Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

Need security lockers location far from center and through dark and isolated industrial section

very interesting hostel..i've never been to one like this -in a very positive way ;)

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. We think we're quite interesting too! See you next time!

Internet did not work; Night-receptionist was very unfriendly and even though we had checked in earlier but it was before check in time, night-receptionist told us we were split up in two different 4-bed-rooms! For no money reimbursed we were downgraded to a 6-bed-room, just because their organisation was so bad. Security was good! Beds were very clean!! huge Plus! Breakfast was not enough for everybody, at 09:00 there was no milk or musli left. Could not sleep as a green light was constantly on

Kind of grunge but has a cool vibe

I stayed in the hostel for one night. I didn't like the carpet in the bedroom, which makes it not that clean inn my opinion, and the atmosphere in the hostel. The hostel is about in he middle of the (ugly) city centre and the Jewellery Quarter. It takes quite a while to go there from the train station. The breakfast is ok.

The hostel is out of the city centre, in an unsafe area. For a woman travelling on her own I would not go out after dark which was restricting. It was a long walk from the bus station with bags, almost an hour as it's not straight forward. The bathroom was constantly wet and smelled badly of damp mold. The atmosphere was terrible unless you were a young person drinking alcohol every night. The hostel is huge and the kitchen cannot accommodate for the amount of guests.

The staff was really nice, the bathrooms were clean and the breakfast was a nice extra. A great hostel, even for longer stays.

My opinion hasn't changed about Hatters, they are very good ... But I was just let down by Internet this time, it was frustratingly slow and disconnecting all the time, in fact it was next to non-existence I wouldn't mind if Hatters said they don't have WIFI instead of saying they have it when it is like that. That's all, other wise the Hostel in general is brilliant as always. And also, we used to have wifi connection in rooms, but that has all gone now :(

This is my second time staying here and I just love it! Will deffo b in again at some time soon. Thank you

I really liked the cool and funky style with lots of places to hang out, however, the kitchen was always really messy in the evenings which made it difficult to make food.

• 6th Sep 2014

Great location and great staff, I like the way the large dorm was separated, however two showers and one toilet (for males) just doesn't cut it, and the showers were in desperate need of a proper clean!

Dear guest, We love that you enjoyed your stay, We're very sorry to hear about the showers as we always try to keep our housekeeping standards to the highest degree. We have taken this on board and will do our very best to ensure this doesn't happen again. Kind Regards, Hatters Crew!

We booked for a 12 dorm, but were in a 6, although the two toilets were shared between about 20 people ( this didn't pose much of a problem for us as we were up early and back late). The continental breakfast consists of cereal and toast. You have to bring your own locks to use for the lockers in the dorm. The dorms, kitchen, and eating area were all nice and clean. Overall it was an enjoyable stay and the location is fantastic just a couple of minutes from the metro station.

• 4th Sep 2014

the guy in reception It's amazing, friendly and polite, Sorry, I forgot your name, but thanks for everything.

• 30th Aug 2014

At your service!

I didn't spend much time here, some of the staff were nice, but another just gave me a blank stare when I went to get the wifi password. Also, didn't notice any lockers but I literally put my bags down, went out, slept and left early in the morning. Didn't seem too bad although was an unpleasant experience walking through the underpass (homeless man and ambulance) but think that's was an anomaly and not the norm.

The staff on reception were unfriendly rude and seemed like they were doingus a favour by letting us stay there

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Very good. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone else basing themselves in the West Midlands given it's location.

nice free pub crawl on friday, funny staff. nice avarege hostel

The best hostel !

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Romania

See you next time!

this hostel is quite good, though not quite as good as the Hatters Hilton in Manchester. Wifi even works in some rooms which is good. Kitchen is too small I think. Breakfast delicious. The only think is it's a bit of walk from the station so if you have heavy luggage(s), you'd better to hire a taxi for a fiver. Nearest decent supermarket is about 7min. walk.

Luggage room left unlocked and doesn't seem to be monitored. Wifi doesn't work in rooms, only in kitchen and didn't work at all my last day. Relatively short walk to city center. I stayed at the end of a hall and the room smelled kind of like mildew. I think they'd do better to take out the carpet in the rooms, it was pretty gross. It was cheaper than everywhere else in Birmingham yet I felt it was overpriced for what it was. Also, I now have bed bug bites.... Gross.