High Street Hostel Reviews

8 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Perfect location, great facilities, helpful and friendly staff. We didn't try the breakfast, it looked tasty though. Loads of storing space and fridges, kitchen well equipped, ice machine. Massive common room with pool table, book and game corner. One big thank you for a great stay, especially for the girl who checked us in (sorry, we didn't get your name). Keep up the good job :)

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • Poland

This hostel was a perfect location - right in the middle of the Royal Mile, within walking distance of everything you could possibly need. The staff were all fellow backpackers, and the organized pub crawl was a lot of fun. Our only complaint was that the room was small (we had a private twin room), and the lack of railings on the upper bunk bed was a bit disconcerting. Also if you have a private room you have to climb about 4 flights of stairs since there's no lift. Recommended!

This was a great find! It's close to everything, clean, friendly, with good wifi, and a spacious kitchen. I highly recommend it.

Incredible location. 20 steps and you're on the mile! Staff were very helpful which was most welcomed. The Internet strength is pretty terrible. Kept dropping out, and was very slow. Also, thicker mattresses would be nice than the 2cm think ones that were there. But it really was a great price just for the location of the hostel. Would stay here again.

The hostel rooms for once look just like the pictures. I was in an 8 bed and it was much more spacious than most I have been in of the size. The hostel had a fun, cozy atmosphere and the building is great. Staff was friendly and very helpful. My only critique is that they don't have secure locker storage. You are welcome to leave your things in the common space in view of the main desk, but it is not locked up. I had nothing stolen so can't complain, but it does feel a little uncomfortable.

Very secure, and in a great location just off the Royal Mile. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We also really liked that we got 20% off at a nearby pub by showing our hostel card. The negatives were: the lockers in our 4 bed female dorm were ridiculously small...meaning you had to leave your luggage on the floor, and the room was already small. I also was surprised that the top bunks did not have any rails! I was so scared I would fall off. Strange odour throughout entire building.

The house is really old, but pretty cool. Their laundry service was pretty cheap too. Overall, a pretty decent hostel. I would go back.

The location is right in the middle of Edinburgh (old town). The shower stalls were uncomfortably small. The cleanliness of the bedsheets felt a bit dubious. The room itself was cosy and comfortable. The whole place looks a little dinghy but is well-decorated. You must pay for the continental breakfast, but the food was good (peanut butter provided!!). I would recommend the place for a one night stay.

Hostel room and bed is clean, but the bed i have both power point failure and the bed light also not function.

Everything was fine. Nothing to complain about except the beds were HORRIBLE!! My back is still sore. It's a wooden plank bed with a very thin mattress!!

We had a great stay at High Street Hostel. The rooms were nice, facilities okay but clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was great and it is located right at the Royal Mile. The only thing that we found a bit annoying is that we had to show our card every time we entered the hostel, but for the rest it was excellent!

Great hostel! Cozy and welcoming, with a vibrant atmosphere. Ideal location, right off the Royal Mile. Free wifi worked great, kitchen was big and well equipped, and showers were clean. My only complaint is the noise level - it was a bit loud some nights, with traffic, a garbage truck backing up, and pub crawlers returning at midnight. Overall a good experience however.

• 7th Apr 2015

Really nice Hostel with big rooms. Liked my stay there

The location is excellent! Close to railway station and also in the city centre. There is free wifi & also a computer you can use at the reception, the price is 50 pents for 30-mins. The room is small, but it's related to the rate. My only concern is there is no hot water in one of the 2 bathrooms on the 7/F, which I had a cold bath at night.

Stayed in the 4 person room. Excellent place to stay in Edinburgh! Definitely would recommend. Water wasn't that warm, wifi was a little weak but I'm not complaining too much! Compared to other hostels, this one is great!

fantastic hostel to stay at I was here for a month and had no issues what so ever! The staff are super friendly, as I worked nights mainly ran into Paul who was fantastic and you always felt he would go out of his way to help you out! Even the cleaning staff was great as I slept most mornings because of work they were super quite and it was always a proper job! Any issues were fixed straight away, showers had great pressure, and every bed has a charger (because admit it that's important!)9.5/10

• 1st Apr 2015

nice and well equipped kitchen with a spacious common area: really nice.

Good hostel

That was my second stay and I can´t recommend a better located place. The staff is super friendly, the atmosphere in the hostel is nice and the price is excellent.

• 30th Mar 2015

Staff were amazing! Helpful and very friendly. Location cannot be beat - right in the heart of the city. Great value - would definitely stay here again!