High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very noisy at night. Bad sounding proofing. Also, poor security - I lost my Nikko drinking bottle in the kitchen but the staff refused to help.

The best location

What a great hostel!! Very convenient location, not far away from Edinburgh. Considering it was low seaon (jan), it was busy, plenty of friendly peope to talk to. There was plenty of information around the hostel on things to do in Edinburgh, the staff knew the city too so could offer handy tips. They even did some day excusions, which I was told were very good. The little things really made my time there such as clean hand towels in the bathrooms daily! Definatley return!

Had a great time - the staff were very helpful and welcoming, the hostel was very close to the train station and was located in the heart of the action! I can't recommend it highly enough!

• 17th Jan 2015

The staff was helpful & friendly. Rooms were outdated as to be expected but the in room lockers were useful and secure. Laundry services were £3.50 and fairly quick. The location was their best feature as it was nearby to many bars, restaurants and transportation. We did not spend much time in the hostel but it fit our needs! There is an area to leave luggage that isn't necessarily locked away but is nearby the front desk, we locked our bags & didn't have an issue leaving them for the day.

GREAT LOCATION

• 16th Jan 2015

Loved it! It felt like meeting old friends. Everybody was respectful, friendly, and open minded. The hostel was warm and beds comfortable. Great, powerful hot showers (unlike most places in Britain). The staff had great knowledge of Edinburgh and Scotland. Despite being in an 18 bed room I felt comfortable and safe! Everything was very clean. Very well run! Unfortunately my stay was cut short, but I can't wait to spend more time here when I return. 5 stars!

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

I loved this hostel! it has an ancient wall that adds charm to it, the position is unbeatable, in a quiet sideway of the royal mile. the price was excellent and lower if compared to other hostels .. there is a big common room with a lot of space and you can meet other travellers. staff was very friendly. it is not brand spanking new but overall clean and warm. would definitely come back!

We were a small group of friends looking for a cheap place to stay and this hostel offered so much more! The atmosphere the friendly staff give off is amazing, we would highly recommended joining in on the free pub crawl, it's a great laugh. It was slightly awkward trying to use the kitchen as were short term sleepers but those who had stayed there longer had already taken over and made it their own. Rooms are simple and a little small but practical and clean. We had an amazing time.

• 7th Jan 2015

Amazing staff! Everyone was so nice and welcoming. My rating would've improved drastically had I not slept on a thin piece of foam on top of a wood frame. Improve upon this, and you're well into the 90s for me!

Great hostel! This place is located very centrally! You can walk to just about anything you'd want to see in Edinburgh. Although the name is a tiny bit misleading as it's not located ON High Street but off it slightly. The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful.

High Street Hostel is a lovely place to stay and is right in the heart of Edinburgh. The people are very friendly and I was made to feel right at home as soon as I arrived.

• 4th Jan 2015

I just stayed for one night as I wanted a central hostel before the flight I had to take. The staff were dead friendly and helpful. Nice common room. Unfortunately I literally was there to sleep and left early so I can't really leave a thorough review.

The hostel dorms were a good size. Bathrooms were male and female shared - it didn't bother us but it might be something to consider if that's an issue for you. This hostel had a lacklustre security system... each person was given a 'pink slip' that had your name and dorm room. During our check-in, we were told that every time we walked through the front door of the hostel we would need to show our slip (door unlocked at all times). We were never asked for our slip... not a lot of security!

Fantastic location, but the bathrooms were very unclean. The bed sheets were also covered in hair. Smells mouldy.

The counter staff was amazing! I had questions that at the time they didn't know...I went upstairs real quick and when I was going to pass the counter, the lady at the front stopped me and she had taken the time to call a few places see who had salmon and eggs as a breakfast meal! I thought this was so thoughtful. They were all like this. Andy (another hostel counter employee) was so helpful getting me squared with my booking. They are all so happy, cheerful, funny and helpful! 4 Stars!!!

• 31st Dec 2014

Room prices were understandably high over New Years eve/New Years day but the location was perfect!

• 30th Dec 2014

This is a great hostel! The common area is perfect, and there is a huge communal kitchen with people cooking all the time. The beds weren't super comfy but everything else was great. Highly recommended!

Very good and convenient location. Bedrooms were relatively small for the price, but in good condition. The only let down was regarding the bathroom facilities, as the hot water seemed to have run out completely in the evening and I was left with only icy cold water. Hopefully this can be improved.

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Malaysia

Better than expected. I read some regular opinnions about this hostel and despite this, we booked it. Finally a great surprise for us. Really well located, cheaper than many others, and quite good environment in there. I would repeat with no doubts.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5