Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

It's a nice place with excellent staff, and breakfast is included. It's only a 5-10 minutes walk from the centre. Would recommend it :-)

The hostel is nice, well decorated and the sleeping area is confortable. The only problem arw the showers, the water goes down the drain very slowly, and if you take a shower or more then 3 minutes, you make a complete mess. Also, I wasn't lucky with neighbours, a group of guys was staying in the same area and they would start yelling and running around naked at night and day, maybe it would be nice if the staff had look for the quietness on the sleeping areas.

We had a random grumpy old guy in our room mumbling to himself. Whilst I'm aware of the hostel vibe, it was a little scary.

• 4th Nov 2015
  • Wales

Renovated since I last stayed there. Receptopn much smarter, rooms a bit better but reading lights and storage space would be nice. Area isn't the nicest, but I never felt insecure inside the hostel or outside.

The hostel needs to improve on their breakfast and instore some reall gaming equipment and not the childish toy one that is there

I was only around for a night but the hostel was clean, staff were friendly and very helpful. A little bit out of the way but still walk-able from the city centre. I'd stay again.

Unfortunately there were some guests on our corridor who did not believe in taking their very loud party to the communal areas to give other guests some peace and quiet. I think the reception people could perhaps have managed this more firmly. Otherwise we had a great time and the staff were more than helpful with every query we had from booking taxis to instructions on where to eat, shop etc...

• 30th Oct 2015

The hostel is not bad, but the room are too busy, we booked a room for 12, but we were in a big salon with 24 people, that is too much. Additionally, the woody floor is too noisy. The kitchen of the place is huge, but the fridge is too small. We like the open areas, the dinning area and lobby are quite nice, but the rooms are too noisy.

The bed and environment is quite good, location was a bit far from central but acceptable. However, the lights in the toilet and washroom for the dormitory was not working for at least two days, causing so much trouble. The toilets in the underground were messy and dirty. :( Staff was not always at the counter. I waited for 20 mins for check-out and still can't see anyone. I then had no choice but leave the key at the counter, still missed my coach:( oh they lost my parcel as well! :((((

Staff were good, but the things that let my stay down were - i booked a 12 bed dorm but was put in room 218 which had more then 12 beds - the bathroom light wasnt working, told reception and they said there was a sign on the door to say use another, but no sign for the whole stay i was there and others did the same too, could have you just put a lamp in there or made sure there was a sign? Needed loo paper - the tv room/lounge wasnt open as under renovation so barely anywhere to socialise

Bathroom lights were not working, either male and female ones.

• 22nd Oct 2015

very good place to stay. modern and nice staff.

Great place - really cool and different. They need to set up a recycling system in the kitchen

• 13th Oct 2015

Really nice hostel to stay in, and its obviously doing things to improve its facilities more, was told it was only a short walk to the bus station but make sure you allow extra time especially when you have suitcases/backpacks etc. the staff were lovely helped us carry our bags down stairs, and even able to provide a hairdryer for us!

I arrived on Thursday night and was given a key for room 117 which the light in the toilet keep flicking, so I went back to reception and told the person to fix, but he said it was too late and cannot be fixed until tomorrow. He then allocated me to room 116 and asked to return the key to him on Friday morning, once the light is fixed on Friday I can go back to my own room. So by the evening I returned back to the hole and asked for key for 117, the light is still flicking. So nothing has done.

• 8th Oct 2015

Fire alarm went off in the midle of the night but hey ho- can't be helped. Great private room, also had my own TV :) really clean.

• 6th Oct 2015

Staff very helpful! Breakfast was very very basic stuff however the kitchen facilities were handy although could use an extra microwave! Pretty cool little place!

Friendly helpful staff and a solid kitchen/lounge area. Strong secure wifi. There are some complaints though! For example the bathrooms are absolutely filthy, if the mold covering the entire wall and window don't gross you out enough or even make you sick like they did my one traveling partner, the constant layer of gross water on the floor will. Another complaint is that they will accept absolutely anyone inside. Besides these things though the hostel is fine.

Perfect 10/10 :-)

• 2nd Oct 2015

Storage lockers under the beds would be great. This is pretty standard at all the other hostels ive stayed at.

• 2nd Oct 2015