Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

Our stay was really good and we really enjoyed it. However there was no lock on the bathroom door and the door kept swinging open - the door to the room was directly opposite the bathroom door. Also someone let themselves into our room - with a key, without knocking, a caught my friend coming out of the shower. They didn't explain what they were doing and just left swiftly

One of the best hostels which I have seen... and I travel a lot. Bargain is DeLuxe dorm with a lot of space, security lockers, private light, sockets for every bed....

I stayed for two days in weekdays in 24 beds dorm, whereas what I booked was 12 beds dorm. It's not a big problem for me, because privacy is really good. Excellent breakfast at this price. (especially with fresh fruit, can fruit, different kinds of good cereal served ) Poor cleanliness, seems there's no one clean the bed, same sheet and pillow case kept it for next guest, and dirty shower room which I couldn't close door properly with drain stocked, but they offer shower gel which is good.

This Hostel seemed to be understaffed. Great shower!

A great hostel at a great price. Would highlight that the big room is also split into smaller barracks, which gives more privacy and takes away the fact that there are so many in a room. The guy on the front desk was very friendly. Snacks readily available and all items you may forget The wifi was super quick. Location was ok - better for daylight. On the whole it was a great little hostel and I would stay here again. My only complaint was lack of room for storage in the room for suitcases etc.

Amazing friendly staff. Can not fault them and look forward to going back. Nutella is always a winner in the morning, hint hint 😀

The member of staff served me st 2am on Tues morning, he was friendly and chatty and asked whether I would be ok in an upstairs room. He opted to help me with my case up the stairs and even gave me a different room once he surveyed the room he had offered and he decided it was not suitable. He placed in a ground floor toom and made sure zi was satisfied. The room, bedding and bathroom were all up to a good standard of cleanliness in contrast to other reviewers comments in earlier posts.

• 5th Jan 2016

A well run hostel but there was no lock lock on the bathroom door in the four bed dorm I stayed in.

• 31st Dec 2015

My stay at Hatters Backpack Hostel was a stay of necessity rather than choice. I've been to-ing and fro-Ing between the hostel and Birmingham hospital which is just a twenty minute journey. I won't go into details about the reasons for the hospital visits but as far as I'm concerned Hatters Backpack Hostel has been an absolute god send to me. I've travelled from one end of the country (England) to the other staying in hostels and to be fair Hatters equals pretty much anything I've encountered.

• 27th Dec 2015

A very nice hostel overall .. But the luggage room really needs a re-think! It really isn't very secure at all. Also staff should be asking proof of ID when people enter through the front door. Anyone could just walk in. The lighting situation in the big dorm room is quite unfathomable .. Three o' clock in the morning and I can't find a way to turn them off .. Very strange. The beds are comfy and HAVE A GREAT CURTAIN ON EACH BED - fantastic! Very nice decor on all three floors. Sort security!!!

They need to turn a heater on, apart from that it was all good.

Clean, nicely converted building. Possibly the hardest bed I've ever slept on, but other than that, no complaints!

• 29th Nov 2015

Nearly all beds have curtains on them so you get loads of privacy and they also have outlets by every bed. Really modern and nice! Only problem is that theres loads of drunken people so dont get a shared room if your planning on getting any sleep.

• 27th Nov 2015
  • Finland

The showers were not all the clean that you expected to be. In fact, It was one bulb broken, and the door of the showers couldn't close properly. Also the hair dryer didn't have enough power to dry anything. And when I was having a shower, the light turn off, because it didn't have a sensor of movement inside the shower in it self. I had to go outside the shower, outside the bathroom, to the room with the hair dryers... The staff were very friendly but the hostel should improve the cleanliness.

Thank you :) We had a spectacular sleep apart from one drunkard shouting in the corridor, who was dealt with by staff appropriately. The facilities and bathrooms were really nice and well-equipped :D

Had a good stay in this hostel. I don't think it is good value for money, because I had to pay a lot more then 12 pounds for the weekend and there weren't that much facilities. Also, the common room down stairs was very cold. The rooms could have been cleaner, they didn't change the bed sheets between guests when I was there(!) The staff was very friendly, they organized a lot of stuff.

Great hostel. Loved the way even in the big dorms they split you up into little groups of 4 and even still then had your own curtain, light and power point. Staff were great!

It would have been good to have some lockers in the room for belongings. Also, the lock on my dorm's bathroom door didn't seem to work (or maybe I just couldn't work-out how to use it). Otherwise, I was a very satisfied customer - helpful reception, good price, smart place and decent breakfast.

The hostel as a whole was great, but the beds were so uncomfortable. A thicker mattress would have made so much difference to our stay.

As the last time, very good stay with a welcoming staff

• 7th Nov 2015