Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

The rooms where very dirty, there where clumps of hair and dust everywhere in the room I was in. The trash cans in the female toilets where overflowing.

Let me start with saying this hostel has an unbelievable atmosphere. Being a solo traveller, other hostels have been hard to meet people at. Hatters has daily activities that make it easy to meet tons of people, plus the large common room is great for relaxing and introducing yourself to others. The rooms were ok, uncomfortable, cramped beds and my roommates were loud. The washrooms are old and outdated, but the showers were always nice and clean with warm water. Definitely would recommend !

Clean and friendly

We loved the pubcrawl

• 16th Oct 2015
  • Denmark

The location is amazing, so close to everything. The staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful when one of the party had to cancel at short notice. The rooms and facilities are basic but sufficient, although the pillow was terrible, flat as a pancake. It would be good to have a better one or multiple pillows. The showers were also not very warm, though they were clean.

The showers alternated between scalding hot and icy cold giving you a couple of seconds every few minutes where it was bearable to stand under when the water switched from one to the other, but were clean. A number of unpleasant smells around the building (hallways, kitchen), bedding was pretty uncomfortable. Location is ideal and staff were mostly great.

A good hostel.No issues

Excellent location, though the staff weren't exactly friendly.

• 10th Oct 2015

Hostel was freezing, there were a number of us sat with spare items of clothing over us as blankets- I have come away ill. The shower room was cold and there was never any hot water. The doors had to be wrenched shut, which wasn't ideal at night time because of the noise, so most the time the door was left ajar - not hugely secure...

• 10th Oct 2015

Showers could be updated as the showers run really hot then go really cold

• 9th Oct 2015
  • Northern Ireland

allwaze reaaly cumfy beds staff are nice clean with a good vibe

stayed in the 10 bed dorms, in the female room,the one on Newton st, you could feel every spring in the mattress they must have been very close from coming through and there was no padding on it, the room was a good size for 10 beds which was nice so you didnt feel totally cramped. the showers are push button and the temperature is already set and you cant change it when I had my shower it was luke warm and never changed, I was also the only one in there at the time so it wasnt like someone els

This was my second time staying at Hatters, so that says something right? I like it, its straightforward and close to Piccadilly station. Good facilities, lockers, friendly and helpful staff, lovely old building. I'd recommend it.

I didn't pay a lot and got a very good location, but I've definitely stayed in better hostels: the bathrooms were just inadequate with dirty shower room floors and a lack of loo roll, and for a lot of the time there was a lack of hot/running water!

• 4th Oct 2015

I didn't has a blanket, when I told them they were like:' sorry we can't do anything, you have to search for your blanket yourself.' It was so loud at night, like you couldn't sleep and everything was so dirty. You couldn't wash your hands because the water didn't work properly.

• 3rd Oct 2015

If you like noise, sleepless nights & cold showers then Hatters on Newton Street is the hostel for you! Spent 2 nights here, both disrupted by noise from the outside smoking area in the basement bar. Until 4am, there was shouting & screaming which meant that I got little to no sleep as I had to be up early. Showers had no hot water at all. Reception refused to refund me the money for the following night (£99!!) so I couldn't stay elsewhere & had to go through the same experience again.

• 2nd Oct 2015

The toilets are dirty. Low water pressure in shower. There is hole in bedsheets.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Hong Kong

3 of us stayed at this hostel and it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Do not stay there again if this is supposedly one of the best in Manchester. Avoid, no atmosphere, staff and rude. Washing facilities are either boiling hot or freezing cold and toilets from WW2 era! No atmosphere and overall would not be staying here for that cost. Overpriced, would only pay maximum of £5/10 per night

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Northern Ireland

I rarely complain about hostels, but this place was one of my worst so far. Toilets were smeared with sh*t or dripping every morning, awful mattresses with springs poking at you, and worst of all, the cleaners threw out my clothes that were ON TOP OF MY BED and no one took responsibility for it which I'm absolutely furious about. Don't usually care about these things when it comes to budget hostels but this was not worth it, sorry.

The hostel had everything I needed for my stay - decent kitchen and communal areas - but I felt the whole place felt unlooked after, there were hardly any staff around and while some parts were cleaned well, others were not, especially the toilets where the bins were constantly overflowing. Good place to stay if you want to meet other travellers - I was staying by myself so appreciated the social atmosphere. Felt secure too with buzzer system at front door, lockers and room keys. Bit overpriced.