Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Not very clean. Showers are timed. But hey if you're in a pinch trying to find a place then here you go. Great atmosphere though. I made a lot of friends here and it's in a great location

the best hostel we have stayed in on our trip and we stayed in 5 different ones. it was like walking into a 5 star hotel in the lobby with everything looking so clean and colors matching and staff cleaning all the time. the room was great as it used to be a hotel so we had a private bathroom, i can not say anything bad about it but a bit of a walk to town but that was great too best place go there for sure.

Close to train station and both bus stations (for National Express and Megabus). All doors are on electronic lock. Dirty on kitchen. Dirty cooker (plate). TV room + free Wi-Fi.

• 22nd Sep 2015
  • Ukraine
  • Couple, 41+

Everything but the kitchen facilities was great!

Close to city center. TV room. Free Wi-Fi everywhere. Common kitchen available, but a little dirty. Clean in the rooms. Fresh bed linen. Price little bit expensive!

• 21st Sep 2015
  • Ukraine

The hostel was very nice, but the staff are not that attentive and educated, they make you feel like you are in their house. The rooms are good and also the bathrooms. The location its also good.

4 beds doorms better also mattresses rubbish

• 16th Sep 2015
  • Hungary

The place was pretty nice, nice atmosphere, super well located. I just stayed for a night though so I didn't get to spend much time hanging out there. The only problem were the toilets, you had to be a magician to flush them, they actually had instructions to do so. What don't they invent a better system, then?

My stay was good. They offer discounts for booking with Hatters in another city, so I took them up on this offer. They said they had booked me, but when I arrived at the Liverpool hatters, they had no reservation for me. A bit nerve racking as I am travelling alone and it was late at night. Thankfully they still had a bed available.

won't be back if I had a choice

It was my first time staying at a hostel and it was a nice experience. Easy check in and check out, the noise wasn't too loud, and the bathrooms, while quite basic, were perfectly sanitary.

• 10th Sep 2015
  • Spain

Great stay, relaxed atmosphere.

• 8th Sep 2015

The staff were great and helpful, breakfast was good, kitchen was useful and there are plenty of communal places to hang out. Every night of the week they have organised activities such as games nights or pub crawls. One big let down was the cleanliness. I got in quiet late so when I arrived in my room I just chucked my dirty clothes under the bed and left my phone on the floor while charging. In the morning though everything had picked up thick clumps of dust from where the floor wasn't cleaned

Dust is the bane of our lives in this building... it used to be a hat factory and we simply cannot get rid of the bits of ghost hats that still haven't moved on, We do try our best though and we will mention this to the housekeepers to see if anyone has any ideas besides the modern hoover/dustpan and brush!

The staff were fantastic, great lounge areas and great location. A little pricey and the room by the TV is heard as if the TV were in the room itself.

We do close the TV lounge to guests during the night as we are aware that being an old building the walls aren't the thickest! Thank you for complimenting our staff though - they're a lovely bunch :)

Friendly staff, decent breakfast, adequate facilities. The showers are on a timed system which is a bit of a pain to keep pressing them, but I guess it's a good measure to save water. Wi-fi was down when I was there but I don't think that's a common occurence. Right in the middle of town.

It's not a common occurrence, we promise! Thanks for leaving a review and we hope to see you soon :)

it's right in the centre of the northern quarter, a few steps away from the best bars, restaurants, and music venues of Manchester so it's a particularly good deal for young travelers. It's quite clean and breakfast is good. wi-fi hasn't worked for a couple of days (it's generally pretty fast) and I found showers a bit cold but overall, I'd definitely recommend it.

Our wi-fi did go down while you stayed and we had to wait for a new modem to be delivered but we can't fault our provider as they acted pretty quickly and it has never happened before! let us know if you're finding the showers cold - sometimes our boiler goes on strike but we just need to kick it into action ;)

Very happy with our stay, would highly recommend. Very good security, cameras everywhere and lockers so very safe. 2 minutes from train station very easy to find. Staff were very helpful and friendly, good atmosphere, staff even sat with us to watch a movie. Very clean all through, showers and toilets were lovely. Very good for the price. Had a big TV room with lots of dvds and comfy sofas and computers. Also a room dowstairs with a pool table and games etc. Free breakfast which was perfect :D

By saying our staff 'watched a movie', do you mean like when you're 15 and you go out and get wasted, lose a shoe and a finger, puke on a policeman at 6am and then tell your parents that you just went to Becky's and watched Love Actually? Just sounds like a tame account of our staffs daily lives is all. We're glad you had a good time ;)

Pretty average hostel. There wasn't much of a social atmosphere.

Say whaaaaaaaat? We've lured in some absolutely fabulous guests this year so the only explanation I have is that football had taken over the city when you stayed? It is rare that Hatters loses it's social atmosphere (we have a host all year round that will take you out whether you want to or not) apart from when it's freezing and no-one wants to visit Manchester - but don't fear the whether, we check people in with hugs when it goes below 10.

convenient location, comfortable beds, nice staff, decent communal area. Only thing i would really improve is the toilets and showers, cleanliness and freezing showers. enjoyed my stay there over Manchester pride weekend.

• 29th Aug 2015

We know, our toilets are old. But they're gorgeous! Being so hectic on weekends we do advise our guests to avoid the showers at peak times (our boiler does it's best but struggles with 160 people trying to shower in under an hour)! Please let us know though if this is ever the case - sometimes it's just a case of flicking a switch that has turned itself off!

The hostel wasn't as good as I expected. I have stayed in the hostel down the road on Hilton Street, this was alot cleaner with better bathroom facilities. Although I had the best weekend and met some outstanding people that I probably wouldn't have met if I wasn't staying in a hostel!

• 28th Aug 2015

While we allocate the same amount of cleaning time to both hostels, our poor Newton Street building is a little older and therefore more stubborn when it comes to trying to force all the dust out! But you're right, despite our battle with cleaning, with old comes cosy and we tend to have some rather beautiful hearted guests staying with us :) Bros before.....hose?