Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Would definetaly reccomend this hostel to anyone

• 13th Aug 2013
  • Scotland

Thank you so much!! Tell all you friends how AMAZING we are!! ;) Hope to see you again in Hatters.

Lovely Stay

• 9th Aug 2013

Lovely guest ;)) Come back soon!! Thank you so much for choosing us!!

The place was made to feel like home, the staff was friendly and welcoming and the facilities was well looked after. a nice plenty for anyone to stay.

• 9th Aug 2013

Thank you so so much for your lovely review!!! That's exactly what we try to aim at. We like to hear when our guest have felt like they were home!! Thank you again and hopefully we will see you again soon. :))

Great hostel in Manchester. Each floor was dedicated to a famous local musician, from Ian Brown to the Doves to Morrissey and New Order. Just wish they plated these bands rather than the top 20 pop songs in the communal area at night! Free breakfast has a great range, plenty of showers and there's a pool table in the common area. All in all made for a great couple of days. Really liked the idea of the lockers in reception. Would stay again!

Location was good. Free breakfast was great. But I was really unhappy with one staff. I've been to 15 countries 38 cities so far. When I checked in, no one asked my credit card. I live in Dublin and I only stayed 1 night in Manchester. I left my bank card in my room. I had enough cash anyway. When I checked in this hostel, she asked me to show my credit card. But she didn't understand what I said. I showed my passport. She kept sighing, she didn't explain anything. Finally I was ok without card.

We are really sorry to hear that. We do need to ask every guest to show the credit/debit card they have made the booking with at check in. It is a security policy at Hatters and we are not the only ones. It is to avoid "bad surprises" and fraud. With regards to the staff, at Hatters we are normally very happy and friendly and hard working so we do apologise for your bad experience with us. Hopefully we will see you again here :)

Hostel was good overall. Had a good kitchen area and common room. Building and it's interior was quite outdated and the rooms were average but clean. Very secure and staff were nice. A safe option.

Nice Hostel, friendly staff, great people.

Thank you very much for your review! We are really glad to hear we made your experience in Manchester a good one!! We really hope to see you again soon here for more fun!! :)

Unfortunately we had a problem with bed allocation which wasn't a problem and was sorted; however the member of staff dealing with the problem was uncooperative and refused to provide clean sheets so one of our group was forced to sleep on a dirty bed. This also caused disruption in the early hours of the morning for all the guests in the dorm which was unnecessary and embarrassing.

Good hostel but a tad noisy since its right next to the street, although it's understandable since the place is in the middle of the city.

We are right there, in the heart of the city where absolutely everything happens!! Thank you for staying with us!! Come back soon!!

Decent hostel right near Manchester Piccadilly station and very close to some really good night life. Staff are all very helpful.

Good location. Good common room, good kitchen. People should stop complaining about having to walk the stairs because there is no lift! It's only stairs, they won't hurt you!!

it's very good. and staffs are very kind.

Second time I've stayed here. The location is great. The staff were friendlier this time around. Bathrooms clean but there is no privacy. You have to get completely nude in front of everyone. Dorms are spacious but very noisy as are right next to a busy street. Love the free breakfast.

Great location

Hello Hello!! As you mentioned in your review, we are really proud of our location. Really close to all public transport and also completely immerse in the trendiest vibes of Manchester, which represent this city the best. We are glad you saw all this. Hope to see you soon in Hatters again.

Helpful staff. Conveniently located. Good free breakfast. Will come back next time.

I liked a lot the possibility to cook and to store the food in fridge. The staff was very nice. It would be great to have a place where to do morning stretches. I also enjoyed to have wireless connection to internet. Thank you Hatters hostel! Best wishes, Nina

• 29th Jul 2013
  • Slovenia

Awww thank you so much for such a lovely review. It's been a great pleasure to have you here as a guest. Remember for next time that you could enjoy the TV room on the first floor early in the morning to do your stretches as the space is pretty big and always really quiet in the morning. Come back soon!! :))

I wasn't thrilled that WiFi outside of the bottom floor was not free, but then it turned out that the Wi-Fi didn't work for the entire time I was there. This made it difficult to make any plans around the city (they didn't have any maps) and made it so I had to pay 76 pounds for my train back to London because I couldn't book it ahead of time.

Thank you for leaving a comment. We do apologise for any inconvenience cause to your plans and trip. Yes we had a big problem with internet the weekend of your stay although we kept saying in reception to everyone that with the voucher you could have used the free internet in our sister hostel just round the corner. Plus, our location is great, we are surrounded by many many bars and cafes where Wi-Fi is also free. ;) Next time just ask where to go in reception. We are happy to help:)!

The Wifi was down when I stayed and the beds had bugs...

Like the free breakfast offered by Hatter, which includes fresh fruits, yogurts, and toasts with jam or butter. Coffee was a bit not good though. Bad thing was that there were no electric sockets near our bed, so need to charge up everything in canteen where there are sockets or in the room where sockets are in a distance. The washrooms and showers are not on the same floor as the room, so it is a bit troublesome to go.

Thank you for the review. First of all I would like to apologise for the inconvenience we cause by allocating you in a different floor from your bedroom. We always try to allocate people in the most convenient way but sometimes on a busy weekend is not always possible. Don't forget next time to come to reception for any other problems, like the power sock as well! We are always happy to help. :))

it's a very nice hostel... the place is big, the rooms are big... although i need to walk upstairs to go back to my room, which is on the fifth floor, i think the place is lovely... i have met a lot of friends here... i can say this hostel is one of the best hostels in the uk!

Yay!!! That's great! We are so happy to hear that. That's the kind of atmosphere we always try to aim at for our guests. With regards to the five floors, we always want our guests to do some free exercise ;) with Hatters there is no need to pay extra for a gym! :)) Thank you for staying with us, come back soon!!