Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Nice, spacious, clean hostel at a great location in the heart of Manchester. Awesome friendly staff too! Shoutout to Caitlin who took us on the best pub crawl ever and a walking tour of the city the next day. Only negative was the showers which had poor pressure and weren't very hot even in the middle of the day

Oh deary deary me. We have had a few shower issues since work started on the bar downstairs, but once the building stops getting poked and prodded we should be okay!! On a better note, here's a big thank you on behalf of Caitlin :D Our activity nights are run every night and include THREE BARCRAWLS, so please prepare yourself prior to arrival.

Wi fi service barely covers from ground floor to second floor. One WC was broken (cannot flush). Lockers were all full and there were no padlocks to rent. Showers were new and clean. Staff was kind and smiling.

You're a lucky thang if you got any wi-fi at all on the second floor as it is only available on the ground and first floor. There shouldn't be any problems at all with our wi-fi so if there is we really need to be told - a solution is only a quick phone call away!

Loved the time i had at the hostel :) had a great time. The staff was very friendly :). The only thing that bothered me was the state of the toilets. Often there was no toilet paper.. And there were dirty, but i do understand that that really doesn't have to be the fault of the staff but rather the fault of some not good people.

• 15th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

Thank you, we're so glad you had a good time!!!! We're sorry about the toilets - it's the hardest to keep them in tip-top shape on the weekends, but it is our responsibility to keep the toilet paper stocked, so we'll take that comment on board and make sure we do it first thing! Our guests can be very messy, but are well behaved most of the time ;)

A good base for a stay in Manchester. It's not one of those hostels where you spend a lot of time socalising in the common areas, when I stayed there wasn't much of a vibe going on. Lockers were outside of the rooms, which didn't bother me, but may bother others. A good budget option.

Hmm...Wednesday night is usually quite quiet but we are definitely always witnessing some sort of hype. It sounds like you may have missed the bar crawl that was held the second night you were here which is a shame, but we'll keep goin' strong, so come back and join in!!!

All v.good and everything in walking distance. But, only one But: shared toailets might be on every floor

Heya, thanks! Our hostel is close to pretty much everything - the only time you would need to take a tram or a bus is to see the stadiums, and that's pretty cheap in itself anyway :) Thanks for the review - we will keep in mind to try harder when we are floor/gender allocating!

The showers are horrible - they are in the basement and there aren't any hot water (at least at night). You have to continuously push a button in order to get water so is virtually impossible to wash your body properly, as one hand is occupied. Also, there are only two power outlets per room (7 persons in the one I was staying in). Other than that, very okay place.

If you did in fact find yourself in our basement you would have been confronted with the foundations of our new bar....we're all pretty comfortable with a bit of dirt under our fingernails but we don't shower with concrete and rubble ;) You do need to push a button to keep the water running but you don't have to keep your finger on it, your other hand is still very much free to roam. We hope other than this you made some good friends and enjoyed the atmosphere!

Showers on my floor were not functioning

• 6th Jul 2014

The atmosphere in the hostel is really good, the dorms are large and roomy. The breakfast gives a variety of choices, the common room is large and cosy. The bathrooms are in each floor, however they alternate between male and female and I was unlucky as I had to go one floor up or down to go to the toilet or shower. The facilities however are very good (the shower button has to be pressed every 5 second - a bit anoying but nothing horrible (= ). I'm definitely comming back.

Hello and thank you!!! Our breakfast consists of toast, cereal, yoghurt, juice, plus tea and coffee galore and costs nothing!! We do try to allocate people to the appropriate floors depending on their gender but it's sometimes difficult when we have big groups of people. We understand traveler's exhaustion though so if you want to swap floors just ask and we'll see what we can do :)

We really ejoyed our stay and its definitively value for your money. First of all, the building itself is beautiful and located in the centrum so it is close to everywhere..Each eveninnig hostel organizes some programm for free. The night when we stayed was dinner night, I was expecting some store bought pizzas, fries etc, but we got delicious home made thai green curry!!! I was amazed. Thank you for lovely stay!

