Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Stayed in the same hostel before but the free wifi in the main reception did not work at all despite being detected by my phone and my friends' too. Nevertheless a good place but they have started to charge money for lockers, which was free last time.

Hello there, first of all thank you for staying with us and thank you for coming back. We didn't start charging for lockers, the lockers on the ground floor are free if you own a padlock. What we charge is the padlock rent as it happen before that people would just not return it. We are sorry about the wifi. You could have used the free one in our sister hostel, the Hilton Chambers, although we managed to sort it out, eventually. :)) Come back soon!!

Elevators didn't work, Room wa very small Hard to work of where toilets were

Hey there, our antique Elavator does work but its a service lift only. We can still put any guest bags in there if you needed to. We are open 24 hours if you need a chat about how things work and were things are. We are happy to help.

The hostel is a big block of flats of its own in a very central location. It's ok for a party hostel but sleep in a dormitory is quite difficult. Breakfast was a good plus but otherwise the amenities vere pretty poor. The beds are uncomfortable, and there is no possibility to store your stuff anywhere but downstairs. Wifi didn't work for most of the stay. The staff is polite but somewhat indifferent.

Nice place to meet people, although my roommates made it impossible to sleep at night, laughing and yelling till late. Still, it was a good value for money.

Hello there and thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your sleepless nights. For next time, remember: 1_Buy earplugs 2_If someone is seriously misbehaving, come to reception and inform us, we are always happy to help :)) Thank you for staying at Hatters!!

First time I stayed here I loved it! The second time I stayed I had just showered and gotten into my pyjamas. I went to get in my room and my card wouldn't open my room. There are signs everywhere saying if you get locked out you can ring the buzzer and someone would come up to help you.Rang it three times waited ten minutes to be rudely told downstairs with wet hair and no bra that there was no point ringing the buzzer because I wasn't allowed to use the lift.. Even though that's not why I rang

• 23rd Jul 2013

Hello there. Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that. We are glad you enjoyed your first stay at least. Anyway with regards to the lift issue. if you rang several times and no one came upstairs to see you it's probably because in reception it could have been very busy. As you might have noticed, sometimes there is just one person on and it is hard to make everyone happy 100%. We do apologise for any inconvenience cause anyway. Hope to see you again, third time lucky!!! :)

Excellent place to stay. Great location and value, especially with the free tea, coffee, and toast. Clean kitchen, rooms, and bathrooms. Most of staff very helpful and friendly. Most people are quite young backpackers, but all ages are welcome.

• 23rd Jul 2013

Excellent guest! Thank you for your comments, free food and drink is something we like to take advantage of ourselves. Happy to here you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you at Hatters again :))

This hostel is an entire building---it's a very crowded, big-business hostel. Sleeping in the 16 person bedroom gave very bad sleep. Maybe it'd be better in a smaller room.

Hi, yes our hostel is a bit of a giant- big old industrial-style building which gives it a pretty unique charm! We like to think there's a sociable atmosphere so it can be a bit busy sometimes too.. We do have a variety of rooms available so if you would have liked to change ask our staff any time- reception is 24hours! Thanks for leaving your comment :)

Only stayed for one night as was passing through. Breakky was good, room was good. Only powerpoints near some beds which was annoying- no powerpoints in bathroom either. Wifi logged out a lot but could still use it :) would stay again.

HII thanks for leaving your comment! We take breakfast very seriously here- it's the most important meal of the day you know.. so glad you enjoyed it :). If you have any problems with the wifi just let us know and we'll do our best to get onto the techies to sort it out! Hope to see you at Hatters again sometime :)

Good hostel. Nice open common room that's great for meeting people. My only complaint is the showers which worked by pushing a button to give you 30 seconds of water, which is cool, but the water was Very hot. Tolerable after the initial heat.

Hey, thanks for your comment! Yeah the common room's great we like it! Ah HOT showers are usually a respite from the wet manchester weather but we'll get Martin our maintenance man to have a look!! Hope to see you at Hatters again!

