Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

The bedroom and bathroom were very clean. The kitchen are is very good.and helpful since we can cook there make tea and coffee. It's one of the bests hostels I've ever stayed!

Thank you very much for the feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable facilities!

If you’re on a budget, then this is the best place to stay, but defiantly not a budget service or facilities, don’t judge the hostel by its budget price, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean and tidy, and the staff are very helpful and friendly, being 5-10mins from the city center is a bonus.

• 7th Jan 2014

We appreciate your feedback, and it is great to hear that you have been satisfied with your stay!

I don't know why but they allowed a homeless person to stay in the lounge for at least the time I spent there. Some travelers might see this as philanthropy etc. but I thought of it as very unhealthy and maybe even dangerous. It would also feel more comfortable with a locker near, under or by the side of the beds.

I was disappointed with how the staff handled a security situation. Having reported a drunk, unstable 40-year-old guest in my room who was physically violent with me, the staff went on to talk with him calmly for 10 whole minutes before him slowly packing his bag and leaving voluntarily. I have seen less respectable places that have zero tolerance policy towards these things. In such an incident, a physically aggressive guest would be kicked out IMMEDIATELY, not reasoned calmly with.

• 3rd Jan 2014
  • Egypt

Thanks for sharing your experience and concerns with us. We are very sorry to hear about the incident, and we sincerely apologize it took some time to resolve this. There is no question about removing anti-social guests and we do have zero tolerance in such cases, however, sometimes it takes a specific approach to calm these people down and not to create greater disturbance. We hope that after the situation was successfully resolved, you did enjoy the rest of your stay here with us!

free wifi, free laundry, free tea/coffee/chocolate/milk...... very friendly staff, very good facilities (all are new!!) it's hostel price, but it seems like hotel.

• 3rd Jan 2014
  • China

Thanks for the great review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and made a good use of all our facilities and little extras. We hope you enjoy your future travels, and remember to come back and visit us again sometime :)

Although the Hostel is not located in the nicest area - I felt a bit uncomfortable going out in the dark and to get into town you had to go through a pedestrian subway (or take the long way) - I really enjoyed my stay. I've been there for a night and stayed in a six bed female dorm with a spacious and clean en suite bathroom! The hostel is well looked after and clean, the staff is very friendly, welcoming and competent. There's a self-catering kitchen, so don't just leave your plates!

• 2nd Jan 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay and sharing your experiences. We would like to assure you that our local area - Jewellery Quarter - is one of the safest in the city centre. It is quiet because it mostly is a residential area, however 5 mins. walk from us you would find all the busy restaurant/night-life parts of the city. Just ask our knowledgeable staff! We are happy though that you enjoyed all of our facilities and little extras :) Hopefully see you again sometime.

We stayed here for 2days over newyears eve/day....we just used the room to sleep after clubbing on newyears eve, and slept most of newyears day. From what I saw of the place, and staff it was good, shame I didnt do anything but sleep. But I would recommend it and I would stay again.

We had a lovely spacious 3 single bed room with tv. The facilities very clean and attractive arty!. Dining and communal lounge large, lots of nooks for individuals /small groups for wifi access charging etc. helpful staff excellent stay.

Although its part of a chain of hostels it helt like an independent one. Really big and cosy. Free stable wifi and friendly staff. The room was really warm which was cool.

-Staff very friendly and helpful -close to train station -nice atmosphere -good breakfast -very nice rooms -perfect value for money

This is more of an architectural thing: in the breakfast room, the surfaces are all hard and laminate, the TV sound floats up from downstairs and the ceiling is curved which gives the whole room the acoustics of a cavernous tunnel. It's horribly echoey and it really gave me a headache. Adding a carpet to the breakfast room and a few soft furnishings would dampen the sound considerably. Also, the pillows are thin and cheap - adding some slightly thicker ones would be more comfortable.

• 22nd Dec 2013

Very good atmosphere and the staff was perfect. I really enjoyed my time in Hatters hostel and I would definitely go back. The pub crawl was also very nice ;)

• 20th Dec 2013
  • Spain

One of the best hostals I had ever stay, very good staff and clean nice room.

Excellent hostel, loved the breakfast, friendly staff, cleanliness and location close to the Jewelry Quarter and the tram line. My only problem was that our room was in a separate portion of the property with it's own entrance, that people kept leaving propped open. Could be a problem for security.

• 19th Dec 2013

Hatters was fantastic, from the moment we got there the staff were really helpful and accommodating. The room (12 bed dorm) was great with comfy beds and nice fresh clean linen. The free tea and toast was very much enjoyed after our evening out. It was a bonus that breakfast was included in the extremely reasonable price and it was a good spread with different options. The check out time of 11 was perfect giving us enough time to get up and ready. Highly recommend to anyone awesome hostel!

Would definately stay again.

• 14th Dec 2013

Cheap and cheerful! Decor is a bit old and tired but clean, great location and amazing staff... And free toast 24/7!!!!

The hostel is in a great location right in the centre of town, very easy to get places! Only down side I got confirmation of my booking directly from a girl at reception via email, when it wasn't booked at all, and the fact you have to pay 3 pounds for luggage storage after you check out. No where else has done that!

I just stayed the one night but the staff were all very friendly and helpfull with everything.

I stayed at a Hatters hostel in Manchester and was pretty disappointed, so I had low expectations. Hatters Birmingham was wonderful, though! It's about a 15 minute walk from the train station which is my only (small) complaint, otherwise the rooms were great, en-suite bathroom was *huge*, free toast and tea, and the front desk gave me free earplugs when my non-partying self wanted to sleep. Great experience, would definitely recommend.