Hi Ancient Town Hostel Reviews

21 Bat Dan Street, Dong Xuan Market, Hanoi, Vietnam

We made a reservation, but when we arrived the hostel was shut down....

• 1st Jan 2015

We had booked for two nights and in the afternoon following our first night, they told us that the hotel was shutting down because the contract for the building was over so we had to move to a new hostel. Book with caution.

Although the location is quite central and close to the old quarter, you can get much better rooms for the same cheap price. The bathroom was dreadful - shower over a bath that was giving way badly. The beds were not comfortable and the sheets were stained and dirty. The TV reception was awful (not a big issue, but it didn't help the situation!). The building itself felt very unsafe - dark, narrow stairs with open wires everywhere. Staff were useless at check out and when we asked for help!

We stayed there for 2 nights. The staff couldnt speak any English that would enable us to communicate. They wanted to transfer us to another hostel after 2 nights because their contract run out. There were bugs in the bathroom. In December thete was no warm AC in rooms (9 Celcius degrees outside) and one morning no warm water. No possibilty to pay with credit card. Dirty bed sheets. We were happy to finish our stay there.

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Poland

We stayed for 3 nights. We paid a double room with a private bathroom. The staff was not very welcoming or helping (seemed like they didn't know much). The water went down in our room. We told them the next morning. Later the same day, the situation was the same and they said that we had to take a shower and go to the toilets downstairs in the commun bathroom. We saw double room available so we asked to change and go to another double room. Suddenly, the water was on again ! A bit to much for us

I just wanted to find cheap room and the price of the hostel is good. I decided to stay there after watching the photos that are really different from the reality. Also, it was so hard to find this hostel in the busy town. Anyway, when I arrived there, though I reserved the personal room, the manager told me that bathroom of the room is repaired, so I have to stay at dormitory. That dormitory room for 8 people is small, but it was not bad. Some wrecked sockets of that room should be repaired.

I got bed bugs from hi ancient hostel. It's in a great location but I don't think I'll go back. There's no air conditioning and you can hear people talking really loudly from the floor above.

Ok, so yeah its fairly cheap which is good but it had a few too many flaws for our extended stay. Bit of mould, interesting bathroom situation, windows leading to interesting locations, power being switched off intermittently, water being slightly unpredictable. We stayed for about 8 or 9 nights in the end because it wasn't THAT bad, but for a long stay like ours it was too much.

Cheapest and the best location. Our trip to Ha Long Bay is amazing, reasonable price and good meal. you get what you pay for.Staff are friendly and helpful, they gave me a free tourist map and show me many interesting place around Hanoi. Value for my stay in Hanoi

Don't book trips or tours through the hostel as they charge more money, even though we heard a lot of people being scammed. We went to APRtravel with a nice women called Mrs hanh who seemed genuine and worked out better than a lot of other people we spoke to. Everything else was fine... but better to ask for the coffee black as the milk isn't always fresh.