Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

An older building that needs some updating. Very drafty in the bathrooms and showers. Mouldy smell. Not all the taps work in the bathroom. The included breakfast is very sparce. Kichen is very basic. Internet only in the common room which has a lack of seating. No lift available so have to lug luggage up multiple floors. Location is probably the only good thing about it. I would try the other hatters down the road.

Our building IS very old, and we will take into account that we may need to have a close inspection of anything causing drafts, especially come winter! Thank you for bringing that to our attention :) Our kitchen has plates and glasses, cutlery, hobs, pots and pans, cutting boards.......but we will definitely install the ice cream machine and electric whisk as soon as we can ;)

They didn't refund overpaid night unlikely :(

• 30th Oct 2013
  • Poland

Believe it or not, we're not thieves, and only charge our guests in the event of a no-show or late cancellation (and even then we don't enjoy it). If you have a valid reason to believe that we over charged you, PLEASE get in touch so we can do something about it!

Perfect stay with a brilliant breakfast and 24/7 toast and tea. Awesome location in the middle of the city center. Thank you guys of the hatters

• 30th Oct 2013

Thank you so much for your review!!! Really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!! Happy Days!!

I stayed here when I was visiting London. It took me 5 hours to get there each day. This is more suitable for people staying in Manchester. Great hostel.

• 29th Oct 2013

The hostel is old and dirty. Often there is no paper in the toilets. A little part of the roof fallen down in the bathroom when someone was in. You have to pay for using computers and the wifi didn't work when I arrived. The kitchen is very small.

• 27th Oct 2013

The building is indeed old, but we love it for that! We do however take hygiene seriously and endeavor to keep the common spaces and room as neat and tidy as possible. Sometimes in the evenings when our housekeepers have gone home, the guests can be a little messy, but we keep an eye on this and guests can always come up to reception if we've missed something, we don't bite :)

Stayed at Hatters many times, however during my recent stay the 1st floor male toilets where disgusting. Told reception twice but nothing happened. Hatters is always good value for money and even though not happy this time will stay again when next in Manchester.

• 18th Oct 2013

Hi there. Thank you for leaving your feedback! We have been so busy lately it's been unbelievable. We do apologise if it took long to sort the toilets out and we promise we will do our best to keep them immaculate for next time you'll come back! Please do come back! :) Hope to see you soon again.

The small rooms get very hot at night, found it difficult to sleep

You must have been staying while Manchester was having it's mid-life crisis....it is much cooler now, and we'll try to prepare for any abnormal weather conditions next year :)

I found the hostel good and most of the staff are very helpful. A good place for solo travelers with a sociable common room. However a particular night staff member could be more polite with noise requests, not scream at people to let them know its after 10pm.

Sweet hostel, a few guests were extremely stupid with the staff when I was there and the staff could deal really well with the situation. Besides that they were very helpful, location is good, very clean bathrooms and FREE TOASTS all day long!

Constantly running out of toilet paper in the women's washrooms. Noise from the street was loud although I was on the 5th floor. Breakfast is good and staff are nice. Location is amazing.

• 11th Oct 2013

we dont like our room located at 5th floor and we hv to walk up and down. the toilet is not clean, hot water is too hot, cold water is too cokd

• 11th Oct 2013
  • Malaysia

not the best hostel i stayed in my life, but i can see that this is be the best in hostel in Manchester.

Hatters on Newton is awful beyond comprehension. I have been travelling for eight months straight, and have never stayed in a place so miserable. The disgruntled staff banished me to a dungeon - like dorm room, filled with sick obese people ranging from 45 - 60 years old. The coughing fits and midnight symphonies of flatchulence from my room mates was a living, naseating nightmare. As if the inhumanely uncomfortable mattess wasnt bad enough. Don't stay here. Don't.

I just for 1 night, though I have to say place location n staff are the best side, breakfast included but just average, however, the big downs were cleanliness in room and having showers

Our location is TOP of the TOPS and POPS :) Thank you for your lovely review! Come back soon to Hatters!!

Overall pleasent stay. Friendly people all around.

We hope you joint the PUB CRAWL too!! That is our Masterpiece over the weekend. We love to have friendly and happy guests! It really makes our day better!! Thank you for your review and come back soon!!

Comfortable bed, felt nice and safe. Would stay again!

• 2nd Oct 2013
  • Wales

Come back again!! And bring all your friends with you this time!! :) Lovely review, thank you! Hope to see you soon in Hatters!!

Was clean but has old facilities. I did not feel safe in the area of the city, but there was security. Very expensive for what is was. Breakfast was not impressive.

Hey thanks for your review! Our prices are not as expensive all the time! They are very much variable depending on how busy we are and what events are on in the city! You must have picked the expensive weekend! Hope you enjoyed your stay thou!

Thank you very much, we had an excellent time

Thank you for choosing us!! Our goal is to make everyone's stay a memorable one! Hope to see you soon with all your friends!

Bathrooms - nowhere to hang anything. Need hooks Showers kept going off, had to keep pushing button every 7 secs Toilets - not easy to flush Regularly running out of breakfast stuff: butter, jam, fruit, kitchen towels, ... Cutlery holder - very dirty. Had to rinse cutlery in hot water Film night did not happen - waited for 45 mins then gave up - no apology! There is a sign saying if want to know good places to go to ask at reception. Very abruptly told to go to tourist info.

• 30th Sep 2013

Free tea, coffee and toast 24/7 was a huge plus for me. Also 24/7 access to the hostel was good. Good nights sleep every night. Never had 2 wait 4 a shower or toilet. I accidentally checked out 3 hours late, but they didnt charge me any extra, much appreciated. The hostel will lock away your bags if u want, very handy, but staff dont always check u r taking your own bag when you come to collect it - a little worrying for me, since I had a bag stolen a few weeks before. Very happy overall.

Thank you for your review! We try our best to check on the bags, really, but sometimes is really hard when it gets really busy! I know that there are dishonest people out there but we trust all our guest! :) Come back soon!!