Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Staff were awesome, a great thing for my first hostel ever. Everyone was very friendly there and it was a warm atmosphere. Luggage was brought up for you but had to travel up 5 flights of stairs every trip in and out of hostel or to common room. Didn't bother me. Free breakfast was cereal, muesli, toast, orange juice, tea and coffee. A lot of car horns and sirens all night long especially on Saturday night even on 5th floor. Heating worked really well, never needed a jumper. Would stay again :)

The staff were friendly and helpful, good facilities i.e. toilets, kitchen, tv room. Located right amongst the city! Would recommend hatters to anyone.

This was my 2nd hostel stay, overall I was very happy with my experience! The staff were very friendly and welcoming! The hostel was super close to the city centre and an express supermarket which made things handy! The only downside is there is no recycling for your rubbish - everything goes in the same bin, hopefully they look into this so they can do their bit for the environment! Other than that, a very pleasant stay!

Was very impressed overall. Only small problem I had was with the hot water in the showers, it often only lasted for a min or less, but would stay again. Cheers.

The hostel was very easy to get to and have 24 hour reception which is great, as I got in quite late. It was kind of hard to sleep because there is a lot going on in the street, especially since the hostel has a club. All the noise came in through the walls and windows. The door to the dorm was impossible not to slam so everytime anyone was in or out it was quite loud. I stayed in a 10 person all girls dorm which I think was the best option because the girls themselves were quiet.

It was quite cold the first night, but the atmosphere is great

Great staff and facilities in heart Manchester. We really enjoyed our stay, thank you.

• 29th Apr 2015

Cheap and cheerful, definetly need to invest in the bathrooms and better windows. Staff were friendly

found the staff very understanding of my problem of no debit card accepted a room cash deposit would definitely stay again

• 22nd Apr 2015
  • blue2015

Hatters provided me with a great base in the centre of Manchester where I needed cheap accommodation for work. It was a friendly hostel in a perfect location for the city centre.

• 21st Apr 2015

This was my first hostel experience, and they for sure set the bar high. I was greeted by a very friendly and outgoing host, I believe his name is Rob, and he answered all my questions when it came to the hostel and the city. The hostel is in a great location, close to everything in walking distance. Although I only stayed for 3 nights, I definitely had a great time in Manchester. These guys know what they're doing and I hope they continue this model because I definitely will be coming back!

Least comfortable bed I've slept on in a hostel, the layout of the hostel is a bit strange and makes toilet arrangements difficult to manage. They insist on keeping windows open all night in a city that never sleeps, and the noise made it impossible for me to sleep a wink. Staff was very helpful -- that is, when they were there. Have fun waiting ten minutes outside to get inside!

I didn't like the fact that showers couldn't be locked.

Hostel was easy to find and within walkable distance to all the tourist spots in Manchester. The staffs were also very nice and helpful in giving us information. Highly recommended.

Thanks very much for your review and recommendation! Our grand old building's proximity to the tourist spots, as well as our staff's intimate knowledge of all the spots (including the lesser known gems) are like a match made on Tinder: purely physical with lots of poking of your phone screen to find the best

Now that was a great decision to stay there for a week! The staff are fantastic and a wealth of information on anything manchester as well as good for a chat. I enjoyed the daily activities.... The pub crawls were awesome fun. Met some great fellow travellers, had a few too many beers and the pub crawl host was a top bloke. Shout out to the bloke from Sydney in reception,sorry I forgot your name but cheers for the chats, info and making my week in Manchester enjoyable. Thanks hatters!

Now you Sir sound like you know how to get things done! For anyone else wanting to follow in your footsteps, we can offer: Free nightly activities (food night, games night, cinema night, Northern Quarter Pub crawl); Friday and Saturday Manchester Pub Crawls; a bar recently voted one of the best in Manchester; free wifi, games, Xbox and DVDs; a funky old building with comfy common areas; top location and staff full of knowledge on where to eat, drink,see and play. The rest is up to you!

Place is filthy, floors seriously need to be mopped! Showers were not good at all, 10 secods of mildly warm water at a single button press. Whole place is just dirty and smelly, never peoperly cleaned. No ventelation in rooms. Location is good and wifi works well. Common area open all night, a big plus if you need to get some work done. Expensive for what you get and weekend went up to £31 per night for 10 bed dorm! I did sleep well tho and desk staff were nice.

Our housekeepers - you're breaking their hearts! But seriously, we are very sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with the cleanliness. If you ever feel things could be cleaner just let us know. As our housekeepers spends hours mopping, sweeping, polishing, dusting, loving the building from the top down each day, this should rarely be a problem but as the building is 100 years old some structural marks and scratches may have been there longer than Hatters has with no sign of budging

Very much enjoyed staying at hatters. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The location was great at the place was clean. Showers are on a system where there are only on for a minute then they turn off, but it's used to safe water, so we were all for it :) cheers hatters

And we very much enjoyed having you here, we hope that you were able to sample the many delights on offer in Manchester! If you are ever looking for tips of things to do here, our staff and our facebook page are some of the best resources on offer. Even people that have lived in Manchester their whole lives come to us for advice; "can you point us toward a good bar?", "what's the best way to get mustard stains out of denim?", "how do I know he's Mr Right?". We got the answers!

Nothing much to say, but that it's a good place to stay given the price. Slightly cold at night, but also having a very cheerful atmosphere.

If you ever have nothing much to say, just make it up, that's the key to success! Glad you found the place to be good value, certainly the perfect way to ensure you get to make the most of this wonderful city! A city where dreams come true! Even the dreams where you just can't seem to move at a regular speed and all your movements are slowed as if you are moving against an unrelenting headwind. It's happened before. It was in the newspaper.

Cold. That's the first word that comes to mind when thinking about my stay at Hatters. Just cold. The night was cold and I had to put my parka over my duvet. The bathroom was cold and it is just showers in a big cold room so you either have to be comfortable with getting dressed in an open area, or shuffle over to the (cold) toilets to get changed in a stall. I understand it's an old building and I was there in March but they need to spend some money on insulation and heating!

Should've asked for an extra quilt a night as it was pretty chilly. The reception guys were great help when I had card(key) problems with my room. Nothing is too much trouble, always a socket in common areas when I needed one. Bathrooms standard but at the price no complaints.

Indeed if you find it too chilly (though with 2 sunny days in a row, I think it's safe to say Summer is on its way) we can offer you an extra duvet. We hope if you're ever in Manchester again, you'll choose Hatters, or perhaps, we could visit you and stay in a spare room. We could even sleep on the couch. It's no trouble really. If you prefer, we have some inflatable mattresses we could bring and just tessellate them in your lounge, we don't want to impose. We'd hope that you'll feed us too

« first « Prev 1 2 3