Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

I chose randomly as I had a layover flight, but it was a nice fit. The staff was friendly, they had a chill atmosphere, very clean hostel. I was able to leave my luggage during the next day while I walked around town waiting for my flight--great location for sightseeing. My room happened to be right next to the bathroom, wherein every shower/flush of the toilet was followed by loud pipes groaning, however--invest in earplugs and you'll be fine!

Hatters hostels is a great idea. You should replicate it in other major towns in the UK and other parts of the world. Keep it up.

• 8th Nov 2015
  • Kenya

Thanks! Sounds like you enjoyed your time in Manchester. Be sure to visit our other Hatters hostels in Liverpool and Birmingham! Warm regards, The Hatters Team

The social atmosphere of this hostel are great! The bathrooms are a severe drawback though. The shower facilities are button operated and don't even run for 30 seconds and it's only scolding hot water until the boiler runs out! SCOLDING I like hot showers, these would boil your skin off. I don't know how regularly they clean but at the time the showers were pretty gross. The inclusion of the old faucets is completely impractical (I don't know why England carries on this terrible design flaw...)

Old buildings certainly have their drawbacks, but it sounds like you enjoyed your time here overall and we're thrilled to hear that. Come back any time! Warmly, Hatters Team

The morning staff were friendly and excellent with directions, the breakfast was good and was constantly being restocked and the kitchen staff (didn't catch her name) was super nice and filled my water bottle :) Room was quiet and facilities were clean. Would definitely stay here again if I find myself in the area in the future.

Sounds like you had a great time with us, we're thrilled to hear that! Hope to see you again soon :) Warm regards, The Hatters Team

Over priced for what it was. Expensive compared to other hostels like this.

• 3rd Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

Sorry that you found our prices to be high, we hope you enjoyed your time in Manchester regardless. Kindly, The Hatters Team

The room was very dirty, very loud, and there wasn't courtains on the windows, so it was very clear to. And the worst was the staff, because they are very rude and disrespectful. I'll never go back to that place.

• 3rd Nov 2015

We're very sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience here, we hope that you were able to enjoy your time in Manchester regardless. Kindly, The Hatters Team

The Kitchen was dirty and there was a lack of plates and utensils. The rooms lacked any facilities, and they were bland. It would be nice if there little baskets for your stuff hanging from the bed, little lockers in the room and maybe shelves to put your stuff, there was a wardrobe, but nothing could put in it.

• 31st Oct 2015

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us, we hope that you were still able to have a good time in Manchester regardless. Kindly, The Hatters Team

Good beds and good air flow in the rooms. Showers were okay but often just cold water. Very nice tv room with comfy couches and movies. Kitchen needs work, it has 2 spoons and no can opener. The staff were split, the women I interacted with were quite lovely and tried to help as much as possible. Guys were impatient and rude for the most part. Especially the long blonde haired guy. Don't work in a hostel if you don't like people. 2 people in my dorm said you were rude. Wifi was great.

Thanks for your kind words and feedback! We're glad that you enjoyed your time here. As somebody who often has to do the washing up in the kitchen, I can assure you that there are more than two spoons and a can opener available ;) Hope to see you again the next time you're in Manchester. Kindly, The Hatters Team

Very average hostel. Showers were push button. Couldnt adjusy the temperature which was always cold. Not very clean either. Do yourself a favour and don't look at the mattress or blanket. I accidentally spilled water on them. My once white sheets turned brown. Also all the cooking utensils were very dirty. I chose to eat out then use the kitchen.

Thanks for your feedback, hope you enjoyed your time in Manchester! Kindly, The Hatters Team

Location Perfect! Security Perfect! Beds normal! Not Much Power Sockets in The Rooms! Bathrooms Very BAD!

Thanks for your feedback! We hope you enjoyed your time in Manchester :) Warm regards, Hatters Team

Great value, however I think this place needs to add some employees. I saw the employee seems overwhelmed at some moment. One more thing, in my first night I found out that the flush water in the men's toilet unavailable and a little bit gross. Although the next day it seems it's already fix

• 27th Oct 2015
  • Indonesia
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Thanks for your feedback! Hope you enjoyed your time in Manchester. Warm regards, The Hatters Team

Not too bad. Big communal areas, lots of facilities. It was cleaned often, always dirty by the end of the day but that's from the people staying there, glad it was cleaned often. Very expensive on the weekends. I would stay at again.

Thanks for your feedback! We'll see you next time ;) Warm regards, The Hatters Team

Stuffs are so polite and ready to provide everything you need , atmosphere is really cool , totally modern. Only thing might be negative is that room quite smell bad , they should use automatic spray or something like that in order to keep room's air fine.

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Manchester - come back any time! Warm regards, The Hatters Team

Cold showers and very very noizy hostel the location is great but the windows aren't soundproof and both streets have lots of traffic), a few small lockers only for the floor, no escalator, beds really cheap (I had the impression to sleep on the springs). Very old toilets which smells terrible. But the bar under it is very nice, the neibourghood is good and the parking is just nearby

• 25th Oct 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Everything has been quite great. The only issue a had was that I couldn't have a hot shower not even once.

• 25th Oct 2015
  • Spain

Pros: - good location - free breakfast -decent common rooms - fully equipped kitchen Cons: The showers were absolutely horrendous. They oscillated from scalding hot to freezing cold regardless of what time/day you took one, and if you get a consistent luke warm stream you should consider yourself lucky. Judging by other reviews it seems to be an ongoing problem so I was surprised it hasn't been fixed yet. Also every single board game downstairs has essential pieces missing and is unplayable.

the location is great and the rooms are acceptable but there is a lot of street noise and pretty basic facilities. the price does not reflect the standard of this hostel

Hostel is well located, but it needed to be better cleaned. The old building do not help to maintain a good cleaning. I recommend as the staff, location and price is unbeatable.

The rooms where very dirty, there where clumps of hair and dust everywhere in the room I was in. The trash cans in the female toilets where overflowing.

Let me start with saying this hostel has an unbelievable atmosphere. Being a solo traveller, other hostels have been hard to meet people at. Hatters has daily activities that make it easy to meet tons of people, plus the large common room is great for relaxing and introducing yourself to others. The rooms were ok, uncomfortable, cramped beds and my roommates were loud. The washrooms are old and outdated, but the showers were always nice and clean with warm water. Definitely would recommend !