Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

Hostel was very close to Picadilly station which proved to be very convenient. Limited plugs in rooms and ghetto (vintage?) style Shower/Washroom facilities, and WiFi that literally didn't exist. I could see everyone else connected (In the lobby and eating area only) but my phone couldn't pick it up which was a major drawback for me. So much so that i booked my next night at the Hatters @ Newton St (Which was amazing). Also unfortunate that the 10% savings didn't apply. Overall, would give 7/10.

Close to the train station and easy to find. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. I definitely recommend them.

Clean, well-equipped. Very friendly staff, happy to help in any way! Middle of the coolest area, lots of bars and clubs. So out of the hostel's control, lots of noise at night time. But I brought ear plugs and slept well! Only residents could get into the hostel and their own rooms, you could put laptops etc behind the desk. But the bag storage was flawed - they gave us the key to access it unsupervised (there was a camera) so we could have nicked stuff. I would definitely stay here again.

• 20th Sep 2014

Rare to find a city hostel with such an intimate vibe. Great stay.

I had a great time at this hostel, met some unforgettable people there. The terrace at the back was the perfect place to meet people, the kitchen is very nice as well. Thanks for everythin.

The hostel is in a old building. But with a good internal adaptation. Although the rooms are large, they don't offer individual locker for your backpack/luggage. It is frustrating, because the hostel offers only 8 small lockers by aisle for every guests who are located at same aisle. But, in general, was a clean hostel in a good location.

I quite like that odd charm of 'inner youth' in a lot of Manchester's buildings, it's a bit of a nice surprise! There are pros and cons to having lockers in the corridors. They're watched by the cameras, but yes - it can be quite frustrating. I think we're due a revamp soon, so I'll put the idea in the bosses head (subliminally) ; ) Thanks for the review!

I know this hostel is way cheap, so I can't complain too much - it was clean, the location was great and I felt safe. However, I've stayed in other cheap hostels which had dorms rooms that were much less crowded. I didn't have floor space to put down my shoes. Normally there is a locker under the bed for each person, which can be locked - no such thing at hatters. The shower was always full. So I guess you get what you pay for, but I did get more in the past for the same money.

Some of the rooms can be a bit tight, its all based around the floor plan of the building. It does come down to when we get chance to redevelop and add to the hostel - but like all beautiful things it's a work in progress. We do have en-suite rooms too, usually if you book a smaller en-suite room (say 4/6 bed dorm) you'll have plenty of chance to get a shower in, but again that does cost a little more than the standard rooms. Thanks for the earnest review : )

There are some things I didnt like about the hostel.Everytime I needed to get something from the reception I had to wait for 10 mins or so.Even though therem was someone at reception, at peak times there really was the need for a second person,which the reception desk was built for anyway. The rooms are okay,but the shower doesnt have anything to put your clothes at,so when you stepped out of the shower cub, you stood naked in front of the toilet sinks since the shower and toilets were together

It's a bit odd in this hostel, it can either be very quiet or very busy - we usually try to forward plan for any upcoming events to ensure that there are enough staff on, but sometimes we can get taken by surprise. The showers are a bit awkward, they're a bit more like showers in a gym / swimming pool, but you can get an en-suite room, which has a separate bathroom all together if you want more privacy. It only costs a little more (.50p to a £1.0 on average) but it can be more comfortable.

Well equipped hostel in a great location. Kitchen and bathroom facilities were excellent and staff were very helpful. Lockers were a bit questionable (outside the rooms and only fitted certain locks), but other than that we had no complaints.

Cheers for the sterling review my dear! The lockers can be a bit of a pain, the pro is that they're under the vigilant watch of the cameras. I think, because of the odd design of some of the rooms, it can sometimes be quite awkward to put lockers in the rooms, but we're working on a remedy for that.

This hostel was good with the highlight being the free pubcrawl which allowed you to meet your fellow travellers. It's within easy walking distance of the train station and the centre of town. The downsides were that the wifi was only on the main floor, there are no lockers in the room and the breakfast is quite basic but I wouldn't leave it until the last minute or there may not be much left.

Try to avoid the upper level beds, they are faraway from the electrical sockets.

Hehe, sage advice when using hostels. It's a bit hard working around odd plug sockets and old-school wiring when traveling, it can be part of the problem solving. If you have troubles though, you can give us a buzz at reception and we'll see if we can do a cheeky swap over for a lower bunk.

Nice hostel, especially the very friendly staff at the reception.

Glad you liked it! (And good to know the receptionists are behaving themselves!) Hope to see you again :)

1 2 3 4 Next » last »