Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Great location!Internet free WiFi just works on the ground floor and 1st floor, in this day and age it should be all throughout the hostel.

Really good location, really friendly staff. However really cold rooms. I do like to party hard, but I would also like to have a good night sleep.The walls are really really thin. Been on hostels all over the world, never seen anything like this.These group of guys in their 18's were yelling in their room at 6 am downstairs and a lot of people from our floor woke up. We stayed at the fifth floor - No elevator. They start to clean our room and beds 10.30 while we were still getting ready to leave

Good location. Have stayed there twice now but probably not again. Private room was old, old windows let the freezing air in, bed was squeaky and very old, shared bathrooms are dirty and old, water was only warm, service was good, close to Piccadily station and Northern quarter.

All was fine, but for the week-end I couldn't reserve a bed for one night on Saturday, I had to reserve for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) instead of only one that I needed . And obviously I slept there for just a night .

Location was great, only 5min walk from Piccadilly station, as well as many attractions & shops. The only real negatives were that the beds were really uncomfortable and the hot water didnt always work in the showers. Also more than 1 double powerpoint in an 8 bed roo would be nice

Great stay, will be going there again next time I visit Manchester :)

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Wales

the man who checked me muttered "photo id" no please, thanks or even hello! he seemed very amused by the tv. the man in the morning was much nicer though. I put my bag under the bed and when I took it out it was filthy. there was 1 working toilet upstairs that I found although someone had put a sign up saying that a clearly broken and blocked toilet was usable and it was our fault for not flushing it properly! and I'm pretty sure the bed had fleas!

Hi, thanks for you're comments. Sorry you had a bad journey with us. We will try to do much better next time. :(

Was a nice stay at the hatters! Awesome location (right in the northern quarter) and had a really nice time at the Christmas markets :) would stay again! I love Manchester. The only thing id say is there wasn't any towels left to hire at reception so I couldn't have a shower and rooms were cold compared to the main areas of the hostel.

What a lovely review, they should name a type of bread after you! Please do come back any time. Towels are available from reception generally, so we must apologise for the inconvenience of missing out this time.

Good location, clean and with a friendly staff

And our staff are clean too! I checked!

The staff were friendly enough, but not nearly so exuberant as all your advertising would have led me to believe. The toilets are also quite cold! Maybe close the windows in there at night? Overall, though, I was quite pleased! The location is easy to get to and very central, and it's a clean, secure, engaging place to stay.

• 9th Dec 2014

We're happy that you were happy with your stay overall. Indeed our staff are friendly, though their exuberance may often be expressed with supreme subtlety, such as sitting very still, tickling your feet while you sleep, committing acts of false advertising, and blink-and-you'll-miss-it warm British sarcasm.

Location is very good, right in the district where most bars and restaurants are. The beds were confortable and warm but some of the staff could be a lot friendlier. Even though the dorm is secured with an access card, the hostel should loan/rent/sell locks for the available lockers.

Any bar or restaurant worth their salt is located within 5 minutes walk of us, or if you don't feel like walking, we have a new bar, Hold Fast, in our basement with gourmet sandwiches and exclusive deals for Hatters guests. Lockers (free) are available on each floor and are monitored by CCTV, and locks are available from reception to rent or buy to keep those valuables safe.

Hatters was really good hostel! Staff was really friendly and helpfull. The room was clean and warm. Toilets&shower rooms were also clean. Common room was big and comfortable to stay, with working wifi for once. Free breakfast was nice surprise for me. Lockers were quite tiny but if you have bigger things you want to keep safe, they have a luggage room/you can leave more valuable things to reception.

All these things are true, if you were Pinocchio, no one would know because your nose would be regular sized. Glad you enjoyed your stay, please visit again soon!!

Surprisingly clean. The water in the showers was lukewarm and not a lot of pressure. The rooms could do with more plugs (only 6 for a 18 bedroom). Staff was friendly and helpful

Surprisingly clean, like a dogs tongue. But not my neighbour's dog. Keeping us up all night. Swearing at my cat. Where does he learn these words?

Area looks a little iffy and quiet at night but it was safe. Stayed for one night and there was a basic breakfast. Big community area which was nice and a lot of plugs to charge up the phone.

• 18th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Rest assured that the area we're in, The Northern Quarter, is a safe area. Unless you suffer from a condition in which all moving cars look like ducks. In which case you will be hit by lots of ducks. But that's not really location dependent. Glad you enjoyed your stay!!

Very few charging points and a lot of them hidden behind beds. Staff was very helpful.

Our staff are so helpful in fact that should you need to charge anything you can leave it with reception where we'd be happy to charge it for you. And don't forget you can find plenty o' points in our common rooms! And don't forget the 5th of November!

The guy on the front desk was really helpful and gave me all the directions I needed.

• 10th Nov 2014

Before he worked here, he was employed by a very rich woman to sit on the dashboard of her car all day directing her around town. He quit when he got tired of her poking him in the face. Otherwise, all our staff are more than happy to offer fantastic directions and suggestions of where to go around Manchester that suits your tastes.

Just the perfect place to stay and such good value. Very clean. Great location. Good staff. Amazing breakfast 100% would return any time.

Well you sure know how to make us blush, please do return any time!

Beds were uncomfortable, not enough power plugs. Poor value for money.

A lack of power will indeed make one uncomfortable. An unending infestation of ants in Rupert Murdoch's pants is where he sources his motivation from to this day. For our guests though, our common room is throbbing with more power outlets than you can poke a fork at.

Sometimes the water pressure was so low, that water was dropping from the tap and in the room you could hear loud buzzing noise of water pump, which was very annoying during the night

Water is flowing once again like the rivers of Babylon. There we sat down. Yeaaah we wept, When we remembered Zion. Such a great song. Sorry, where were we? Oh yes the water. We experienced a few hiccups during the construction bar, Holdfast, ironically an underwater themed venue. But all is good now, because we have a bar for drinking and water for hangovers!

The people in the next room were partying VERY LOUDLY way past 12. I went to upgrade my room, but the staff said that upgrades are allowed only before 11pm. I complained about the noise, but he bluntly said that such things happen in hostels. I have been staying in many hostels across Europe. This was one of the worst experiences. They were up till 5pm. I could get no sleep at all.

We do enforce a quiet policy after 11pm to ensure that all our guests get their sleep, so we apologise for any inconvenience encountered. On weekends we are the temporary home to some of the UKs finest revelers and sometimes if you can't beat 'em, you might a well join 'em

« first « Prev 1 2 3