Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Great receptionist, really helpful and friendly. The room and bed were fine, although I had the bed right by the door which meant it was a very noisy night! As the room wasn't fully booked, I'm not sure why I was given this bed and not a quieter one. The showers were great, water temperature was perfect. Thanks for the free breakfast too, although would be even better if you had peanut butter ;) Directions were great, found it very easily. Thanks!

Hey!!! Thank you so much for leaving a review - when our bookings come through they are automatically allocated, but next time you book just put in a request and we'll go scope out the room to get ya what ya need! Peanut butter is an absolutely fabulous idea, you should be hired as our hostel cuisine director I reckon haha. SEE YOU SOON!!

That blond girl from the staff was fabulous :)

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Poland

Haha thanks guys!!! But there's two blonds - we're going to have to have a ho-down. All the best in Manchester and we hope you had a FABULOUS time with us (of course you did).

We booked a night in a twin bedroom for one night at the Hatters Hostel on Newton Street. When arriving there, the staff at the reception could not find our reservation. It turned out, that the hostel had moved our reservation to the Hatters on Hilton Street. It would have been nice if we were informed about this beforehand. The hostel on Hilton Street was nice, it could have been cleaner though. The breakfast was simple, but good and the location was great, too. The staff was helpful and nice.

This happens very rarely (we promise) and we must have had a very hectic weekend for an overbooking to occur! We take all measures possible here at reception to make sure all communications are passed on but somewhere along the line something must have been missed! Inexcusable but we appreciate you bringing our attention to it, and truly apologise for the inconvenience!

great hostel. had a great stay. excellent staff. thank you Amethyst, nice to have someone so warm and welcoming on reception.

the wifi in the common room is not strong enough. i understand no wifi in the bedroom but even the common room....it seems force us to buy wifi there. wifi is a common thing in every single hostel now.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Hong Kong

Heya, this really shouldn't be happening so please let us know if you are having trouble! When there are lots and lots of people using the wi-fi it can panic a little under the stress but a quick call to our technical team can calm it down again. We understand the importance of budgeting - we don't want to force you to buy anything!

I had a very fun stay here! It was a great place to meet people, especially with one of the staff Pablo who showed us some fun places to go out and have a fun friday night :) Thanks Pablo!

• 24th Mar 2014

Stayed when man united played man city, so it was very expensive for us but that was bad luck (because we aren't into football). Although bedrooms were good, kitchen facilities were poor - no tea towels so things were always wet, a lack of cutlery and few pots and no pot lids. Also shower doors are completely see through! Events were fun (movie night, and pasta - thanks Pablo). Breakfast was run out by 9am so late risers miss out.

Staff were nice but the whole place was dusty and grimy its too bad because there are so well position right downtown.

This makes us sad, we are very sorry! The building is very old and in regards to cleaning, very inconveniently shaped meaning there may be nooks and crannies that we can't get to but we try our best!! Our manager has an eagle eye for dirt so we rarely get away with slacking but if you notice anything particularly yucky we won't get insulted for being told!

Great location right in the city centre. The room was correct, bed was nice enough and hostel facilities are good. Continental breakfast was superfb and free. On the negative side, bathrooms are old and often very cold, although they were quite clean. Special and very positive mention to the staff and volunteers, they were really friendly, the activities were nice (that movie projection!) and the guys created a great atmosphere during my stay. PS: someone stole my shower gel in toilet...

• 16th Mar 2014
  • Spain

Hello again and thank you for the review! We have activities every single night at the hostel which are all free and all fabulous :D We're sorry about the cold in the bathrooms, they are 'authentic' and can get cold, we're waiting for the summer to roll on!!!

I love The Hatters, when in Manchester, I always stay in one of them. This one having been my first choice years ago, I tend to pick a place here. I also saw some kind faces known to me from previous occasions, which felt real good. What made me a bit sad was the fact that they omitted one of the specialties of Hatters: the availability of toasties 24 hours a day. It felt so good to feel safe. I also must complain about no yogurt nor fruit the second morning, I counted on them for my diet...

Well whatd'ya know, we love you too!!! It is heart warming to hear that you were welcomed back by familiar faces, we love to feel like home to you all! We're sorry about the lack of fruit and yogurt, it may have been a case of a late delivery which is frustrating for us too, but in some cases we have gotten tied up on the desk and not been able to come out and restock, so please ask us if this ever happens :) See you again soon!

Great place to stay - Center City. lovely staff and nice rooms

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review :)

Very enjoyable Hostel, the staff was very helpful and they offer great activities to meet new people and discover Manchesters nightlife.

• 11th Mar 2014

Hi! Thanks so much for leaving a review and letting everyone else know how WONDERFUL Hatters is!!!!! Our common room is a prime spot for spontaneous rendezvouzing and we'll help you to explore Manchester as best we can. PS. We have some mail for you ;)

Satisfied as always whenever stays here.

Great location and a reasonably well maintained hostel. Price seemed a little steep for what you pay for. But overall I would recommend.

• 8th Mar 2014

We keep ourselves as well maintained as possible, in fact we just got a shiny new green paint job and are looking SLICK, if we do say so ourselves. Unfortunately at some times of the year for example football games etc we do raise our prices but we make up for it with our PASSION.

My room was clean and the reception staff were very helpful

We are beaming, absolutely beaming!

I stayed here for 2 weeks and enjoyed every minute. The staff were very friendly and helpful, hostel was kept rather clean, free breakfast was very good, game facilities available including a pool table, prime location, rooms were fully heated, awesome relaxing atmosphere and met people from all around the world. I would recommend this Hostel to all my friends and I would stay there again and again

• 1st Mar 2014

AWWW HONEYBUNCH!!!!! Thanks for leaving us a detailed review so everyone knows what's up - we like all our guests to feel like they're in rainbow town. DO recommend us to all your mates, bring the whole lot over ;)

Very nice hostel. You should have free internet in the bedrooms.

And risk never, ever seeing another soul again, EVER? No.

the good great location nice music and chillout area staff are helpful the bad terrible showers (cant change heat settings and weak) dusty, especially under the bed, could use a proper vacume too many "DO NOT DO..." this and that signs everywhere! kinda off putting

Thanks for the compliments on the music, our manager needs to be careful that we all don't set off to become DJ's, no?! Unfortunately during busy times when everyone is taking showers it can be a bit too much pressure for our pipes, but we will look into improving that!! Concerning our signs...people STILL misbehave sometimes (often), so we hate to imagine the chaos if we didn't have them up!

Very nice hostel that is located perfectly for exploring Manchester. Just about 5 minutes away from Manchester Piccadilly. The staff is helpful and friendly and the rooms (at least mine; mixed 4 dorm) were clean and spacious. The hostel itself also was clean and in good condition. I have already been to the Hatter-hostels in Birmingham and Liverpool and again I was not disappointed by the hostel. WIFI is only available in the common room. Breakfast is okay.

Thanks!!!! We're so glad you hit all our hostels and enjoyed yourself - we hope you took advantage of the 10% discount that you receive off our hostels when you book directly with us!!!

Great facilities and atmosphere. Great location as well. Totally recommend it!

100%! Thas wut am talkin abou'. Thanks so much for the review, glad to hear you were happy with everything - although how could you not be with free tea and coffee and such brilliant guests to keep you company :p