Hilltop Hostel

Very Good 710 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 25-30
10th Jul 2017
7.1

Nice hostel, very close to the metro and excellent staff. Takoma is a beautiful neighborhood despite being so far from the centre. Hostel was fairly empty while I was there unfortunately and there aren't lockers in the dorms.

26th Jun 2017

Great location for tourism, easy access to Main Metro, yet away from the city; fun people to be round, helpful. Highly recommend and will return, especially to the 'bird paradise' in the back yard!! Thanks to all!! Satira

• USA, Male, 18-24
11th Jun 2017
6.9

The hostel is in a great location and has a funky atmosphere that I really enjoyed. There are a couple of older men that hang around the hostel (they are the owner's friends from what I understand) that are a bit unfriendly and made me slightly uncomfortable. With that aside, this is an OK hostel with a great owner, which makes for an interesting stay. I'd recommend it if you want to be near UMD, but if you are trying to visit D.C., try to get something in the city.

• Colombia, Female, 25-30
8th Jun 2017
6.0

It was good, people is very nice, specially John was very friendly and helpful. BUT there are some mice (or rats) that eat some of our food, the furniture is very old they look dirty, and there are a lot of flies in the living room.

30th May 2017
5.1

Location is ok, staffs are nice, but sanitation is very concerning in this hostel. Found a dead fly under my bed sheet, flies were everywhere and there was a weird odor in the hostel when I entered. Got sensitive skin so had been itching for all my stay there. If you don't really care, then it's a good budget place for you, but I wouldn't recommend this hostel as on average it's just not that clean.

• Colombia, Male, 31-40
27th May 2017

I think it's one of the best. Love the family style and layback climate in there. Hitting Olive's bar is mandatory and you'll likely meet your host there too. The neighborhood itself has improved a lot and is really nice to walk around.

• Australia, Female, 18-24
16th May 2017
7.7

Other than the lockers being located far from the rooms, this place was lovely! cute and right next to the train station, perf!

• USA, Male, 41+
28th Apr 2017
7.4

I am uncomfortable writing a review because I do not not stay at enough hostels to have a database to compare against. Also, each individual experience is subject to what other guests happen to be there at the same time. I do want to say though that I found the descriptions of Hilltop Hostel on their website to be accurate. I would stay there again.

• England, Male, 25-30
27th Apr 2017
3.1

It was such a bad experience. No fans or AC when it's 90F and very humid. Bed sheets were not clean. Owner didn't seem to care. Owner said it was cash only. When I asked for a towel he seemed almost annoyed I asked.

• USA, Female, 41+
20th Apr 2017

I'm not the usual client for a hostel but I've stayed here two times for an annual conference and I've thoroughly enjoyed my stay both times. It is a great place with really amazing folks to meet and share time with. I probably won't be able to stay here next year mostly because my age (my knees) precludes it. I can't hack the stairs again. I will miss the camaraderie and easy living! I like being able to cook when I'm there -- keeps food costs down! Overall just a really nice place!