High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Everything was fine. Nothing to complain about except the beds were HORRIBLE!! My back is still sore. It's a wooden plank bed with a very thin mattress!!

We had a great stay at High Street Hostel. The rooms were nice, facilities okay but clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was great and it is located right at the Royal Mile. The only thing that we found a bit annoying is that we had to show our card every time we entered the hostel, but for the rest it was excellent!

Great hostel! Cozy and welcoming, with a vibrant atmosphere. Ideal location, right off the Royal Mile. Free wifi worked great, kitchen was big and well equipped, and showers were clean. My only complaint is the noise level - it was a bit loud some nights, with traffic, a garbage truck backing up, and pub crawlers returning at midnight. Overall a good experience however.

• 7th Apr 2015

The location is excellent! Close to railway station and also in the city centre. There is free wifi & also a computer you can use at the reception, the price is 50 pents for 30-mins. The room is small, but it's related to the rate. My only concern is there is no hot water in one of the 2 bathrooms on the 7/F, which I had a cold bath at night.

Stayed in the 4 person room. Excellent place to stay in Edinburgh! Definitely would recommend. Water wasn't that warm, wifi was a little weak but I'm not complaining too much! Compared to other hostels, this one is great!

nice and well equipped kitchen with a spacious common area: really nice.

Good hostel

That was my second stay and I can´t recommend a better located place. The staff is super friendly, the atmosphere in the hostel is nice and the price is excellent.

• 30th Mar 2015

Staff were amazing! Helpful and very friendly. Location cannot be beat - right in the heart of the city. Great value - would definitely stay here again!

Nicest staff ever ! However, the heating system is a bit nightmarish and even though our room was very small, it was either freezing or burning. We had a sheet and a duvet and asked for a blanket but were answered that there was none (would be easier than managing the heating I think but ok). One of the boiler was not working, so no hot water nor water pressure at some hours but well that happens... Surroundings are noisy at night and on the morning but great location in the city !

Several great things about this hostel: The staff are all super helpful and knowledgable, the rooms are big with power outlets for each bed. Bathrooms are very clean. there's a great kitchen and dining area, so preparing your own food is easy and meeting people in the lounge area is very comfortable. The location CAN NOT BE BEAT! Only one small disadvantage: the beds are rock hard! But its still easy to sleep if you've been seeing the city all day.

Is a good hostel. The showers could be better. And the water was not hot enough. Anyway, a good place right in center of Edinburgh.

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise about the water temperature. That was a temporary issue that has since been fixed.

I had a really great time at this hostel. The pub crawl held on Thursday night was really fun, free and a great way to meet friendly people.

I seriously loved this hostel. For the price, you get a fun, clean place to stay. It's one of the few hostels I've found that has hot showers with good water pressure and a decent bed. And it was obvious they were very clean, as the towels in the bathrooms were changed at least 5 times a day. It's close to the major attractions as well. The breakfast was basic but cheap, so you can't complain. Highly highly recommend!!

I get up early and like to read until i go to where i am going. It is not considerate to put a light on in the morning at 4.30 - 5am so i went looking for a quiet place within the hostel to read. I went to reception. Every time i went there, when the manager was not present himself, the staff ALWAYS had their loud music on or were watching television full blast. When i asked one of them to turn his music down so i could read he said 'The music is not loud'. There was only myself and him the

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you about your experience. After you brought the issue to my attention I had a chat with everyone involved and I think you'd agree that the issue was resolved there and then. Our staff is generally regarded as exceptionally helpful and friendly and your concerns were taken seriously and the music had been turned down for you. It's unfortunate that this incident has tainted your overall experience of our hostel, which you told me you otherwise liked

Best place yet.

Good place to stay for bed, shower, and wifi. Very central location.

No enough space in figiders.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Not bad! Good location, comfy bed. I just wanted a place to sleep and got it. The 6 guy room got a bit smelly and moist overnight but that's to be expected. Pretentious room/bed naming, but it's more memorable that way I guess. Free coffee in the morning was a nice touch.

I enjoyed my stay at High Street Hostel, but the staff was not very engaging with guests.

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear you had a good time at High Street Hostel. The vast majority of our feedback compliments our staff on being friendly and helpful. I am sorry to hear you did not have the same experience. Busy check-in times can sometimes put pressure on our staff but they are always there for our guests and we are constantly trying to improve and we do take your feedback seriously.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5