Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

A good lace to stay for the intrepid traveller

Location is excellent and easy to find. Staff are lovely. They probably need to check the toilet paper situation more regularly. Free breakfast. I'd go back again :)

Noted!!! We can get very busy on reception and as the building is so big it's difficult to get to all the floors, but we will definitely keep that in mind. We do also keep toilet paper here at reception for cases like this. We're glad you found us easy to find, there's a Newton Street in the middle of nowhere in Manchester which google maps can sometimes trick you into visiting ;)

I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone! It is a great location, just off the main road, so not too much noise at night time. The main lounge was very nice, as was the kitchen, and the t.v. room was great! The ladies at reception were so lovely and helpful, and made me feel very welcome. So far the best hostel of my trip!

Thanks so much, truly appreciated!!! Enjoy the rest of your travels, and hello from hatters to everyone you meet :D

The bathrooms and showers were on a different floor to the room, they were very old-fashioned but quite clean. Staff wern't particularly helpful or friendly but was over all ok.

• 4th May 2014

The comments we receive about our staff are usually top-notch so I'm not sure what went wrong here, however we apologise and hope it didn't affect your stay too much!! If you do have an issue with the bathrooms being on separate floors, just let us know, we can sometimes manage to shift you to another room :)

Hi I had a great time if only I snore and I disturbed my felllow guests. Nex time I shall get a single room.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Spain

Haha this is the first comment we have received about themselves snoring....we didn't seem to get complaints from anyone else, it's all in your head man, it's all in your head ;) See ya next time!!

Wasn't too bad for a single night wouldn't wanna stay there much longer. Noisy in the rooms, not very clean either!

I really enjoyed staying at Hatters. The srwff was great, the room was nice, facilities clean. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 28th Apr 2014

Access to sockets in the rooms near each bed would be appreciated, or at the very least make them more accessible for everyone in the room. I had to lean over one of the other guests, who was sleeping, in order to unplug my phone charger.

We do get a few comments about this and will be working on it - in the meantime we have lots of sockets in our communal area and if you'd like to leave something charging for awhile you can always leave it with us behind reception :)

I had been staying at Hatters Hostel in Manchester before and was always satisfied. This time, however, I really had bad luck: I was staying in one of the three single rooms (#306). The window in that room could not be completely closed and with the noise level from the outside it felt like sleeping next to the street - even with earplugs! The curtains were also damaged such that light could get into the room. When leaving, I told the staff these problems and they seemed to take care about it.

Our manager does room checks everyday but we can sometimes miss things like that (particularly when we have a quick turnover eg. late check out/early check in) so we apologise!!! I'm glad however that the staff on reception were able to note down what you informed them of - the issues have now been fixed and I hope next time you're here your faith in us can be restored!!

Staffs very good, although there is a bald man in a night shift who was very rude. I would return.

We do try our best to be a welcoming team so it's disheartening to hear that you felt that way. Please let us know by email if you have any complaints about staff. etc., so we can try to fix it!! We're glad you would come back though ;)

Diffecult to find in Newton street. I saw different name on street sign

• 19th Apr 2014

Sorry about that, it does say Newton Street on the road we're on but we are aware that there is another Newton Street in Manchester which might make it confusing! Our step for step directions are on this website, so please refer to them if you have any trouble, or just give us a call :)

The only problem I had was with one of the staff during the night. I tried to ask about a late check-out and he didn't even let me talk. He is a very rude person.

• 18th Apr 2014

:( We try our best to make sure everyone is happy so it's shame when we hear things like this - please please email us with any formal complaints you have so we can try to stop this from happening!!!

Solid hostel for a night or two in Manchester. Stayed in the large dorm and everything was fine. Nothing too special but a solid stay

This place is awesome!! Great location, around some great night life. They organized a bar crawl when we stayed, SO much fun. Also the free breakfast was a lovely touch. All the facilities on the premises were clean and neat. No complaints!

It's tough when everyone leaves us at the reception desk to go and party, so it makes it much more worth it when we hear you've had an awesome time haha! Thanks so much for the review and we hope to see you soon :)

We had a lovely stay at Hatters in Manchester, and would recommend staying there to anyone looking for budget accommodation :) We did have a run in with one of the staff who was not too friendly (a man on night watch) and there was some trouble with the kitchen our second day but other than that everything was great :)

Hi guys, thank you so much for your review and we're sorry about the kitchen issue! We had a problem with the taps not working that day and had to shut the kitchen before our sink overflowed with dirty dishes - a rarity we assure you!! If you have any complaints about staff etc. please let us know so we can forward you onto our manager. We strive to be as awesome and welcoming as we can and can't move forward without honest feedback!

staff polite, room cleanliness, great location only 10 min walking from Piccadilly train station and the Shudehill Interchange Bus Station

Thanks!! And not forgetting all the bars, vintage shops and record stores in between Piccadilly and Shudehill ;)

It's a pity that WIFI works only in common area,should be in dorms too. Bathroom so cold that water freezes in tabs. Over all it's okay if you not staying lobger than 2-3 nights

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Poland

Great hostel! Location is excellent; hip part of town with plenty of galleries, small cafés, venues !

Thanks mayyyyn! You obviously got stuck into the real Manchester, well done - it's a shame when people miss out on it :)

Not a good experience!! Was in a room full of men. Scared. Noisy men either sides too. Not a wink of sleep due to them

• 11th Apr 2014

Everything was good, better than I expected. Nice staff, decent and clean rooms, perfect and well equiped kitchen (including basic food - salt, sugar, coffee, tea, oil etc.). Breakfasts are very basic there (bread, butter, marmelade, coffee) but for free. The reception works around-the-clock. The advert says "party hostel", but it doesn't mean that you can't sleep - the nights were calm as usually. No problems appeared.

Hi again and thank you so much for the lovely review! We invite all partiers and backpackers to chill in our common area but make sure it's kept relatively quiet on the dorm floors so that those who need to put their head down can :)