High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Internet was not the greatest; it only worked in the main area. The staff was super friendly and awesome with insights into the city! There was a neat pub across the way that gave a discount to hostel members and overall it was a good experience. The only thing was that the site advertised luggage holding but it was in the main area not really stowed away so it was at your own risk.

• 13th Jun 2014

Good breakfast(great price value)

• 12th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

A pleasant stay in a great hostel.

• 11th Jun 2014

Great Location, wifi only on ground floor, no plugs, good lockers

Fantastic location, staff very professional and would stop again or recommend.

very clean convenient and comfortable but no wifi in room

• 7th Jun 2014
  • China

Very close to all the main tourist sites in Edinburgh. Staff is friendly and helpful.

This was my second time staying at this hostel and I love it! Good location, the staff are so friendly and helpful and all the facilities are clean and easy to use. I stayed in the 8 bed female dorm which was large and spacious and the beds are comfortable. I definitely recommend this hostel!

Wish I could have stayed longer. Lots of thoughtful touches - such as free individual lockers - make all the difference. The atmosphere was very homely and the location is perfect if you want to stay in Old Town. Staff were chatty and friendly and prices are low. If I had to make a criticism then the beds are quite uncomfy, but when you're paying around ten pound a night, what can you expect. I don't think there was wifi, but there's loads of internet cafes around Edinburgh if you're desperate!

Excellent Location, friendly staff and ccol atmosphere. Wifi sometimes not available and one of our rooms smells a little bit like a stable.

This hostel has a great location only about one hundred feet from high street, giving easy access to most of the sites including the palace and castle.

Had a lovely one night stay here. Edinburgh is wonderful and High Street Hostel is lovely, and a wonderful central location. I would stay here again next time I'm in Edinburgh.

• 25th May 2014

High street hostel is in the perfect location. So close to the bus station and a short walk to city center. The common areas are amazing! Heaps of comfy couches and tables & chairs to fit everyone, even when we were 6 hours early for check in they let us hang out. Breakfast is so cheap between 80p - £1.90, and huge kitchen area to cook your own meals which was so good especially for travellers on a budget. Definitely reccomend and would stay here again next time im in Edinburgh!

The bathrooms and showers are not female/male separated . Either way, I think it is a good thing to know before you make a reservation. You cannot get a better location, and the walking tour the hostel recommended was wonderful (mostly due to our fantastic guide, Dave). The hostel only really has wifi in reception, which gives the lounge a unique atmosphere - it is always packed with really antisocial people.

I spent two nights in this hostel and everything was excellent. Very kind staff and it has all facilities you can need.

Great location, but not sure I'd recommend this to solo travellers - if you go alone, you'll likely stay alone for your visit. also the bed (or at least, mine) was a 2 inch layer of foam, really not very comfortable. But you can't argue with the location, and the staff know what they are talking about, and are friendly too. Not a bad hostel, but not as good as I had hoped from reading previous reviews.

This is a fantastic hostel, which I've used for the past 3yrs for the Fringe. Very central, clean, and friendly staff. Spacious kitchen/ lounge. Social things are encouraged (eg. burger night and similar). I love the showers! My friend (in her 70's) stayed with me this time, and also could find nothing bad to say about it. Only thing to mention is no electrical sockets in the rooms, but plenty in all the communal areas, so there's always somewhere to charge your phone :-). I'll be back!

• 24th May 2014

fantastic hostel. friendly staff, very helpful

Nice hostel. Wifi almost everywhere, great location, the pooltablesticks needs some reparing,but I guess they now that by now, the beds are good, helpfull staff.

Welcoming staff, friendly and outgoing fellow travellers. The kitchen has everything you need to cook a meal and there is a big dining room. Very well located, 50 metres away from the royal mile, very close (less than 10 minutes on foot) to Waverley Train Station and less than 15 minutes on foot from Elder Street Bus Station.