High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

The staff were really sweet and helpful! Very nice and understanding people. The whole vibe of the place is really cool; suits of armour in the lobby and strangely named goldfish, plus the music they played in the lobby was great. The rooms were clean, comfortable; I loved that the lockers were a) one to a bed and b) in the rooms themselves, so you didn't have to pay extra to lock stuff up and it wasn't kept god knows where in the hostel. The downstairs kitchen area is so cool! 10/10 loved it!!!

We enjoyed our stay at the hostel very much. The location is excellent and the staff was friendly :)

• 19th May 2015

Perfect peaceful stay and nice atmosphere, we felt right at home. Very reasonable price for stay with plenty facilities, best beds we've slept in all over Scotland and amazing location. Staff in kitchen / hangout room was less friendly and sent us away from that space a few times so they could sit down themselves.

• 15th May 2015

Very nice and helpful staff. In a neat old building, but that meant the rooms were on the smaller side. Not a big deal though, there was still room to move around. Really strange smell in the whole building though. All my clothes smelled like the hostel days after we left.

Loved the hostel! Especially the location! Clean dorms, helpfull staff comfortable beds... everything I needed! I would definetly come back!

Every guest has a locker and safe. Nice rooms and decent bathrooms, with an enormous kitchen and common space downstairs. Staff was nice but not 100% helpful. Located right off the Royal Mile which was awesome! Plenty of restaurants bars and attractions within a 1-10 minute walk.

Centrally located, good strong Wifi connection, and decent locker space... particularly loved the themed rooms. Would stay here again!

It was a very clean and friendly hostel. I was very pleased with my visit and I would definitely go back. I would recommend this hostel.

• 4th May 2015

it was a very good hostel, the staff was great, the rooms were clean, the Wi-Fi worked perfectly and the location of the hostel couldn´t be better, i really enjoyed my staying in that hostel , and I´d definitely go back (if I visit Edinburgh again)

• 2nd May 2015
  • Bulgaria

Had an absolutely wonderful stay here! Very helpful and kind staff, great atmosphere for meeting new people air just hanging out. Great location right off the Royal Mile, would definitely come back and stay here again!

Hostel was clean although it did have a strange smell!! No bar and had to cook own food, last hostel I stayed in had a bar and they had a menu for food. Beds were comfortable but lots of noise from outside which some may not like. Location was good from Waverley train station and Main Street. Continental breakfast was poor so none of us had anything. I probably wouldn't stay here again or recommend it.

• 2nd May 2015

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are a backpackers' hostel and it clearly states on our site that we do not accept party groups like yourselves. Most of our guests appreciate our facilities, including the self-catering kitchen and our good value breakfast. We are very central, so pubs and bars and breakfast places for fry-ups are close-by. I still hope you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and find a more suitable place for you the next time you are up here.

This place has everything you could want from a hostel.

Great atmosphere, location, cleanliness and friendly staff.

Perfect location, great facilities, helpful and friendly staff. We didn't try the breakfast, it looked tasty though. Loads of storing space and fridges, kitchen well equipped, ice machine. Massive common room with pool table, book and game corner. One big thank you for a great stay, especially for the girl who checked us in (sorry, we didn't get your name). Keep up the good job :)

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • Poland

This hostel was a perfect location - right in the middle of the Royal Mile, within walking distance of everything you could possibly need. The staff were all fellow backpackers, and the organized pub crawl was a lot of fun. Our only complaint was that the room was small (we had a private twin room), and the lack of railings on the upper bunk bed was a bit disconcerting. Also if you have a private room you have to climb about 4 flights of stairs since there's no lift. Recommended!

This was a great find! It's close to everything, clean, friendly, with good wifi, and a spacious kitchen. I highly recommend it.

Incredible location. 20 steps and you're on the mile! Staff were very helpful which was most welcomed. The Internet strength is pretty terrible. Kept dropping out, and was very slow. Also, thicker mattresses would be nice than the 2cm think ones that were there. But it really was a great price just for the location of the hostel. Would stay here again.

The hostel rooms for once look just like the pictures. I was in an 8 bed and it was much more spacious than most I have been in of the size. The hostel had a fun, cozy atmosphere and the building is great. Staff was friendly and very helpful. My only critique is that they don't have secure locker storage. You are welcome to leave your things in the common space in view of the main desk, but it is not locked up. I had nothing stolen so can't complain, but it does feel a little uncomfortable.

Very secure, and in a great location just off the Royal Mile. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We also really liked that we got 20% off at a nearby pub by showing our hostel card. The negatives were: the lockers in our 4 bed female dorm were ridiculously small...meaning you had to leave your luggage on the floor, and the room was already small. I also was surprised that the top bunks did not have any rails! I was so scared I would fall off. Strange odour throughout entire building.

The house is really old, but pretty cool. Their laundry service was pretty cheap too. Overall, a pretty decent hostel. I would go back.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6