Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Hatters provided me with a great base in the centre of Manchester where I needed cheap accommodation for work. It was a friendly hostel in a perfect location for the city centre.

• 21st Apr 2015

Least comfortable bed I've slept on in a hostel, the layout of the hostel is a bit strange and makes toilet arrangements difficult to manage. They insist on keeping windows open all night in a city that never sleeps, and the noise made it impossible for me to sleep a wink. Staff was very helpful -- that is, when they were there. Have fun waiting ten minutes outside to get inside!

I didn't like the fact that showers couldn't be locked.

Hostel was easy to find and within walkable distance to all the tourist spots in Manchester. The staffs were also very nice and helpful in giving us information. Highly recommended.

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! Our grand old building's proximity to the tourist spots, as well as our staff's intimate knowledge of all the spots (including the lesser known gems) are like a match made on Tinder: purely physical with lots of poking of your phone screen to find the best

Now that was a great decision to stay there for a week! The staff are fantastic and a wealth of information on anything manchester as well as good for a chat. I enjoyed the daily activities.... The pub crawls were awesome fun. Met some great fellow travellers, had a few too many beers and the pub crawl host was a top bloke. Shout out to the bloke from Sydney in reception,sorry I forgot your name but cheers for the chats, info and making my week in Manchester enjoyable. Thanks hatters!

Now you Sir sound like you know how to get things done! For anyone else wanting to follow in your footsteps, we can offer: Free nightly activities (food night, games night, cinema night, Northern Quarter Pub crawl); Friday and Saturday Manchester Pub Crawls; a bar recently voted one of the best in Manchester; free wifi, games, Xbox and DVDs; a funky old building with comfy common areas; top location and staff full of knowledge on where to eat, drink,see and play. The rest is up to you!

Place is filthy, floors seriously need to be mopped! Showers were not good at all, 10 secods of mildly warm water at a single button press. Whole place is just dirty and smelly, never peoperly cleaned. No ventelation in rooms. Location is good and wifi works well. Common area open all night, a big plus if you need to get some work done. Expensive for what you get and weekend went up to £31 per night for 10 bed dorm! I did sleep well tho and desk staff were nice.

Our housekeepers - you're breaking their hearts! But seriously, we are very sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with the cleanliness. If you ever feel things could be cleaner just let us know. As our housekeepers spends hours mopping, sweeping, polishing, dusting, loving the building from the top down each day, this should rarely be a problem but as the building is 100 years old some structural marks and scratches may have been there longer than Hatters has with no sign of budging

Very much enjoyed staying at hatters. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The location was great at the place was clean. Showers are on a system where there are only on for a minute then they turn off, but it's used to safe water, so we were all for it :) cheers hatters

And we very much enjoyed having you here, we hope that you were able to sample the many delights on offer in Manchester! If you are ever looking for tips of things to do here, our staff and our facebook page are some of the best resources on offer. Even people that have lived in Manchester their whole lives come to us for advice; "can you point us toward a good bar?", "what's the best way to get mustard stains out of denim?", "how do I know he's Mr Right?". We got the answers!

Nothing much to say, but that it's a good place to stay given the price. Slightly cold at night, but also having a very cheerful atmosphere.

If you ever have nothing much to say, just make it up, that's the key to success! Glad you found the place to be good value, certainly the perfect way to ensure you get to make the most of this wonderful city! A city where dreams come true! Even the dreams where you just can't seem to move at a regular speed and all your movements are slowed as if you are moving against an unrelenting headwind. It's happened before. It was in the newspaper.

Cold. That's the first word that comes to mind when thinking about my stay at Hatters. Just cold. The night was cold and I had to put my parka over my duvet. The bathroom was cold and it is just showers in a big cold room so you either have to be comfortable with getting dressed in an open area, or shuffle over to the (cold) toilets to get changed in a stall. I understand it's an old building and I was there in March but they need to spend some money on insulation and heating!

Should've asked for an extra quilt a night as it was pretty chilly. The reception guys were great help when I had card(key) problems with my room. Nothing is too much trouble, always a socket in common areas when I needed one. Bathrooms standard but at the price no complaints.

Indeed if you find it too chilly (though with 2 sunny days in a row, I think it's safe to say Summer is on its way) we can offer you an extra duvet. We hope if you're ever in Manchester again, you'll choose Hatters, or perhaps, we could visit you and stay in a spare room. We could even sleep on the couch. It's no trouble really. If you prefer, we have some inflatable mattresses we could bring and just tessellate them in your lounge, we don't want to impose. We'd hope that you'll feed us too

There was No water in the top floor for couple of days. They do not change the sheets on daily bases. The covers and sheets are smelly and very old.

