High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Stayed at two hostels in Edinburgh and this was my favorite location, just steps away from the Royal Mile in a gorgeous old building. Has lots of character, and is comfortable, safe and quiet. I stayed in an all-female dorm and everyone was quiet and respectful of each other. Staff friendly, professional, & helpful. Nice breakfast of toast, fruit, juice, coffee & tea for under 2 pounds. Only downside was somewhat awkward shared showers that seemed less private than other hostels I stayed at.

This hostel is located just in the centre of Edinburgh, with short walking distance to both stations. Regarding security, there is a receptionist 24/7, your room is locked and there are lockers inside. Rooms are big enough unless all of you have big suitcases. Nice breakfast for 1,90 GBP. Wi-Fi only in the main hall. What's most amazing is a shower. Both funny surprise and quite spacious and pleasant.

Wonderful atmosphere and respect among all the guests. Clean bathrooms, easily accessible kitchen, and plenty of common space. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I was sad to leave!

• 12th Sep 2014

The hostel was very convenient to the railway station. The kitchen was very good. The bathrooms and showers on the floor were very small.

a great hostel, i never was in a hostel before, and the experience was really good! the hostel is in the middle of the old town which is perfect coz you're at 10 minutes by walk to all the main attractions. u dont have to spend money for transports. people at the hostel were really nice, they help u everytime u need or u ask them anything. i truly recommend this place. greetings from belgium! :)

• 9th Sep 2014
  • Spain

Everything was amazing about this hostel. Staff, kitchen ,common areas, room especially location.One of the best hostel I"ve ever been to.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Turkey

Great hostel!!!!

Excellent hostel. I would add power sockets in the toilet so people can shave. Super cheap. Clean. Please add WiFi on the whole hostel or at least the kitchen as the common area near the reception gets very crowded.

High Street Hostel is a special place. Whether you're passing through or there for a longer period, you'll immediately find a very welcoming community and not just in the staff members. It's a terrific atmosphere and as my first hostel experience, I was not expecting it to be such a tightly run ship. The place is very clean and you see how much effort the staff puts into keeping this place somewhere you're happy to come home to after a day (or night) out.

• 30th Aug 2014
  • Puerto Rico

A huge thanks for having accepted me and my 2 teenagers. We really enjoyed the stay in your hostel and I'll warmly recommand it to my friends.

Very well located, very nice staff, I was there for a conference and I had a nice stay. I would recommend it! definitely.

Awesome place at this cost!!Gr8 Growingg!!

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • India

The hostel was nice, with decent beds and in an outstanding location. The price was fair, especially during the Fringe Festival, though we booked in advance. The lockers were pretty small- not nearly big enough for my bag. The staff and residents partied super loud all night and it was impossible to sleep. Staff was drunk or high. Had to complain 4+ times within 2 hours one night. I paid for a place to SLEEP, not party. It was like being with 50 1st time 18 year-old drinkers :-/

• 19th Aug 2014

We stayed here 4 nights. The place is clean enough and the breakfast cost was very low. The price for the bed wasn't as low as other hostels but it wasn't too much.

This hostel had the best atmosphere out of any I've stayed at. Our check-in guy was super nice and remembered us during our whole stay, I wish I could remember his name. Really can't beat this hostel's location either. Beds were okay, comfy enough and the place could be cleaner, but definitely worth the stay.

Everything is very good!! But can't charge my mobile in the room :(

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

Good hostel in a great location. The fridges need replacing (with more if possible)

I had a perfectly good stay! There isn't a luggage room you just leave your bags in a pile in the lobby which is weird-different but I wasn't concerned. The staff was nice and the wifi was good! (In the common area)

The double room is really small, the only place for the luggage is under the bed and nothing else to put your stuff on. Breakfast is cheap compared to Edinburgh prices and you can eat as much as you like. Great position, just a few steps from the Royal Mile and few minutes walk from Waverley Station.. Sad note: due to laptop and smartphone, hostels nowadays are no more good places to meet people, but only to see strangers updating their Facebook status.

The rooms are tiny and the wifi connection is only at the reception area, but otherwise a very nice hostel right in the heart of Edinburgh, and the staff is really friendly and helpful.