Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

A good hostel during the week for real travelers. I was told to avoid on the weekend as it becomes a party hostel. Staff helpful, the 4 bed room was very small compared to most I have stayed. I was disappointed that 4 out of the 6 promoted daily activities involved consuming large amounts of alcohol. Doesn't Manchester have more to offer than getting drunk?

Very centrally located...very convenient...friendly staff and generally the facilities were very good. Would recommend gladly to friends.

Too many people crammed in one room, not much space to move around in the mornings. One bed has light shining on it all night from the street outside. Can be loud since it is in an area that is very lively, but the walls are thin so beware of staying here on the weekends. The internet did not stretch into my room but was fine within the common areas. Staff is very friendly and polite, and the hostel felt safe and secure otherwise.

Hey! Thanks for the review matey. Unfortunately the odd old-school design of the hostel has led to a lot of peculiar angels and oddly shaped rooms. It makes it a little hard to furnish the rooms properly, but it does depend on luck of the draw. Hopefully a little trial and error Feng-sui can sort it out when we do our next remodel. Otherwise, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here!

Security - i met 2 guys who had their lockers broken into and had their passports stolen. Atmosphere - The 3rd floor was the worst experience in my hostel life. There was a drunk in the room and the room opposite us was making noise late into the night. had to change room to have a much better pleasant experience.

Location of this hostel was perfect, so close to the middle of the city. Staff were great, only criticism would be the wifi - would be great to have free wifi in the rooms, but other than that, really pleased and happy with it. Would definitely recommend.

Cheers matey! Glad you had a good time here and enjoyed the city. We do have free wifi in the common areas around the hostel, and you can pay for it if you want some privacy (I think there are also a few lucky rooms that are in reach of the free wifi too), but that might be a bit of an in-house myth.

Had a great stay here. With £50 for two nights in a 12-bed dorm I thought it was a bit expensive, but then again the facilities were good and are very clean. The hostel is right in the city center, close to the bus/train station so that's very convenient. Staff is very helpful, too!

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks for the review matey! The prices tend to vary throughout the week, it depends greatly on what's happening in the city to be honest. Otherwise, glad you enjoyed it :)

Convenient location. The room where I lived, is a spacious and clean.But the hostel needs the common room. Kitchen is too small.

The location is good, kitchen is small but it's nice you can make your own breakfast and they don't close the kitchen. I was disappointed with the staff. They were not very helpful and seemed annoyed when you had questions. Everything else was fine. The other hatters in town is not as nice I recommend this one over the other location for sure.

Great city centre location, pleasant and efficient staff. Good service provided on all levels. Accommodation prices increase at weekends (to over the top levels). A practice which I think is a bit exploitative. One small gripe: Maybe staff could be instructed to open the kitchen windows at breakfast time. The place quickly becomes like a sauna if you don't.

Grand hostel. Nothing fancy, but nothing wrong with it either. Comfortable beds. My dorm was quiet so I slept well. Surprisingly decent breakfast, including muesli and yoghurt plus an orange.

When visitors take the time and trouble to report equipment broken or non-functioning you would do well to pay attention and take the comment seriously, as opposed to making the person feel they are wasting your time.

Hostel was very close to Picadilly station which proved to be very convenient. Limited plugs in rooms and ghetto (vintage?) style Shower/Washroom facilities, and WiFi that literally didn't exist. I could see everyone else connected (In the lobby and eating area only) but my phone couldn't pick it up which was a major drawback for me. So much so that i booked my next night at the Hatters @ Newton St (Which was amazing). Also unfortunate that the 10% savings didn't apply. Overall, would give 7/10.

Close to the train station and easy to find. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. I definitely recommend them.

Clean, well-equipped. Very friendly staff, happy to help in any way! Middle of the coolest area, lots of bars and clubs. So out of the hostel's control, lots of noise at night time. But I brought ear plugs and slept well! Only residents could get into the hostel and their own rooms, you could put laptops etc behind the desk. But the bag storage was flawed - they gave us the key to access it unsupervised (there was a camera) so we could have nicked stuff. I would definitely stay here again.

• 20th Sep 2014

Rare to find a city hostel with such an intimate vibe. Great stay.

I had a great time at this hostel, met some unforgettable people there. The terrace at the back was the perfect place to meet people, the kitchen is very nice as well. Thanks for everythin.

The hostel is in a old building. But with a good internal adaptation. Although the rooms are large, they don't offer individual locker for your backpack/luggage. It is frustrating, because the hostel offers only 8 small lockers by aisle for every guests who are located at same aisle. But, in general, was a clean hostel in a good location.

I quite like that odd charm of 'inner youth' in a lot of Manchester's buildings, it's a bit of a nice surprise! There are pros and cons to having lockers in the corridors. They're watched by the cameras, but yes - it can be quite frustrating. I think we're due a revamp soon, so I'll put the idea in the bosses head (subliminally) ; ) Thanks for the review!

I know this hostel is way cheap, so I can't complain too much - it was clean, the location was great and I felt safe. However, I've stayed in other cheap hostels which had dorms rooms that were much less crowded. I didn't have floor space to put down my shoes. Normally there is a locker under the bed for each person, which can be locked - no such thing at hatters. The shower was always full. So I guess you get what you pay for, but I did get more in the past for the same money.

Some of the rooms can be a bit tight, its all based around the floor plan of the building. It does come down to when we get chance to redevelop and add to the hostel - but like all beautiful things it's a work in progress. We do have en-suite rooms too, usually if you book a smaller en-suite room (say 4/6 bed dorm) you'll have plenty of chance to get a shower in, but again that does cost a little more than the standard rooms. Thanks for the earnest review : )

There are some things I didnt like about the hostel.Everytime I needed to get something from the reception I had to wait for 10 mins or so.Even though therem was someone at reception, at peak times there really was the need for a second person,which the reception desk was built for anyway. The rooms are okay,but the shower doesnt have anything to put your clothes at,so when you stepped out of the shower cub, you stood naked in front of the toilet sinks since the shower and toilets were together

It's a bit odd in this hostel, it can either be very quiet or very busy - we usually try to forward plan for any upcoming events to ensure that there are enough staff on, but sometimes we can get taken by surprise. The showers are a bit awkward, they're a bit more like showers in a gym / swimming pool, but you can get an en-suite room, which has a separate bathroom all together if you want more privacy. It only costs a little more (.50p to a £1.0 on average) but it can be more comfortable.

Well equipped hostel in a great location. Kitchen and bathroom facilities were excellent and staff were very helpful. Lockers were a bit questionable (outside the rooms and only fitted certain locks), but other than that we had no complaints.

Cheers for the sterling review my dear! The lockers can be a bit of a pain, the pro is that they're under the vigilant watch of the cameras. I think, because of the odd design of some of the rooms, it can sometimes be quite awkward to put lockers in the rooms, but we're working on a remedy for that.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7