Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

I loved the hatters and will definitely plan to come back:) The place has got amazing social/communal areas, great kitchen, superb dining space with a breathtaking view and a great TV lounge. However there is still some room for improvement: the fact they had no a/c (which may be understandable in a hostel) was only made worse by the lack of proper windows in the dorms, no lockers and hardly any cupboards to store our belogings in the bedrooms, plus wifi not working properly.

...and we'll be happy to have you back! Whilst it has been very hot here recently, this is very unusual for Birmingham (and the UK in general) and so having air conditioning here is practically unheard of. If you have problems with the WIFI make sure to let us know and we'll be sure to get it sorted for you! See you next time..

We couldn't get the tv to tune in

Sorry about that, next time that you stay let us know and we'll be sure to get your TV humming away.

My mattress was a little bit old and there were few power outlets in the room. No wifi at the rooms either. The stuff were nice, Breakfast was just ok. No lockers at the rooms, no much space either (at least in the 4 bed's room)

They don't have A/C, and with it getting warm in the summer, it makes for an uncomfortable night sleep (if you get any). Location was just outside the Jewelry Quarter and about a 15 min walk to the Centre. The staff were nice, and accommodated me when I asked to move rooms due to the heat of the 12 bed dorm (that doesn't have opening windows) and a ridiculously loud snorer above me. The breakfast was a bit of a joke with toast and a couple different cereals being the options. Not bad over-all.

Ah the perennial problem of dorm-snorers, I hope that your second room was snore-free. We appreciate that it has been pretty hot here in Birmingham for the past few weeks but air-conditioning would be a little bit overkill for the few weeks of summer we're blessed with every year in England!

In the dorms there was this awful stench. the ventilation in the room was non-existent.

The room was not very nice and the hostel is around 20 min walking to the centre....

Thanks for the review, we take will take your comments into account and hope that you will come to stay here again and maybe change your mind.

Everything was perfect, friendly staff, good value for money, despite the fact that there was no window in the room you could open. There was also no ventilation and a door to the hallway, which also had no ventilation. The hostel would be perfect if there was air to breathe!

We're glad that you enjoyed your time here even with the heatwave!

great place, clean, friendly staff, amazing view from the balcony in the lounge, free breakfast, cheap, modern design.

Thanks for the great review, we look forward to welcoming you back next time that you are in Birmingham!

We only stayed for two nights and wished we had booked more! Staff are friendly and helpful, and our room was brilliant! Very close to the city centre and train stations which was useful, we will be visiting again soon hopefully!

• 9th Jul 2014

Thanks for the review! See you next time!

The beds were very rickety/ fragile and didn't feel comfortable sleeping in them. I understand you don't get amazingly brilliant beds in hostels but at least something sturdy would have been nice... Atmosphere in common rooms was nice. The room however looked a bit cheap without being charming...

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Your opinions shape the future of our hostel.

Nice hostel, friendly staff and OK location. They have some problems with wi-fi which is not working all the time and there was no wi-fi in our room.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We will take your comments into consideration.

Great place to stay. Very friendly staff..You can not find a better place than Hatters to stay for low budget...A+++++

Thanks for the great review, we look forward to welcoming you next time that you are in Birmingham!

I've stayed at this hostel before on my way home from Glastonbury and was surprised at how nice it was for the price! (I've stayed in some pretty horrid hostels) This time was even better, lovely and clean and kind staff. The only thing is that there wasn't any toilet roll in the bathroom but not to worry we still had baby wipes from the festival!

Thanks for the great review. See you next time you;re passing through Brum!

ALL STAFF VERY GOOD IN SPECIAL LETTY

Thanks for the review, I'll be sure to pass your commendation on to Leti!

The receptions staffs were very friendly and helpful.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Thanks for the great review, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Birmingham!

Basement sleeping room felt damp, and no curtains meant the room impossible to make dark: light from window and emergency lighting in the corridor

This hostel was awesome....until my shower made screeching noises. But the set up of the 12 bed dorm was awesome, sectioned off into 4 beds a room with a curtain, light and PowerPoint in each. The brekky in the morning was a nice added bonus and there's a powder room for the females. The walk into town isn't that far, we carried our rucksacks in to the bus station and it took 15-20mins with our bags. But a great stay other than the shower, the noises need to be fixed but it was still hot!

Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a good review. We'll look into the shower issue that you mentioned. See you next time.

The hostel is in an old building which was probably once a factory. This makes for odd sized rooms and an aspect of dirtiness regardless of how clean the place is. The internet is quite bad; it didn't work most of the time. To make matters worse, the hostel doesn't have any lockers, only a room which anyone can go in to leave bags. The staff was nice to let me leave my bag in a locked room when I left for the city, but I had to lock it to the bed overnight, which was really inconvenient.

• 22nd Jun 2014

Very well over all. Only one problem with the water that was not really warm as we expected. Very good for short stay.

Thanks for the good review! See you next time.

The hostel is located a fair bit outside the nice part of Birmingham. The atmosphere there was also very strange when I stayed, not many people seemed open for a chat. The room also wasn't very clean, hairs & dirt on the bed (bathroom was lovely though!). WiFi was a joke, hardly ever worked.

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We take all of your views into consideration and use them to shape how the hostel will develop.