Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

Worth the money

Thanks, it's probably the only thing that is.

Had a great time staying at hatters. The location is very central. I would deff recommend this place to others.

• 8th Jan 2015

Damn straight.

Good facilities, including a kitchen and TV room. No lockers in room but small lockers available in then hallway. Breakfast included, consists of bread, cereal, yoghurt, milk, juice, fruit. Our room was a bit too cold but the lady on reception was very kind and found an extra heater to put in our rooms. Spacious 6 bed dorm and bathrooms. Great location too, in the northern quarter (aka the "trendy area"), close to plenty of great bars, cafes and unique shops. Big shopping centre also close by.

No heating in room/common room/kitchen!! Unacceptable! No lockers in room, the few lockers in reception don't work with travel locks. Ensuite for dorms are a bad idea. Having brekkie cereal provided was nice. Apart from one English lady the staff were generally disinterested and rude, especially at check in. I cut my stay short after one night. Unfortunately there is not many backpacker options in Manchester, but also not so much to see, I recommend skipping and spend more time in Liverpool.

Our heaters are on timers which can make it quite cold for 30 minute periods in these winter months but we promise if you just give it time it will heat up!

Amazing place for central manchester and brilliant price with an ensuite bathroom in the dorm so no walking down corridors in the middle of the night ! Free breakfast included as well so yes I thoroughly recommend

THANK YOU, we think bathrooms in dorms are a brilliant idea too. Although it is rather entertaining when some half naked guy has forgotten his key into his dorm. Our tea and coffee is free 24/7 too so if you sleep in and miss breakfast you can stuff your face with coffee granules.

Hatters Hostel at Hilton Chambers is centrally located in the Northern Quarter of Manchester city centre, in close proximity to main transport connections. The amenities are reasonably satisfactory. The dorm rooms are compact, but the rooms can be incredibly cold during the night. The staff seem helpful and accommodating. Free luggage storage and wifi. I would stay again.

I just got back from a warm country and went home to a tiled floor and a broken boiler. If only there was a kind receptionist on my doorstep to offer me an extra blanket, like at Hatters. Thanks for the review and we hope you do stay again. We will keep you warm.

Spanish guy in his late 40's manning the front desk is not a pleasant person. He was so miserable and quite rude on a few separate occasions. Besides that, that atmosphere was lax, bathrooms were alright. Best part, is the pool table and lounges. Free breakfast not too bad either. Location is good.

Pleasant clean hostel, with friendly guests singing songs in kitchen. Room was a little noisy from clubs. Kitchen could use an oven and the bathroom is not well designed where the showers have no area to get changed or to keep a dry towel so that people who are coming in to bathroom or by the sink will see you getting in and out of shower.

We are slightly wary of the big fat grease monster that lurks within hostel ovens, but we will think of getting the little portable ones in! We do have a hob however so it's still possible to cook (for us)! We're sorry you felt uncomfortable in our bathrooms - there is a bench to put dry towels on and most of our guests just hang their clothes over the shower door - they don't get wet and you're dressed when you come out, like MAGIC.

The staff is pretty average. The hostel does not offer any activities, no walking tour, pubcrawl, etc. It was pretty clean, and the kitchen and lounge were pretty well kept. The rooms were also pretty spacious. Not having lockers in the rooms is not that much of a problem since you can always lock your valuables in the smaller lockers in the hallway. Probably would not stay in this hostel again, and would rather look for a hostel that has more activities

Average? AVERAGE? Well that's upsetting. We will do our best to extraordinarify ourselves for next time!! We actually run activities every day of the week but unfortunately around Christmas time we're very quiet and the person, eg, running the bar crawl every weekend, ends up being forced to go out and get wasted by themselves.

Brilliant breakfast for a hostel!

And it's free! Incredible.

I had a lovely stay at Hilton Chambers. The staff being very friendly and helpful, and as it is a somewhat smaller hostel, it had a very cosy feel to it. A calm place, when you don't want to much loud music and yelling and running around from other guests. Certainly a place I will recommend to others, going to Manchester!

