Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Breakfast was until 10am but even when you wanted to have it 9.15am there was slightly nothing left. Electricity didn't work for one day and one day slightly no water came out of the showers.

• 18th Feb 2015

Sorry for any inconvenience during your stay. Our staff monitor the breakfast (and the hostel facilities in general) like the governemnt does it's citizens. But if we don't spot anything wrong, please don't hesitate to inform us and we will swoop in at dawn with heavily armed enforcements and confiscate your computers and refill the cereal/check malfunctioning electricity and showers!

Great hostel; Leighton and Coleman (Aaron and Cormack) #hostelheroes

We must apologise, Cormack and Aaron have since been fired....FIRED UP that is! for more shenanigans during our FREE nightly hostel activities!

Pros: great location, free breakfast, 11am checkout, good range of entertainment facilities. Cons: very old building, no lockers/storage in dorms, cold dorms, showers last literally 6 seconds with no control over temperature and usually dirty floors with blocked drains. Bring ear plugs!! It is very noisy outside.

Thanks for the review, we do love a good pros and cons list! Free nightly entertainment, with 11am checkout (including earplugs available at reception) and free brekkie sounds like just the way to spend a night in Manchester! Our old building is very much a throwback to the city's industrial prime, and the showers do take a bit of mastery, but help conserve the water during Manchester's extended dry spells.

very nice staff, always at your disposal :) thank you very much for your recommendations Inma&Harold

You are very welcome! Our staff are brimming with recommendations for all that's well and good in Manchester and all the fashion trends of Spring/Summer 15! Just come ask! Pzoww!

Very friendly and welcoming staff, great central location in a trendy quarter near to Piccadilly station, dorm room was comfortable and communal bathrooms/lockers plus free tea and coffee. If you are a light sleeper like me, I recommend ear plugs and eyemask on weekends for city noise/light.

We're so happy you've enjoyed your stay here, thanks for a lovely review! In exchange, can I offer you this lifeprotip: If you're having trouble getting your child to go to sleep, try eating their favourite food in front of them and trying on their clothes.

Close to the city centre. The bathrooms are old and the shower is separated from toilet.

Thanks for the feedback! Not only are we close to the city centre, we are in fact surrounded by it, knee deep, wading through piles and piles of city centre. On a similar note, we like to keep the showers and toilets separate so that our guests don't confuse the two!

Well situated, and everything you'd want in a hostel. Would use again.

Aw thanks, please do use us again for everything you want... in a hostel

Good staff. Aaron and Cormack are top blokes and are good to hang out with when everyone else has their nose in their laptops.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad that our host A. A. Ron and Cormac showed you a good time. Can you believe A. A. Ron almost gave it all in to become a priest? But we were having nun of that and got him in to restore faith to the travelers!

Keep it up with the pub crawl! That was one of the highlights of my stay. Overall, good hostel. Thanks for having me.

Will do! Glad you've enjoyed your time here! Our host A. A. Ron will be sure to see that our guests are enjoying themselves, making the most of this lovely city, and occasionally feeding you! He's been practicing with the pigeons in Piccadilly Gardens. Feeding the pigeons that is, not feeding them to you. But if you ever get the chance, his pigeon fajitas are ace.

Twin room was basic but an alright place to stay, in an excellent location right by all the best bars and restaurants in the Northern Quarter. Also less than 10 mins walk from the coach station. Walls were pretty thin so depending on who's in the next room you may not get much sleep. Male showers on the 5th floor weren't working when I was there but there were others. Not v. clean though! Recommended overall - for location mostly - but feels a little overpriced for the quality/cleanliness.

Thanks for your review and your balanced feedback! We aim to provide the best value beds in town, offering free breakfast, free wifi, a top location, a social atmosphere with nightly activities for as little as a tenner on some nights! If you feel there's anything more we can do for you to make the stay more memorable please do let the staff know! Also let us know when you enjoy things too, that's always nice!

When I checked in, I left one bag in the luggage room. I don't think it is enough asking if guests have a number to get access to the room. The receptionist should actually check that number with the bags the guests take and destroy them after the guest leaves. I was able to stay inside the luggage room for more than 5 minutes, organising my bag, I could have taken ANY bag, and in the end, I even left with the little paper. I feel like I could just go back tomorrow and take ANY bag.

