Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Apart from not having toilet paper in the toilet and lukewarm water was coming from the shower it was a relatively pleasant stay. Breakfast loaded with simple carbohydrates is not necessarily the way to start your day, but it is not the Ritz anyway. The building is a bit old and the kitchens are shoddy. The loos are with sinks that were forgotten there from the victorian ages. All the place doesn't worth more than 10 pounds for a night even in the weekends.

Great location and very safe. The bar downstairs is amazing and full of locals.. That's where the positives end. The main guy at the front desk Nick..unpleasant and unfriendly. You are working at a hostel not a mortuary. You are competent no doubt but If you hate your job change. So important to be friendly as you set the mood for people's stay. Atmosphere at this hostel is horrible. Showers luke warm. Rooms muggy. Curtains don't work. Lockers not in rooms. Won't stay again.

Very nice staff, perfect location and a lot of oppertunities to meet new people. I loved my stay in this hostel.

Robs the man. Good bar in the hostel and good people staying,

more information about things to do in manchester

When I got to the hostel, the receptionist couldn't find my booking. They told me that I had booked for the night before, and cancelled my booking, which I did not do at all. Luckily I had confirmation on my e-mail for the correct date and they had spare beds available. There seems to be some confusion with the system. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm which was basic. The beds were OK to sleep in for one night. The showers had frosted glass doors so you had to undress in the shower.

• 23rd May 2015

The staff were more interested in chatting up the girls then answer questions. Toilets and bathrooms were very dirty.

Great hotel with a friendly vibe.

Staff were awesome, a great thing for my first hostel ever. Everyone was very friendly there and it was a warm atmosphere. Luggage was brought up for you but had to travel up 5 flights of stairs every trip in and out of hostel or to common room. Didn't bother me. Free breakfast was cereal, muesli, toast, orange juice, tea and coffee. A lot of car horns and sirens all night long especially on Saturday night even on 5th floor. Heating worked really well, never needed a jumper. Would stay again :)

The staff were friendly and helpful, good facilities i.e. toilets, kitchen, tv room. Located right amongst the city! Would recommend hatters to anyone.

its okay for a few nights. rooms are decent (floor is a bit dusty but no big deal). showers are a bit annoying but the button lasts around a minute and you can just hold it down. no lockers in the room, which is a big deal. my backpack was too large for going up and down from the luggage room downstairs so i chained it to my bed and a guest stole my lock in the early morning when i left it unlocked as i slept. the staff are super friendly though and helped me with everything i needed.

This was my 2nd hostel stay, overall I was very happy with my experience! The staff were very friendly and welcoming! The hostel was super close to the city centre and an express supermarket which made things handy! The only downside is there is no recycling for your rubbish - everything goes in the same bin, hopefully they look into this so they can do their bit for the environment! Other than that, a very pleasant stay!

Was very impressed overall. Only small problem I had was with the hot water in the showers, it often only lasted for a min or less, but would stay again. Cheers.

Kitchen was small but provided the essentials. Large common space, plus a tv room for relaxing. Staff were okay but I felt they were happier talking to each other than the guests. Bed was okay, toilets were a bit grimy and the bathrooms overall looked quite old and cracking in some places. Great location. The showers have a partially glazed door, you have to get changed out in the open. Just a button you have to keep pushing, no temperature settings. I really liked the sofas. So comfy!

The hostel was very easy to get to and have 24 hour reception which is great, as I got in quite late. It was kind of hard to sleep because there is a lot going on in the street, especially since the hostel has a club. All the noise came in through the walls and windows. The door to the dorm was impossible not to slam so everytime anyone was in or out it was quite loud. I stayed in a 10 person all girls dorm which I think was the best option because the girls themselves were quiet.

Really good hostel, pub crawl is well worth the money!!! Good brekkie, could do with curtains in the dorms. Overall a good hostel, would recommend!

It was quite cold the first night, but the atmosphere is great

Great staff and facilities in heart Manchester. We really enjoyed our stay, thank you.

• 29th Apr 2015

Cheap and cheerful, definetly need to invest in the bathrooms and better windows. Staff were friendly

found the staff very understanding of my problem of no debit card accepted a room cash deposit would definitely stay again

• 22nd Apr 2015