• 24th Mar 2015
  • Republic of South Sudan

We are sorry for any inconvenience experienced. Sometimes our pump and water and 5th floor don't always coordinate, but this problem is only temporary, never ongoing, but please let our staff know of anything out of the ordinary in the hostel. Our sheets are changed for each new guest, but again if you aren't entirely happy with the new linen, we can try, try again.

no free wifi in the rooms :(

We do have free wifi available in all our common areas! Woooo! Wooooooo! Wooooooooooooo! (Look at how excited the ghosts get at that. We like to keep our invisible internet connections and our invisible manifestations of deceased human souls in the common areas and away from the rooms and they both ruin the sheets)

Excellent location, easy to find, quite cold at night, good breakfast, very clean, comfy beds and lots of places to store your stuff. Not very many plugs in the rooms. Would stay again :)

A well rounded review, much appreciated! Extra sockets are available in our common rooms, or behind reception, and if its get's too cold, we can offer an extra blanket for you. Also, have you tried adding chips to a pizza. It's called a chipza and it's pretty great. I've always added chips to my foods when they were available, but this is the first instance in which I've named a combination. Apparently it's pretty common in other countries though, but they call it pizza with potato.

Awesome hostel. Went on the pubcrawl on friday & walking tour saturday with Arron. Totally an awesome. Rob (aussie gu) was also right deadly awesome on check out. Would stay there again in a blink of an eye. What a great place with great staff! Only issue was there was no hot water in the shower + washroom. Made quick showers, but the awesomeness of the rest of the hostel made that not even an issue! Much better than the hatters in Liverpool, I found.

Thanks very much for letting us know how awesome we are! Our pub crawls are the perfect way to meet other travelers and see Manchester's reputable nightlife, and our Saturday free walking tour is the perfect way to see Manchester (while the rest of the town is in bed with a hangover). And Aaron, Rob and indeed the rest of our knowledagble, friendly and good looking staff are always willing to make your stay a pleasant one!

The owner was so lovely ! Cooked dinner for us on Saturday night - which was so lovely ! The hostel was extremely homely- the communal area was quite spacious and very inviting. Although no bunks was a bonus! The minimal space in the room for bags was slightly annoying how ever completely bare able. Complimentary breakfast and tea and coffee all day is always appreciated also. I absolutely loved my stay here !

Thank you, thank you! While I am not the owner, I often tell people I am to impress them as I am quite boring otherwise. Our free food night is on Tuesdays and our free breakfast is daily, and while I don't personally make them, I do tell people I do to impress them as I am quite unskilled otherwise. Our common areas, with music (of which you are welcome to make requests), a pool table, free tea and coffee, darts, foosball, free wifi, dvds and Xbox are yours to enjoy so please be sure you do!

10 minutes walk from the main train station, 5 minutes walk from the main square/city centre, in a nice street with a great atmosphere and excellent staff. the water jugs downstairs run out pretty quickly and if you want water after 10pm you have to use the upstairs kitchen, which isnt practical if you're planning to stay downstairs to use the wi-fi or whatever, but other than that, it was the second time I stayed here and, if I'm ever back in Manchester, I'll definitely go back.

"!Once you go Hatt(ers) you never go back(ers)!" An actual quote from a guest who never went back to their home country and instead got a job at the hostel and today serves as the number 1 corporate response executive in the company! I've made it Dad! I've made it. Also if you find things like water have run out, just let our marine services executives know at the reception and they can gather some more from you.

This place was filthy, bathrooms dirty all the time, jizz on the toilets. People drinking everywhere and very noisy. Hatters in Liverpool was a better experience than this one.

Sorry that Hatters Manchester has not met your expectations this time. We take the cleanliness of our hostel seriously, and our housekeepers work tirelessly to keep things up scratch. Admittedly some of the wear and tear of this grand old building can seem like it's dirtier than it is, but it is cleaned daily. We are a party hostel, and while some interpret that as solo parties in the bathroom or with friends in our common rooms, please do let recpetion know if this crosses any boundaries.

Fantastic expeirence. Perfect for group who just need somewhere cheap to stay. Good communal area as well which is ideal for pre drinks. Heart of city centre, no need for taxis back from nightclubs. Best showers you are every likely to expeirence. The girl named Alex behind the reception is an absolute babe!

• 6th Mar 2015

We love groups! If you make good friends with one of the group, you'll automatically seem like you have a bunch more friends, even if the rest don't particularly like you! Ahh high school. We can give groups dorm to themselves, we have ample communal space for you to congregate, and even a bar! A bar!

Hatter's facilities are better than common obviously, but noise duo to street car.

Glad you enjoyed the facilities, we love to hear feedback on how things can continually be improved. As for noise, don't forget that we have free ear plugs available at reception. And free hugs. Depending on which receptionist is on duty that is. Some of us are still reeling from the Great Hugging Tragedy of '94. RIP Phillip, Maggie, Jason, Elaine, Sandra, Peter S, Peter G, Shaun, Marty, Michael, Andre, Sara, Kris, Alan, Lamar, Celine, Cody, Don, Richie, Carol, Greg, Riz and Tom. BUT NOT CLAIR

Good place for a budget price. Good free breakfast.

If you're on a budget, the only choice is Hatters! Need a bed? Hatters! Want breakfast? Hatters! Naming your first born? Hatters! Collecting a debt? Hatters! Organising the Commonwealth Games? Hatters! Need a hat made? You go somewhere else!

« first « Prev 1 2 3