Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Staff were very accommodating, location was brilliant, wanted to stay longer, not a problem. Overall, extremely happy with stay

Thank you so much!!! We do our best to help you guys out, and the Northern Quarter where we're located is AWE-some. Come back soon dahling :)

Showers cold and last only 20 seconds or so (per button press). Additional wall sockets in each room by the beds (for phones and cameras) would be good Window wouldn't close in our room

While our hot water system is in good working condition, the temperature tends to struggle a bit on mornings where everyone is trying to get a shower at the same time, apologies for that!! if you get unclosable windows etc., please come down to reception so we can give you a hand or get our maintenance fella to sort it out!

Was just here for an overnight stop before an early morning train, so didn't get to experience much. A nice place, had all we needed.

Was only here for one night, good breakfast, free wifi, kitchen facilities, big common room

We gots all you need!

i really enjoyed the hostell , but please work on your staff the russian guy at night , he need to work on his behavior especially when i am arriving at night , in general i had good time thank you for the girls at desk that were very nicely. best regards aviran chen

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • Israel

Gosh, our night guy is usually the sweetest guy you could ever wish to meet! He must have been having a bad night, just a one-off I'm sure............................... We're glad you appreciated everyone else's manners though and that you had a good time :D Come back soon!

Hostel was really welcoming, nice open happy vibrant reception, great location close enough to walk to northern quarter. We did get told off for playing loud music at around 10pm (it was very loud). The showers were lovely on the friday evening but luke warm both sat and sunday mornings. I would recommend and i would stay there again.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We generally ask that guests keep it down after 11pm, but if it was very loud we may have intervened so that people could listen to other music if they wanted to :) We only allow EXTREMELY loud music if it's the Grease soundtrack, in particular the song 'Hopelessly Devoted To You'.

Showers activate on a tap which must be held in to keep going. The timer of this could be just a little bit longer! I could barely get washed in time. My only complaint.

• 20th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Oh dear, this does seem to get on peoples nerves but it saves water! Plus if you develop the knack of just leaning back when it needs pressing its quite simple really! I tried to come up with shower related lyrics to the song Lean Back, but I couldn't. Your turn.

The beds might not have been the most comfortable ones that I've slept on and the button in the showers needs to be pushed every ten(!) seconds. Add a night warden (Bruno) who was as obstinate as a mule to that and you'll still find me recommending this hostel to everyone who intends to spend a couple of days in Manchester. The common areas are well equipped and are great places to hang out in and to meet people. And Natalia was the best hostess I could have wished for. Thanks a lot guys!

Haha, our beds make you a stronger, more learned individual, the shower saves the world that little bit of water, and Bruno....... is a character? A self-willed and determined character, let's leave it at that ;) We're glad you had such an awesome time, and here's to all our guests who can see the brighter side of life :D

Friendly informative guy at the desk.

• 9th Nov 2013

Cheers for the review, we'll help you guys out as much as we can :)

Toilets need to be cleaned regularly, sanitary bins need to be emptied. bedroom doors can only be locked by slamming shut, so keeps people awake at night and in the morning, just sort this out!

Like most doors, we find that if you hold the handle down and give it a little pull it tends to shut discreetly, our old building just needs a little patience :) As for cleanliness, we do have housekeeping staff that tend to the toilets every morning and afternoon, however when it's just reception staff on it's hard to chase after our guests and make sure they're being respectfully hygienic!

A group of 7 of us stayed here the night of Warehouse Project. We had an 8 bed dorm to ourselves, the room was clean and spacious and perfect for what we needed it for. The bathroom was across the corridor but that didn't pose a problem at all. The shower room was great, clean, hot showers perfect for a hangover. The hostel provides tea and toast 24 hours a day. The common room was lively with a range of things to do. I'd definitely stay here again.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Wales

I think I would have a heart attack caused by overheating if I had a hot shower on a hangover. But each to their own haha we're glad you had a cosy morning after :) We're perfect for things like Warehouse, a bed to crash in and staff who can sympathize with you in the morning, not too mention the free toast to soak up all the liquor! See you next time :)

It is a wood floor without carpet. The floor is quite easy to be got dirty. The room is decorated with black and white color seem very sad when stay in that room. The lift is not allowed to be used...because it is too old to do the job....That ' s all. Anyway, It 's location is near Piccadilly.....

