Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

No free lockers to put your stuff whilst away from the bed

We've spent a day in Manchester and we got there really early. The staff was friendly and great. The hostel is actually a chain of hostels so the charm goes away a little bit especially if you stayed in other places called the same :) Overall it was totally worth the money. Cons: 35% Cold in the room :) but thats the UK

Yay thank you very much!! We do have other Hatters Hostels.........but only three! Not quite Starbucksy yet! You can leave this review again when our plan to take over the world succeeds ;)

be careful when booking a room for two people, there was a very load boiler (pipe) noise sounding constantly in our room, we ask to be moved some where else.

• 19th Dec 2013

Hatters at Hilton Chambers is our sister hostel 2 minutes walk from Hatters, and with more of a hotel feel, our rooms cost a few pounds more. We moved you to this hostel and gave you a private, triple room for the same price, and made sure with you that everything was now okay. We are sorry that you still only felt us worthy of 50%, as we really did the best we could to rectify the situation.

Nice hostel to stay the night, not much to do though. Close to the Victoria Train Station and is in a walking distance from points of interest like Westminster.

Considering that there is no such thing as Westminster near us, and that there is an absolutely brilliant variety of things to do in Manchester....I'm going to assume this review does not belong to us ;)

Overall the hostel is great. Good staff, good atmosphere, cool look and style and the kitchen made available for cooking is certainly a plus. However, although there were signs spread around encouraging the guests to warn the staff whenever something was dirty, the place was not clean enough. I felt that the other guests were not neat and were always dirtying up the place. So I would suggest arranging things in a way that either make guests really do what they are supposed to do.

Taken into account....this would be extremely convenient for us too :p maybe we could set up a parenting school?

Not too far from the station which is perfect...there are shorter routes than following the main road but best to discover during the day. A great hostel to stay in...only negative is that the 10 bed female dorm I stayed in had 2 double power points!!! Staff were friendly and most importantly it was very clean for such a big hostel! Thanks hatters :)

• 6th Dec 2013

Thank you!! We do have extra power points in our common areas, but we understand that it can be frustrating when you want to charge your phone while you're sleeping etc., so we will look into that! Annnd a round of applause for our hard working housekeeping team!!!

Great location and vibe. Definitely worh staying for a central location and good vibe.

Can everyone see this? We got good vibe twice. This place is awesome.

Not only could you not control the temperature in the shower, the water only lasts for 10 seconds so you must hold down the faucet to get water. You have to pay in order to access WiFi in the room. Cleaning lady chased me around to do dishes although I'd ensured her numerous times I would get to it after I was done my meal. When I asked whether it would be possible to buy a rail card the same day, one reception staff told me to "go find out for myself at the station".

I have to say that is a little out of character for our housekeepers... maybe she thought it was a game? While we may suggest that the station has more information on different railcards for different times, places etc., I am sure we did not mean it in a harsh way - a case of miscommunication perhaps?! Either way we are sorry you felt that way and hope we can change your mind if you decide to stay again :)

I was on top floor. it was November and the room was very cold. Drafts where coming in at the windows. Experience was good apart from this!!

• 4th Dec 2013

All in all a very good hostel.

All in all a fabulous review!

Staff were very accommodating, location was brilliant, wanted to stay longer, not a problem. Overall, extremely happy with stay

Thank you so much!!! We do our best to help you guys out, and the Northern Quarter where we're located is AWE-some. Come back soon dahling :)

Showers cold and last only 20 seconds or so (per button press). Additional wall sockets in each room by the beds (for phones and cameras) would be good Window wouldn't close in our room

While our hot water system is in good working condition, the temperature tends to struggle a bit on mornings where everyone is trying to get a shower at the same time, apologies for that!! if you get unclosable windows etc., please come down to reception so we can give you a hand or get our maintenance fella to sort it out!

Was just here for an overnight stop before an early morning train, so didn't get to experience much. A nice place, had all we needed.

• 28th Nov 2013

Was only here for one night, good breakfast, free wifi, kitchen facilities, big common room

We gots all you need!

i really enjoyed the hostell , but please work on your staff the russian guy at night , he need to work on his behavior especially when i am arriving at night , in general i had good time thank you for the girls at desk that were very nicely. best regards aviran chen

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • Israel

Gosh, our night guy is usually the sweetest guy you could ever wish to meet! He must have been having a bad night, just a one-off I'm sure............................... We're glad you appreciated everyone else's manners though and that you had a good time :D Come back soon!

Hostel was really welcoming, nice open happy vibrant reception, great location close enough to walk to northern quarter. We did get told off for playing loud music at around 10pm (it was very loud). The showers were lovely on the friday evening but luke warm both sat and sunday mornings. I would recommend and i would stay there again.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We generally ask that guests keep it down after 11pm, but if it was very loud we may have intervened so that people could listen to other music if they wanted to :) We only allow EXTREMELY loud music if it's the Grease soundtrack, in particular the song 'Hopelessly Devoted To You'.

Showers activate on a tap which must be held in to keep going. The timer of this could be just a little bit longer! I could barely get washed in time. My only complaint.

• 20th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Oh dear, this does seem to get on peoples nerves but it saves water! Plus if you develop the knack of just leaning back when it needs pressing its quite simple really! I tried to come up with shower related lyrics to the song Lean Back, but I couldn't. Your turn.

The beds might not have been the most comfortable ones that I've slept on and the button in the showers needs to be pushed every ten(!) seconds. Add a night warden (Bruno) who was as obstinate as a mule to that and you'll still find me recommending this hostel to everyone who intends to spend a couple of days in Manchester. The common areas are well equipped and are great places to hang out in and to meet people. And Natalia was the best hostess I could have wished for. Thanks a lot guys!

Haha, our beds make you a stronger, more learned individual, the shower saves the world that little bit of water, and Bruno....... is a character? A self-willed and determined character, let's leave it at that ;) We're glad you had such an awesome time, and here's to all our guests who can see the brighter side of life :D

Friendly informative guy at the desk.

• 9th Nov 2013

Cheers for the review, we'll help you guys out as much as we can :)

Toilets need to be cleaned regularly, sanitary bins need to be emptied. bedroom doors can only be locked by slamming shut, so keeps people awake at night and in the morning, just sort this out!

Like most doors, we find that if you hold the handle down and give it a little pull it tends to shut discreetly, our old building just needs a little patience :) As for cleanliness, we do have housekeeping staff that tend to the toilets every morning and afternoon, however when it's just reception staff on it's hard to chase after our guests and make sure they're being respectfully hygienic!