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

Wifi was slow and unreliable. No free storage for luggage in rooms, rooms were very squashy. Our ensuite Bathroom in our 8bed dorm wasn't cleaned during our 4 days there. We had some food taken/thrown out despite beating labelled and bagged. Beds were very loud and very uncomfortable.

• 11th Dec 2014

Hi there, thanks for the comments. With our WI FI, we don't claim it to be the best but its free! For Super Duper broadband you have to pay a small amount for access. We also inform our guests that they can leave luggage with us for free as well until 6pm on departure. Our ninja housekeeprs also secretly change bins, replace toilet roll and up keep of cleanliness in the bathrooms every day you may have missed them. Apologies about the food but there is a risk that sometimes food will go astray!

Overall nice experience. The Only thing I was there for a few very cold nights. Staff kept saying heating is gonna come on soon, it never did and I had to wear a few layers to stay warm

• 2nd Dec 2014

The staff here are unhelpful and extremely disorganised. Two nights out of the three I stayed, another guest was allocated to my bed. The second time this happened I was downgraded and received neither compensation nor apology. Third night the sound from the street kept me awake all night. Would not recommend to anyone.

Hey there, I'm not sure what happened and and would say thats not our usual standards. We will continue to imporve our service and standards and try to do much better next time!

Not impressed, and won't stay again. At first, they refused to book me in, stating that my photo id wasn't good enough. Eventually, she relented. I got to my room, to discover someone sleeping in my bed. When I asked for a different bed, they then allocated me one that had already been slept in. I went outside for a cigarette whilst they changed the bedding, and then found I couldn't get back in as no one was manning the desk, so was stuck near midnight outside the building for an extra 10 mins.

Hi, feedback is always useful. I'm sorry about the trouble with check-in but we do our best to ensure that security is kept tight what with the potential of fraudulent or stolen I.D. In terms of the beds, people can get muddled-up. Letters can be hidden & accidents happen. So long as we're made aware, we can sort the beds for you. In the evening we only have one person on the desk as it's not busy. Certain events can pull them away to help guests or clean & patrol the hostel.

Beds aren't good, not awful but not a selling point. Good location but can be noisy in street-side rooms. Some very good staff, some a bit rude. Great social areas. Well cleaned. Typically UK hostel atmosphere, ruined at the weekends by people on a night out, but chilled and friendly the rest of the time. Price can be good but the amount it can go up by on certain nights is a rip off- I guess the night out crowd will pay it. Very secure.

Hey! Thanks for the review. I love the phrase 'Typical UK Hostel' - I know exactly what you mean - but it does make things colourful. I'm glad you made the most the location, both hatters are really well placed if you enjoy the alternative and indie cultures of Manchester. With regards to pricing, it naturally gets more expensive around weekends when there are big events on. Unfortunately that means that when the city gets more exciting, it also gets more expensive :( ce la vi!

The staff and owners were very helpful and kind and always available to help or chat. Located at the heart of the city and easy to travel to and from.

Hey Rahib, Thank's for the review! It's good to know the bosses are behaving themselves, and we're stoked you enjoyed meeting the staff too (you will be missed)! Hopefully you made the most of the hostels prime location near the good music and food venues in the northern Quater!

Food not too good: half the fruit and the bread would be mouldy :(

Hey, thanks for the review! That's not good! If you ever see that, give your staff a heads up and they can take care of it. Unfortunately food can be a tricky thing to juggle sometimes, especially bread - the bane of my breakfast! But our staff should bite the bullet and deal with anything like that for you ; )

Very good Hostel to meet people and made some friends. Very nice staffs, They are friendly y kindly. I recomend this Hostel and sure come back there.

Yay! Thanks for the lovely review Renata! We're stoked you enjoyed your time and made some friends in Manchester (or international, as the case may be)! Next time you'll have to critique us to make sure we're maintaining this awesome standard!!

Very friendly stay. It was a pleasure to stay here

Hey Gregory, Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad you enjoyed your time here and that you found it welcoming and friendly! hopefully we'll have the pleasure of hosting you again!