Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

We booked Hatters at the last minute so that may be why it was really expensive. Pros - great location to see the sites and go out at night; convenient breakfast (which was well stocked even though we didn't get there until 9.30). Cons - 22 pounds for a ten person dorm that doesn't have power points or lockers wasn't value for money; the dorm was up a massive flight of stairs; shared bathroom is freezing cold and there were only two girls toilets for the floor; no real communal space.

Hi guys!! The most likely reason that your stay was expensive may have been due to the fact that it was New Year's Eve...we try to keep cheap but our prices can go up in high demand times! Our dorms do have power points and there are also some in our 24/7 common rooms, just ask us if you can't find them :) We apologise for the stairs, we can't let go of our beloved antique lift!!

I enjoyed my stay. The place is just next to the centre. The showers where a bit cold... but still OK. I would stay there again.

Thank you!! Let us know if you ever have any issues like that - we'll see what we can do :)

Lockers in the room would be nice. Conveniently close to main bus station. Breakfast was decent. Rooms and bathrooms were a bit old but ok.

Rooms were pretty dusty and the washroom was quite cold. No outlets in the room that I could see! It would also be nice if the elevator could be used by guests; however, I recognize that this would require a new elevator as the existing one is quite rickety! Staff was helpful and allowed me to store my luggage until check in, and the location was perfect for catching trains, coaches or local buses. A decent stay, though could be better.

Heya! Thanks so much for leaving a review - our lift is of sentimental value and so beautiful we would hate to get rid of it, but of course we don't mind bringing your luggage up and down when needs be :) We do have outlets in the rooms and also in the communal areas which are open 24/7. We hope we can indeed make your stay better if you happen to come again though!!!!

Well located for nightlife, shopping and culture with all major transport connections nearby. Unfortunately, another English hostel below standards with what European counterparts offer. Was a crash pad for clubbing for our stay.

good place

Thanks!!!!!

clean room, very nice female shower room, perfect location. But be prepared to do stairs

• 24th Jan 2014

*Be prepared to EXERCISE. We're helping you work off all your holiday booze and ready-made meals ;)

The location is the main reason to stay here....close to both bus and train stations plus access to the city. If staying in a dorm do take ear plugs if you like sleeping...some of the snoring is on another level!

Its time to make repair

Haha we're working on it we promise! Slow but steady ;)

Very helpful staff. Comfy, central and will definately be back.

• 15th Jan 2014

Thank you, we really appreciate our guests taking note of our hard work - we really do our best! We'll see you soon :)

I would not recommend this place for a longer stay than one night - although the mattress was way better than the one in the Hatters in Liverpool. It was not very clean and some of the facilities seem to have been there for 150years. The staff was nice though.

Nonono, it only gets better baby! Anyway don't be silly, our building was built in 1900 so our facilities have only been there 114 years. I suppose our toaster is a little older though, having been invented in 1893.

had a very nice stay at this hostel. enjoyed having lockers and particularly appreciated the staff putting numbers on luggage in the luggage room, very few hostels do that and security is important to me. bathrooms were clean and fine but a hassle for the girls in my group since they were on another floor from the room. didnt have trouble sleeping due to noise like other reviewers

I stayed on New Years day so this may have something to do with the poor rating. The showers are dirty, smelly and you can't control the temp. I rented a towel which was very small and malted. Shortage of padlocks for the lockers when I first arrived. The 18 bed dorm is not nice to stay in, noisy and dirty (again, could be time of the year). You only have WiFi in the common room unless you pay £5 or more and the common room was dirty. I have stayed around the world, possibly the worst vs price.

......The hostel is closed over Christmas so when we re-open I must admit that things are a little hectic! With our prices, I'm afraid we follow suit with the rest of the accomodation costs in Manchester, but always keep our prices lower than theirs, I promise!

No free lockers to put your stuff whilst away from the bed

We've spent a day in Manchester and we got there really early. The staff was friendly and great. The hostel is actually a chain of hostels so the charm goes away a little bit especially if you stayed in other places called the same :) Overall it was totally worth the money. Cons: 35% Cold in the room :) but thats the UK

Yay thank you very much!! We do have other Hatters Hostels.........but only three! Not quite Starbucksy yet! You can leave this review again when our plan to take over the world succeeds ;)

We stayed here just to watch the soccer! was a great place very friendly big chill out area with pool table etc!

The hostel is good. But the amount of stair to get to the room is more than enough to make you get breathless. The location is not perfect, but it's not so far from the Piccadilly Station. The breakfast is very good and you can use the kitchen aswell.

be careful when booking a room for two people, there was a very load boiler (pipe) noise sounding constantly in our room, we ask to be moved some where else.

• 19th Dec 2013

Hatters at Hilton Chambers is our sister hostel 2 minutes walk from Hatters, and with more of a hotel feel, our rooms cost a few pounds more. We moved you to this hostel and gave you a private, triple room for the same price, and made sure with you that everything was now okay. We are sorry that you still only felt us worthy of 50%, as we really did the best we could to rectify the situation.

Nice hostel to stay the night, not much to do though. Close to the Victoria Train Station and is in a walking distance from points of interest like Westminster.

Considering that there is no such thing as Westminster near us, and that there is an absolutely brilliant variety of things to do in Manchester....I'm going to assume this review does not belong to us ;)

Overall the hostel is great. Good staff, good atmosphere, cool look and style and the kitchen made available for cooking is certainly a plus. However, although there were signs spread around encouraging the guests to warn the staff whenever something was dirty, the place was not clean enough. I felt that the other guests were not neat and were always dirtying up the place. So I would suggest arranging things in a way that either make guests really do what they are supposed to do.

Taken into account....this would be extremely convenient for us too :p maybe we could set up a parenting school?