Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

I found the night staff to be clueless most of the times. There were hardly any power sockets in my dorm. The toilets were below par.

We are working on installing more power points as we speak! It's a large building so might take a bit of time but we promise to fulfil your wishes! If you have any queries about the city or your stay at Hatters we encourage our guests to speak to reception from 7:30am - 11pm.

Nice place, worth the money. The cleanliness left a lot to be desired.. The toilets looked medieval. But a nice place after all, especially if you only use it to sleep

The toilets ARE pretty much medieval, and we love them! We plan to use better signage on how to use them though, not everyone understands the complex flushing system ;)

Great atmosphere and facilities. Short walk from main attractions and coach and train stations.

Our lovely guests create our brilliant atmosphere, so thank YOU, sir, thank you very much!

Stayed 1 night in a private room up on the 5th floor . This hostel has some serious maintenance issues. Here is a list of things that did not work: toilet in men bathroom , tap water in men bathroom , bed light (cord was cut off), TV , lift, juice machine. Next time I will stay in Travelodge or Premiere inn instead. Staff was helpful .

The fact that you say the toilet and taps didn't work in the men's bathrooms sounds like a pump had turned off somewhere in the building - this is easily fixed by the flick of a switch so if you ever have any issues just speak to our staff - we're pretty handy people :) Our lift does work, but it is uninsured for guests as it is very old, the poor thing!

excellent! ! that's the hostel you looking for

Lucky it's so easy to find ;)

Only a bit walk from shopping center and bus station, staffs were so friendly, room & bathroom were clean

Cheers for the review!!!

There is no arguing that the location of this property is great. However, as we arrived we were greated with grumpy staff who made it seem like checking us in was too much to ask. We went up to our room which was so dusty (i mean the black paint infact appeared white) and had single glazed windows that didn't fully shut (we were freezing)! Finally the breakfast wasn't worth having & bathroom & communal facilities were awful! This is the worst and most expensive hostel I've ever stayed in!

• 19th Jun 2015

We are so sorry that you didn't have a good stay with us here at Hatters - we do admit that in having such an old building it is so hard to keep tabs on the dust (it seems to reappear 5 minutes after a good sweep) but we will make sure to monitor it! The breakfast is free so if you are not a fan of cereal, toast or fruit then we are at least pleased to say that you aren't losing dollar by not having it!

Room and facilities where great, I also liked the light breakfast. the staff is friendly and helpfull

Thanks so much, we hope to see you again next time you're in Manchester, which in our opinion should be tomorrow.

We had a fantastic time! We were a group of 4 people and then were placed in a 10 bed dorm and then everyone else who arrived to stay in our room were great! Highly recommend doing the pub crawl with Eva and her friend Troy. Great way to meet people and mingle. The only bad thing is that the water pressure in the showers are horrible, but other than that we really enjoyed our experience. Wifi is a little temperamental but worked in the rooms, which was a plus.

Hooraay! We're so glad you had a good time! When there are a few people taking a shower at the same time the water can struggle to reach all our floors with it's maximum strength, but who needs to be clean, really. See you next time around ;)

The staff were pretty cool and the location seemed good. Close to the train station which is nice. It's an old building so of course it wasn't in perfect condition but it is what it is. They did a pretty good job of keeping it clean and wifi was really good. Lockers were a bit small and wouldn't fit a backpack but works for valuables.

The lockers are small so that you end up deciding to leave some of your things with us. You leave some of your things with us, partly because it is free, safe, and we are here 24/7, but mostly because everytime you realise you have forgotten your rum, boyfriend or charger in your bag, we get to rope you into a conversation.

Had a blast staying at the site. First of all it is really easy into get to from the train station. When we arrived it was super quick to sign in and the staff let us know to run upstairs as they were providing free supper that night. The staff was full of suggestions for things to do during the night and they were able to help us find where we had to go in the morning to get to our next bus. Would recommend this to anyone and would definitely stay here again.

We are so glad you had a good time! You must have come down on a good morning, our staff are so knowledgable on the best places to go out at night that they rarely remember their own way to work the next day.

Best hostel in Manchester (I have stayed in them all). Thanks you Eva for the awesome spaghetti- you have a chef of your hands! Had a great night and met lots of lovely people

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAH! She just walked in off the street one day and started feeding us - rumour has it she gets her spaghetti from the most bad ass spaghetti dealer that Piccadilly Gardens has to offer. Only on Tuesdays, though. Every other day she just eats alcohol.

Cool hostel in a great area of Manchester. The only negative comment I have is that my mattress and pillow were really uncomfortable & I woke up with a really sore neck and back.

Hello and thanks for leving a review! All our guests unfortunately have different preferences concerning comfort but in order to avoid disappointment we plan to invent hostel-approriate pillows and mattresses. They will work in the same way as an airplane life vest (pull the red cord, if you need more air blow into the mouthpeice etc.), except the mouthpeice will also be able to dispense tequila if you prefer it to oxygen.

I had a terrible weekend here. The room was very noisy as the windows were left open throughout the night. For this reason I had to get up and leave my room at 3am. The noise there was intolerable. I did not sleep for more than four hours during my stay. This greatly affected the quality of my weekend in Manchester - ruined it actually. The showers were constantly unreliable - hot then suddenly cold, etc. The showers even had hair in them - who wants to use a dirty shower? Not me.

the rooms are like prison cells & the toilets filthy, the 2 foreign men on the reception night shift were the main issue, they had horrendous rude unhelpful and even insulting attitudes to ALL of the customers - this was enough for us to never return disgusting customer service another male member of staff walked into our dorm and stripped & counted beds while me and my friend 2 females were there about to get ready & he didnt leave which we found invasive, bar downstairs is good but pricey

• 6th Jun 2015

Sort your elevator out. Hire completely new staff. Fix your prices.

Choose the YHA over this place, I have stayed at both! Beds were so uncomfortable I couldn't get any sleep. I ended up with scratches over my back because of the bwd springs coming through. Place was grotty, showers didn't work. It just needs a massive refurbish. Don't know how they can charge more than YHA for and equivilent 4 share dorm with no ensuite shower.

• 3rd Jun 2015

Wow, the last thing we want is for you guys to come out with scratches, we let our trained maintenance guy (Martin) that deals with stuff like this, know so I assure you that if you do book again in the same bed that problem wont exist! Also in regards to the shared bathrooms we have house keepers on every morning, and our 24 hr reception so if we do miss a spot please let us know. For next time we have our sister Hostel, Hatters on Hilton Chambers that provides rooms with en suites

A really nice and clean hostel and the staff is friendly the only bad thing is the shower is not really gd

Great location 2 minute walk to shopping centre and short walk to both bus and train station! Old building which meant a lot of dust and had very poor showers. Was a week day but I would have to say the atmosphere was quite dull!

There wasn't a hot water to take a shower!!!