Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

Great location and great staff, I like the way the large dorm was separated, however two showers and one toilet (for males) just doesn't cut it, and the showers were in desperate need of a proper clean!

We booked for a 12 dorm, but were in a 6, although the two toilets were shared between about 20 people ( this didn't pose much of a problem for us as we were up early and back late). The continental breakfast consists of cereal and toast. You have to bring your own locks to use for the lockers in the dorm. The dorms, kitchen, and eating area were all nice and clean. Overall it was an enjoyable stay and the location is fantastic just a couple of minutes from the metro station.

• 4th Sep 2014

the guy in reception It's amazing, friendly and polite, Sorry, I forgot your name, but thanks for everything.

• 30th Aug 2014

I didn't spend much time here, some of the staff were nice, but another just gave me a blank stare when I went to get the wifi password. Also, didn't notice any lockers but I literally put my bags down, went out, slept and left early in the morning. Didn't seem too bad although was an unpleasant experience walking through the underpass (homeless man and ambulance) but think that's was an anomaly and not the norm.

The staff on reception were unfriendly rude and seemed like they were doingus a favour by letting us stay there

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Very good. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone else basing themselves in the West Midlands given it's location.

nice free pub crawl on friday, funny staff. nice avarege hostel

The best hostel !

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Romania

See you next time!

this hostel is quite good, though not quite as good as the Hatters Hilton in Manchester. Wifi even works in some rooms which is good. Kitchen is too small I think. Breakfast delicious. The only think is it's a bit of walk from the station so if you have heavy luggage(s), you'd better to hire a taxi for a fiver. Nearest decent supermarket is about 7min. walk.

Luggage room left unlocked and doesn't seem to be monitored. Wifi doesn't work in rooms, only in kitchen and didn't work at all my last day. Relatively short walk to city center. I stayed at the end of a hall and the room smelled kind of like mildew. I think they'd do better to take out the carpet in the rooms, it was pretty gross. It was cheaper than everywhere else in Birmingham yet I felt it was overpriced for what it was. Also, I now have bed bug bites.... Gross.

We liked the friendly attitude of the reception staff. It's in a very interesting area, the Jewellery Quarter with lots of beautiful old industrial buildings, sadly many were derelict. The hostel building itself used to be a factory and has all sorts of quirky features, including sweeping views over the railway to the east and towards the spectacular Birmingham library to the west. Facilities in our double ensuite room were excellent. It was a very relaxing place to stay.

Cheques in the post!

The hostel is really nice and cozy, even if you stay in the big dorms you feel like you are in smallers rooms, because it is divided in 4 bunks sections. All in all it is pretty clean, central, quiet and relaxing. The kitchen might get a bit dirty, especially in the evening, when lots of people are cooking and some dont understand it's a self-catering facility, maybe signs in different languages might help. Also, wifi connection wasnt working for 1 full day.

Thanks for leaving the review, we try to keep the kitchen clean at all times however if you are unlucky enough to use it directly after someone that is less thoughtful it can be frustrating. We lie your idea to put up signs in different languages and will make sure to do this. See you next time!

Staff were fantastic and the breakfast brilliant. I really enjoyed the hot porridge.

I had a great time in Brimingham, even though I was there for room viewings in Coventry and only spent the nights there. I had a blast with the other hostel residents and the staff was really friendly and helpful. The hangout areas are very inviting and chilled out. I especially enjoyed the music session on Wednesday in the TV-room! The only minus would be the cellar room I stayed in: the air was quite humid and it lacked fresh air...

• 11th Aug 2014

Glad you enjoyed your time here, next time make sure to book for the weekend too so that you can take part in the pub crawl too!

Nice hostel in a beautifull building. With great facilities, clean on suite bathroom and a nice common room for breakfast, cooking or playing games/hanging. Too bad it is a bit far away from the city centre.

Nice hostel, pretty clean and not so noisy.

Hasta la proxima!!

Booked a twin room - well presented & spacious. Grand stay, many thanks!

You are more than welcome! See you next time!

The hostel was really good. Nice living room and kitchen area. The only problem is that there is nothing to do in Birmingham but you can't blame the hostel for that.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Scotland
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Brand new hostel, very expensive for what you get; you have to setup your own sheets, 12pers dorms, basic breakfest...New staff not from the area, hard to get directions and info. It was clean but they are still undergoing construction, so a bit unfinished.

The Hatters in birmingham provided us with a comfortable and very relaxed environment. Our room was clean and had an ensuite bathroom which was well taken care of, it was very handy being able to shower etc in our own room. We were in a 12 bed dorm which was completely empty, and the hostel in general was quiet. This meant the overall atmosphere was a lot calmer than we were expecting, but this was probably because we stayed mid week. Overall a nice hostel.

We're glad that you liked our hostel, next time that you come make sure to join in with our newly revamped social activities or if you're really looking for a great night out, stay on a weekend when you can join in our amazing pub crawl!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5