Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Hatters is a very big hostel in the middle of Manchester. They provide free breakfast and sometimes even free dinner. The international staff is very friendly too. One girl at the reception has a very sweet smile. Here you meet a lot of other travelers.

Good hostel, very well located. Has activities to encourage meeting people and it's great. I had a good time at night playing pool with Pablo (staff) and some other bag packers.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Chile

People were drying hair in the kitchen YUCK! Girls toilet was blocked for 4 days that I was there. Tea and coffee all day was good

• 7th Apr 2014

To noise with the pubs around

It is quite dirty and i was in a 10 bed room and it got incredibly hot at night. The wifi sucks. Cool toilets though

Stayed in a private room so can't comment on the dorms but the room was brilliant. The building is amazing, love how they've done it. The hostel is so central, amazing location. I'm definitely going back next time i'm in Manchester.

• 4th Apr 2014

Great receptionist, really helpful and friendly. The room and bed were fine, although I had the bed right by the door which meant it was a very noisy night! As the room wasn't fully booked, I'm not sure why I was given this bed and not a quieter one. The showers were great, water temperature was perfect. Thanks for the free breakfast too, although would be even better if you had peanut butter ;) Directions were great, found it very easily. Thanks!

Hey!!! Thank you so much for leaving a review - when our bookings come through they are automatically allocated, but next time you book just put in a request and we'll go scope out the room to get ya what ya need! Peanut butter is an absolutely fabulous idea, you should be hired as our hostel cuisine director I reckon haha. SEE YOU SOON!!

That blond girl from the staff was fabulous :)

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Poland

Haha thanks guys!!! But there's two blonds - we're going to have to have a ho-down. All the best in Manchester and we hope you had a FABULOUS time with us (of course you did).

We booked a night in a twin bedroom for one night at the Hatters Hostel on Newton Street. When arriving there, the staff at the reception could not find our reservation. It turned out, that the hostel had moved our reservation to the Hatters on Hilton Street. It would have been nice if we were informed about this beforehand. The hostel on Hilton Street was nice, it could have been cleaner though. The breakfast was simple, but good and the location was great, too. The staff was helpful and nice.

the wifi in the common room is not strong enough. i understand no wifi in the bedroom but even the common room....it seems force us to buy wifi there. wifi is a common thing in every single hostel now.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Hong Kong

Stayed when man united played man city, so it was very expensive for us but that was bad luck (because we aren't into football). Although bedrooms were good, kitchen facilities were poor - no tea towels so things were always wet, a lack of cutlery and few pots and no pot lids. Also shower doors are completely see through! Events were fun (movie night, and pasta - thanks Pablo). Breakfast was run out by 9am so late risers miss out.

Staff were nice but the whole place was dusty and grimy its too bad because there are so well position right downtown.

Great location right in the city centre. The room was correct, bed was nice enough and hostel facilities are good. Continental breakfast was superfb and free. On the negative side, bathrooms are old and often very cold, although they were quite clean. Special and very positive mention to the staff and volunteers, they were really friendly, the activities were nice (that movie projection!) and the guys created a great atmosphere during my stay. PS: someone stole my shower gel in toilet...

• 16th Mar 2014
  • Spain

Hello again and thank you for the review! We have activities every single night at the hostel which are all free and all fabulous :D We're sorry about the cold in the bathrooms, they are 'authentic' and can get cold, we're waiting for the summer to roll on!!!

I love The Hatters, when in Manchester, I always stay in one of them. This one having been my first choice years ago, I tend to pick a place here. I also saw some kind faces known to me from previous occasions, which felt real good. What made me a bit sad was the fact that they omitted one of the specialties of Hatters: the availability of toasties 24 hours a day. It felt so good to feel safe. I also must complain about no yogurt nor fruit the second morning, I counted on them for my diet...

Well whatd'ya know, we love you too!!! It is heart warming to hear that you were welcomed back by familiar faces, we love to feel like home to you all! We're sorry about the lack of fruit and yogurt, it may have been a case of a late delivery which is frustrating for us too, but in some cases we have gotten tied up on the desk and not been able to come out and restock, so please ask us if this ever happens :) See you again soon!

Great place to stay - Center City. lovely staff and nice rooms

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review :)

Very enjoyable Hostel, the staff was very helpful and they offer great activities to meet new people and discover Manchesters nightlife.

• 11th Mar 2014

Hi! Thanks so much for leaving a review and letting everyone else know how WONDERFUL Hatters is!!!!! Our common room is a prime spot for spontaneous rendezvouzing and we'll help you to explore Manchester as best we can. PS. We have some mail for you ;)

Satisfied as always whenever stays here.

Great location and a reasonably well maintained hostel. Price seemed a little steep for what you pay for. But overall I would recommend.

• 8th Mar 2014

We keep ourselves as well maintained as possible, in fact we just got a shiny new green paint job and are looking SLICK, if we do say so ourselves. Unfortunately at some times of the year for example football games etc we do raise our prices but we make up for it with our PASSION.

My room was clean and the reception staff were very helpful

We are beaming, absolutely beaming!

I stayed here for 2 weeks and enjoyed every minute. The staff were very friendly and helpful, hostel was kept rather clean, free breakfast was very good, game facilities available including a pool table, prime location, rooms were fully heated, awesome relaxing atmosphere and met people from all around the world. I would recommend this Hostel to all my friends and I would stay there again and again

• 1st Mar 2014

AWWW HONEYBUNCH!!!!! Thanks for leaving us a detailed review so everyone knows what's up - we like all our guests to feel like they're in rainbow town. DO recommend us to all your mates, bring the whole lot over ;)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4