Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

It's a great and cheap place to crash if you're out and about in Birmingham. Stayed a few times now and always found it an enjoyable experience.

• 7th Jun 2014

Thanks for the review, see you next time!

At first I was a little skeptical since my previous experience of staying in a hostel was quite poor as it appeared to be targeted at a certain client group and I did not 'fit in'. However the Hatter's was the complete opposite, there were all sorts of people staying there; I was able to mingle and chatted for hours with some of the other guests setting the world to rights. The staff were helpful, I was impressed with the facilities they has and also what they offered at breakfast was great.

• 7th Jun 2014

Thanks for the great review. See you next time!

Everything was nice and tidy with an extremely friendly staff...

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Liberia

Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a great review, we hope to see you again soon!

This hostel was terrible for meeting anyone. All the events they advertise aren't hosted movie night and pub crawl etc. there's a very old atmosphere a 70 year old woman was staying there among most Middle Aged workers. I wouldn't stay there unless a clean bed and breakfast is all you want. The staff also have no idea about tourist attractions

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We take all of your views into consideration and use them to shape how the hostel will develop.

Only stayed one night, was fine for what I needed. Staff friendly.

Thanks for the review. We hope to see you next time you're in Birmingham.

Wifi was horrible, but everything else was great!

Thanks for the review, we're glad that you had a good time here. Sorry about the patchy wifi but during your stay we were experiencing some router issues, they're all sorted now, see you next time!

Dirty room with large patches of black mold on ceiling and walls. Poor wifi (only accessible in one small corner.

Loved being in the city. Hatters must have been a luxury hotel before becoming a backpackers as our room was incredible.

I recommend this hostel in a large former industrial building. Definitely the better of the two main hostels in Birmingham. Good location just off the City Centre close to the canal system and the Jewellery Quarter. Slightly difficult to find but OK if you follow the directions given. Nice kitchen, dining area and TV/Common Room. Pubs, shops and fast food places nearby. All rooms seem to be “on suite” only downside is that not all have lockers in the room for valuables.

Thanks for the review. We're glad that you enjoyed your time here. See you next time!

The facilities were perfect. Especially the shower was very nice. I was only there for one night but it seemed that the atmosphere was a little bit dull, especially if you travel alone.

Thanks for leaving us some feedback, we hope to see you next time that you're in Birmingham.

Good hostel to meet people. Staff is engaging for most part and facilities are kept clean. Did a 5 bedroom. Only thing we did have to complain more than once by different people about a broken window in the room before staff took note of it. Ensure u have adapters/towels/coin for laundry before ur stay.

Thanks for the review! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again. Just a quick note, we do have adaptors and towels(for dorms, they're free for private rooms) to rent at reception and for the laundry you just need to come and buy some tokens fro reception.

It said online, that I booked a "deluxe 4 bed female dorm"... however, in reality it was a 24 mixed dorm which was devided into 4-bed sections to be entered through saloon doors. This meant you actually had to noise level of a 24beds room .. I would have preferred to have known that beforehand!

• 23rd May 2014

Great facility indeed. 6 people in a band on tour could not have asked for more. Clean, secure, tidy, helpful staff, near to what was needed in the City Centre. (Y). Large bathroom. Everything was fine.

• 23rd May 2014

Hey guys. Thanks for the great review, next time you're playing in town we'll be only too happy to welcome you back!

Everything was really nicke, the Rooms are spacious and the staff friendly, the included breakfast adds to the good value for money. My only critique point would be, that the wifi availability should be increased at least to the upstairs lounge if not to the whole hostel.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback, we're happy that you had such a good time here. Sorry about the patchy wifi during your stay, we were having some router issues but they're all sorted now. See you next time!

I must say ivr stayed in a few hostels around the country, This was by far the best one. A clean kitchen to use with all the conveniences, free breakfast and cameras for added security. The beds also had privacy curtains in case I wished to sleep less modest in a shared dorm. Only thing is lockers are very small amd not enough space to put luggage, but who cares! felt safe none the less. On arrival, reception staff made sure I had my preferred male dorm.

• 20th May 2014

Great to hear that you had such a good time and we look forward to welcoming you back!

no lockers for your belongings :(

Thanks for the positive review. Sorry that you missed a locker, we do have rooms with lockers and for those without you are always welcome to store your things in one of our secure luggage rooms.

The directions to find this Hostel were very complicated, and it is virtually unknown , having asked 10 people including a policeman, spent an hour walking around Brum trying to locate it, with the Hostels own directions in my hand! - place was nice, staff not too helpful or communicative.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We will take your comments on board.

I just stayed one night in the hostel but would have stayed more. Good location and really friendly staff, and breakfast! In the free walking tour they gave us a free beer and had a crazy night out with the people there. Would definetely recommend it.

One of the cheapest beds you will find in England on the weekend. Birmingham actually has a good party scene if you look around. This hostel was great, staff were incredible (they cooked us a BBQ), facilities where modern and clean. Met other travellers at the hostel and went to a drum and bass gig with them. Everything you could want in a Hostel

Thanks for the taking the time to leave a review. We're glad that you enjoyed your time here and hope that you will return to stay with us again.

Excellent and professional staff! The hostel is pretty big, yet they run it smoothly! (Great attention to detail, which makes this place stand out). Spacious kitchen and lounge at the loft give out a great view of Birmingham. The only downer seems to be the fact that toilets/showers are only located in the dorms, which mean that there is always a queue in the morning, as there is only one bathroom per room. However, for a British hostel, this stands out in a very positive way!