High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

We entered High Street Hostel and were welcomed by a lovely receptionist who seemed very passionate about Edinburgh but also someone playing the Piano in the Lobby. We loved it right away! Our room was warm and the beds comfortable with powerpoints next to every bunk. There was great wifi in the whole building. Everything was fantastic; location, the kitchen (Free hot drinks!), bathrooms (cleaned several times per day), Great activities organised by the hostel -A backpacker's dream! Recommended!

• 15th Dec 2014

I loved my stay at this hostel. Edinburgh was super cold, still the hostel was very warm and cozy. Very very clean.

Really friendly and helpful staff. Best price and location!

• 6th Dec 2014
  • Poland

Overall the stay was good but the atmosphere was lacking- there was very little socialisation. regardless, the facilities were good and I would definitely stay there again

Can't beat the location-just a block away from the Royal Mile! The bedroom is good is good and the lockers are big, but the bathrooms leave something to be desired. However, there is a fully equipped kitchen open for your use, and you can check out at any time, day or night. Definitely recommend!!!

• 22nd Nov 2014

With it's two lounge areas it's easy to meet new people. A big communal kitchen in case you don't feel like eating take away each night. Friendly staff and very helpful. Only downside is that in some rooms there are no powerpoints to charge phones/cameras etc.

• 15th Nov 2014

Great location off High Street/Royal Mile. They do not have a luggage room so if you arrive early or want to leave luggage after check out, you'd leave your luggage in an open area near reception. Worrisome but it was fine! Beds were surprisingly comfortable for foam/spongey mattress. Lockers provided in room. Stayed in a 18-bed mixed dorm.. shared WC facilities (2 toilets, 2 showers, 2 sinks) with a smaller room next to us. Not a problem. Wifi is best in the staircase.

The staff were really friendly! It had nice vibes. It was, however, quite annoying that there was only wifi in the lobby, and this wifi didn't work very well.

• 8th Nov 2014

Better spread of wifi would be nice

• 7th Nov 2014

High street hostel was genuinely the nicest hostel I've stayed in ever. I would and will no doubt stay there again.

• 6th Nov 2014

High street hostel is in a good location yet off the busier roads helping to reduce the possibility of noise from outside. The cleanliness was reasonable - no complaints. I found the staff to be helpful. The 24 hour reception is very good for security. They were also happy to keep bags stored securely after check out so if you have time before travelling on you wont have to lug everything around! The lockers in the room have a lock and key so don't need to buy a padlock.

• 31st Oct 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

No WiFi away from common areas which is very annoying. Only two power connections on the room (for 4 people) which is also very annoying. Breakfast available at very reasonable price.

My friend and I only were flying in to Edinburgh from Venice, Italy but during a layover in Stansted we missed out flight and instead ended up taking a 8 hour train ride and were up for a total of 18 hours by the time we got to Edinburgh. So grumpy didn't even cover our moods when we finally rolled into what we discovered to be heaven for a weary traveler. The friendly staff, casual atmosphere, clean facilities, and comfy beds all made our 12 days of travel much easier!

• 29th Oct 2014

High Street Hostel has a brighter atmosphere to it than the other hostels I stayed at, and the rooms and beds are comfortable. The only down side is that it is not as electronics friendly as some of the other hostels. It can be difficult to find a place to plug in and sit for a while. Otherwise it was a great experience, very close to all of the attractions off of The Royal Mile.

Really loved the place. It looks great and it's got a lovely vibe.

Great location right off the Royal Mile. Staff was very helpful. Kitchen was nice and large to cook our own food in and not feel tight with others in it. Large eating area with cozy spots to relax as well.

I couldn't have asked for a better location or friendlier staff. Everything was clean and the bed was comfortable. I didn't get to use the kitchen (due to a short stay), but it looked excellent as well. I would love to stay there again and highly recommend it.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Positives: it was in a great location and had the necessities - a room and a shower. The negatives: The place was dirty - the carpet in the room was gross and the shower curtain had mold growing on it. You can't get internet in your room so the lobby and stairways are PACKED with people trying to use the internet.

Amazing location, clean rooms that all had fun themes. Staff seemed bothered whenever I asked them basic questions, which I didn't appreciate. Also the commons area was so crowded that it was hard to obtain wifi, and it was not available in rooms. I do recommend this hostel based on aesthetics and location.

Second time we booked the hostel, great value for money, brilliant location, never used DORM - just a seperate room with bunkbeds - still value great considering Edinburgh centre. Will go back

• 18th Oct 2014