Thanks for your feedback! We take our guests security seriously: we only allow entry to guests, reception is 24 hours, lockers and CCTV are throughout, and conduct ID checks and use vouchers that let us know you stay here. Our free luggage storage uses the ticketing system, CCTV, as well as staff remembering guests faces and item, and in my time here, not one bag has gone missing! If only we were in charge of tracking the luggage of the passengers on LOST then we could've avoided that whole saga

Hello When I have arrived at the hostel , the girl in the receptionist was very strict and unfriendly which is really bad for some one who was traveling and very tired and needs some rest. This is not professional in regards to customer service and hospitality The room was ok , but the a bit cold , and they don't clean it every day . I have stayed 5 days and they only cleaned once. There is no internet in the rooms , it is easy to add. The Toilets were not clean at all

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Yes we enjoyed our stay would stay there again.

Why thank you, please do return any time, we'd be happy to have you!

the water in the shower was luke warm. way too cold for january in manchester! they won't let you use the lift even if they have rooms on the 4th floor and you have heavy suitcases yet the lazy staff get to use them... breakfast is awful. they put you in rooms with nasty old people. like in there 50s. staff swear to you in spanish, thinking you don't understand

the hostel has a good location and you can get quickly to the centre. what I didn't like was that I was in a room with a guy who would talk to himself the whole time and when I asked to change room it was not possible, so I had a sleepless night since the other people in my room turned out to be very creepy, talking and giggling to themselves (I assumes they were homeless people due to their smell and weird behaviour). I felt very unsafe. All in all, the hostel offers free wifi, breakfast.

Thanks for your feedback! Guest safety is a priority so if at any time you ever feel unsafe in our hostel, please let staff know. We have security measures in place that include all guests requiring photo ID and a valid credit card, which your room mates would have had. So maybe they were just practicing for an upcoming rap battle they had. That's what I just tell myself when I encounter a weird room mate during my travels. Now me and one guy have a mixtape coming out!

Great location!Internet free WiFi just works on the ground floor and 1st floor, in this day and age it should be all throughout the hostel.

Thanks for the review! What we hope to do is get all our guests mixing and mingling in our common areas, and that's why you'll find there our free wifi, free tea and coffee, the comfiest seats and bangin choons. We hope that you were able to get done what you needed though. I personally like to use the internet to check bus times for cities I want to visit and then pretend I'm waiting for that bus #cheapholidayhacks

Really good location, really friendly staff. However really cold rooms. I do like to party hard, but I would also like to have a good night sleep.The walls are really really thin. Been on hostels all over the world, never seen anything like this.These group of guys in their 18's were yelling in their room at 6 am downstairs and a lot of people from our floor woke up. We stayed at the fifth floor - No elevator. They start to clean our room and beds 10.30 while we were still getting ready to leave

We must apologise for the inconvenience. Manchester did experience colder than usual weather recently yet our automated heating was on its own agenda. Robots these days eh? Back in my day they did what they were told! Happy you found the location and staff helpful! If you are ever staying with us again, don't hesitate to let our staff know of any noise complaints, because while we do welcome partiers, it's like I always say, 'I want aloud on the streets and asleep in the bed"

Good location. Have stayed there twice now but probably not again. Private room was old, old windows let the freezing air in, bed was squeaky and very old, shared bathrooms are dirty and old, water was only warm, service was good, close to Piccadily station and Northern quarter.

We are very sorry to hear this (there's no punctuation mark that adequately ends a sentence with the opposite intention of a '!' so hopefully this worded supplement will suffice) The building is an old one, that's for sure. Completed just two years after traveling was first invented, what the building now lacks in modernity we hope it can make up with character and atmosphere as it introduces you to England's best city!

All was fine, but for the week-end I couldn't reserve a bed for one night on Saturday, I had to reserve for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) instead of only one that I needed . And obviously I slept there for just a night .

As we get so busy on weekends, we have a 2 night minimum in place to handle the extra demand, so we understand the inconvenience if you're only looking to stay one night. But 2 nights is the perfect starting point for seeing all Manchester has to offer, like you could do exactly what you did on the first day all again on the second day but this time pretend you're from the future!

Location was great, only 5min walk from Piccadilly station, as well as many attractions & shops. The only real negatives were that the beds were really uncomfortable and the hot water didnt always work in the showers. Also more than 1 double powerpoint in an 8 bed roo would be nice

Thanks for the review! Two cars checked in the other day and were upset that everything was within walking distance. They must have vented their frustration by exercising on the beds! And that's why we don't condone sleeping in the same room as a running car