Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

This hostel is just too huge. I personally prefer small hostels so that i can interact with more people. The staff were busy doing their work so did not get a chance to talk to them. The breakfast is just ok, because they only provide some cereals and bread (no fruit). The toilets are very old...

If we look busy, just wave your hands in our faces and shout expletives. Joking, we'll kick you out if you do that. Haha. Our common rooms are open 24/7 and with the help of our host running activity nights, it is quite easy to meet other backpackers, although admittedly we are sometimes quiet during the week! We hope you can meet more people next time you're here :)

Very nice hostel, but there was no soap left in the bathroom. A bit expensive on Saturday nights.

Please just ask us if you notice anything missing, we'll restock before you can say...soap?

I was happy to choose this hostel! I really like the location and the staff were so cool

We ARE pretty cool, aren't we?!?! And close to all the cool bars, cool art, and cool coffee shops! Cool.

Globally the hostel is good, near of city (bus, tram, shop, animations....), the area is safe and clean, there is not really staff, only one receptionist (she was great person) , but its not enough. The alone problem, is , toilets and shower are not close of rooms, and are not so clean. But I advise it.

Hi! There may be moments of madness when a few people check in at the same time, but during the week it is seldom that we need more than one member of staff, we're multi-tasking queens :) If you notice a probelm with the toilets just let us know and we can sort it out, and we can always change your floor if you have an issue with going up or down a flight to the toilets :) Just ask!!

Loved this hostel! One of my favorites I've stayed in so far. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made my stay incredibly enjoyable. Would definitely stay here again!

Wowzerss thank you!!!! We hope you have a good time on the rest of your travels and you are always welcome back :)

Huge hostel without the usual issues for really big hostels. Good number of toilets and showers, clean enough, good beds, big rooms have a considerable space between beds, very good breakfast, big and useful kitchen. The thing, as usual with hostels in UK, is that you feel like you are over paying a little bit. Unfortunately, if you want to travel expensive countrys, you have to spend a little bit more.

Thanks so much!! Our kitchen has just been fitted as it used to be a little smaller so we're glad people are putting it to good use!! We're sorry to be charging a little more than you might pay in other countries in Europe, but I'm not sure we would survive in the UK if we didn't ;)

A 5 minutes walk from the station. Very good atmosphere and free dinner at the night of my stay. Friendly staff. large and clean shower room for dormitories. The only problem is to find a shelf to put your clothes before shower.

Dorms are on the shabby side; really could do with a renovation. Very noisy, windows don't seal properly. Broken sleep with people rapping on the door as they'd forgotten their card in the early hours...

We would recommend booking a private room to avoid disturbances from other guests, we have three single rooms here and also more privates in our sister hostel, Hatters at Hilton Chambers!

A good lace to stay for the intrepid traveller

Location is excellent and easy to find. Staff are lovely. They probably need to check the toilet paper situation more regularly. Free breakfast. I'd go back again :)

Noted!!! We can get very busy on reception and as the building is so big it's difficult to get to all the floors, but we will definitely keep that in mind. We do also keep toilet paper here at reception for cases like this. We're glad you found us easy to find, there's a Newton Street in the middle of nowhere in Manchester which google maps can sometimes trick you into visiting ;)

I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone! It is a great location, just off the main road, so not too much noise at night time. The main lounge was very nice, as was the kitchen, and the t.v. room was great! The ladies at reception were so lovely and helpful, and made me feel very welcome. So far the best hostel of my trip!

Thanks so much, truly appreciated!!! Enjoy the rest of your travels, and hello from hatters to everyone you meet :D

The bathrooms and showers were on a different floor to the room, they were very old-fashioned but quite clean. Staff wern't particularly helpful or friendly but was over all ok.

• 4th May 2014

The comments we receive about our staff are usually top-notch so I'm not sure what went wrong here, however we apologise and hope it didn't affect your stay too much!! If you do have an issue with the bathrooms being on separate floors, just let us know, we can sometimes manage to shift you to another room :)

Hi I had a great time if only I snore and I disturbed my felllow guests. Nex time I shall get a single room.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Spain

Haha this is the first comment we have received about themselves snoring....we didn't seem to get complaints from anyone else, it's all in your head man, it's all in your head ;) See ya next time!!

Wasn't too bad for a single night wouldn't wanna stay there much longer. Noisy in the rooms, not very clean either!

I really enjoyed staying at Hatters. The srwff was great, the room was nice, facilities clean. I'd definitely stay there again.

• 28th Apr 2014

Access to sockets in the rooms near each bed would be appreciated, or at the very least make them more accessible for everyone in the room. I had to lean over one of the other guests, who was sleeping, in order to unplug my phone charger.

We do get a few comments about this and will be working on it - in the meantime we have lots of sockets in our communal area and if you'd like to leave something charging for awhile you can always leave it with us behind reception :)

I had been staying at Hatters Hostel in Manchester before and was always satisfied. This time, however, I really had bad luck: I was staying in one of the three single rooms (#306). The window in that room could not be completely closed and with the noise level from the outside it felt like sleeping next to the street - even with earplugs! The curtains were also damaged such that light could get into the room. When leaving, I told the staff these problems and they seemed to take care about it.

Our manager does room checks everyday but we can sometimes miss things like that (particularly when we have a quick turnover eg. late check out/early check in) so we apologise!!! I'm glad however that the staff on reception were able to note down what you informed them of - the issues have now been fixed and I hope next time you're here your faith in us can be restored!!

Staffs very good, although there is a bald man in a night shift who was very rude. I would return.

We do try our best to be a welcoming team so it's disheartening to hear that you felt that way. Please let us know by email if you have any complaints about staff. etc., so we can try to fix it!! We're glad you would come back though ;)

Diffecult to find in Newton street. I saw different name on street sign

• 19th Apr 2014

Sorry about that, it does say Newton Street on the road we're on but we are aware that there is another Newton Street in Manchester which might make it confusing! Our step for step directions are on this website, so please refer to them if you have any trouble, or just give us a call :)

The only problem I had was with one of the staff during the night. I tried to ask about a late check-out and he didn't even let me talk. He is a very rude person.

• 18th Apr 2014

:( We try our best to make sure everyone is happy so it's shame when we hear things like this - please please email us with any formal complaints you have so we can try to stop this from happening!!!