High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Good hostel

That was my second stay and I can´t recommend a better located place. The staff is super friendly, the atmosphere in the hostel is nice and the price is excellent.

• 30th Mar 2015

Staff were amazing! Helpful and very friendly. Location cannot be beat - right in the heart of the city. Great value - would definitely stay here again!

Nicest staff ever ! However, the heating system is a bit nightmarish and even though our room was very small, it was either freezing or burning. We had a sheet and a duvet and asked for a blanket but were answered that there was none (would be easier than managing the heating I think but ok). One of the boiler was not working, so no hot water nor water pressure at some hours but well that happens... Surroundings are noisy at night and on the morning but great location in the city !

Several great things about this hostel: The staff are all super helpful and knowledgable, the rooms are big with power outlets for each bed. Bathrooms are very clean. there's a great kitchen and dining area, so preparing your own food is easy and meeting people in the lounge area is very comfortable. The location CAN NOT BE BEAT! Only one small disadvantage: the beds are rock hard! But its still easy to sleep if you've been seeing the city all day.

Is a good hostel. The showers could be better. And the water was not hot enough. Anyway, a good place right in center of Edinburgh.

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologise about the water temperature. That was a temporary issue that has since been fixed.

I had a really great time at this hostel. The pub crawl held on Thursday night was really fun, free and a great way to meet friendly people.

I seriously loved this hostel. For the price, you get a fun, clean place to stay. It's one of the few hostels I've found that has hot showers with good water pressure and a decent bed. And it was obvious they were very clean, as the towels in the bathrooms were changed at least 5 times a day. It's close to the major attractions as well. The breakfast was basic but cheap, so you can't complain. Highly highly recommend!!

I get up early and like to read until i go to where i am going. It is not considerate to put a light on in the morning at 4.30 - 5am so i went looking for a quiet place within the hostel to read. I went to reception. Every time i went there, when the manager was not present himself, the staff ALWAYS had their loud music on or were watching television full blast. When i asked one of them to turn his music down so i could read he said 'The music is not loud'. There was only myself and him the

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you about your experience. After you brought the issue to my attention I had a chat with everyone involved and I think you'd agree that the issue was resolved there and then. Our staff is generally regarded as exceptionally helpful and friendly and your concerns were taken seriously and the music had been turned down for you. It's unfortunate that this incident has tainted your overall experience of our hostel, which you told me you otherwise liked

Best place yet.

Good place to stay for bed, shower, and wifi. Very central location.

No enough space in figiders.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Not bad! Good location, comfy bed. I just wanted a place to sleep and got it. The 6 guy room got a bit smelly and moist overnight but that's to be expected. Pretentious room/bed naming, but it's more memorable that way I guess. Free coffee in the morning was a nice touch.

I enjoyed my stay at High Street Hostel, but the staff was not very engaging with guests.

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear you had a good time at High Street Hostel. The vast majority of our feedback compliments our staff on being friendly and helpful. I am sorry to hear you did not have the same experience. Busy check-in times can sometimes put pressure on our staff but they are always there for our guests and we are constantly trying to improve and we do take your feedback seriously.

The NICEST common room and Kitchen I have ever seen. Right in the centre of the city, a five minute walk to the castle, the National Gallery, the Writers Museum, etc. It doesn't matter that they charge for breakfast, because it's dirt cheap AND with the open Kitchen you can easily buy food and cook for yourself (which is not at all cramped or awkward like other Hostel Kitchens I've been in). Rooms are nice and airy. The common room in the basement is great and they show movies and free tea!

For the money I paid I expected more than just a tiny little room that was literally filled up with one bed already. Cold air got through the window during the night and we couldn't do anything about it. There was a bad smell in pretty much all rooms but I don`t know where it came from. Maybe hostels have a lower standard in Scotland than Germany but I was rather disappointed. Nice was the cooking dining area and the truly international atmosphere.

I am sorry to hear that your experience at our hostel did not meet your expectations. The room you booked was advertised as a basic double room and you will find that the price was very reasonable compared to a similar rooms around the city. Our building has a lot of history and we are constantly trying to improve to meet modern demands. I am glad that you liked our lounge and kitchen and judging from the international atmosphere you describe I hope you still had a great time in our hostel.

It was incredible, best hostel I have stayed in all over Europe. Great atmosphere, brilliant people and fantastic kitchen. one amazing thing was there was always fresh towels in the bathrooms. Great hostel overall! :)

• 10th Mar 2015

Great hostel! Would definitely stay again and recommend to other travellers! Thank you for making our time in Edinburgh that much better.

This hostel was really nice. For the price and the location , it is very affordable. We were barely 10-15min from everything starting from Edinburgh's castle to the shopping areas. The room was nice enough, 5 floors to go up (and no lift so you better be sure you want the 2 people rooms!) always cleaned really well, even tho. the biggest problem is the bunk bed : the ladder which only has 2 steps and it's the hardest to get on there! (seriously it needs one more step as least) .

Great location, staff, and clean. Would recommend this to anyone looking to stay in Edinburgh