Hello Marseille Hostel Reviews

12, rue de Breteuil, Marseille, France

We enjoyed the hostel for most of our stay, except for when we were kicked out of our rooms while the staff cleaned it. We understand that the staff needed to clean the room and we were very appreciative that they were so thorough (laundry, mopping, trash, etc.), but we did not like that we were told to leave the room while it was being cleaned, especially since we paid for the room.

• 6th Jul 2014

You were kicked out of your bed? If people are staying on their beds, we do not ask them to leave. If standing up and wandering around in the room, it is normal, how would we clean then? Sorry for this, no offense, maybe some misunderstanding. Paying or not paying for the bed does not change the fact it's impossible to hoover and mop with a person walking around on the wet floor. Same everywhere no? Kind regards, and come again!

The only thing I resent is that it doesn't have a lift there!!!! The hostel is on third floor!!! You will dye because of your luggage.

:) sorry for that :) Yang is very true, be aware of this! We are located on 3rd floor with no lift. We warn about it on our front page and on HostelWorld. If we could convince our landlords to build a lift, we'd immediately do it, believe me! Sometimes our boys come down running to help if there is a girl with heavy luggage. Until then, we keep in shape with the steps ... Sorry for the effort, and maybe take the good side: it's good for health :)

The location of the hostel couldn't be better. Great common area and a very friendly staff. Perfect for people who are traveling alone.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Serbia

Really nice and cosy. The staff are all very friendly and live at the hostel. We went out for a mountain walk with some locals, other tourists and the owner himself and it was really nice. The hostel is quite small and quiet, so if you´re not fussed on the bar then it´s a great place. Right near the water!

The hostel is in a great location for exploring Marseille & beyond. I only stayed one night but the rooms were bright, airy and spacious. Only one toilet as far as I saw but I didn't have any problems with it being busy. Great, knowledgable staff who are willing to help. Cedric accompanied us on a hike in the Calanques and he was great company.

This place had so much potential but I found the staff to be cold

Sorry if you had no luck with the persons you met. We usually have great experiences meeting all our travellers, and lots of friendships established on a long term basis. Come again !! :)

I was EXTREMELY surprised by this - in a bad way. I expected a really good hostel and was let down. No A/C and you will be dying of heat. Very hard to meet people, no real places to hang out (common room closes around 10PM). It's cool how it's in an old house, but I would try to go somewhere else. Upside - friendly and helpful staff.

No A/C, true, we don't want it, anti-ecologic and bad for health. Sorry for that, it won't change :) Harclose the lounge only for cleaning at noon, never at night. It's only that from 22h30, we have a "quiet" policy to respect the sleep of the travellers , so we shut the doors for noise but you can stay and have fun :) Sorry if you missed the point, and come again to visit us!

Was a lovely and friendly hostel with very helpful staff and excellent facilities. One area for improvement would be that the wifi would work on iPhones

Merciiii ! Thanks for your support, and very glad you liked our project! Our non-profit organisation is specially proud of the good job done by our volunteers who come from all around the world to manage the hostel "for travellers by travellers" :) Kind regards, and see you again in Marseille!

Overall a good hostel. Great atmosphere among travellers, excellent location, security & good wifi. For 17 euro a night it´s a great place in the middle of the city. The only thing i would say is that some (not all) the staff are a little odd. It sometimes felt as though questions were a little too much trouble, & it felt like you were interrupting them hanging out - in the common room, in the kitchen, using the hostel communal internet. Just felt a little weird since we were paying to be there.

The hostell is small but quite nice and comfortable. It offers an atmosphere that will make you feel like home. The staff is friendly and is close to the Vieux Port, the most turistic place in Marseille, and 15-20 min walking from the bus stop to visit the Calanques. However, is a little far from the train station (30 min walking,specially if carrying suitcases), but you can take the metro, only one station and 10 min walk.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Mexico

The building smells damp and wet when you walk in, and the staff weren't local French so didn't really know the city transportation and sites that well, IMO. The rooms didn't have air conditioning, and the mattresses were very uncomfortable (with duct tape on mine), and some of the sheets had stains on them. There was also only one toilet, though to be fair the showers were remodeled and quite nice. The location is great, only a few minutes from two different metro stops.

A bit harsh, looks like not our place :) I am french, and I work here (4 years already, and did not see a damp around)... all my colleagues can give you great infos about the town and transportation details. We also have a folder with the Top10 things to do in town, printed bus lines etc... The Mattrasses are special for hostels, high hygiene guarantee for our travellers. It's true some people find it less comfy than at home, but to keep good hostel services, we had to make a choice :)

Great location near the Vieux Port! Staff very friendly and helpful especially Hilda! Very clean kitchen and bathrooms! Lovely sunny common area! Highly recommended

good for a stop over, good location, only one toilet. People are nice and helpful.

To be completely honest, my stay was pretty awful mainly because of the staff. I've stayed at many hostels and the people that work there (except for two) were extremely rude and made me feel like I was a burden. I really enjoyed the location but I wouldn't go back if the same people were working.

• 19th Jun 2014

Ouch! Sorry for the bad feeling. What happened exactly? As the hostel manager, I can ensure you our international volunteers are really nice people. If it did not connect, it is probably a matter of bad luck. Come again and I am sure you'll change your opinion. Kind regards

Only one toilet for the whole hostel, makes no sense. The staff were very nice and helpful. The lounge was a nice place to hang out and meet other travellers

Lovely hostel, very clean, very friendly, nice place to meet people. Staff go out of their way to help you make the most of your visit. In a very good location with good access to public transport. Yes there is only one toilet but it didn't cause any problems at all. You have to keep quiet in the common room after ten but there are plenty of places to go out nearby if you want to.

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Great place to stay. Definitely recommend. Only downside is the one bathroom, but it works out if you are patient. The staff is excellent.

Good quality with cheap price. The breakfast costs 5euro per person but it is quite good. Very near the train station!

• 6th Jun 2014
  • China

? The breakfast is free here, based on donations from previous travellers, and complemented by the project. You must have confused us with another hostel.

I had very cozy and lovely days at Hello Marseille Hostel.

• 25th May 2014
  • Georgia

Great location and close to the Metro station. The kitchen is a plus. It has a large balcony for smokers so no need to run up/down 3 flight stairs. 24 attendant helps keep the place safe. Only have 1 toilet, but never busy or long wait.