Hatters on Newton Street Reviews

50 Newton Street, Manchester, England

Great location.

The hostel has special event every day. That's cool. On the date of my staying which was Tuesday, there was a free dinner and "American Pie 2" was played in the TV room. The only thing which was not so good was that the door of the dorm and door to the WC/shower room were too noisy, and the shower faucet was in press type which was annoying as that night was quite cold. However overall it was a pleasant stay over there. : )

We are pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay! Ah, Tuesday's food and cinema night, what a treat! Free (WHAT?!) activities we offer on other nights, run by our dedicated Hostel Host, Caitlin (shipped in from fun-loving Australia on a reverse convict scheme) include a Games night on Wednesdays, Civilized Northern Quarter bar crawl on Thursdays, a walking tour on Saturdays. And then there's bar crawls on Friday and Saturday nights if, like Depeche Mode, you just can't get enough!

We stayed here only for one night, but the hostel is amazing value for money. Right bang on in the city centre, close to everything. A few minutes from Manchester Piccadilly, ideal if going to the airport.

Thanks for the review guys! We pride ourselves on 3 things, our prices - the fairest in all the land; our location - on said land; and our speling! But seriously we keep track of the going rate in town to ensure our prices remain the most competitive, and we walked around in a circle several times, just like a dog would, before placing our building smack bang in the Northern Quarter, close to Manchester's best bars, train stations, shopping and the Football museum.

So so noisy, beds pretty uncomfy. Was supposed to stay in Manchester for a full day but left first thing as I was so tired from staying in this hostel. In need of updating and a good clean!

Sorry to hear that you had to leave so soon. Admittedly, being so central, noise will invariably creep through our walls without even asking, and we do like to see our guests enjoy themselves (with respect to our more sleep keen guests of course) in our common areas, so free earplugs are available at reception should the noise become noisy.

VERY DIRTY! It seems that you haven't cleaned this place for ages! TERRIBLE bed as well (very hard)! The staff was not polite with me as well. BAD INTERNET as well! I DO NOT recommend this place! (At least it was cheap!)

We're sorry to hear you didn't fully enjoy your experience at Hatters. If you ever find yourself here again (we are irresistible) please don't hesitate to let staff know of any inconveniences and we are happy to do our best to make your stay a comfortable one, our night guys sometimes even read bed time stories. Not to guests. Just to each other throughout the night.

As this was my first time staying in a hostel, I don't have much basis for comparison, but as first times go I was happy with my stay. Only thing I missed was outlets by all the beds (don't especially feel like leaving my phone or iPad next to a stranger's bed for the night, and most of the time they were in use by the people sleeping there, anyway).

We're thrilled that you chose to sleep with Hatters for your first time! Gladder still that you were happy with our performance, and are poised to be overjoyed should you come back for more! If in need of power outlets, our common areas are fully charged with power outlets to create an environment in which our wonderful guests can leave their gadgets to their own devices while they absorb each others wonderfulness!

Please please please fix the lift, I was on the fifth floor and dragging my case up and down those stairs was pure torture.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Oh no! We're sorry you had such a struggle! It's not that the lift is broken, but because it is over 100 years old, we can't have it insured for guest use. Next time, just come ask at reception, as staff can use the lift to take your bag up and down for you!!

That was awesome because there were so many other brony in your hostel, I hope I will be here next year

• 22nd Aug 2014

We love the Bronies! And we hope to have you all back next year as well!! :)

Well located hostel, comfortable beds. Only downturns: There are too few sockets and the lockers should be bigger and inside the dorms, not on the corridor.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We keep the lockers outside of the rooms in the corridors so that we can have CCTV surveillance on them at all times, so your things are extra secure! Thanks for your feedback, we hope to have you with us again! :)

Good place for a nights stay (or more, I only stayed one night). Very friendly staff and well organized set-up.

• 14th Aug 2014

Thanks, we liked you too! Come say hi again when you come back to Manchester!

