Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

I really enjoyed staying at Hatters. The srwff was great, the room was nice, facilities clean. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 28th Apr 2014

Access to sockets in the rooms near each bed would be appreciated, or at the very least make them more accessible for everyone in the room. I had to lean over one of the other guests, who was sleeping, in order to unplug my phone charger.

We do get a few comments about this and will be working on it - in the meantime we have lots of sockets in our communal area and if you'd like to leave something charging for awhile you can always leave it with us behind reception :)

I had been staying at Hatters Hostel in Manchester before and was always satisfied. This time, however, I really had bad luck: I was staying in one of the three single rooms (#306). The window in that room could not be completely closed and with the noise level from the outside it felt like sleeping next to the street - even with earplugs! The curtains were also damaged such that light could get into the room. When leaving, I told the staff these problems and they seemed to take care about it.

Our manager does room checks everyday but we can sometimes miss things like that (particularly when we have a quick turnover eg. late check out/early check in) so we apologise!!! I'm glad however that the staff on reception were able to note down what you informed them of - the issues have now been fixed and I hope next time you're here your faith in us can be restored!!

Staffs very good, although there is a bald man in a night shift who was very rude. I would return.

We do try our best to be a welcoming team so it's disheartening to hear that you felt that way. Please let us know by email if you have any complaints about staff. etc., so we can try to fix it!! We're glad you would come back though ;)

Diffecult to find in Newton street. I saw different name on street sign

• 19th Apr 2014

Sorry about that, it does say Newton Street on the road we're on but we are aware that there is another Newton Street in Manchester which might make it confusing! Our step for step directions are on this website, so please refer to them if you have any trouble, or just give us a call :)

The only problem I had was with one of the staff during the night. I tried to ask about a late check-out and he didn't even let me talk. He is a very rude person.

• 18th Apr 2014

:( We try our best to make sure everyone is happy so it's shame when we hear things like this - please please email us with any formal complaints you have so we can try to stop this from happening!!!

Solid hostel for a night or two in Manchester. Stayed in the large dorm and everything was fine. Nothing too special but a solid stay

This place is awesome!! Great location, around some great night life. They organized a bar crawl when we stayed, SO much fun. Also the free breakfast was a lovely touch. All the facilities on the premises were clean and neat. No complaints!

It's tough when everyone leaves us at the reception desk to go and party, so it makes it much more worth it when we hear you've had an awesome time haha! Thanks so much for the review and we hope to see you soon :)

We had a lovely stay at Hatters in Manchester, and would recommend staying there to anyone looking for budget accommodation :) We did have a run in with one of the staff who was not too friendly (a man on night watch) and there was some trouble with the kitchen our second day but other than that everything was great :)

Hi guys, thank you so much for your review and we're sorry about the kitchen issue! We had a problem with the taps not working that day and had to shut the kitchen before our sink overflowed with dirty dishes - a rarity we assure you!! If you have any complaints about staff etc. please let us know so we can forward you onto our manager. We strive to be as awesome and welcoming as we can and can't move forward without honest feedback!

staff polite, room cleanliness, great location only 10 min walking from Piccadilly train station and the Shudehill Interchange Bus Station

Thanks!! And not forgetting all the bars, vintage shops and record stores in between Piccadilly and Shudehill ;)

It's a pity that WIFI works only in common area,should be in dorms too. Bathroom so cold that water freezes in tabs. Over all it's okay if you not staying lobger than 2-3 nights

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Poland

Great hostel! Location is excellent; hip part of town with plenty of galleries, small cafés, venues !

Thanks mayyyyn! You obviously got stuck into the real Manchester, well done - it's a shame when people miss out on it :)

Not a good experience!! Was in a room full of men. Scared. Noisy men either sides too. Not a wink of sleep due to them

• 11th Apr 2014

Everything was good, better than I expected. Nice staff, decent and clean rooms, perfect and well equiped kitchen (including basic food - salt, sugar, coffee, tea, oil etc.). Breakfasts are very basic there (bread, butter, marmelade, coffee) but for free. The reception works around-the-clock. The advert says "party hostel", but it doesn't mean that you can't sleep - the nights were calm as usually. No problems appeared.

Hi again and thank you so much for the lovely review! We invite all partiers and backpackers to chill in our common area but make sure it's kept relatively quiet on the dorm floors so that those who need to put their head down can :)

Hatters is a very big hostel in the middle of Manchester. They provide free breakfast and sometimes even free dinner. The international staff is very friendly too. One girl at the reception has a very sweet smile. Here you meet a lot of other travelers.

Hello Mister :) First of all I hope that your bag didn't explode on your way to the airport. Second of all thank you so much for the review, we have all made the very best of friends at Hatter's and hope that you did too! And yes, free dinner Tuesday (today, ha you're missing out), free popcorn Wednesday, free barcrawl Thursday....JOIN THE FREE WAGON EVERYONE!

Good hostel, very well located. Has activities to encourage meeting people and it's great. I had a good time at night playing pool with Pablo (staff) and some other bag packers.

People were drying hair in the kitchen YUCK! Girls toilet was blocked for 4 days that I was there. Tea and coffee all day was good

We do get people to fill out a disgusting habits questionnaire before we let them stay but sometimes, apparently, people are just massive LIARS. Our toilet has a pretty old flushing system and needs a good tug, so although we check the toilets every morning and evening, it may happen that the toilet just isn't flushed properly! We know it's not your job to inform us of yuckiness but we're not afraid to get our hands dirty if you do let us know :)

To noise with the pubs around

Yes, for a quieter stay we would recommend somewhere out of the city...our hostel description on websites does include the fact that we are quite central - the downside to that is that you have to put up with Manchester's lively night scene! We find that using a megaphone to tell everyone on the street to shut up.....doesn't help.

It is quite dirty and i was in a 10 bed room and it got incredibly hot at night. The wifi sucks. Cool toilets though

Excuse us while we quietly celebrate the fact that your review means that maybe, just maybe, summer is coming. ................. Okay. So more seriously, we will take that as a sign that it's time to get the fans out. More specifics on this dirt! Our housekeeping team try their best, but sometimes when we have rooms with long stayovers it's hard to get inbetween all the bags and afternoon nap-time guests! Just let us know if anything in particular is bothering you and we'll be right on it!

Stayed in a private room so can't comment on the dorms but the room was brilliant. The building is amazing, love how they've done it. The hostel is so central, amazing location. I'm definitely going back next time i'm in Manchester.

• 4th Apr 2014