Location is good, 5 min. walk to train/bus station and shopping center. Breakfast is included, coffee/tea and bread are always free. A basic hostel with common area, kitchen, and enough bathrooms.

Hello there! Thank you for your review. Our location it is pretty good, yes :) and our FREE teas, coffees and toasts all day is our Masterpiece ;)! We also have many activities during the week, we hope you got the chance to enjoy them and to make the most out of Hatters!! :))

Staff were very friendly and helpful

:) The very friendly and helpful staff says HI and THANK YOU!! We are really happy to hear we managed to make your stay a nice stay. We are always ready to help with anything as much as we can! Hope to see you again soon at Hatters!!

I went to their hostel in Manchester and Liverpool; I particularly preferred the hostel in Liverpool. This hostel is an average place.

Hello there!! Thank you for your comment. Yes, we are pretty proud of our sister hostel in Liverpool. In Manchester yes, we are slightly different but that's what characterizes us. Our old building is a perfect image of the Mancunian's industrial era, which fits also with the whole style of the Northern Quarter (area of the city center the hostel lays on). Hope to see you again in one of our hostels soon. :))

Hatters was one of the best hostels I stayed in. the bathrooms were always clean and I never had to wait. The staff were really friendly and willing to help you out with anything you need. The atmosphere is great if you're backpacking alone or in a small group because you meet a lot of cool people in the hostel. And the staff does a great job at planning events every day to get people from the hostel to meet each other.

GOOD STUFF! glad you enjoyed your stay, you're welcome back to Hatters any time! Thanks for your comments :)

Was ok for 3 nights with earplugs. I could sleep. But beside to my room was a TV-room and that was really noisy.

Being in the heart of Manchester it can get pretty noisy here, but worth it for our great location!!.. Ear plugs are a good shout! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

the hostel is located close to the Northern Quarter, which is perfect if you want to got our for drinks or food in the evenings. The staff was really nice and helpful. We stayed in an 18 bed dorm and our beds were taken. We were given other beds, which were also taken and had to switch again, which was a little annoying. Besides that really nice hostel, very clean.

Bed-hopping bunnies, apologies for the mix-up.. people occasionally like to swap and change beds without telling us! Glad you enjoyed your stay over all!! Thanks for your comments :)

Great place, never stayed in a hostel before, I was warned off the idea by people's past experiences but after going here I'd definitely do it again. Also, Manchester is a great city!

• 7th Jul 2013

Thank you so much for leaving a review. Manchester it is a great place and we love it!! We are so happy you had a great time. Come back soon for another great Hatters' experience!! :))

Dirty toilets and a horribly awkward silence each time we were in the common rooms. Nobody would interact.

• 1st Jul 2013
  • Norway

Hey, thanks for your review. Although we are a big hostel with a really massive flow of people coming and going, our housekeeping staff works really hard to keep everything really tidy and clean. Also, we always encourage everyone to spend time in the common room and we always keep the music on, maybe it was a quiet weekend that one ;)) We are really sorry that it didn't quite work out for you, so we apologise for any inconvenience cause. :)

Great staff and free toast! Wi-fi was good and so were the facilities.

The free toast it's our "ace in the hole"! And we love how we all still get over excited by informing all the guests about it. :) Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again in Hatters!

The toilets were not clean, and the shower stalls are about three feet away from the towel pegs, so you have to drip your way over! The sinks were a bit rusty and dirty looking, high time they got replaced. Lockers have to be rented and are available only on the ground floor near the reception, so they aren't easy to access. Wish the dorms were equipped with personal lockers, there was plenty of space inside for them. Not enough power outlets, just four in a dorm that accommodates ten.

The kitchen is a little bit small, buta it's oky, since there's no more then 3 people at time. The taps of the bathrooms sinks are uncomfortable 'cause there's not enogh space to actually wash your hands or toothbrush. The beds are a bit noisy.

• 28th Jun 2013