

I stayed very briefly, but it seemed like a friendly and cool place. My only complaint is that the bathrooms weren't clean and properly stocked, otherwise I found it very comfortable and would glady stay again.

The location is away from city centre. It is a bit scary to walk back to the hostel at night. The wifi doesnt work. Or else, the atmosphere was nice and friendly. The staff were very helpful.

Nice Stuff, but cold room and could have been cleaner.

We stayed two nights in a private room with own bathroom and were amazed because we felt like in a proper Hotel instead of a Hostel with a nice price for that kind of room. Staff was really kind and helpful, we felt very welcomed. The location is actually not so far as we thought. We took part in the pub crawl offered on fridays and had a nice evening with all the other guests. If we were ever back to Birmingham we would definitely choose the Hatters again.

Be sure to stay again on your next visit to Birmingham and we will try our best to improve upon perfection! :)

I stayed here for one night before catching a flight, and it was a nice hostel. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm which had a huge bathroom and bath mat (luxury!), the bed was a bit hard. The staff were kind and helpful, there is only internet in the common room which didn't have much of a vibe, it was just everyone sitting in the dark on their phones. Kitchen facilities looked great and the breakfast was good. Everything was nice and clean, bit of a walk to the city centre.

Hostel has a good kitchen and common area which makes it very easy to meet fellow backpackers. Staff are friendly and willing to give advice about the city and what's happening around the place. Beds are great with individual power socket, light and curtain for added privacy.

Nice place close to the city centre. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• 19th Oct 2014

We aim to please! See you next time!

Could be worse, could be better. Location is quite fine and guys from the security and staff in general are friendly. However, the men toilets smells permanently (since the toilets don't flush), rooms are quite noisy, and the WiFi is not working in the rooms.

We're sorry to hear that the toilets wouldn't flush during your stay, however rest assured that if you have a quick word with the staff we'll do our best to make sure that any issues are resolved as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, see you next time!

This place is a maze with so many different corridors and rooms, but I liked it. Breakfast is free, but pretty basic. Location could be a little better, but it's acceptable. You have to go to the common room on the top floor to get wi-fi. My room was clean, and the attached bathroom was spacious.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We often find that a ball of string helps when navigating the labyrinth! ;) See you next time!

The staff was all really helpful and the hostel was well located and maintained. The room I got was a bit smelly (103) but from what I understand the majority of the rooms are more recently renovated and nice and not smelly. I do think it was also somewhat overpriced but given the lack of options in Birmingham, I suppose you can get away with it. Overall great stay and I would recommend it!

• 1st Oct 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we're glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. Unfortunately when you stay in a shared room it can be difficult to control the less shower-prone individuals that you may on some rare occasions be unlucky enough cohabit with. Please be assured that we do clean all of the rooms daily and that the vast majority of our guests are just as fragrant and floral as our staff! We look forward to welcoming you back next time that you come to Birmingham.

There was a slight smell in the rooms which could be solved with some cheap air fresheners or more air circulation.

• 28th Sep 2014

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we;re glad that you enjoyed your time here. We will take your comments into consideration and we look forward to welcoming you again next time that you are in Birmingham.

The hostel was clean and conveniently located and the beds were comfy. There was one member of staff who was extremely rude and when I asked him a reasonable question, responded with "Am I not speaking English?" - so that individual spoilt things a little, but other than that, everything was great.

• 27th Sep 2014

Staff were very helpful & the bar crawl was good fun!

• 26th Sep 2014

Our room was really stuffy and there were no windows that we could open. When we asked the staff about it, they just shrugged (in fact, the one at the reception didn't even know whether there were windows in our room) and eventually passed us a fan that we could use. The windows were filthy and there was even chewing gum stuck to the wall next to my bed. Staff did not tell us the check out time, or the fact that there was a PC lounge in the next door building. Extremely disappointing stay!

I've stayed in this hostel for a number of years and, except for the lack of security lockers in each room, it was fine. The last two times I stayed there the internet was pretty much not working the whole 4 days I was there. It seems like every guest was complaining about this problem, but the front desk was not able to fix the problem and management was unable or unwilling to fix it as well. This hostel use to have decent internet in past years but has gone downhill rapidly in the present.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5