High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Overall lovely stay. Great location and friendly staff. Would have been nicer to have separate toliets and showers for males and females.

• 29th Jan 2016
  • British Virgin Islands

Overall, very impressed with this hostel. Extremely friendly staff; I like how the beds are wooden, built right into the wall so no squeaks! Great location, bathrooms and showers are clean and functional. This hostel is one of the best I've been to.

I always have a wonderful time at this hostel, but this last time I had an even better time I mingled more with travelers, and actually made some good friends that I keep going back to visit!

Unlimited supply of free hot choc, coffee, tea and milk. Staff are extremely friendly and warm. The lounge and kitchen plus the dining area are uniquely designed, one of a kind with character. A place for youngsters and travellers to meet people and socialise with others on a global scale. The only downside is the shared dorms and noise from the streets, traffic and drunkards. Good music and decor. Food, service etc is economic. Very affordable.

I liked the hostel. It's directly on the royal mile in the city centre, close to the main sights. The rooms and facilities are clean. The hostel provides a locker with key. I think the price was a little too much, but it was New Year’s Eve and the complete city was booked.

• 30th Dec 2015

The beds here were possibly the worse I've slept on. The bunk is wooden and the mattress is just foam literally. Makes for a sore body each morning with very stiff hips. despite all rooms being checked daily- bin cleared and vacuum ex as necessary small things are frustrating. We had a cleaner check to room. He did knock before hand however as he had earphones in he couldn't hear us asking to wait as we were getting changed. Made for an awkward few seconds when he did open the door and realise.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • New Zealand

The atmosphere was welcoming and gave out a chill vibe from the moment I and my girlfriend went in. Facilities were clean and the Wifi was fast. We stayed here for two separate nights so we were bale to experience the 18 bedroom and the private bedroom. The 18 bedroom was a bit smelly, I guess because of the amount of people inside. The private bedroom which was composed of a bunk bed the bottom having a larger size than the top was quite comfortable to use. I can see myself coming back.

Amazing location. Very central and easy to locate. The bathroom facilities were quite decent. I never had to queue for toilet or shower. The kitchen facilities are very good too. Being able to cook yourself meals is great for budget travellers like myself. Unfortunately the beds were quite uncomfortable. There's no barrier on the top bunk to stop you from falling off and the mattress itself isn't the best. All in all however, you get for what you pay for and I had a decent stay here

Good location, wifi and plenty of plug sockets. Staff live there, and you feel like you are intruding in their home. Electrical equipment in hostel is downright dangerous, and lack of basic Health and safety is worrying. Terrible smell all over hostel, matresses are very thin and uncomfortable. Would not recommend.

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you burnt your hands in the oven. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Edinburgh. All the best.

It's my first experience with such a hostel...if we can call it a hostel...80% of people stating there,live and work in a hostel.So you feel like staying in someone's home....They spend time together so there's no connection between real guests and the workers....anyway the good thing is lication- Royal Mile.Wi fi works really well.The first problem we had was during check in,we were said that our bookibg doesn't exist....eventually someone found it.And the hostel is smelly!!

We were there for Christmas Eve and Day, and the kitchen was closed several times without notice because the staff were making themselves Christmas dinner. That was very frustrating, though i understand that it was Christmas time and i appreciated the family-like atmosphere. The majority of the guests were long term students or young people. Seemed like a great place to stay long term, but as a weekender, we felt somewhat sidelined.

The hostel was not really clean.

Very friendly staff. Great central location. Big cinema room with free Netflix. Rooms and bathrooms were clean. I would stay here again. Great place.

• 20th Dec 2015
  • Bahamas

We had a wonderful stay. We were welcomed at reception with a smile even though we arrived much earlier than check in and we're delighted to be able to go to our rooms right away. The room, although small was clean and comfortable and the bathroom, kitchen and common area were kept tidy and welcoming. The breakfast was excellent value for money and free hot chocolate (and tea and coffee) all the time was a huge bonus. Perfect location close to the train station and Royal Mile.

What a wonderful little place! Loved the fact that I booked a 6 bed room, but only had 2 other people staying with me. One of them was obnoxiously loud at an extremely early hour of the morning, though. The heating was a bit too much as well.

Loved the coffee, tea, hot chocolate and breakfast! I also appreciate the lockers being included with the key deposit. The bathrooms were also in good shape and well maintained. The main lobby and the stairs did have a very unique funk; in that I wanted to grab the febreeze and take a walk through the stairwell. The female dorm's radiator could have been warmer too, we were right next to it and it was chilly. Other than that, I can't complain, it was a lovely weekend!

• 10th Dec 2015

The atmosphere was really great, and you can make a lot of friends from different countries.

• 29th Nov 2015
  • Taiwan

The staff is friendly and the location is unbeatable.

Super cool atmosphere :) Thank you! I'll return and I'll recommend the hostel

Thank you for your great review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Great atmosphere, location, and staff! The only small complaint I had was our neighbors were extremely loud (running up and down the hall, banging on doors, slamming doors, yelling across the hall) throughout the whole night. We just had a very busy following day and it made it a little hard to sleep. Besides that everything was fantastic! Thanks!:)

• 27th Nov 2015

Hi and thank you for your feedback and your nice review. It really motivates us :) Sorry about your noisy neighbours. All the best on your onward journey and hope to see you again .. maybe on a quieter night?

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4