High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excellent location right in the city centre, very nice common areas with plenty of opportunities to meet new people, great atmosphere. I've been to other hostels in Edinburgh and I would definitely reccomend High Street!!

It's a pretty hostel, very central and with proper facilities. I tend to like smaller ones better but still it has a cosy feeling and I had the impression it is especially popular with travellers staying for more than just 1-2 nights in town, so people tended to bond easily in common areas. Overall recommended, rooms are basic but comfortable, maybe not enough toilets/showers ratio but at least clean and pleasant for a city hostel.

Very good hostel !! No complaints

Loved this hostel. Very friendly staff; I left my purse in a taxi before arriving and as such had no money whatsoever. Staff were very helpful in making phone calls for me to get it back and allowed me to stay and use my passport at collateral before my purse was returned. Lovely to have free coffee, tea and hot chocolate etc. love the cute names of all the beds and rooms. Very close to everything. Highly recommend!

• 20th Feb 2015

The hostel is really cool, it is in the center of the city and the staff is really kind. Great deal!

Situated in the middle of Edinburgh city just off The Royal Mile High Street, it is conveniently located to most of the major tourist attractions in the city. Most attractions can be reached in a 10 minute walk. The atmosphere is homely and clean and the facilities are of good standard. Toilets and shower rooms are shared and are relatively clean. Kitchen can be used to store food and cook (microwave, fridges, stoves, hobs, oven, kitchen utensils). WiFi throughout the hostel is good.

• 19th Feb 2015
  • Malaysia

Hostel compares well with hostels in Europe and is better than most I've seen in the UK and Ireland. Large, fully equipped kitchen with multiple stoves. Atmosphere is tasteful and suits all kinds of travelers. No bedside lamps but two brightness levels of light in the 18 bed dorm means you can dim the lights if you want to sleep early. Lots of people in 18 bed dorm meant someone was always rustling. Genuine, approachable staff. If you have a problem or complaint, they will surely help you.

I had a great time :)

• 18th Feb 2015

Best hostel I've ever stayed at! I was supposed to stay for four days and ended up staying for over a month... The staff is the best, they make you feel right at home (I basically considered it one). Facilities are awesome. They are constantly cleaning it seems and it never feels dirty. Best location you could ask for in Edinburgh!! Great atmosphere, awesome people, prime location. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• 17th Feb 2015
  • lsspietz

A nice place! Cool common lounge area and decent bedrooms. Showers and toilets nothing special, but good atmosphere overall

Good hostel for spent some days like some weeks. The rooms are hot, the bedis confortable. The only problem: during the night, too much noise coming from the street.

Second time in Edinburgh and in the high street hostel. It is way better than it has ever been. Great atmosphere, clean and location doesn't get any better than this. Breakfast up to £3 I guess and you get bread, juices, cereals. Great value in the city, shower are too small, but it's manageable. Totally recommend it.

It was awesome!! They will hold your bags even before and after you check in so you can go explore.

• 6th Feb 2015

Excellent location and a very good kitchen. Room simple and clean.

• 29th Jan 2015

This hostel was fabulous! Easy to meet people in the common room. Make your own meals in the kitchen (saves lots of money!). The showers were strong and hot too!! The only minor complaints were that the beds weren't that comfortable, the rooms were chilly in January, and it smelled a bit musty. Otherwise I would totally stay here again!!

Thanks for your feedback, we hope to see you again :)

Very noisy at night. Bad sounding proofing. Also, poor security - I lost my Nikko drinking bottle in the kitchen but the staff refused to help.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, particularly sorry you didn't get any help with the water bottle. This is unusual for our staff, I'm wondering if you spoke to an actual staff member, perhaps there was some mistaken identity? We wish you well for the rest of your journey.

The best location

What a great hostel!! Very convenient location, not far away from Edinburgh. Considering it was low seaon (jan), it was busy, plenty of friendly peope to talk to. There was plenty of information around the hostel on things to do in Edinburgh, the staff knew the city too so could offer handy tips. They even did some day excusions, which I was told were very good. The little things really made my time there such as clean hand towels in the bathrooms daily! Definatley return!

Thanks for your review, we look forward to seeing you again.

Had a great time - the staff were very helpful and welcoming, the hostel was very close to the train station and was located in the heart of the action! I can't recommend it highly enough!

• 17th Jan 2015

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, thanks for reviewing us :)

The staff was helpful & friendly. Rooms were outdated as to be expected but the in room lockers were useful and secure. Laundry services were £3.50 and fairly quick. The location was their best feature as it was nearby to many bars, restaurants and transportation. We did not spend much time in the hostel but it fit our needs! There is an area to leave luggage that isn't necessarily locked away but is nearby the front desk, we locked our bags & didn't have an issue leaving them for the day.

Hey guys thanks for your feedback, for people with valuables or other items they are concerned about, we can also keep them behind our reception area. We also have a huge safe we can lock documents in.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5