Hester Road Reviews

2-8 Hester Road, Southsea, Portsmouth, England

Great place! Would be better if bed sheet and duvet covers are provided without additional charges.

Poor organization: got an e-mail with instruction how to get a key for my room already in a bus going to Portsmouth bedding left in the room while they offer to make a bed for you for extra charge I was ask to left money behind when I'll be leaving the last day got info from bank that it's been taken out of my account (didn't leave money in the room after that) Other issues: bathrooms and rooms in need of a proper clean, lack of toilet paper lack of trash bins

A hoover would help.

It was not clear on booking that no member of staff would be there no greet us. When we arrived we did not know where the hostel was as there was no signs and on the website it said it was number 2-8 Hester Road. We waited outside for 45 minutes until somebody came out of a house and I asked if she was staying at the hostel and she gave me a contact number for staff who arrived twenty minutes later. We were actually staying at 22 Hester Road.

• 16th Aug 2013

On occassions it is not possible to wait for guests to arrive. on the confirmation we provide a 24hr mobile number for guests to make contact with and arrange access either by key code or key collection.

A decent enough place to stay in. I had a private room, so security wasn't an issue. It was not all that clean, but being a student house you don't really expect much and apart from the excess of hair in the shower it as OK. The distance from the city's sights was a bit much, but buses are always an option if you don't like to walk (40 min at a relaxed pace to Gunwharf Quays).

VERY basic, none too clean, especially the bathroom and kitchen. No pillows. Good location, good price, close to local shops, restaurants etc. and near bus route. A little work would make a good hostel.

• 21st Jun 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Very very dirty place. I was left the key under the doormat and never see the staff. The duvet and mattress was full of hair and the bathroom was VERY dirty and smelly. The WiFi password wasn´t written in any place so I couldn't´t use it. There was a noise coming from the boiler that was inside my room, so it was very difficult to fall asleep. Everything was very old and super dirty.

• 30th Mar 2013
  • Spain

no staff on arrival, let ourselves in. staff member eventually turned up and didn't even know we were staying poor facilities- no lock on bathroom door building works on the bathroom next to our bedroom for our whole stay not very well cleaned house dirty and smelt. bathroom disgusting dirty bedsheets, crumbs under bedside table poor location

• 4th Mar 2013
  • Northern Ireland

Cheap and easy. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed!

Hester road is meant as a long term based accommodation for people working in Portsmouth, the rooms aren´t equipped with basic facilities and the cleaness is alarming. Room didn´t looke like at all as the one on the photo, being even in different building.

• 5th Feb 2013
  • Czech Republic

Not a hostel. A long term houseshare; short term when some rooms are available (I changed the room during my stay as another person needed it for long term). Parking in the street. 4 houses joined by a common garden which means lots of people coming and going and using the facilities. No one really clean anything. No bed bugs in my room but a kind of cockroachs in the bathroom (alive or dead I don't know). Dirty. Hardly any staff and difficult to understand. Only good point: cheap and in town.

It is a guess house for British students and Erasmus, also. Everything is shabby, old and you must pay for bed sheets. Difficult to find because no sign on the building

• 4th Feb 2013