Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Good location; it's easy to find it. The bed was not so comfortable and the heavy door always made noise even though I tried to close it quietly. I wish the toilette be clearner and the shower room warmer. It's, however, close to many places for drink/food, so if you can ignore the things I mentioned, it's worth it to stay here.

Very easy to find, especially with a giant blue tit painted on the side of the building by street artist Faunagraphic. Blue tit being the species of bird. Thanks for the recommendation, we definitely think it's worth it to stay here too!

lack of microwave was not a good thing. plus kitchen and specially some tables in common area were very dirty. other than that - it was okay. just a little bit cold in the bathroom

Our poor microwave, overlooked once again. To stave off the potential onset of an existential crises suffered by our microwave, you'll be able to find the microwave in our kitchen on the first floor. We do count on guests respecting other guests and cleaning up after themselves, but should you find any area in need of special attention, let our special staff know, and we'll give it the attention it craves.

Hatter's was great! I loved the organized events and the common spaces were very inviting and easy to hang out in. The beds were comfortable, the wifi was strong, and the showers were clean and the water was hot! (HUGE PLUS). The best part was the atmosphere and the staff though. I went on Caitlin's pub/club crawl two nights in a row and it was fantastic both times. She takes you to some of the best places in town with drink specials and great dancing (Canal street was awesome!)

We are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us! Sounds like you made the most of your stay in Manchester, which is just what we like to see! On a list of things we like to see, it's right up there with our reflection in the mirror and the sun.

Could do with the showers being put on a better stop valve, you only get about 8 seconds between having to press the button again.

• 19th Sep 2014

Cheers, for the feedback! Our showers are designed to be as environmentally friendly as possible, but they are due for a makeover, so a little tweaking could be in order.

nice hostel.... the hostel staff was pretty close minded but other than that... very comfortable stay.

Thanks for your feedback!! Glad you enjoyed your stay. Close mindedness is a new one, we'll look into that, as that's definitely something we don't wish to portray ourselves as.

Nice rooms, comfy beds! Common room was cool - computers, ping pong table, book exchange. Easy to meet people. Location was alright .. Wifi didn't work well in rooms! Breakfast included and coffee machine! Would stay here again

Thanks for your review!! We would be more than happy to have to back again!

The good things was that it is close to the city centre, the stuff was doing what they could, and all the other people who lived there were having some good time together. The bads... I was sleeping with my envelope with my passport and all of my documents, I had to lock my luggages in right next to reception while my room was on the 4th, no elevator of course, and i had to take a shower on 3rd or 5th floor, in a cold water, with the windows open!

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Greece

Thanks for your feedback. We're happy you found the staff, location, and social atmosphere to be, as the kids say, tight. We do provide lockers on every floor that are free to use with your own padlock (though we also rent/sell padlocks), and these are the perfect size to keep any and all valuables. You could even put one valuable item in each locker if you have enough padlocks, which would be a good experiment to see the psychological impact of solitary confinement on an iphone.

Great hostel and vibe and definitely a good value for money! The only thing disappointing was the waterpressure on the fifth floor. Due to the waterpressure both the toilets and showers were not usable. Not that bad running down two floors for a toilet visit but if you offer the facilities, they might as well work correctly ;-) Thanks.

• 11th Sep 2014

Thanks for the review!! We are very happy you enjoyed it here! Due to the construction of our fantastic new bar, water pressure was suffering, but a two birds one stone scenario will see the opening of our new bar coupled with uninterrupted water pressure.

Everything seemed fine. However when I was leaving they said I had paid 6 euros under what I should have paid. This made no sense as when I paid for my booking at the desk in the hatters hostel I paid by card and they took the amount that was owed. So when I was leaving they asked me for the extra money. I was tired and did not want extra stress for the day ahead which usually causes more problems later on in the journey. It was rude of them to ask me to pay for their error.

The hostel has special event every day. That's cool. On the date of my staying which was Tuesday, there was a free dinner and "American Pie 2" was played in the TV room. The only thing which was not so good was that the door of the dorm and door to the WC/shower room were too noisy, and the shower faucet was in press type which was annoying as that night was quite cold. However overall it was a pleasant stay over there. : )

We are pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay! Ah, Tuesday's food and cinema night, what a treat! Free (WHAT?!) activities we offer on other nights, run by our dedicated Hostel Host, Caitlin (shipped in from fun-loving Australia on a reverse convict scheme) include a Games night on Wednesdays, Civilized Northern Quarter bar crawl on Thursdays, a walking tour on Saturdays. And then there's bar crawls on Friday and Saturday nights if, like Depeche Mode, you just can't get enough!

