High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Located right off the Royal Mile, so if you're looking for a bed in a good location, it's great. However, we didn't find that it offered a great atmosphere to meet people. Cleanliness was average, there was a weird smell that stayed on our clothes. Our 18 bed dorm shared 2 toilets and 2 showers, along with another room (not sure how many beds they had). You had to show your receipt in order to get into the hostel, and each bed had a small locker. Overall, not the best. Wouldn't stay again.

• 24th May 2015

The staff were really sweet and helpful! Very nice and understanding people. The whole vibe of the place is really cool; suits of armour in the lobby and strangely named goldfish, plus the music they played in the lobby was great. The rooms were clean, comfortable; I loved that the lockers were a) one to a bed and b) in the rooms themselves, so you didn't have to pay extra to lock stuff up and it wasn't kept god knows where in the hostel. The downstairs kitchen area is so cool! 10/10 loved it!!!

We enjoyed our stay at the hostel very much. The location is excellent and the staff was friendly :)

• 19th May 2015

The location is amazing. Huge kitchen/dining room with warm, welcoming, joyful vibe. Spacious rooms, plugs for every bed. Great wi-fi. I slept here only one night, but I spent a week in their twin Royal Mile Backpackers, with my room facing straight to the Royal Mile (and the possibility to use the big kitchen of the High Street Hostel, 30 seconds away). In both hostels you'll find a lot of young, colored and RESPECTFUL guys. The lady managing the Royal Mile scores 110% herself alone

It is a very nice and friendly place!

noisy environment but people are friendly

• 16th May 2015

Perfect peaceful stay and nice atmosphere, we felt right at home. Very reasonable price for stay with plenty facilities, best beds we've slept in all over Scotland and amazing location. Staff in kitchen / hangout room was less friendly and sent us away from that space a few times so they could sit down themselves.

• 15th May 2015

Awesome Hostel, nice staff and we would definitely come back next time!

• 14th May 2015

Very nice and helpful staff. In a neat old building, but that meant the rooms were on the smaller side. Not a big deal though, there was still room to move around. Really strange smell in the whole building though. All my clothes smelled like the hostel days after we left.

Loved the hostel! Especially the location! Clean dorms, helpfull staff comfortable beds... everything I needed! I would definetly come back!

Every guest has a locker and safe. Nice rooms and decent bathrooms, with an enormous kitchen and common space downstairs. Staff was nice but not 100% helpful. Located right off the Royal Mile which was awesome! Plenty of restaurants bars and attractions within a 1-10 minute walk.

Centrally located, good strong Wifi connection, and decent locker space... particularly loved the themed rooms. Would stay here again!

It was a very clean and friendly hostel. I was very pleased with my visit and I would definitely go back. I would recommend this hostel.

• 4th May 2015

it was a very good hostel, the staff was great, the rooms were clean, the Wi-Fi worked perfectly and the location of the hostel couldn´t be better, i really enjoyed my staying in that hostel , and I´d definitely go back (if I visit Edinburgh again)

• 2nd May 2015
  • Bulgaria

Had an absolutely wonderful stay here! Very helpful and kind staff, great atmosphere for meeting new people air just hanging out. Great location right off the Royal Mile, would definitely come back and stay here again!

Hostel was clean although it did have a strange smell!! No bar and had to cook own food, last hostel I stayed in had a bar and they had a menu for food. Beds were comfortable but lots of noise from outside which some may not like. Location was good from Waverley train station and Main Street. Continental breakfast was poor so none of us had anything. I probably wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

• 2nd May 2015

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are a backpackers' hostel and it clearly states on our site that we do not accept party groups like yourselves. Most of our guests appreciate our facilities, including the self-catering kitchen and our good value breakfast. We are very central, so pubs and bars and breakfast places for fry-ups are close-by. I still hope you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and find a more suitable place for you the next time you are up here.

This place has everything you could want from a hostel.

Great atmosphere, location, cleanliness and friendly staff.

Perfect location, great facilities, helpful and friendly staff. We didn't try the breakfast, it looked tasty though. Loads of storing space and fridges, kitchen well equipped, ice machine. Massive common room with pool table, book and game corner. One big thank you for a great stay, especially for the girl who checked us in (sorry, we didn't get your name). Keep up the good job :)

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • Poland

This hostel was a perfect location - right in the middle of the Royal Mile, within walking distance of everything you could possibly need. The staff were all fellow backpackers, and the organized pub crawl was a lot of fun. Our only complaint was that the room was small (we had a private twin room), and the lack of railings on the upper bunk bed was a bit disconcerting. Also if you have a private room you have to climb about 4 flights of stairs since there's no lift. Recommended!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6