The hostel seemed very dirty and noisy. Our room was alocated in the fifth floor and they didnt have elevator. The room was very small, without even one window that you could open fully and seemed very very old and dirty. At night a strange noise (maybe from the "broken" elevator) kept us asleep. The shared toilets werent on the same floor and I had to go one floor down to use the bathroom facilities. There was no security, everyone that knocked the door bell could entered the building.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Greece

We're sorry for all the dust and noise, but this is temporary, due to us building a fabulous new bar in the basement! We do have a lift to help you with your luggage, so the stairs aren't so much of a struggle. We also have CCTV surveillance and a voucher system, so only guests may enter after 11pm. We're an old building, and we do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible! Please just come to reception next time with any issues, and we'll do our best to solve them!

Hatters was in a really good location, the staff were all really nice and really helpful. The beds were comfortable and although the wifi was only available downstairs, it was reliable. Only real complaint was the fact that my dorm room smelt ridiculously bad but that probably had more to do with the occupants I imagine!

Thanks for the review! We're happy you found things and persons useful and helpful, as for the smells, well that's just one of the joys of hostel life isn't it, really, I mean, REALLY getting to know people.

Very happy. I would go again.

• 9th Aug 2014

Great! Hope to see you again soon!!!

Everything is up to a good level. Nothing is very fancy there but in general a good value for money. PCs with internet for 1pound per 30min and you can use printer in office/reception for a fee (30p per page?). Free breakfast: tea/coffee, toast, yogurt, fruit, muesli...on help yourself basis which is excellent.

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Poland

Only 20p per page! What a bargain eh! ;) We are constantly doing deals and promotions, so check out our website for the latest next time you come!! Cheers!

i arrived midnight... There was a strong smell of drugs as I got out of the taxi with a whole bunch of people hanging around the entrance. Made me feel a bit uncomfortable. As i walked in, some guy set off the alarm by opening the fire exit which annoyed the Reception guy who shouted at him; saying he was off his head on drugs/drunk. However, reception guy very pleasant, polite and smiley to me :-) Room was airy, bed comfortable. Breakfast good as free!

• 8th Aug 2014

Thanks for your feedback! We definitely do not condone any taking of illegal substances on the premises! That's why we have our super-men night staff on all through the night, to make you feel as safe as possible! We hope to have you with us again! :)

The hatters Manchester provided a great environment for socializing and making friends with your fellow travellers, while maintaining tidy facilities and helpful staff. The accommodation itself is quite basic, but that is totally fine and expected when you are paying hostel prices! We loved the pub crawls especially

Woo Pub Crawls! Thanks for the shout out! We'll let our host, Caitlin, know. She'll be stoked you enjoyed yourselves! A great fun and friendly environment is everything we hope to be, so thanks for that :) Hope to see you again!

Hostel is in a good location, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Decent sized kitchen. Only request would be for more plug sockets in the rooms and lockers in the rooms.

good location , clean, think some staff could of been bit more friendlier , female showers dripped-really need sort the showers out and were not warm too, beds felt like the springs were coming out, no towel offered like the hatters in Liverpool, preferred the layout of breakfast in Liverpool hatters, but apart from that I would use again because low budget and location and clean .

This was an okay hostel. Staff was nice, location was good and the common area was great. The toilets and showers were pretty bad though. Dirty most of the time (morning, afternoon

We're glad you enjoyed the hostel and seemed to soak up the good atmosphere in the common areas, but upset that you found our toilets dirty! Our housekeepers are in everyday and do their best to keep things clean. We will try to keep them more regulated though, and will always appreciate a tip-off at reception when the housekeepers have gone home :)

I stayed in a 24 bed dorm on a Saturday. Amazing location about a 5min walk to the centre, 5 min walk to the train station and 10 min walk to Sudehill exchange (bus station). I was visiting friends from Manchester so was only there for 1 night and didnt spend much time there, but still got chatting to several people so it's a really sociable place, especially for people travelling alone. Free breakfast in the morning was great, simple selection but great to have it included in the price.

• 26th Jul 2014