Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Hostel in an old building in the middle of Manchester. Stayed in a very simple private room (without a sink). Pretty OK if all you want is a place to leave your suitcase in the morning and rest your bones at night. Shared bathroom is really shared (large room with individual stall showers). Lift too old to operate. Nice breakfast and cool/patient staff.

Great place to stay in manchester, staff was very nice an the lounge was awesome, showers and toilets were up to standards, Great Location too

Wow!! I can smell a happy guest over there!! :) Thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to your return in Hatters!! We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Brilliant hostel. Free bread and tea all day was a MAJOR plus, especially since it rained so often, forcing me to stay indoors. The TV room is great and exactly what you would want from a hostel. PRECISELY what you're looking for in a hostel, I would say. Lots of stairs though - I would not recommend at all for those who are unable or unwilling to constantly be going up and down stairs. All in all though, I was really impressed by this hostel. Met some brilliant people as well! A+

The kitchen is spacious. There are free bread provided the whole day, which is generous. The free breakfast is very nice, consisting of fruits, juice, milk, bread, etc. It would be even better if the milk is heated. Two things to further improve on are: firstly, free internet access in the room, and secondly the toilet, cause the water cannot be flushed easily.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and got the most out of our breakfast! Just a tip for next time.....feel free to heat up your milk in either a pan or in the microwave!! :))

Seems to be one of the main hostels in Manchester, It was a bit hard to mix with people everyone seemed to be on the WIFI. I did make a few good friends and we had some tips on where to go from the stuff. Stairs are a bit of a killer but im not going to complain about that. Free toast all day was a winner.

located in a great part of manchester, would stay there again.

Location is great, but there is only wifi in the common room & it sucks! you can purchase in room wifi which is a bit of a rip.. they organised a good walking tour on the tuesday though and the location is amazing. The showers are ok except they have a timer so you are turning it on all the time...beds are ok but it can get noisy at night in the rooms if you are facing the street. all in all a good place to stay for a couple of days.

The people at the reception were very kind and helpfully. But the beds and the mattresses were awful! It was incredibly uncomfortable. I got headache and backache. It was impossible to got sleep! And the floor in the room was dirty!!! Even after cleaning (if they cleaned it at all) by the staff. Furthermore I had to pay for a dirty and stinky towel. The building is leaky so it was cold and loud in the night.

• 16th Sep 2013

I was on the 5th floor after running a 1/2 marathon that day, with a lift that could only be used for staff!!!

• 15th Sep 2013

Nice place for backpacker..near to bus

• 14th Sep 2013
  • Malaysia

There should be away to pass information around to guests. I could not come back with some items and there is no way to ask possibly someone was with those items, even just to ask the cleaners no way. That was why I could not reply the review since, because I left the place confused. Apart from this is a good place.

Spent there a couple of nights and was happy of the location (very convenient for everything I wanted to do in Manchester) and the room (I had a single). Two problems: my keycard kept malfunctioning so I had to go four times in two days to the reception to fix it and I was on the 4th floor (no elevator). VERY unconvenient. Second problem: people kept on making huge amounts of noise in the wee hours (4-5 in the morning)... the quiet time should be enforced better by staff.

• 13th Sep 2013

Great hostel, showers and bathrooms were a bit shaky but the rooms and staff were fantastic and I really enjoyed my stay and felt welcome.

• 12th Sep 2013

First time staying in a hostel, I found it to be a delight. The staff were great, and what I saw of the facilities were lovely. I felt safe the whole time and never worried about the few belongings I left about.

• 12th Sep 2013

Toilets could be kept a little more tidier. The staffs at reception were excellent. Thank You.

There was a little issue concerning payment, and turned out I made a mistake. But a female receptionist who was sitting there (British, Blonde, tall and skinny figure) looked always grumpy whenever she sees me and even didn't open the main gate one time (Hilton Chambers Manchester). and I heard she was talking loud on the terrace at late night time about 'the girl who irritated her' and she was real pain in the neck during my stay.

• 9th Sep 2013
  • South Korea

There is no elevator for the clients because the elevator is an antique style. The staff brings your luggage up for you. The Picadilly Garden tram station is nearby & the Imperial War Museum is a must to see. There is a continental breakfast. We enjoyed our stay there. We would stay there again.

Good: Great location, just around the corner from Picadilly Station. Friendly atmosphere. Beds clean and comfy enough. Staff friendly and helpful. Luggage store. Bad: Wifi patchy. Breakfast sparse. More seating needed in communal room. More plug sockets needed in 18 bed room.

I stayed at Hatters Hostel for 3 nights and I have to say that while the security, location, facilities and cleanliness were all in order, the atmosphere wasn't great. Maybe that was just me, but I didn't really enjoy my stay.

Nice free breakfast and lounge area. My only compliant is I wish the wifi was free everywhere and not just in the lounge, but other than that it was a good experience.