We stayed here only for one night, but the hostel is amazing value for money. Right bang on in the city centre, close to everything. A few minutes from Manchester Piccadilly, ideal if going to the airport.

Thanks for the review guys! We pride ourselves on 3 things, our prices - the fairest in all the land; our location - on said land; and our speling! But seriously we keep track of the going rate in town to ensure our prices remain the most competitive, and we walked around in a circle several times, just like a dog would, before placing our building smack bang in the Northern Quarter, close to Manchester's best bars, train stations, shopping and the Football museum.

So so noisy, beds pretty uncomfy. Was supposed to stay in Manchester for a full day but left first thing as I was so tired from staying in this hostel. In need of updating and a good clean!

Sorry to hear that you had to leave so soon. Admittedly, being so central, noise will invariably creep through our walls without even asking, and we do like to see our guests enjoy themselves (with respect to our more sleep keen guests of course) in our common areas, so free earplugs are available at reception should the noise become noisy.

VERY DIRTY! It seems that you haven't cleaned this place for ages! TERRIBLE bed as well (very hard)! The staff was not polite with me as well. BAD INTERNET as well! I DO NOT recommend this place! (At least it was cheap!)

We're sorry to hear you didn't fully enjoy your experience at Hatters. If you ever find yourself here again (we are irresistible) please don't hesitate to let staff know of any inconveniences and we are happy to do our best to make your stay a comfortable one, our night guys sometimes even read bed time stories. Not to guests. Just to each other throughout the night.

As this was my first time staying in a hostel, I don't have much basis for comparison, but as first times go I was happy with my stay. Only thing I missed was outlets by all the beds (don't especially feel like leaving my phone or iPad next to a stranger's bed for the night, and most of the time they were in use by the people sleeping there, anyway).

We're thrilled that you chose to sleep with Hatters for your first time! Gladder still that you were happy with our performance, and are poised to be overjoyed should you come back for more! If in need of power outlets, our common areas are fully charged with power outlets to create an environment in which our wonderful guests can leave their gadgets to their own devices while they absorb each others wonderfulness!

Please please please fix the lift, I was on the fifth floor and dragging my case up and down those stairs was pure torture.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Oh no! We're sorry you had such a struggle! It's not that the lift is broken, but because it is over 100 years old, we can't have it insured for guest use. Next time, just come ask at reception, as staff can use the lift to take your bag up and down for you!!

That was awesome because there were so many other brony in your hostel, I hope I will be here next year

• 22nd Aug 2014

We love the Bronies! And we hope to have you all back next year as well!! :)

Well located hostel, comfortable beds. Only downturns: There are too few sockets and the lockers should be bigger and inside the dorms, not on the corridor.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We keep the lockers outside of the rooms in the corridors so that we can have CCTV surveillance on them at all times, so your things are extra secure! Thanks for your feedback, we hope to have you with us again! :)

Good place for a nights stay (or more, I only stayed one night). Very friendly staff and well organized set-up.

• 14th Aug 2014

Thanks, we liked you too! Come say hi again when you come back to Manchester!

The hostel seemed very dirty and noisy. Our room was alocated in the fifth floor and they didnt have elevator. The room was very small, without even one window that you could open fully and seemed very very old and dirty. At night a strange noise (maybe from the "broken" elevator) kept us asleep. The shared toilets werent on the same floor and I had to go one floor down to use the bathroom facilities. There was no security, everyone that knocked the door bell could entered the building.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Greece

We're sorry for all the dust and noise, but this is temporary, due to us building a fabulous new bar in the basement! We do have a lift to help you with your luggage, so the stairs aren't so much of a struggle. We also have CCTV surveillance and a voucher system, so only guests may enter after 11pm. We're an old building, and we do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible! Please just come to reception next time with any issues, and we'll do our best to solve them!

Hatters was in a really good location, the staff were all really nice and really helpful. The beds were comfortable and although the wifi was only available downstairs, it was reliable. Only real complaint was the fact that my dorm room smelt ridiculously bad but that probably had more to do with the occupants I imagine!

Thanks for the review! We're happy you found things and persons useful and helpful, as for the smells, well that's just one of the joys of hostel life isn't it, really, I mean, REALLY getting to know people.