Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

So its a pretty quiet place so its really good if you want to get some sleep. Theres a green emergancy light in every bedroom so that might be a bother, it Didnt really matter to me. I thought it would be worse from the comments but i had a good night. Breakfast is quite good and TV room is pretty comfortable. Overall it was a pleasant stay with no Bad sides.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Mexico

Very central hostel, all amanties u need are provided, even the Xbox if u fancy in playing it :) warm staff and useful in giving information!! I will return for sure!

Hands down one of the best hostels I've stayed in. Very clean, private yet communal (dorm room was divided into 4-bed 'pods'). Very good free breakfast as well. Only downside - bathrooms operate on energy saving lights that turn off after a few minutes of being in the shower. Wouldn't be a problem if you showered during the day or if the hot water took less time to come through.

This hostel was ok. Not in a great area, but it's only a short walk to several attractions and the main station. Lon breakfast hours were nice. Wifi only worked in common areas. No lockers bi enough for luggage in the rooms. Luggage room left open and unattended the whole time I was there. If I returned to Birmingham, it wouldn't be my first choice to stay here again

it was nice and affordable, but the heater!

can't access internet in the room really far from the city but clean and quiet to relax.

I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm with 2 more friends. The rooms are very good, warm and big and bathroom was clean. The only problem was there were no wardrobes to keep clothes or luggage. The staff was good and morning breakfast was served early 6am to 10am. That was good, as we need to move early morning to London.

Amazing work, keep it up.

• 27th Dec 2014

I enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it. I especially liked breakfast being available from 6am and there were lots of signs up about keeping noise down around the dorms and respecting other guests. Despite what it said on the website - although breakfast overall was nice - there was no fruit. Wifi wasn't working for me - and I spoke to other guests who had the same problem - but I pointed this out to staff who were responsive and helpful. Great location both for transport and sights.

Situated in the unsafe area of Birmingham (well, more than half of the city is unsafe anyway). It's quite a long walk from train station to the hostel and if you carry heavy luggage, it will become harder to get to the hostel on foot. Inside the hostel is a maze!! The atmosphere is dark and spooky. There is a door to nowhere in my room (private double room). So, I can tell you that this is the hostel from horror movie. Not recommend to anyone except for horror movie fans!!

Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Room was slightly small for 4 beds, but we had a good stay for the one night. Thanks

What's the point of having 2 showers and 1 toilet without a cabin in a bathroom for 15 people? Are they gonna take a shower while someone is peeing openly without any cabin? Bathroom floors are always wet, so it gets muddy and disgusting. Flushes don't work, toilets stinks and pee-all-over. There is no fresh air to breath in the mixed-rooms, because there is almost no windows! There are no lockers either! I don't think I have to trust other 14 people for my bag, right?!

Booked a 6 dorm room for a band. In the morning we discovered someone stole our spare tyre from the van we parked outside the hostel. The next day I booked a twin room. In the option check in time I chose 4am. I also phoned the hostel to confirm the reservation. However, the people who were gonna sleep there were said they couldn't have stayed because it was too late and the system couldn't accept the payment. So they were left without a place to stay at 4am and the deposit was lost.

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Poland

Wifi was only available in the lounge, and was so slow I could not even load Google. The shower in the bedroom was also pretty average. Not very hot and terrible water flow.

• 11th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

I felt a bit concerned when I saw the location of the hostel as it feels a bit away from everything, but it is actually fine once you're inside. The only thing that let it down was that there were no lockers in the rooms and the bathroom didn't feel too clean. On a good note, the breakfast was decent for a hostel (muesli, yogurt, toast, orange juice, fruit) and there was a nice communal area around the kitchen. My room was also nice and warm!

• 4th Dec 2014

Good place to stay, well equipped, pretty good breakfast and staff are cool. Just a shame our bedroom walls were made from paper! Will be staying here again, just with earplugs next time ; )

• 28th Nov 2014

Thanks for the great review. If you are having problems sleeping next time that you stay, just pop over to reception and the receptionist will be happy to provide you with earplugs free of charge! See you next time!

Stayed 2 nights. In need of a proper common room for people to converse. Clean, friendly staff and reasonably located.

Cheap, clean and cozy. Good service. Good location with a few bars in the area. 10-15 min walking from the centre. A really good choice. :)

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay so much. Next time be sure to stay at the weekend to enjoy our legendary Friday night pub crawls.

Somebody left their baggage on my assigned bed. I had to tell reception and they remade my bed. I like the idea of the hostel set up. I was in the 16 bed dorm the rooms were separated into blocks of four with washrooms at the end of the room. Breakfast is your standard continental with coco pops! I had a small issue with the shower. The lights are sensor and while showering the lights turned off. Mid shower I had to get out and find the sensor. Place was clean, staff were alright.

With only the intention having a place to sleep for the weekend; I ended up staying for nearly a week due to my enjoyment. All the staff were welcoming and charismatic, which very quickly made me feel at ease with them and everyone else in the vicinity. From giving instructions on how to play pool to free candy--Sharing seemed to be quite a theme here. Luke, who led the "Friday Night Pub Crawl", was particularly accommodating in looking after us (even as inebriated as we became) and thereafter.

• 21st Nov 2014

It was great having your smiley face around the place for the week. We look forward to your return!