Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Loved the time i had at the hostel :) had a great time. The staff was very friendly :). The only thing that bothered me was the state of the toilets. Often there was no toilet paper.. And there were dirty, but i do understand that that really doesn't have to be the fault of the staff but rather the fault of some not good people.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

The showers are horrible - they are in the basement and there aren't any hot water (at least at night). You have to continuously push a button in order to get water so is virtually impossible to wash your body properly, as one hand is occupied. Also, there are only two power outlets per room (7 persons in the one I was staying in). Other than that, very okay place.

Showers on my floor were not functioning

• 6th Jul 2014

The atmosphere in the hostel is really good, the dorms are large and roomy. The breakfast gives a variety of choices, the common room is large and cosy. The bathrooms are in each floor, however they alternate between male and female and I was unlucky as I had to go one floor up or down to go to the toilet or shower. The facilities however are very good (the shower button has to be pressed every 5 second - a bit anoying but nothing horrible (= ). I'm definitely comming back.

We really ejoyed our stay and its definitively value for your money. First of all, the building itself is beautiful and located in the centrum so it is close to everywhere..Each eveninnig hostel organizes some programm for free. The night when we stayed was dinner night, I was expecting some store bought pizzas, fries etc, but we got delicious home made thai green curry!!! I was amazed. Thank you for lovely stay!

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

I think it's safe to say our host was just as surprised at how well that turned out as you were ;) Up and coming Hatters Masterchef, she is, who will be very pleased at reading your lovely review :)

Price and location are fine. But was really dirty (not cleaned over 3 consecutive days, toilet worst than public toilet)

Got a single room for my night before a flight, loved the room! On the 5th floor overlooking the city. The staff were amazing and extremely helpful!

• 29th Jun 2014

Only 3 of 10 men's showers where working. The 5th floor had no water , the 1st only trickled and 1 of the 4 on the 3rd floor was out of order. the TV in my room was broken and there was no light in the 5th floor toilets.

We did have an issue at the time you stayed with the water (we're building a bar downstairs and I'm terrible at technicalities but something that shouldn't have been unplugged, got unplugged) Most of these issues we can immediately help you out with, so please let us know at reception, we are here for you!!!!

Arrived from Malaga at 1am. Had to find my bunk in darkness so chose one. I got chucked out of bed at 4am. Apparently I choose the wrong bunk so the German lad took the one I had been sleepin, but defo went bump and grind on the mattress in anticipation of the local Manc poon I'd be smashing the following night, and I chose a fresh one. Would highly recommend but would probably bring a torch next time. ;)

Wow. What a charming review...we don't really know what else to say except that we do have light switches, for anyone who is reading this.

Friendly staff. helped use a toom to get changed for a wedding as i was too early for the late 2 pm check in. free tea and coffee always welcome. Breakfast just what i needed after a long triop from Suffolk and a late wedding

Thanks so much for leaving a review! We apologise for the louder-than-necessary guys at reception when you checked in, but hope you had a great day at the wedding :)

The hostel felt secure on entry as there was a buzzer so any unwanted visitors can be refused entry. As you walk in everything screams welcome! The common room which is on the left as you come in has a nice area for you to read a book or something if you want it. The room I stayed in was all female and accommodated around 10 people. I was happy about everything apart from some of the girls in my room who kept putting on and off the lights when I had a headache! Overall I was happy.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Thank you so much! Our key card access also ensures that you and your roommates will be the only people with permitted entry to the room, while our big strong night staff keep any trouble makers away ;)

Room was OK, but one male toilet lacked toilet paper and the other lacked soap and was generally filthy. There was a note that we should inform the staff if we found any troubles with the toilet. So I did. The girl at the reception said she will take care of it "later". I insisted, since I had to use the toilet. Eventually, I went to the girls' toilet, and by the time I checked out (next morning), there was still neither toilet paper nor soap. What a complacency. Why do they have that note then?

We'd like to apologise for what you experienced with the toilets - while everything usually runs smoothly, we ocassionally run into problems with late deliveries etc. which leaves us a little bit helpless! We do our best to offer you immediate assistance but again, on hectic mornings it's difficult to leave the desk, and we do have housekeepers in from 9 - 3 doing their best to make sure everything is stocked.

Great time, great vibe, great stay! I particularly enjoyed the pub crawl organised by the hostel! What a night!

Caitlin will come down every evening at around 6 and announce her concern that there might not be many people going on her bar crawl. She is always wrong, and it's always brilliant. See you soon for more shenanigans?

THE WORST EVER !!! Never been to such a dirty place. Elevator not working, mattress ok, IF YOU ARE A FAKIR !!! RUN AWAY !!!

Our elevator is over 100 years old so while we are happy to take your luggage up in it, we can't allow guests to use it I'm afraid! We won't chase you if you do run away, but we're sorry you felt this way.

Excellent hostel. Only improvment I could suggested it privacy curtains round the beds

Noted! We've got a few home improvements going on at the moment (let me take this opportunity to say that our bar will be up and running in a couple of months time yipee!) so we'll make sure that's on our list!

Good location, plenty of shops, food and beer close by. Good common area with pool table, couches and small kitchen. The room was fine, plenty of room even though there was 8 people. The showers and toilet were old but still worked fine. Had a good night on the pub crawl..

I've been to this hostel before and i have always loved it. but this time i was disappointed. the kitchen was closed or doesnt exist anymore!? toilets, showers and rooms need a makeover. staff is not unfriendly but not very forthcoming either. the activities are sparse. in the past this hostel was all about making the guests feel welcome. now its about asking for a lot of money while offering little. i dont think i'll be back:(

Hee-eeeey we do have a kitchen, and it's bigger and better!! You may have missed it as it's been moved to the first floor so we apologise if we forgot to mention this at check in! We have activities every single night except Sunday (this day is dedicated to Bar crawl hangovers). We're really sorry you didn't feel as welcome as before, we try our best and now we're sad :( Come back so we can make it up to you!!!!

The hostel facilities, location and staff were excellent but I just faced only 1 problem that is it's very noisy at night time due to vehicles movement outside the hostel. Rest everything is perfect.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • India

Hey and thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review :) We're sorry about the noise, just ask us at reception for earplugs if you need them!

Do not stay here. The staff are unfriendly and the conditions are absolutely horrible. Everything is run down and broken.

• 6th Jun 2014

Hey, we're really sorry you seemed to have a bad experience! It does help when our guests talk to us at the time, but if you feel strongly about what happened, please send us a direct email letting us know what went wrong! It's rare that we get our percentage ego so bruised, so we'd like to know what we could have changed to give you a better time!

Very nice hostel- friendly, enthusiastic staff, great location, fairly comfortable, and sufficient room for cooking, eating, and just chilling. Only suggestion: I stayed in the 18 person dorm, and the blinds didn't really do anything about shutting out the light, and therefore I was woken up every day at around 5 (or whenever the sun rises) because it was REALLY bright, and the same goes for trying to fall asleep. If possible, install heavier blinds, but it is a relatively small issue.

It is bright for the most part on the UK summer days so we will take that into consideration! We have recently purchased new blinds for a few of our rooms so hopefully 201 will get it's special treatment soon too! it was very nice to have you guys, hope you return soon :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5