Hayashi Kaikan (Yokohama Hostel Village) Reviews

3-11-2 Matsukagecho, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Japan

hot water bath is free staff offer to carry our baggage to 5th floor. NO LIFT.e all room share 1 shower, although we compliment that hot shower is foc. room is so so smelly, outside of room is another kind of smell... room is really small, really.

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

Not the worst place I've stayed in, but close... it's a run-down building, tiny cramped rooms (two bunks, yet barely enough room to stand in), limited bathroom facilities, WiFi only available from a couple of seats in the stairwell, etc.

In the early morning hours I accidentally unlocked the room 2 doors down from mine and.....the door opened. The hostel has at least 2 of the single occupant rooms with identical keys! I left by depositing my key in the drop box (the front desk opens at 9 am), I hope the management checks all the room keys to eliminate any duplicate keys. On the positive side the communal toilets and bathrooms were clean and not evil smelling.

Very small double rooms.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Spain

My friend and I booked a "twin" room for two people and, when we arrived, discovered it was the same size as a private single for one person (3 tatami mats). As for the facilities, there was only one shower per floor, the kitchen doubled as the washroom, and the doorknob to our room came off in my hand. The staff were friendly enough. However, the only time we ever saw them was when we checked in. All in all, definitely not worth 2250円 per night.

Small box with blanket on the floor don't expect much more than that. My partner is tall and kept hitting his head everywhere almost couldn't lay flat in the room! However the location was awesome and we were walking distance to one of the most spectacle China Towns!

reasonable place to stay. very warm duvets

Excellent! Not one problem

A bit different than your normal hostel - lodging/rooms are across the street from the office on the 4th floor and up with no elevator. The first 3 floors are occupied by working-class locals. Nice rooftop deck/garden though to hang on! There is WiFi up by the deck but it doesn't work in the bedrooms. This place obviously used to be some sort of roominghouse. There is also WiFi in the office, but they have no free PCs available to guests. An odd setup, but it is on the edge of Chinatown area.

Nice enough place with a nice vibe in the internet area. 5 floors up with no lift was a little tedious with our heavy bags but it was mentioned in other reviews so didn't come as a surprise. I'm pretty sure our room for 2 was just a room for 1 but with an extra bed/mat in it (the room was so small we couldn't actually lay both mats next to each other without overlap and our bags had to be wedged in the doorway. Next time we'd book 2 single rooms (same price) and use one for our bags!

Had a pleasant, quiet stay at Hayashi Kaikan. The staff were friendly and happy though as I was in the annex - where regular residents live on the first few floors and guests stay on the higher levels in private rooms, I didn't have much interaction. That was fine though as I was there for work and was out-and-about most of the time. People looking for interaction with other foreigners or backpackers will probably think that the annex lacks that jovial, fun spirit but it does provide privacy!

I really enjoyed the positive spin you put on the size of your rooms in your information section. I've stayed in Japan for a while so I'm used to rooms that size and I feel like some of the negative rooms reviews for the room were over reacting.

For the price it's really worth it. Clean kitchen and bathroom, clean individual rooms.the only down side is no lifts in the building. Climbing up 5 floors was really tiring.

• 21st Feb 2013
  • Malaysia

Very secluded district , especially at night. Room small as hell, and facilities worse ever

Thank you for your stayin and comment. We consider our rule about night once again. Sorry for inconvenience.

The cleanliness of the bathroom and kitchen could be improved.

Thank you for your staying and comment. Thanks to your comment, we can consider our hostel style once again.

A hostel quite special, but with its own charm! The staff is extremely nice and everyhing is arranged so that you feel well, in spite of the limited space (very small tatami and one bunk bed rooms). However, the rooftop is great! Nice deal for short stays!

Thank you for your stay and comment. We're glad to hear that you had good time during staying here. Thanks to your comment, we can consider our hostel style once again.

The hostel is easy to reach from the next JR station, but the atmosphere of the surrounding is rather eerie at especially at night. But the staff is friendly, the WiFi worked without any problems and it is clean.

This is Hatoma at YOKOHAMA HOSTEL VILLAGE. Thank you very much for your stay and leaving a review. Our hostel has situated the area that it used be the town for labor -worker after the Second war. You might think it is a little old. Now, they are aging,the town also changing to "welfare" town. You don't be afraid about it. Nobody is dangerous for you in this town. And our NIGHT-STAFF also stay at the same building as our guest. We think you can enjoy your trip without any fear. If you have any troubles during your stay, we will help you at full efforts. Thank you very much. YHV STAFF POPPO

Friendly staff. I didn't like the location (about a 20 min walk to the subway, 15 minute walk to the JR line), which is difficult as most hostels of Yokohama are in the same street. The room was good - tv, fridge, clothes hangers, air con. The futon was pretty thin and uncomfortable though. The place just seemed a little eerie at night though. Not much atmosphere, but at the same time I only slept there, didn't spend much time.

Thank you for your staying and comment. Sorry for inconvenience especially the location and our stuff. We consider it once again.

Room 515 is noicy getting noice from freway and kitchen.

• 14th Aug 2012
  • Finland

Thank you very much for stay. Our hostel is next to express way. If you ask us, we prepare for you the room far from it.

The area of town is very sketchy! They ask you to help rebuild, but I don't see how staying here will help this place. Later I stayed with a local couple who said that this is NOT a place to hang out. The hostel itself was terrible. The "dorm" is a room that is almost smaller than the bunk bed they somehow got inside it. The bed itself seemed to be home built and with a over 100 kg man lying in the top bunk I was fearing for my life all night - it sounded like it was coming apart!

Thank you very much for stay. In the past, the town was for day-labors job at the Yokohama ports. However, As they grew older, it's hard to find their jobs. And they has lost it.The town also itself lost their power. Now, Young people has come to this town with their traveler's bags. The town has got the young,new power again. Now we reinforced the dormitory bed more strong. We will recommend private room for 100kg over man next time. Thank you for your comment.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4