Hatters at Hilton Chambers Reviews

15 Hilton Street, Manchester, England

The hostel was very noisy after 11pm, the night porters didn't even attempt to control the noise level. Also, the hostel is located near some clubs so the noise also come from outdoors. The rooms are very spacious, I was staying in a 4 beds dorm, but they don't have lockers, which are located in the corridors. There aren't enough and it's not handy at all. The toilettes were dirty for most of the time I stayed at the hostel.

The Northern Quarter can get a bit loud, especially around weekends! We do have disposable earplugs at reception, and if the problems persist we can move people to another room, depending on what works. Otherwise it is a con of inhabiting the city centre. The good thing about the lockers is that they're in view of the cameras rather than in the rooms, but hopefully we will be getting more in when we spruce up reception.

There was problems with the electronic door lock on 3 days I was there mainly the one between reception and 2nd floor however one night the downstairs lock didn't work at all so anyone could walk into the building!, The staff were very helpful though always friendly and happy to help. The pub crawl was well organised by Caitlin who was very good managing to strike balance between getting people in party spirit and losing control of them. A very good evening was had.

No lockers for luggage. Fully equipped kitchen and free breakfast till 10. Pub crawl is fun and wifi is good

Great for the price and nice location, but could be a much nicer hostel with just a minimal investement and renovation....

The hostel itself was well kept and greatly located. Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were spacious enough. Only problem was the lack of the backpacking atmosphere as well as much common room space for using internet.

no unlimited wifi access

• 27th Jul 2014

It's everything fantastic, from the staff to the environment. However the bathrooms have been dirty all the time.

• 27th Jul 2014

My mattress was a little bit old and there were few power outlets in the room. No wifi at the rooms either. The stuff were nice, although they made us leave the chillout room very early, what was not nice at all. The main purpose of the chill out room is to have somewhere to stay really. Breakfast was just ok.

Because our building wasn't specifically built as a hostel, you can get some rooms where the power outlets are in awkward places, but just ask us and we'll point them out for you, or you can leave your things charging etc., at our reception desk :) Our TV lounge does close but the kitchen area where you can also hang out is open 24/7.... and who doesn't love an impromptu kitchen party!!!

Hatters was absolutely great! The staff was super helpful while booking day trips and always available to answer questions. The sister hostel on Newton was great as well. I went out on Caitlin's pub crawl on a Friday night and had the best time! She was so fun and approachable. I would definitely recommend attending one of them from Thursday to Saturday. Thanks for the memories, Caitlin!

• 25th Jul 2014

Well WHAT a fabulous reviewer you are ;) We're so glad that you experienced both hostels as we often get people who thought one or the other was too quiet/loud, unaware that they are missing out on the party/peaceandquiet at the other one!! Bar crawl tomorrow, see you at 9?

Nice terrace and spacious kitchen. Clean bathrooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Only the city maps they handed out could be improved. Mine was a b/w copy.

I'm still angry at the terrace for making me fall over when I was wearing heels on it about a year ago but yes it IS lovely, and it DOES welcome a happy smoker ;) We hand out about 20 maps a day so unfortunately we can't do them all in colour but we can direct you to the tourist office 5 minutes away who will give you a nice big free one :)

Pretty standard hostel facilities. The larger bathrooms were nice. Excellent location.

Having stayed at a couple of hostels, I have to say that hatters was my fav set up. With kitchen facilities, central location, onsuite bathroom, courtyard, pool table. The staff were friendly and helpfull. I had a great stay

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • South Africa

We do adore being the favourite! Thank you so much, we're close to all amenities and bars, restaurants, and if you want to stay in (on a rainy day, which of course rarely happens in Manchester) we've got DVD's or an Xbox that you can occupy yourselves with :) Come back soon!

Good location, short walk to high street and transport. Kitchen facilities to cook your own meals and continental breakfast is decent. Little to no atmosphere around the common areas. Just seemed very subdued for the 3 nights i was there. Overall, would recommend the hostel for a group as opposed to a solo traveller

Thanks for leaving a review! Our kitchen is open 24/7 and free to use by anyone :) It can get quite quiet around Hilton Chambers as it's more advertised as a place to get your head down, but if you're looking for a little more life, our Hatters hostel on Newton Street (which you can hang out in too) has more of a party vibe.

Good hostel to stay in Manchester. Rooms a bit small, but we enjoyed staying there.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, we're glad you enjoyed your stay!

I only stayed for 1 night in a 6 bed dorm, unfortunately the room faced the road which is extremely busy and loud so sleeping was a bit of a challenge. Apart from that everything was fine.

Unfortunately our central location can be a downside with reference to the noise, but we do supply earplugs and can shift your room if you're having too much trouble - or sing you to sleep, whatever you need ;)

Check in was quick, beds and rooms were clean. Security guard was very unfriendly, and you don't have your own key or card to get back inside.

We don't give out keys to get into the building in case they get lost - we are on a very busy street in the fabulous Northern Quarter and while the Mancunians are a friendly bunch, we don't want to be encountering any unwanted visitors! We're sorry you had a bad experience with our night staff - please feel free to email us directly if there was anything you wanted to talk to us about.

Great hostel. Good location, rooms are nice, staff are very friendly. Wifi works very well. I would stay here again.

Great location, the hostel´s pub crawl is nice to met new people, it was clean and facilities were good. My only concern was that WiFi didn´t reach rooms, but that´s not a big deal anyway, you aren´t there to stay in your room.

So glad you enjoyed our bar crawl!! I daresay it's our hosts favourite (three) nights - our mission is to FORCE FRIENDSHIP haha, thank you for leaving a review and we'll see you soon!

The kitchen was extremely packed in the morning during breakfast. There is no wifi in the room (as mentioned when you book, but if u buy the wifi, it works pretty well) The bathroom in my room was quite dirty and stayed like that during my stay, not sure if it's the cleaner's fault or people in my roomies as they were a messy bunch of people. Sockets not equally distributed and it's pretty warm at night with the small window opened.

When we have stayovers in a room over a period of less than a few days, we do rely on our guests to keep their things nice and tidy, but it doesn't always go down well with everyone! We will check rooms to make sure they're not too messy, but if you do notice an overflowing bin etc., just let us know and we'll be right in there :)

This hostel was in a great location, a street away from the main park and shopping area. The 6 bed female dorm had an ensuite with a great shower. Wifi access was free in the common rooms so most people used those areas for that purpose, rather than socialising with other hostellers. The staff were really friendly and helpful, even when my tour was difficult to book they were persistent. The hostel has different events every night. I would definitely be back here if I returned to Manchester.

Haha we're adamant that every guest must enjoy Manchester to the fullest!! We were thinking of turning our storage cupboard into a small closet for wi-fi addicts, just cramming them in there like sardines, but weren't sure if it would go down too well with our future reviews. We suggest just staring them down until they look up and HAVE to have a conversation.