High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Friendly staff, really nice breakfast for a small price, even Edinburgh been a small city, the location was perfect, we could go everywhere walking, and all areas was really clean. That was a short stay, but we stay in the fifth or fourth floor, and no lift, so if you have a big and heavy luggage that could be a problem. And the internet just work in the commum areas not in the bedroom.

• 14th Jul 2014

Enjoyed my stay even though it was just 2 nights. I was in the 18 bed mix and surprisingly slept right through the night. Thought that the receptionists were awesome, very resourceful and kind.

Fantastic location right off the royal mile! Good room set up, bathroom facilities were fine and pretty clean. Staff VERY helpful! However when I went down for the breakfast, which was the only time I would go to the common room, I felt like it wasn't very clean. My arms kept getting stuck to the table.. Heard this from several others too :(

Wi-Fi can't be used in our room (level 7) No computers available to borrow but cleanliness was pretty good in our room, and kitchen

• 5th Jul 2014
  • Japan

We enjoyed our stay at High Street, the only negative was all the stairs ahhhhh.

• 4th Jul 2014

Great place! Beautiful dorm, just the showers not so great.

The location was great. I liked that the lockers that are in the rooms come with a key, so you don't have to worry about bringing your own lock. The beds were pretty uncomfortable, though.

Beautiful hostel in a very suggestive building. We stayed in a double but only for 1 night do can't judge too well. The kitchen is big and well equipped, breakfast 1.90£ is ok, and you can have coffee, milk or tea for free! We'll be back!

Wonderful experience. We hope to return!

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Uruguay

Fit the bill, but not ideal. Rather garish decoration and a strange, unpleasant smell in the stairway.

the breakfast is worth the money, good deal i like that they had a give-a-book, take-a-book system

Amazing experience. I traveled with my sister and one friend and we all had a great time. Staff was super friendly and very very hepful. Great atomosphere. GREAT location. Very safe. Free coffee and tea is a nice touch as well. Only things to be aware of are that there are not many power outlets, so plan accordingly. We will definitely stay there again if/when we get back to Edinburgh.

Hostel was perfect, friendly staff, nice location and when I had a doubt they were always helpful.

Good for any pace. Nice and quite lounge room, and really helpful staff. Excellent location, comfy beds.

• 24th Jun 2014

Great hostel!

You have to pay for the breakfast! I was woken up by a guy vacuum cleaning our room at around 11am. Also quite inflexible - wanted to leave one night earlier than booked and asked 24h in advance but was told that they need to know 48h in advance in order to get a refund...

• 21st Jun 2014

Hi, the breakfast is optional, we do have a fully equipped kitchen should you want to make your own breakfast. Sorry you were upset about the cancellation policy however the Hostelworld page is quite clear that you do need to provide 48 hours notice of cancellations.

The High Street Hostel offers affordable acommodation provision in the bustling heart of Edinburgh, with good amenities and friendly, efficient staff. The hostel affords the budget-conscious traveller a relaxing respite from the rigours of backpacking and touristic travel alike. The dorm rooms are relatively small but comfortable and the communal areas have a quirky, inimitable character conspiring to give a satisfying hostelling experience. So, despite a few minor inconveniences, okay hostel!!!

Excellent hostel - very friendly staff - would definitely stay here again next time I am in Edinburgh

• 20th Jun 2014

We booked a twin room but were given a room with a small double and a bunk attached above - very uncomfortable in a tiny room. The showers were also very small and in a shared male/female area so not the best. I had the feeling we were something of an oddity being over 60. Excellent location though - right in the heart of things. Also good breakfast for a reasonable price.

Pros: Good location off of Main Street in old town. Large kitchen and eating area. Cons: Thin foam pad, Not real mattresses. No wifi in rooms. Only wifi in one small front reception room with seating for ~8 people. Staff relatively unhelpful. Many longer term residents. Facilies need a deep cleaning and refurbishment. Would not stay again.