Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

the good great location nice music and chillout area staff are helpful the bad terrible showers (cant change heat settings and weak) dusty, especially under the bed, could use a proper vacume too many "DO NOT DO..." this and that signs everywhere! kinda off putting

Thanks for the compliments on the music, our manager needs to be careful that we all don't set off to become DJ's, no?! Unfortunately during busy times when everyone is taking showers it can be a bit too much pressure for our pipes, but we will look into improving that!! Concerning our signs...people STILL misbehave sometimes (often), so we hate to imagine the chaos if we didn't have them up!

Very nice hostel that is located perfectly for exploring Manchester. Just about 5 minutes away from Manchester Piccadilly. The staff is helpful and friendly and the rooms (at least mine; mixed 4 dorm) were clean and spacious. The hostel itself also was clean and in good condition. I have already been to the Hatter-hostels in Birmingham and Liverpool and again I was not disappointed by the hostel. WIFI is only available in the common room. Breakfast is okay.

Thanks!!!! We're so glad you hit all our hostels and enjoyed yourself - we hope you took advantage of the 10% discount that you receive off our hostels when you book directly with us!!!

Great facilities and atmosphere. Great location as well. Totally recommend it!

100%! Thas wut am talkin abou'. Thanks so much for the review, glad to hear you were happy with everything - although how could you not be with free tea and coffee and such brilliant guests to keep you company :p

A really spacious room and good breakie however there is no lift so you might be disappointed when you're on the 5th floor and have to go up and down everyday

overall a pretty cool place. Loved the chilled out morning receptionist who was super friendly and gave us lots of advice. Pretty sure one of our roomates was a small time drug dealer who stole our toiletries though.

Those damn drug-dealing theives!! Maybe even a toiletrie dealer?!!? No but really, let us know if anything shifty is going on, so we can scope it out!! Was it South America you were going to next??? Either way I hope you both have a brilliant time, you are our favourite type of guests :) See yous across the waaaay!

great location but a bit noisy! staff were great helpful with tourist info

The great location does equals noisy we're afraid!!! We do have earplugs at reception though, never hesitate to ask :) Thank you so much for your review, you are welcome back anytime!!!!

We booked Hatters at the last minute so that may be why it was really expensive. Pros - great location to see the sites and go out at night; convenient breakfast (which was well stocked even though we didn't get there until 9.30). Cons - 22 pounds for a ten person dorm that doesn't have power points or lockers wasn't value for money; the dorm was up a massive flight of stairs; shared bathroom is freezing cold and there were only two girls toilets for the floor; no real communal space.

Hi guys!! The most likely reason that your stay was expensive may have been due to the fact that it was New Year's Eve...we try to keep cheap but our prices can go up in high demand times! Our dorms do have power points and there are also some in our 24/7 common rooms, just ask us if you can't find them :) We apologise for the stairs, we can't let go of our beloved antique lift!!

I enjoyed my stay. The place is just next to the centre. The showers where a bit cold... but still OK. I would stay there again.

Thank you!! Let us know if you ever have any issues like that - we'll see what we can do :)

Lockers in the room would be nice. Conveniently close to main bus station. Breakfast was decent. Rooms and bathrooms were a bit old but ok.

Rooms were pretty dusty and the washroom was quite cold. No outlets in the room that I could see! It would also be nice if the elevator could be used by guests; however, I recognize that this would require a new elevator as the existing one is quite rickety! Staff was helpful and allowed me to store my luggage until check in, and the location was perfect for catching trains, coaches or local buses. A decent stay, though could be better.

Heya! Thanks so much for leaving a review - our lift is of sentimental value and so beautiful we would hate to get rid of it, but of course we don't mind bringing your luggage up and down when needs be :) We do have outlets in the rooms and also in the communal areas which are open 24/7. We hope we can indeed make your stay better if you happen to come again though!!!!

Well located for nightlife, shopping and culture with all major transport connections nearby. Unfortunately, another English hostel below standards with what European counterparts offer. Was a crash pad for clubbing for our stay.

good place

Thanks!!!!!

clean room, very nice female shower room, perfect location. But be prepared to do stairs

• 24th Jan 2014

*Be prepared to EXERCISE. We're helping you work off all your holiday booze and ready-made meals ;)

The location is the main reason to stay here....close to both bus and train stations plus access to the city. If staying in a dorm do take ear plugs if you like sleeping...some of the snoring is on another level!

Its time to make repair

Haha we're working on it we promise! Slow but steady ;)

Very helpful staff. Comfy, central and will definately be back.

• 15th Jan 2014

Thank you, we really appreciate our guests taking note of our hard work - we really do our best! We'll see you soon :)

I would not recommend this place for a longer stay than one night - although the mattress was way better than the one in the Hatters in Liverpool. It was not very clean and some of the facilities seem to have been there for 150years. The staff was nice though.

Nonono, it only gets better baby! Anyway don't be silly, our building was built in 1900 so our facilities have only been there 114 years. I suppose our toaster is a little older though, having been invented in 1893.

had a very nice stay at this hostel. enjoyed having lockers and particularly appreciated the staff putting numbers on luggage in the luggage room, very few hostels do that and security is important to me. bathrooms were clean and fine but a hassle for the girls in my group since they were on another floor from the room. didnt have trouble sleeping due to noise like other reviewers

I stayed on New Years day so this may have something to do with the poor rating. The showers are dirty, smelly and you can't control the temp. I rented a towel which was very small and malted. Shortage of padlocks for the lockers when I first arrived. The 18 bed dorm is not nice to stay in, noisy and dirty (again, could be time of the year). You only have WiFi in the common room unless you pay £5 or more and the common room was dirty. I have stayed around the world, possibly the worst vs price.

......The hostel is closed over Christmas so when we re-open I must admit that things are a little hectic! With our prices, I'm afraid we follow suit with the rest of the accomodation costs in Manchester, but always keep our prices lower than theirs, I promise!

No free lockers to put your stuff whilst away from the bed