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

I think it's safe to say our host was just as surprised at how well that turned out as you were ;) Up and coming Hatters Masterchef, she is, who will be very pleased at reading your lovely review :)

Price and location are fine. But was really dirty (not cleaned over 3 consecutive days, toilet worst than public toilet)

Unless our housekeepers are skiving in the skip, we're pretty sure they're here cleaning everyday! There may however have been a period of three days where the same people were staying over, in which case we do room checks, but also rely on guests to keep their things tidy. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and hope we can impress you more next time!

Got a single room for my night before a flight, loved the room! On the 5th floor overlooking the city. The staff were amazing and extremely helpful!

• 29th Jun 2014

Thanks so much! You're right, the view from that room is actually the only silver lining when we need to go up there to get sleepy checker outers out of bed ;) We hope you had a good flight!!

Only 3 of 10 men's showers where working. The 5th floor had no water , the 1st only trickled and 1 of the 4 on the 3rd floor was out of order. the TV in my room was broken and there was no light in the 5th floor toilets.

We did have an issue at the time you stayed with the water (we're building a bar downstairs and I'm terrible at technicalities but something that shouldn't have been unplugged, got unplugged) Most of these issues we can immediately help you out with, so please let us know at reception, we are here for you!!!!

Arrived from Malaga at 1am. Had to find my bunk in darkness so chose one. I got chucked out of bed at 4am. Apparently I choose the wrong bunk so the German lad took the one I had been sleepin, but defo went bump and grind on the mattress in anticipation of the local Manc poon I'd be smashing the following night, and I chose a fresh one. Would highly recommend but would probably bring a torch next time. ;)

Wow. What a charming review...we don't really know what else to say except that we do have light switches, for anyone who is reading this.

I was very pleased with the hostel. I stayed here for four nights and even though I had the money to go out I stayed in every night and watched the football (World Cup!). Overall the atmosphere was the best thing about this place and it was located right at the heart of Manchester

Friendly staff. helped use a toom to get changed for a wedding as i was too early for the late 2 pm check in. free tea and coffee always welcome. Breakfast just what i needed after a long triop from Suffolk and a late wedding

Thanks so much for leaving a review! We apologise for the louder-than-necessary guys at reception when you checked in, but hope you had a great day at the wedding :)

The hostel felt secure on entry as there was a buzzer so any unwanted visitors can be refused entry. As you walk in everything screams welcome! The common room which is on the left as you come in has a nice area for you to read a book or something if you want it. The room I stayed in was all female and accommodated around 10 people. I was happy about everything apart from some of the girls in my room who kept putting on and off the lights when I had a headache! Overall I was happy.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Thank you so much! Our key card access also ensures that you and your roommates will be the only people with permitted entry to the room, while our big strong night staff keep any trouble makers away ;)

Room was OK, but one male toilet lacked toilet paper and the other lacked soap and was generally filthy. There was a note that we should inform the staff if we found any troubles with the toilet. So I did. The girl at the reception said she will take care of it "later". I insisted, since I had to use the toilet. Eventually, I went to the girls' toilet, and by the time I checked out (next morning), there was still neither toilet paper nor soap. What a complacency. Why do they have that note then?

We'd like to apologise for what you experienced with the toilets - while everything usually runs smoothly, we ocassionally run into problems with late deliveries etc. which leaves us a little bit helpless! We do our best to offer you immediate assistance but again, on hectic mornings it's difficult to leave the desk, and we do have housekeepers in from 9 - 3 doing their best to make sure everything is stocked.

Some rooms are better than others. Sadly the lift needs to be fixed to help those who can not easily cope with stairs to get to the upper floors. There are four floors in total.

• 20th Jun 2014

Great time, great vibe, great stay! I particularly enjoyed the pub crawl organised by the hostel! What a night!

Caitlin will come down every evening at around 6 and announce her concern that there might not be many people going on her bar crawl. She is always wrong, and it's always brilliant. See you soon for more shenanigans?

Location was good, close to the trains and trams. The hostel is very large but appeared well organised. The included breakfast - cereal, toast coffee/tea,and sometimes fruit, was standard issue but still pretty good. The bathrooms were fairly clean. Security was fairly good with buzz in 24 hours a day and key cards for the dorm doors. However the lockers were outside the room which is inconvenient and someone tampered with my lock but didn't get in. The pub crawl was great :)