Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

The hostel felt secure on entry as there was a buzzer so any unwanted visitors can be refused entry. As you walk in everything screams welcome! The common room which is on the left as you come in has a nice area for you to read a book or something if you want it. The room I stayed in was all female and accommodated around 10 people. I was happy about everything apart from some of the girls in my room who kept putting on and off the lights when I had a headache! Overall I was happy.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Thank you so much! Our key card access also ensures that you and your roommates will be the only people with permitted entry to the room, while our big strong night staff keep any trouble makers away ;)

Room was OK, but one male toilet lacked toilet paper and the other lacked soap and was generally filthy. There was a note that we should inform the staff if we found any troubles with the toilet. So I did. The girl at the reception said she will take care of it "later". I insisted, since I had to use the toilet. Eventually, I went to the girls' toilet, and by the time I checked out (next morning), there was still neither toilet paper nor soap. What a complacency. Why do they have that note then?

We'd like to apologise for what you experienced with the toilets - while everything usually runs smoothly, we ocassionally run into problems with late deliveries etc. which leaves us a little bit helpless! We do our best to offer you immediate assistance but again, on hectic mornings it's difficult to leave the desk, and we do have housekeepers in from 9 - 3 doing their best to make sure everything is stocked.

Some rooms are better than others. Sadly the lift needs to be fixed to help those who can not easily cope with stairs to get to the upper floors. There are four floors in total.

• 20th Jun 2014

Great time, great vibe, great stay! I particularly enjoyed the pub crawl organised by the hostel! What a night!

Caitlin will come down every evening at around 6 and announce her concern that there might not be many people going on her bar crawl. She is always wrong, and it's always brilliant. See you soon for more shenanigans?

Location was good, close to the trains and trams. The hostel is very large but appeared well organised. The included breakfast - cereal, toast coffee/tea,and sometimes fruit, was standard issue but still pretty good. The bathrooms were fairly clean. Security was fairly good with buzz in 24 hours a day and key cards for the dorm doors. However the lockers were outside the room which is inconvenient and someone tampered with my lock but didn't get in. The pub crawl was great :)

THE WORST EVER !!! Never been to such a dirty place. Elevator not working, mattress ok, IF YOU ARE A FAKIR !!! RUN AWAY !!!

Our elevator is over 100 years old so while we are happy to take your luggage up in it, we can't allow guests to use it I'm afraid! We won't chase you if you do run away, but we're sorry you felt this way.

Excellent hostel. Only improvment I could suggested it privacy curtains round the beds

Noted! We've got a few home improvements going on at the moment (let me take this opportunity to say that our bar will be up and running in a couple of months time yipee!) so we'll make sure that's on our list!

Good location, plenty of shops, food and beer close by. Good common area with pool table, couches and small kitchen. The room was fine, plenty of room even though there was 8 people. The showers and toilet were old but still worked fine. Had a good night on the pub crawl..

I've been to this hostel before and i have always loved it. but this time i was disappointed. the kitchen was closed or doesnt exist anymore!? toilets, showers and rooms need a makeover. staff is not unfriendly but not very forthcoming either. the activities are sparse. in the past this hostel was all about making the guests feel welcome. now its about asking for a lot of money while offering little. i dont think i'll be back:(

Hee-eeeey we do have a kitchen, and it's bigger and better!! You may have missed it as it's been moved to the first floor so we apologise if we forgot to mention this at check in! We have activities every single night except Sunday (this day is dedicated to Bar crawl hangovers). We're really sorry you didn't feel as welcome as before, we try our best and now we're sad :( Come back so we can make it up to you!!!!

The hostel facilities, location and staff were excellent but I just faced only 1 problem that is it's very noisy at night time due to vehicles movement outside the hostel. Rest everything is perfect.

• 6th Jun 2014
  • India

Hey and thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review :) We're sorry about the noise, just ask us at reception for earplugs if you need them!

Do not stay here. The staff are unfriendly and the conditions are absolutely horrible. Everything is run down and broken.

• 6th Jun 2014

Hey, we're really sorry you seemed to have a bad experience! It does help when our guests talk to us at the time, but if you feel strongly about what happened, please send us a direct email letting us know what went wrong! It's rare that we get our percentage ego so bruised, so we'd like to know what we could have changed to give you a better time!

Very nice hostel- friendly, enthusiastic staff, great location, fairly comfortable, and sufficient room for cooking, eating, and just chilling. Only suggestion: I stayed in the 18 person dorm, and the blinds didn't really do anything about shutting out the light, and therefore I was woken up every day at around 5 (or whenever the sun rises) because it was REALLY bright, and the same goes for trying to fall asleep. If possible, install heavier blinds, but it is a relatively small issue.

It is bright for the most part on the UK summer days so we will take that into consideration! We have recently purchased new blinds for a few of our rooms so hopefully 201 will get it's special treatment soon too! it was very nice to have you guys, hope you return soon :)

Room and showers were comfortable. There is room for improvement for service staff mending the reception.

Thanks for leaving a review! I'm not quite sure whether you mean that we could improve as customer service representatives or carpenters but we will do both!!!

The hostel is very well located, you can go walking to everywhere but I honestly think it's too expensive for what it is itself. You can have a free tea anytime of the day though, which is a good thing. There's no lockers in the rooms, so it's a bit unsafe for your suitcase.

• 30th May 2014
  • Spain

Great location - very close to Picadilly Station. Hostel is close to the main street of Manchester. Staff is very friendly and helpful. You can leave your baggage there but is a little to expensive.

• 29th May 2014
  • Poland

Hi! Thanks for the review - we're in a prime location near the (best!) bars and restaurants, and we do our best to make you feel welcome. You may have been misinformed about our luggage storage, which is free before and after check out - you only need to pay if you are leaving it overnight and are not actually staying!

Good breakfast, nice place, good location atmosphere: very nice wifi, internet, nice living, nice place! value for money: very good staff: two guys in the reception dont like their job, dont like turist and they rudes, unfriendly and they must be fired (my opinion) the woman in reception was very agreable, but not the guys.

Good hostel in city center. Facilities were a bit on the old side and run down, one of the toilets had trouble flushing and the hot water didn't work on some of the sinks. Close to the city and bus station though and they have nightly events so that's nice.

Was a great hostel, Tuesday night we got a free dinner (maybe advertise it a bit more) rooms were clean, beds were pretty comfy. Showers were good location good and staff reasonably helpful

Thanks for the review! Advertising our activity nights - definitely noted!! We run these nights EVERY night and they're all free and lots of fun, get awwwn it!

This hostel is just too huge. I personally prefer small hostels so that i can interact with more people. The staff were busy doing their work so did not get a chance to talk to them. The breakfast is just ok, because they only provide some cereals and bread (no fruit). The toilets are very old...

If we look busy, just wave your hands in our faces and shout expletives. Joking, we'll kick you out if you do that. Haha. Our common rooms are open 24/7 and with the help of our host running activity nights, it is quite easy to meet other backpackers, although admittedly we are sometimes quiet during the week! We hope you can meet more people next time you're here :)

Very nice hostel, but there was no soap left in the bathroom. A bit expensive on Saturday nights.

Please just ask us if you notice anything missing, we'll restock before you can say...soap?