Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

Our room was very narrow, almost no space to spare with luggage of 4 people in there. I saw that there are other rooms for 4 people with more than double the space!

I know how you feel when trying to fit luggage in the rooms - it can be a bit like old-school Tetris. Unfortunately our building is fairly old so it's bounced from purpose to purpose a few times, and wasn't designed specifically as a hostel. We do have a luggage storage room to use if you're having troubles though :)

A decent hostel with excellent staff. The rooms weren't anything special. Internet was reliable but not very fast, at 125kb/s. Pub crawl wasn't anything to rave about, and was 90% dudes. Overall an okay place to stay.

Hehe, we'll work on wrangling in some more ladies and balancing out the gender ratio for the pub crawls ; ) It is pretty standard accommodation, main thing is it's a safe, dry port in the storm - and considering Manchesters climate, that's invaluable. Cheers for the review! : )

an average hostel, only a few issues, bunks are so close you can't stand between them without turning sideways, lots of noise from the street, only half of 1 toaster works, considering breakfast only consists of toast and cereal how hard would it be to have fully working toasters so no long waits just to make toast. other then that friendly staff and clean place

I can safely report that the toaster situation has been resolved (hoorah!) so speedy breakkys are now available. The hostel is located in the Northern Quater, it's the growing indie-art / music scene for Manchester, so the good thing is you dont need to go far for some lively scenes, but you are near all the action, mainly around weekends. If you do need them we have earplugs downstairs and so long as we have some room, the receptionists may be able to move you to a more suitable room.

Amazing location in an amazing city. Nice and clean. No elevator.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Israel

Thanks for the review - unfortunately because of the old design of the building there's no elevator. It can be a pain, particularly when we get deliveries, but if you have troubles in the future just ask the guys at receptions - they need the exercise!

Hatters was awesome. We only stayed one night but the hostel breakfast was so good (cereal) and the staff were so friendly that we really wished we could have stayed longer. The location and state of the dorm room and bathroom were all excellent and the lady on reception gave us awesome local tips and was a great laugh. Definitely will stay again. Thank you!

hehe, cheers guys, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay here. I figure it's important to get a good breakky in before a day of exploring - and naturally some good local tips are invaluable when you're traveling! Hope you guys enjoyed Manchester, Looking forwards to your return! : )

Stayed here for 2 nights, staff were very helpful, nice social but relaxed atmosphere, good common area and kitchen. Be careful with the lockers, you need to use a BIG lock or else the locker can still be opened (they have a sign beside the lockers to tell you this, but its useful to know before you arrive).

• 18th Aug 2014

Woop, woop, glad you enjoyed your stay! We're hoping to create a nice relaxed, but comfortable / professional atmosphere here so it's great to know we hit the nail on the head for you! The lockers are a bit of a pain, we do rent & sell padlocks at reception, and there are a few retailers nearby that sell some sturdy ones - but it is a bit weird that small locks can't keep them in place (I can't figure out the mechanics behind that?) Hope to see you again lovely!

Bangin' receptionists!

Boom! That's what we like to here! Hope you had a great time matey!

The bed was really uncomfortable. I could feel the springs pressing against my back. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay. The staff was really friendly and helpful.

Argh, apologies for the bed. Naturally there are heaps here as it is a hostel, and every now and then some of the springs go. If all else fails though, just give the guys at reception a heads up - they may be able to change the bed for you - or negotiate some kind of solution. Glad you enjoyed your stay though, hope to see you again! : )

If you're looking for a good nights sleep, probs not the best place to stay. But if you're keen to party and make friends then I would recommend this place. It was also nice to have breakfast included!

It's always good to get something in your belly before a day starts - I always miss it (I'm not a morning person). We're in a weird position here, in the middle of the Northern Quater which is better known for its hipster vibe, it has it's pros and cons, some good tunes but some noise! We do sell earplugs at the front desk if it is a big problem. Glad you found it social though, it's nice to have a good mingling of people - it compliments the transient-traveler vibe.