Hi! We think it's better that we can see the dirt and sweep it up than carpeted floor where dirt can stick and hide! Our lift is something of a centerpiece in our old building - it is 100 years old and seeing as we care about your safety we don't allow guests to use it, but if you need help with your luggage we are happy to bring it up/down. It is too beautiful to board up!

The best thing was that the staff was very friendly and helpful. Things that could have been improved was the very drafty and cold ladies room, the lack of places to sit and eat in the common area (since every seat was taken by people with laptops), and also it was really complicated to use the wifi, even if the staff tried to help I gave up.

• 6th Nov 2013
  • Sweden

Our wi-fi should be a simple case of entering a password, however it often happens with travelers that there are so many networks in the wi-fi history that some devices end up trying to cling on to the past and don't allow you to move on :(

For a sign on the wall that encourages your guests to ask directions and questions about the city, Hatter's staff just tell you to go to go to the vistors centre in town. Not much help at all. Your ad on hostel world should clearly state when you do pub crawls and walking tours as for the 4 days I stayed none of these activities were offered. Ps the place is an ice box!!! So cold!!

Most of our reviews highlight how helpful we are, so I'm not sure what went wrong here - we truly apologize! Our activities run every night except Sunday, and usually happen in the TV lounge on the first floor or in the common room. We do have a new, lovely hostess called Natalia so I can only assume that you stayed with us during the changeover where things may have gotten a little messy for a couple of days!

I stayed 2 nights at the Hostel. It's not the newest bulifing (bathroom is old and shabby) but I found it quite good to get a light breakfast/snack (including toast, tea and coffee, orange juice, yoghurt and cereal) for free and the distance to Manchester Central is great (you can walk to the main sites)! So for a short visit it's good value for money!

• 3rd Nov 2013

Our building has certainly lasted through the ages but we think it's beautiful and therefore look after it as best we can :) We're glad you enjoyed our free breakfast, plus the coffee, tea and toast that is available 24/7!! Thanks for your review :)

+: Location is great, staff is very helpfull. -: Very cold inside, towels costs 2 pounds, only 2 toilets for all guests.

Hello there. I think we have more than 2 toilets per all the guests in house ;) We have male showers and toilet on 1st 3rd and 5th floor and then you can find female showers and toilets on 2nd and 4th floor, plus we have a few unisex toilets on the ground floor just next door to the kitchen...maybe you got confused a little! Thank you for your review. Hope you had a good time! :)

It's too noisy during the night,,,because of the pipes? or something...hard to fall asleep.....

Hey, thank you for leaving a review! Our old building makes weird noises that you cannot notice that much during the day. He is a bit grumpy and he needs to complaint at night sometimes ;) Next time remember to ask form some earplugs in reception. We are always happy to help!!

Breakfast and kitchen area was nice. There were never ever toilet paper in toilets and the toilets was very dirty and there were puke in bathroom sink for three days. One of the beds were broken, and no one seemed to care about it, they just put a next person in it. And bedrooms were extremely cold. But its cheep and in good place.

Uh....not sure what went wrong here?!?! We sound a little bit like a worn down asylum and this is worrying and new to me!! Our HK team do their utmost to keep things tidy and hygienic, but we can't keep them here 24/7 so when they're not around we rely on guests to be respectful. We do really need guests to let us know when there are issues they have, as we are not psychic and a lot of the time are only informed about these things 5 days later when we're unable to do anything :(

The bathrooms were horrible and they were very dirty! No paper, no soap... There was noise during all the night (from the street and from the hostel, due to a party). When I arrived, I found almost all the guests in the kitchen-living room. They were drinking alcohol and most of them drunk. I don't recommend you this hostel if you wants to rest.

Drunk? On holiday?! Blasphemy. ..A hostel wouldn't be my personal preference for somewhere to get some rest, but if you were looking for a quieter place you might try our other hostel down the road, which has a little more of a 'hotel-y' feel than Hatters. And remember if you ever need anything we're on reception 24/7 and usually have a toilet roll or two up our sleeves or balancing on our heads.

soo much fun and made friends for life

• 31st Oct 2013

Hahaha that's amazing!! That's the kind of review that makes our days here at Hatters. Hopefully we will see you again soon in house!!!!! :)