Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Brilliant stay, I'd lost my bank card after I had booked this and they were great about it and even didn't bother to make me pay a security deposit. Also was surprised with free dinner as well as breakfast, for a tenner room this was a godsend, thankyou :)

Excellent value for money, very happy I picked this hostel! Met some really friendly people and would definitely choose it again.

• 21st Jul 2015

Arrived very early after a long flight. So I knew that I would have to store my bag and come back after check-in. The fellow at the desk was friendly, and invited me to have breakfast if I wanted (even though it wasn't my check-in time yet). Little things like that make a big difference. My only slight negative is internet terminal charges. I do prefer places that don't charge for a 15-minute use of a terminal.

Excellent hostel. Only thing that needs to be looked at is the kitchen. Not enough equipment

• 19th Jul 2015

Cheap accommodation, nice staff, lots of stairs. Free breakfast decent -- cereal and toast, and Wifi great throughout hostel. Reception staff give useful maps and good advice about places to go. Only problem is very few power points in rooms and no individual lights. However happy overall and would stay again.

The female dorm was great, but the bathrooms and toilets are really an issue, especially on the weekends ... But thats more of a question about who stays there, people can really be untidy. There is a nice bar across the road for a decent breakfast.

The music in the ground floor lounge area was unnecessary loud, especially as some people were reading. Showers were a real disappointment due to low water pressure. Also, the doors to the rooms were really noisy - would be better to have a quieter closing mechanism. On the positive side, the staff were always friendly and helpful

Only two plugs by one bed in an eight person dorm is not enough. Everything else was fine. Spaces could be a little cleaner - bit of dust and dirt everywhere.

• 8th Jul 2015

The only problem with my room was that in order to keep the room from getting very hot we had to leave the window open so it caused the room to be very noisy from the street right outside the window. And the pillows were very thin so I suggest bringing your own. Breakfast was good & showers worked well. Over all a good place. Happy staff and happy atmosphere.

Lovely place :)

I had a great stay. Clean and felt safe. My only trouble was the lack of temperature adjust on the showers, but I enjoyed my stay. The staff gave me great recommendations for food (Rincon, tapas).

• 4th Jul 2015

I only stayed here one night to catch and early flight from Manchester airport but I had a wicked time and the staff were great in particular Maddy from the bar below and Eva who runs the bar crawl! Will be staying again if I'm ever in Manchester.

Thanks for leaving a review, we're so glad you had a good time!! Our bar has just recently opened - it's great having an abundance of alcohol just a few steps away from reception and even better that we now have even more lovely staff to drink it with :)

Nice bloke in reception, the hostel was a bit quiet with not much to do. The night staff were very flirty... Not cool. Shame there were five floors with no lift for guest use! It's an okay hostel but to be honest I expected more from it.

Our lift needs to be collected from whatever floor it has been taken to (it's grumpy and stubborn), so we hope you can understand that if our guests used it we would be faced with a constant struggle of trying to jog upstairs while a guest with heavy luggage (along with the rest of our patiently waiting summer queues!) waited for us to be able to help them up with it! Super fit staff unfortunately doesn't help in the review department :(

The showers could be done better with places to hang out clothes and place our toiletries.

Next on our list, we promise! Thanks for leaving a review :)

I found the night staff to be clueless most of the times. There were hardly any power sockets in my dorm. The toilets were below par.

We are working on installing more power points as we speak! It's a large building so might take a bit of time but we promise to fulfil your wishes! If you have any queries about the city or your stay at Hatters we encourage our guests to speak to reception from 7:30am - 11pm.

Nice place, worth the money. The cleanliness left a lot to be desired.. The toilets looked medieval. But a nice place after all, especially if you only use it to sleep

The toilets ARE pretty much medieval, and we love them! We plan to use better signage on how to use them though, not everyone understands the complex flushing system ;)

Great atmosphere and facilities. Short walk from main attractions and coach and train stations.

Our lovely guests create our brilliant atmosphere, so thank YOU, sir, thank you very much!

Stayed 1 night in a private room up on the 5th floor . This hostel has some serious maintenance issues. Here is a list of things that did not work: toilet in men bathroom , tap water in men bathroom , bed light (cord was cut off), TV , lift, juice machine. Next time I will stay in Travelodge or Premiere inn instead. Staff was helpful .

The fact that you say the toilet and taps didn't work in the men's bathrooms sounds like a pump had turned off somewhere in the building - this is easily fixed by the flick of a switch so if you ever have any issues just speak to our staff - we're pretty handy people :) Our lift does work, but it is uninsured for guests as it is very old, the poor thing!

excellent! ! that's the hostel you looking for

Lucky it's so easy to find ;)

Only a bit walk from shopping center and bus station, staffs were so friendly, room & bathroom were clean

Cheers for the review!!!