Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

Great city centre location, pleasant and efficient staff. Good service provided on all levels. Accommodation prices increase at weekends (to over the top levels). A practice which I think is a bit exploitative. One small gripe: Maybe staff could be instructed to open the kitchen windows at breakfast time. The place quickly becomes like a sauna if you don't.

Grand hostel. Nothing fancy, but nothing wrong with it either. Comfortable beds. My dorm was quiet so I slept well. Surprisingly decent breakfast, including muesli and yoghurt plus an orange.

Close to the train station and easy to find. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. I definitely recommend them.

• 21st Sep 2014

Rare to find a city hostel with such an intimate vibe. Great stay.

The hostel is in a old building. But with a good internal adaptation. Although the rooms are large, they don't offer individual locker for your backpack/luggage. It is frustrating, because the hostel offers only 8 small lockers by aisle for every guests who are located at same aisle. But, in general, was a clean hostel in a good location.

I quite like that odd charm of 'inner youth' in a lot of Manchester's buildings, it's a bit of a nice surprise! There are pros and cons to having lockers in the corridors. They're watched by the cameras, but yes - it can be quite frustrating. I think we're due a revamp soon, so I'll put the idea in the bosses head (subliminally) ; ) Thanks for the review!

I know this hostel is way cheap, so I can't complain too much - it was clean, the location was great and I felt safe. However, I've stayed in other cheap hostels which had dorms rooms that were much less crowded. I didn't have floor space to put down my shoes. Normally there is a locker under the bed for each person, which can be locked - no such thing at hatters. The shower was always full. So I guess you get what you pay for, but I did get more in the past for the same money.

Some of the rooms can be a bit tight, its all based around the floor plan of the building. It does come down to when we get chance to redevelop and add to the hostel - but like all beautiful things it's a work in progress. We do have en-suite rooms too, usually if you book a smaller en-suite room (say 4/6 bed dorm) you'll have plenty of chance to get a shower in, but again that does cost a little more than the standard rooms. Thanks for the earnest review : )

There are some things I didnt like about the hostel.Everytime I needed to get something from the reception I had to wait for 10 mins or so.Even though therem was someone at reception, at peak times there really was the need for a second person,which the reception desk was built for anyway. The rooms are okay,but the shower doesnt have anything to put your clothes at,so when you stepped out of the shower cub, you stood naked in front of the toilet sinks since the shower and toilets were together

It's a bit odd in this hostel, it can either be very quiet or very busy - we usually try to forward plan for any upcoming events to ensure that there are enough staff on, but sometimes we can get taken by surprise. The showers are a bit awkward, they're a bit more like showers in a gym / swimming pool, but you can get an en-suite room, which has a separate bathroom all together if you want more privacy. It only costs a little more (.50p to a £1.0 on average) but it can be more comfortable.

Well equipped hostel in a great location. Kitchen and bathroom facilities were excellent and staff were very helpful. Lockers were a bit questionable (outside the rooms and only fitted certain locks), but other than that we had no complaints.

Cheers for the sterling review my dear! The lockers can be a bit of a pain, the pro is that they're under the vigilant watch of the cameras. I think, because of the odd design of some of the rooms, it can sometimes be quite awkward to put lockers in the rooms, but we're working on a remedy for that.

Try to avoid the upper level beds, they are faraway from the electrical sockets.

Hehe, sage advice when using hostels. It's a bit hard working around odd plug sockets and old-school wiring when traveling, it can be part of the problem solving. If you have troubles though, you can give us a buzz at reception and we'll see if we can do a cheeky swap over for a lower bunk.

Nice hostel, especially the very friendly staff at the reception.

Glad you liked it! (And good to know the receptionists are behaving themselves!) Hope to see you again :)

Not very social atmosphere. Only a small tv room and patio to sit and talk. Rooms were hotter than hell! Not bad, but definitely a 2 night stay max!

Comfortable hostel with very good staffs and excellent breakfast .

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Colombia

Awesome, glad you enjoyed your stay with us matey! Hope you got your money's worth at breakfast too ;) otherwise, swing back some time for more!

I had a pleasant stay. The location of the hostel was very good as the city centre was at a walkable distance. The staff are nice and friendly. It was very generous of them to provide breakfast. Thank you very much Hatters my stay in Manchester was lovely.

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • India

Really friendly staff, excellent location, free breakfast. I would definitely stay here again if I was in Manchester.

• 2nd Sep 2014

Well, next time you visit the great and mighty Manchester, just swing by us! We're stoked you enjoyed your stay here and that the staff are behaving themselves :p hehe!

The staff was friendly, always ready to help. The breakfast was complete, it is a comfortable place in an accessible area.

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Argentina

Nice warm showers and I loved the fresh orange juice in the morning. As with most hostels a fan or airconditioning in the rooms might improve the somewhat stale air.

I always detour to the kitchen for a cheeky glass or OJ before my shift, a bit of zest helps kick people off on the right foot! I think this has been a particularly warm summer, which makes it a bit uncomfortable! So yeah, air-con might be a welcome adaption for the future if things keep getting warmer in the UK haha Glad you enjoyed it here though!

Probably the best hostel I've been this summer. Private room with private bathroom are lovely. Staff very friendly and helpful. thanks

Yay! thanks for the sterling review, we're really glad you enjoyed your time here! Take care & hopefully see you again soon!

I really wanted to enjoy my time here. Its a great location of Manchester with really cool coffee shops and record stores, the facilities were amazing, big kitchen, great water pressure in the showers and staff. My only complaint was the other people staying here. It seems to attract a weird crowd of people who honestly made us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. I hear that the other Hatters in Manchester has a better overall vibe. Wouldn't stay in this hostel again sadly.

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the facilities and that the staff were on their feet. It can be a bit awkward with the crowds that develop in hostels, what with the traveler culture, but there's always a high turn over of people so it changes pretty rapidly. If all else fails and it makes you feel uncomfortable, we may be able to move you to another room. Thanks for the feed back!

- I was assigned to a first room where the people who was there before than me trashed the entire room and dirtied my bed. So I had to pay to change to another room, otherwise I would have to sleep in the middle of the trash.

Our room was very narrow, almost no space to spare with luggage of 4 people in there. I saw that there are other rooms for 4 people with more than double the space!

I know how you feel when trying to fit luggage in the rooms - it can be a bit like old-school Tetris. Unfortunately our building is fairly old so it's bounced from purpose to purpose a few times, and wasn't designed specifically as a hostel. We do have a luggage storage room to use if you're having troubles though :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7