High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

I seriously loved this hostel. For the price, you get a fun, clean place to stay. It's one of the few hostels I've found that has hot showers with good water pressure and a decent bed. And it was obvious they were very clean, as the towels in the bathrooms were changed at least 5 times a day. It's close to the major attractions as well. The breakfast was basic but cheap, so you can't complain. Highly highly recommend!!

Good place to stay for bed, shower, and wifi. Very central location.

No enough space in figiders.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Not bad! Good location, comfy bed. I just wanted a place to sleep and got it. The 6 guy room got a bit smelly and moist overnight but that's to be expected. Pretentious room/bed naming, but it's more memorable that way I guess. Free coffee in the morning was a nice touch.

I enjoyed my stay at High Street Hostel, but the staff was not very engaging with guests.

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear you had a good time at High Street Hostel. The vast majority of our feedback compliments our staff on being friendly and helpful. I am sorry to hear you did not have the same experience. Busy check-in times can sometimes put pressure on our staff but they are always there for our guests and we are constantly trying to improve and we do take your feedback seriously.

The NICEST common room and Kitchen I have ever seen. Right in the centre of the city, a five minute walk to the castle, the National Gallery, the Writers Museum, etc. It doesn't matter that they charge for breakfast, because it's dirt cheap AND with the open Kitchen you can easily buy food and cook for yourself (which is not at all cramped or awkward like other Hostel Kitchens I've been in). Rooms are nice and airy. The common room in the basement is great and they show movies and free tea!

For the money I paid I expected more than just a tiny little room that was literally filled up with one bed already. Cold air got through the window during the night and we couldn't do anything about it. There was a bad smell in pretty much all rooms but I don`t know where it came from. Maybe hostels have a lower standard in Scotland than Germany but I was rather disappointed. Nice was the cooking dining area and the truly international atmosphere.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at our hostel did not meet your expectations. The room you booked was advertised as a basic double room and you will find that the price was very reasonable compared to a similar rooms around the city. Our building has a lot of history and we are constantly trying to improve to meet modern demands. I am glad that you liked our lounge and kitchen and judging from the international atmosphere you describe I hope you still had a great time in our hostel.

It was incredible, best hostel I have stayed in all over Europe. Great atmosphere, brilliant people and fantastic kitchen. one amazing thing was there was always fresh towels in the bathrooms. Great hostel overall! :)

• 10th Mar 2015

Great hostel! Would definitely stay again and recommend to other travellers! Thank you for making our time in Edinburgh that much better.

This hostel was really nice. For the price and the location , it is very affordable. We were barely 10-15min from everything starting from Edinburgh's castle to the shopping areas. The room was nice enough, 5 floors to go up (and no lift so you better be sure you want the 2 people rooms!) always cleaned really well, even tho. the biggest problem is the bunk bed : the ladder which only has 2 steps and it's the hardest to get on there! (seriously it needs one more step as least) .

Great location, staff, and clean. Would recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Edinburgh

best hostel ever i stayed at. there is a huge professional kitchen which allows many people to cook at the same time. tea, coffee and organic milk for free. the showers and toilets are cleaned every few hours. the staff are very friendly. many people here stay long term and have made it their second home. the only problem is that some people like to turn the music really loud in the kitchen and dining room which becomes a real stress factor. i think most people dont like the music.

Nice stay there! The staff was very friendly, even when a douchebag tried to kick us out they reacted nicely! Thanks again!

Excellent location right in the city centre, very nice common areas with plenty of opportunities to meet new people, great atmosphere. I've been to other hostels in Edinburgh and I would definitely reccomend High Street!!

It's a pretty hostel, very central and with proper facilities. I tend to like smaller ones better but still it has a cosy feeling and I had the impression it is especially popular with travellers staying for more than just 1-2 nights in town, so people tended to bond easily in common areas. Overall recommended, rooms are basic but comfortable, maybe not enough toilets/showers ratio but at least clean and pleasant for a city hostel.

Very good hostel !! No complaints

The lockers should maybe be replaced at some point - getting on the flimsy side.

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

happy I paid a bit extra and stayed here. great location and very clean.

Loved this hostel. Very friendly staff; I left my purse in a taxi before arriving and as such had no money whatsoever. Staff were very helpful in making phone calls for me to get it back and allowed me to stay and use my passport at collateral before my purse was returned. Lovely to have free coffee, tea and hot chocolate etc. love the cute names of all the beds and rooms. Very close to everything. Highly recommend!

• 20th Feb 2015

The hostel is really cool, it is in the center of the city and the staff is really kind. Great deal!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5