This is a hostel I could recommend to a friend. It's very well-located, really close to the city centre. Its atmosphere and value for money are great and one can still find a convenient kitchen to cook their meal or a room with tv and books to chill out. Once they use keycards, you need them to get access to the rooms' area and to the rooms themselves, which makes it a safe hostel, even though there aren't lockers in the rooms, only downstairs (by the reception). The rooms are big and comfortabl

Cheers matey! I think we do have a good positioning if you're looking to enjoy Manchester city life. The Northern Quater is where the artists and muso's tend to hang out. We're hoping to do some renovations in the near future to expand our reception - hopefully that'll give us enough space for some more lockers. It can be a bit annoying not having them in the room, but you can store large articles in the luggage room for £5.0 or laptops behind the desk (just flash a smile to reception :P).

You thought of everything there is to make a backpacker happy! I even got a free meal and a DVD night organized by you which was great. My only negative thing is, that the internet costs if you want to use the computers. I myself didn't have a wifi - usable tool with me and was therefore forced to pay for the internet.

Hehe, glad you enjoyed the free food and DVD's! We aim to please the travelers and wave the flag for Manchester! We use global gossip here, they're particularly useful for their reach & customer service - but they can be a little pricey in a travelers budget. It might be worth having a scan for internet cafe's while you're traveling - or libraries (they always have free wifi - I relied on them while traveling). Otherwise, we're stoked you enjoyed your time here! Safe travels!

A great travellers' hostel, very international. Staff were very helpful, facilities clean, breakfast much better than most places in London. Hard to find a hostel like this in the UK any more! Really enjoyed my stay. The only downside is the internet - connection pathetic and none in the rooms (unless u pay extra).

Glad you enjoyed it - and super proud we undermined London in and it's hostels - hehehe. The internet can be a bit hard to navigate. The free wi-fi is useful but it's mainly focused in the common rooms, (and then sometimes you do need to find a sweet spot) - I'm personally not a fan of any invisible technology, it's all magic to me!

Great location, amid arty area. Not much from the outside but have a nice outdoor area in the middle of the hostel. Comfortable beds, good breakfast, can't say anything bad about the place.

haha, that's for the lovely review, we do always welcome constructive criticism but flattery is wonderful too! Glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you made the most of the North Quater and its excess of hipsters!

Very very happy with all aspects of my stay and highly recommended to anyone of my friends to stay when in Manchester, Thanks to all.

• 9th Aug 2014

No worries! glad you enjoyed your stay, and naturally, you're welcome back any time! Hope you enjoyed Manchester as well - the little industro-art city it is!

One of the better hostels I've stayed at! Staff were really helpful, rooms were clean, great value for money and good location ! Only downfall is wifi is only accessible in the reception/dining areas.

hehe, we're glad you enjoyed it all - particularly the staff, it takes time to groom a good crop of workers! Wifi can be a bit hit and miss in the hostel, depending on how temperamental it's feeling - oh, the woes of technology. You can buy wifi vouchers at the front desk and take it to your room if you want some extra privacy.

Nice hostel. I would recommend though that every room should have a locker to save your stuff during the day.

glad you liked it here. It is a good idea to have lockers in the rooms, the pro of having them in the corridors is that they're monitored by the cameras in the hostel - just for a bit of extra security for the valuables.

This place looks like it's been recently done up coz it looks very attractive inside. Female dorm had enough power sockets for everyone, the bathroom was clean. For that price I was surprised at how great a place this is. Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Thank you lovely! Glad you got your moneys worth. I'm glad you liked the presentation too, we've not had any major renovations, we've just got a crack team of cleaners that keep us looking young!

Good location and had a nice time. Would stay there again.

Thanks matey, glad you enjoyed your stay!

Great location! Very secure. Friendly staff too.

Hehe, yay! glad you enjoyed your time here. I figure security is paramount, especially for travelers, so it's good to know we're hitting the nail on the head in that respects. I think all we're missing is a cosy fireplace and a homely old granny to bake some fresh pies, (but that's just my opinion).

Very friendly staff, great location and facilities. Hostel itself is very clean and cozy.

Glad you settled in here, its good to know we're creating a good environment for people to come too, particularly after traveling myself, it's always nice to find a good port-in-a-storm. Hope to see you again next time you swing by Manchester!