Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Nice free breakfast and lounge area. My only compliant is I wish the wifi was free everywhere and not just in the lounge, but other than that it was a good experience.

Rooms and breakfast was good, location decent, close to bus, coach and city center and night life yet remains in quiet and safe area. Bathrooms were a little old fashion with little privacy - there are only translucent shower cubicles amd you'll have to dress in the open area with others. Internet access was limited to ground floor common area though.

I loved the all-day toast, the free breakfast included and the very, very friendly and helpful staff. Also met loads of fun, out-going people there, so although I was traveling alone, I did not need to spend a single night by myself.

• 3rd Sep 2013
  • Finland

Hello there and thank you for your lovely review! We loved that you enjoyed your stay so much. That's great! We are happy to hear that solo travelers can make Hatters their home and meet new people and have lots of fun! Hopefully you will come back soon for more fun!

-The beds were very comfortable, with wonderful comforters :) -The kitchen facilities were great -There were no lockers in the rooms but there were lockers downstairs in the lobby so if you needed safekeeping for your valuables you had do go downstairs -Good location

Thank you for leaving us a review! We know we don't dispose of lockers into the rooms but we also offer to keep valuables in our back office at all time. Reception is 24/7 open and it is very secure. It was good to hear from you!! Come back soon!! :)

This is a great hostel, in a very central location with friendly staff and lots of social space for cooking, watching television and just hanging out. Free breakfast is a big bonus. All this for a really great price. Thanks Hatters. :-)

Thank you for choosing us and staying with us. We love being surrounded by nice people all the time and we love to hear from you. It's been a pleasure to have made your stay a nice stay! Come back soon to see us. :))

The wifi was unstable and kept getting logged out every 10 minutes. Facilities were decent but the toilets were quite old and the flush didnt work. Location was 10 minutes walk away from city centre but near the coach and train stations.

The location is somewhat central (five walking minutes to town centre, 10 minutes to Picadilly station). Our room was really nice and one could have stayed there longer than for one night. The only negative aspect I can think of was the noise level: Thin windows, thin walls and clanging waterpumps that made it necessary to use ear plugs over night.

Due to the age of our building and Manchester's lively population, we do sometimes get a bit of noise, but we do provide earplugs if you've forgotten your own! Thanks for the review though and see you again soon :)

Overall a nice, standard hostel. In a great position in Manchester and the beds and facilities are very clean and the common room downstairs is a great way to meet people and also get some breakfast / tea or coffee as well. The lady who checked us in was lovely however, all of the other staff just seemed bored and not overly fussed about being attentive to guests which would be my only complaint.

Hello there, thank you so much for leaving some feedback. We are sorry to hear that you had a general bad experience with our staff. We always try to do our best to make our guests happy. Give us another chance...I'm sure it was full moon or something that night ;)

It's my second time to stay the hostel. I am satisfied with the location, free breakfast, and helpful staffs. =)

Hooray! We'll see you for your third visit soon?

Lovely character building

THANK you!! We get a couple of negative reviews commenting on the age of the building, but we love it!!! Hatters used to be a hat factory (hence the name ;p) and we absolutely adore it's original features!

Brilliant location, friendly staff, lively and nice atmosphere, clean bedding, even breakfast (though not very rich) is included in the price, I would definitely recommend it!! I had a lovely stay and felt like home.

• 27th Aug 2013

.....aaaaand free tea/coffe and toasts all day!! That's our best part!! Thank you very much for the lovely review! Hope to see you soon in Hatters again!

Lifts unavailable to use so good luck if you have a big bag to carry up the stairs. No lockers in the rooms wasn't ideal. Good location though and staff are friendly and helpful.

OveralI it was a good place to stay. This hostel is in a really good location near everything in Manchester, it's a clean and safe place with a friendly and helpful staff. Basically, here you can get all what you need when you're travelling.

All you need....AND MORE ;)

Broadband on 5th floor was bad, had no wifi connection what so ever up on 5th floor!!!

• 26th Aug 2013

Not sure here whether you were using the paid wi-fi or if you were trying to access the free connection. Our free wi-fi is provided only in communal areas (1st floor) while paid wi-fi is for use in the rooms. As our building is relatively tall, we do sometimes have some issues with some devices on the 5th floor, and if it's paid we are always happy to refund you!!

I wanted a clean place with bed, shower and close to the city center. Hatter's met all of my needs. Kitchen/lounge is a good place to mingle and meet new people but I spent most of my time away from the hostel enjoying the great city. Close to rail, tram, shopping, pubs, clubs. Tight space in rooms so no space for lockers and water temperature fluctuated randomly while taking a shower. Other than that, this is a solid place to camp for the night.

• 23rd Aug 2013

While we're happy for you to chill out in the hostel, we love that you enjoyed the city too as Manchester has so much to offer, which people don't always recognize! We will take a look at providing lockers in the rooms as it does seem to be a negative for quite a few people, until then they're in reception under our steady watch ;)

I had a really good time staying at Hatters :) Facilities and beds were good an clean, little noise, a nice lobby with everfree tea and toast. The location is very close to the centre of town and the trainstation as well.

• 21st Aug 2013

Thanks! We are central to pretty much EVERYTHING, and do our best to keep y'all happy chaps!

Would benefit from lockers in the room, as opposed to having the use the downstairs foyer

Unfortunately we don't have enough space for lockers in the room, but at least we can keep an eye on them down in reception. We'll keep that in mind though and see what we can do :)

Very nice hostel with friendly staff and great location. Did the pub crawl and had a good time! just need to keep an eye on the toilets at times... apart from that all good

We've JUST hired a loo watcher - some people find it creepy, but we just think it's hygienic. Bhahah just kidding but thanks for your comments, we do our best to upkeep our cleanliness, but if there's any issues you feel need addressing, just let us know!!

Excellent location at the Northern Quarter, basic breakfast included, cool staff, clean enough. Something I noticed: Friday night the ambient was like Party, Saturday night, everything was empty and the security was stricter

....uhmm...that's because we like to mix it up a bit, do things backwards......? Haha Saturday is usually our busier night, and we up the security when we have more guests in, stag do's etc. I'm supposing that everyone was just very well behaved that night, so let's give them a round of applause :D

nice loos! nice you have Weetabix natural yoghurt would be good

• 13th Aug 2013
  • Switzerland

You, my friend, are a woman of delicious ideas, and guess what, natural yoghurt is soon to make an appearance on the menu, so..... come back.