Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

I stayed in the dorms, and for £12 I can have no complaints at all! If you pay next to nothing then you can't expect an amazing stay.. But being honest, I did have an amazing stay! Pros; free wifi throughout worked great, TV lounge was relaxed and friendly, kitchen was large enough for around 15 guests to help cook for each other while I was there, I didn't have a padlock for the lockers, so left items unlocked and nobody touched them for 2 days! Cons; below average showers! That's all! Enjoy!

• 27th Jul 2015

This is 3rd time at Hatters and always enjoyed it.This time better than ever with new extension and dorms.

I stayed in the "sleeper" downstair, i can clearly hear people on top during the whole night

the bed was comfortable and the shower was great although cut out occasionally. All rooms accessed by keycard and there was a locker available for each bed, make sure you have a padlock if you want to use it. They told me to keep hold of a card as I would be denied entry after 11 without it. I arrived back at 1am, noone checked it. No hot water in the kitchen, felt very wierd washing my plate in ice cold water. Lots of work underway... not a bad place as limited options in Birmingham

Reception open for me to check-in @ 12am = improved holiday experiences Parking available outside door - able to stay there free of charge until 12pm Dorms divided into smaller "rooms" of 4 bunks & each individual bunk curtained off (w light & power outlet) = heaps of privacy & less disturbance. Bunks do squeak a lot Bathroom = overflowing bins, mouldy/dirty, showers don't drain, no toilet paper or hand towels Clean, dry prep room off bathroom was a good addition Lots of nice common areas

Really enjoyed it.. Felt totally safe & had a very friendly staff. I ended up coming back to hatters for 2 more nights. The location is about a 10-15 minute walk from anything worth seeing but it was definitely worth what I paid to stay at this hostel

Good hostel and friendly staff

Really good value for money. The hostel had everything you could have wanted. great experience.

Internet access back in the rooms :) :) :) and free ....

Very helpful and friendly staff and I had no overall issues. The location is very to the centre but not in the nicest of areas, which can't be helped really. I would go again though :)

The window in our room (208) was about to fall and maybe kill someone. Really dangerous.

Hi, Thanks for the review we will take action immediately on this. We hope you have had a good time. thanks General Manger

I was only at the hostel very briefly (one night), but I slept so well I missed my alarm and was almost late for my Congress! The curtains in my room didn't serve for much once the sun was out, but since I sleep with eye-shades and ear-plugs, I was fine. I'm afraid I didn't even get to see the breakfast (as I was late for my appointment), but I really liked my room (double private - ensuite) and thought it was really good value for money! =)

• 26th Jun 2015

Hi , Fantastic to see you enjoyed your stay. I'm glad you slept so well in our comfy beds, I'm sorry the curtains did not do much but at least we have the sun now and the summertime can really start. We look forward to seeing you back at hatters in the future definitely drop us a line if you are back in the area! General Manager

The staff can be a little too lax at times. I rang the bell five times and couldn't get in, only thanks to someone leaving did I get into the hostel. Then I was able to rummage in my bag in the luggage room without being asked any questions, I could have been anyone! The room layout was very strange, I loved the concept however in reality I heard everything happen in the mornings. Also I saw a mouse in the kitchen which was pretty hair-raising.

Nice place, however needs to be run by professional people. Very dirty. 12 dorm room was much bigger than 12 not much room. Felt like a prison. Only one toilet. Kitchen very small.

• 19th Jun 2015

Thank you very much for your review, as it will surely help us to improve our quality standards. We are really sorry to hear, that you had problems during your stay. We are currently in the process of building a new dining area and a larger kitchen, and in a few weeks time, it should be available to all customers.Overall, we will be taking on board the drawbacks of the hostel, mentioned in the review to ensure that you have an even better stay next time you are around, at Hatters Birmingham.

Basically it wasn't what I expected at all, I don't know what if I stayed in smaller dormitory or private room, but I stayed in 12 bed dormitory room which wasn't actually a room, but an extremely small 4 bed-separated space between the thin walls with other 5 or 6 so called rooms on the basement. I was so disappointed. It was bit far from the centre, but close to the hideous canals and jewellery quarter. Breakfast was okay. Staffs were fine

Unfriendly staff. I will never ever stay with this hostel again !

Thank you very much for your review, as it will surely help us to improve our quality standards. We are really sorry to hear, that you had problems during your stay. Your case has been brought up in our recent staff meeting, and it is in our plans to provide more training to staff in order to avoid negative feedback. Overall, we will be taking on board the drawbacks of the hostel, mentioned in the review to ensure that you have an even better stay next time you are around, at Hatters Birmingham.

Major renovations

• 8th Jun 2015

Thank you very much for your review, as it will surely help us to improve our quality standards. We are really sorry to hear, that you had problems during your stay. As you noticed, our hostel is in the middle of the renovation process, and we should be finished soon, providing new facilities to our customers. Overall, we will be taking on board the drawbacks of the hostel, mentioned in the review to ensure that you have an even better stay next time you are around, at Hatters Birmingham.

It was good but got over charged 39 pounds whenI booked and payed deposit I only had 30.80 to pay.

Thank you very much for your review, as it will surely help us to improve our quality standards. We are really sorry to hear, that you had problems during your stay. We have checked your booking history, and you seem to have had two bookings made: one with Hostelworld for the 7th of June and another with Booking.com. for the 8th of June. Both were charged £30.80 and £39.00, respectively. However, if you feel that there was a mistake made on our behalf, please get in contact with us. Take care.

The staff members were very nice and always ready to help and give some directions.

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Poland

Really well thought out common areas, in particular the kitchen and lounge. Found it a bit difficult to navigate the confusing stairwells and corridors though.

« first « Prev 1 2 3