Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

When I got to the hostel, the receptionist couldn't find my booking. They told me that I had booked for the night before, and cancelled my booking, which I did not do at all. Luckily I had confirmation on my e-mail for the correct date and they had spare beds available. There seems to be some confusion with the system. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm which was basic. The beds were OK to sleep in for one night. The showers had frosted glass doors so you had to undress in the shower.

• 23rd May 2015

Great hotel with a friendly vibe.

Staff were awesome, a great thing for my first hostel ever. Everyone was very friendly there and it was a warm atmosphere. Luggage was brought up for you but had to travel up 5 flights of stairs every trip in and out of hostel or to common room. Didn't bother me. Free breakfast was cereal, muesli, toast, orange juice, tea and coffee. A lot of car horns and sirens all night long especially on Saturday night even on 5th floor. Heating worked really well, never needed a jumper. Would stay again :)

The staff were friendly and helpful, good facilities i.e. toilets, kitchen, tv room. Located right amongst the city! Would recommend hatters to anyone.

its okay for a few nights. rooms are decent (floor is a bit dusty but no big deal). showers are a bit annoying but the button lasts around a minute and you can just hold it down. no lockers in the room, which is a big deal. my backpack was too large for going up and down from the luggage room downstairs so i chained it to my bed and a guest stole my lock in the early morning when i left it unlocked as i slept. the staff are super friendly though and helped me with everything i needed.

This was my 2nd hostel stay, overall I was very happy with my experience! The staff were very friendly and welcoming! The hostel was super close to the city centre and an express supermarket which made things handy! The only downside is there is no recycling for your rubbish - everything goes in the same bin, hopefully they look into this so they can do their bit for the environment! Other than that, a very pleasant stay!

Was very impressed overall. Only small problem I had was with the hot water in the showers, it often only lasted for a min or less, but would stay again. Cheers.

The hostel was very easy to get to and have 24 hour reception which is great, as I got in quite late. It was kind of hard to sleep because there is a lot going on in the street, especially since the hostel has a club. All the noise came in through the walls and windows. The door to the dorm was impossible not to slam so everytime anyone was in or out it was quite loud. I stayed in a 10 person all girls dorm which I think was the best option because the girls themselves were quiet.

It was quite cold the first night, but the atmosphere is great

Great staff and facilities in heart Manchester. We really enjoyed our stay, thank you.

• 29th Apr 2015

Cheap and cheerful, definetly need to invest in the bathrooms and better windows. Staff were friendly

found the staff very understanding of my problem of no debit card accepted a room cash deposit would definitely stay again

• 22nd Apr 2015
  • blue2015

Hatters provided me with a great base in the centre of Manchester where I needed cheap accommodation for work. It was a friendly hostel in a perfect location for the city centre.

• 21st Apr 2015

This was my first hostel experience, and they for sure set the bar high. I was greeted by a very friendly and outgoing host, I believe his name is Rob, and he answered all my questions when it came to the hostel and the city. The hostel is in a great location, close to everything in walking distance. Although I only stayed for 3 nights, I definitely had a great time in Manchester. These guys know what they're doing and I hope they continue this model because I definitely will be coming back!

Least comfortable bed I've slept on in a hostel, the layout of the hostel is a bit strange and makes toilet arrangements difficult to manage. They insist on keeping windows open all night in a city that never sleeps, and the noise made it impossible for me to sleep a wink. Staff was very helpful -- that is, when they were there. Have fun waiting ten minutes outside to get inside!

Our building is an old hat factory so the layout isn't perfect but we do try to allocate males and females to the appropriate floors in accordance with the toilets however sometimes when we are full it's hard to manage! We are very sorry you had to wait outside too - often our staff are the only ones on reception and when bins need changing etc they may leave the desk for 5 minutes or so. On top of that they came with bladders, much to our annoyance.

I didn't like the fact that showers couldn't be locked.

Hostel was easy to find and within walkable distance to all the tourist spots in Manchester. The staffs were also very nice and helpful in giving us information. Highly recommended.

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! Our grand old building's proximity to the tourist spots, as well as our staff's intimate knowledge of all the spots (including the lesser known gems) are like a match made on Tinder: purely physical with lots of poking of your phone screen to find the best

Now that was a great decision to stay there for a week! The staff are fantastic and a wealth of information on anything manchester as well as good for a chat. I enjoyed the daily activities.... The pub crawls were awesome fun. Met some great fellow travellers, had a few too many beers and the pub crawl host was a top bloke. Shout out to the bloke from Sydney in reception,sorry I forgot your name but cheers for the chats, info and making my week in Manchester enjoyable. Thanks hatters!

Now you Sir sound like you know how to get things done! For anyone else wanting to follow in your footsteps, we can offer: Free nightly activities (food night, games night, cinema night, Northern Quarter Pub crawl); Friday and Saturday Manchester Pub Crawls; a bar recently voted one of the best in Manchester; free wifi, games, Xbox and DVDs; a funky old building with comfy common areas; top location and staff full of knowledge on where to eat, drink,see and play. The rest is up to you!

Place is filthy, floors seriously need to be mopped! Showers were not good at all, 10 secods of mildly warm water at a single button press. Whole place is just dirty and smelly, never peoperly cleaned. No ventelation in rooms. Location is good and wifi works well. Common area open all night, a big plus if you need to get some work done. Expensive for what you get and weekend went up to £31 per night for 10 bed dorm! I did sleep well tho and desk staff were nice.

Our housekeepers - you're breaking their hearts! But seriously, we are very sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with the cleanliness. If you ever feel things could be cleaner just let us know. As our housekeepers spends hours mopping, sweeping, polishing, dusting, loving the building from the top down each day, this should rarely be a problem but as the building is 100 years old some structural marks and scratches may have been there longer than Hatters has with no sign of budging

Very much enjoyed staying at hatters. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The location was great at the place was clean. Showers are on a system where there are only on for a minute then they turn off, but it's used to safe water, so we were all for it :) cheers hatters

And we very much enjoyed having you here, we hope that you were able to sample the many delights on offer in Manchester! If you are ever looking for tips of things to do here, our staff and our facebook page are some of the best resources on offer. Even people that have lived in Manchester their whole lives come to us for advice; "can you point us toward a good bar?", "what's the best way to get mustard stains out of denim?", "how do I know he's Mr Right?". We got the answers!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4