Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

+: Location is great, staff is very helpfull. -: Very cold inside, towels costs 2 pounds, only 2 toilets for all guests.

Hello there. I think we have more than 2 toilets per all the guests in house ;) We have male showers and toilet on 1st 3rd and 5th floor and then you can find female showers and toilets on 2nd and 4th floor, plus we have a few unisex toilets on the ground floor just next door to the kitchen...maybe you got confused a little! Thank you for your review. Hope you had a good time! :)

It's too noisy during the night,,,because of the pipes? or something...hard to fall asleep.....

Hey, thank you for leaving a review! Our old building makes weird noises that you cannot notice that much during the day. He is a bit grumpy and he needs to complaint at night sometimes ;) Next time remember to ask form some earplugs in reception. We are always happy to help!!

Breakfast and kitchen area was nice. There were never ever toilet paper in toilets and the toilets was very dirty and there were puke in bathroom sink for three days. One of the beds were broken, and no one seemed to care about it, they just put a next person in it. And bedrooms were extremely cold. But its cheep and in good place.

• 31st Oct 2013
  • Finland

Uh....not sure what went wrong here?!?! We sound a little bit like a worn down asylum and this is worrying and new to me!! Our HK team do their utmost to keep things tidy and hygienic, but we can't keep them here 24/7 so when they're not around we rely on guests to be respectful. We do really need guests to let us know when there are issues they have, as we are not psychic and a lot of the time are only informed about these things 5 days later when we're unable to do anything :(

The bathrooms were horrible and they were very dirty! No paper, no soap... There was noise during all the night (from the street and from the hostel, due to a party). When I arrived, I found almost all the guests in the kitchen-living room. They were drinking alcohol and most of them drunk. I don't recommend you this hostel if you wants to rest.

Drunk? On holiday?! Blasphemy. ..A hostel wouldn't be my personal preference for somewhere to get some rest, but if you were looking for a quieter place you might try our other hostel down the road, which has a little more of a 'hotel-y' feel than Hatters. And remember if you ever need anything we're on reception 24/7 and usually have a toilet roll or two up our sleeves or balancing on our heads.

soo much fun and made friends for life

• 31st Oct 2013

Hahaha that's amazing!! That's the kind of review that makes our days here at Hatters. Hopefully we will see you again soon in house!!!!! :)

An older building that needs some updating. Very drafty in the bathrooms and showers. Mouldy smell. Not all the taps work in the bathroom. The included breakfast is very sparce. Kichen is very basic. Internet only in the common room which has a lack of seating. No lift available so have to lug luggage up multiple floors. Location is probably the only good thing about it. I would try the other hatters down the road.

Our building IS very old, and we will take into account that we may need to have a close inspection of anything causing drafts, especially come winter! Thank you for bringing that to our attention :) Our kitchen has plates and glasses, cutlery, hobs, pots and pans, cutting boards.......but we will definitely install the ice cream machine and electric whisk as soon as we can ;)

They didn't refund overpaid night unlikely :(

• 30th Oct 2013
  • Poland

Believe it or not, we're not thieves, and only charge our guests in the event of a no-show or late cancellation (and even then we don't enjoy it). If you have a valid reason to believe that we over charged you, PLEASE get in touch so we can do something about it!

Perfect stay with a brilliant breakfast and 24/7 toast and tea. Awesome location in the middle of the city center. Thank you guys of the hatters

• 30th Oct 2013

Thank you so much for your review!!! Really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!! Happy Days!!

I stayed here when I was visiting London. It took me 5 hours to get there each day. This is more suitable for people staying in Manchester. Great hostel.

• 29th Oct 2013

The hostel is old and dirty. Often there is no paper in the toilets. A little part of the roof fallen down in the bathroom when someone was in. You have to pay for using computers and the wifi didn't work when I arrived. The kitchen is very small.

• 27th Oct 2013

The building is indeed old, but we love it for that! We do however take hygiene seriously and endeavor to keep the common spaces and room as neat and tidy as possible. Sometimes in the evenings when our housekeepers have gone home, the guests can be a little messy, but we keep an eye on this and guests can always come up to reception if we've missed something, we don't bite :)

Stayed at Hatters many times, however during my recent stay the 1st floor male toilets where disgusting. Told reception twice but nothing happened. Hatters is always good value for money and even though not happy this time will stay again when next in Manchester.

• 18th Oct 2013

Hi there. Thank you for leaving your feedback! We have been so busy lately it's been unbelievable. We do apologise if it took long to sort the toilets out and we promise we will do our best to keep them immaculate for next time you'll come back! Please do come back! :) Hope to see you soon again.

The small rooms get very hot at night, found it difficult to sleep

You must have been staying while Manchester was having it's mid-life crisis....it is much cooler now, and we'll try to prepare for any abnormal weather conditions next year :)

I found the hostel good and most of the staff are very helpful. A good place for solo travelers with a sociable common room. However a particular night staff member could be more polite with noise requests, not scream at people to let them know its after 10pm.

Sweet hostel, a few guests were extremely stupid with the staff when I was there and the staff could deal really well with the situation. Besides that they were very helpful, location is good, very clean bathrooms and FREE TOASTS all day long!

Constantly running out of toilet paper in the women's washrooms. Noise from the street was loud although I was on the 5th floor. Breakfast is good and staff are nice. Location is amazing.

• 11th Oct 2013

we dont like our room located at 5th floor and we hv to walk up and down. the toilet is not clean, hot water is too hot, cold water is too cokd

• 11th Oct 2013
  • Malaysia

not the best hostel i stayed in my life, but i can see that this is be the best in hostel in Manchester.

Hatters on Newton is awful beyond comprehension. I have been travelling for eight months straight, and have never stayed in a place so miserable. The disgruntled staff banished me to a dungeon - like dorm room, filled with sick obese people ranging from 45 - 60 years old. The coughing fits and midnight symphonies of flatchulence from my room mates was a living, naseating nightmare. As if the inhumanely uncomfortable mattess wasnt bad enough. Don't stay here. Don't.

I just for 1 night, though I have to say place location n staff are the best side, breakfast included but just average, however, the big downs were cleanliness in room and having showers

Our location is TOP of the TOPS and POPS :) Thank you for your lovely review! Come back soon to Hatters!!

Overall pleasent stay. Friendly people all around.

We hope you joint the PUB CRAWL too!! That is our Masterpiece over the weekend. We love to have friendly and happy guests! It really makes our day better!! Thank you for your review and come back soon!!