Hatters Backpack Hostel -Birmingham Reviews

92/95 Livery Street, Birmingham, England

Shared a room with some trashy Italian girls who were bringing guys round and sleeping with them in front of everyone, being noisy when coming back at night and turning all the lights on, making rude comments, etc. Spoke to staff who couldn't move me that night but wouldn't even speak to them either despite them disrupting everyone else in the room. Didn't get one good night's sleep, appalling. Facilities were clean, apart from womens' bathroom next to the kitchen. Location is out of the way.

Everything is perfect except i had to wait 1 hour in order to waiting my room for making ready by staff , eventhough i told the hostel that my arrival time to the hostel.

The facilities, breakfast, bed, rooms are as expected in a hostel. Pricing was pretty high for the location. The different staff couldn't care less. One guy was on the phone all the time while checking me in, one guy didn't know anything to recommend in Birmingham, and the others also were not bothered at all. Not really a hospitality business for them.

We booked this hostel for the Rugby World Cup Games due to its location. While the lobby looks clean, our rooms in the basement had no working lights and felt more like a dungeon. And though the sheets were clean, the mattresses were covered in mold. We decided to leave for health reasons and Kornel was the least helpful receptionist I've ever encountered. He was rude and basically non responsive. While we ended up getting the refund over a week later, it was like pulling teeth. Don't stay here.

The staff was really friendly, but the hostel lacks a good lounge to relax in. Some of the staff members told me that there have been a lot of changes to the hostel that they don't like, so I'm not sure how the hostel will be in the future. I also found toilet paper hard to come by.

Hostel located 5 min walk from the center. Noisy during the weekend with a bit too many people comparing to the size of the room available. Not bad for a short break.

It was a nice hostel. Was pretty stuffy in the large bunk bed area downstairs. Would be good if there was some ventilation. Breakfast was good and so was the wifi. Staff pretty helpful and in a decent location only a few minutes walk to the centre of town.I would stay there again.

Great atmosphere and will stay again..

• 9th Sep 2015

I booked a 12 bed dorm however it was technically a 24 bed dorm with 6 separate tiny rooms which were not fully partioned from each other. Between 24 people there were a mens and womens bathrooms, the womens having 2 showers and 2 toilets - 1 of each did not lock properly. Each bed has a curtain which is good for keeping out the light (not that there is much - the dorm is poorly lit - but if your in the bed closest to the door its quite noisy with people coming in and out.

I enjoyed at the hostel a lot during my whole stay and staff was very humble and supportive. However, I encountered certain issues; for examples, the bed sheet was not changed even once during whole stay in the rooms and no separate space was provided ton keep my luggage in safety and the room was mixed type i.e. both male and female were allowed to stay in the same room while during booking there was no column in this regard.

• 4th Sep 2015
  • India

Great hostel! Had a snorer of epic proportions in my dorm room, making my night's sleep not so great, but that's what happens in hostel dorms I guess. Definitely recommend it, one of the best hostels I've stayed in - and the breakfast was particularly good.

• 2nd Sep 2015

I just love my stay in Hatters.

• 30th Aug 2015
  • Bangladesh

The free breakfast is gorgeous and the common room is just like your living room!

The only note I would take it air ventilation!! I staid at the ground floor room 107 to be exact and the whole passage and the room have a very bad ventilation!! Beside that the staff are super friendly. Thank you.

It's fairly easy to find and the reception/common room area is nice. The breakfast was good as well. Nevertheless, the room I was staying in was dirty and smelly.

• 20th Aug 2015
  • Switzerland

Lovely clean hostel with friendly staff right in the heart of the Jewellery Quarter. Highly recommend it. Easy walk from there into town.

Ok they were in the middle of renovations but responded to requests promptly.. Right away. Helpful front desk. One of the women tho was less professional. She was more tactiturn, less at ease, (did she really need customers?) and I saw and heard her complaining loudly about another staff member to him at reception. And kept repeating it when he suggested they talk at another time. Save it for a staff meeting please. Loved the new kitchen and dining. Had lovely times there.

I was in the basement with a lot of older men and it did smell a bit (the cheapest room) But there are curtains over every bed and they all kept to themselves, so if that does not make you uncomfortable, then i suggest it. Also visit the "custard factory" and walk along the canals.

1 2 3 Next » last »