Hilltop Hostel Reviews

300 Carroll St, 20012, NW, Washington DC, USA

The staying in the Hostel was really Good, location is excellent but also the staff was really friendly, cooperative, the hostel is in General clean and tidy, Definitely worth every penny, Lorry the hostel Manager, ownere is a professional and Nice Samir

• 14th Oct 2013
  • Egypt

security very poor- only a code is needed to enter the hostel. no locks on room doors, so anyone with the code to enter the hostel can have access to the rooms. no lockers in rooms. also strangers can enter the hostel without the code easily from the back door. The staff moved my belongings from one room to another while I was out, having first emailed me but did not wait for permission. however it made me feel insecure and unrespected.

• 20th Aug 2013

It's right beside of Takoma station, but has stairs. It was really hard for me to take 2 luggage with me. However, staffs were really nice and people were almost travelers or students waiting for dorms. Nobody touches your things which was nice. It depends on what room you are in like when to get up. I use to get up 7 in morning, but all of people in my room woke up at 9 so I had to be quiet until then.

There are to really enough showers/toilets; you often have to wait a long time. The hostel is very basis and does not offer anything to make your stay there memorable or exciting.

The bathroom situation is a little annoying, a 1 hour wait in the morning to use the shower is too long. An additional fan per room wouldn't hurt, either. Other than that, I really enjoyed my stay!

• 12th Jul 2013

Hostel was friendly place to stay, a couple staying at the same time had beer, food & a small travel pillow stolen, but the lockers in the basement are good. There are some long term people staying there on and off, but they are pretty interesting & add to the character of the place. Location is away from all the sites, but it's a very easy metro ride into the main centre, metro was safe, location felt a little dingy, but at no time did I feel unsafe. Washing machine didn't clean just filled!

If you want to see Washington DC go to hiltop hostel the atmosphere are good in that hostel only thing it was so hot in the rooms at night but everything els was great i booked in a mixed room and exuly got all girls room. Thank you for making my trip to DC worth it. And they know were Namibia was AWESOMENESS!!!

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Namibia

The place feels more like a drug-dealing ring than a hostel. It's next to the Takoma station which is nice, but definitely re-consider before booking. The guy running the place was very helpful but other than that avoid if at all possible!

The staff is really nice, and you can see they do it more by passion than to earn money. The hostel is more like a big house, with a nice garden, a pation where you can eat, a hamac... Its really close to the subway and to some useful facilities (post office, bars, liquor store, seven-eleven and other grocery stores). There were mostly "old people" around 40-50 years, so we were disapointed because that's not what we were looking for in a backpackers hostel, but some people our age came after.

no character, i was treated like an inconveniece when attempting to check in, leaving me to wait 20 minutes while the staff argued. the room was stuffy, and the bedding looked filthy with uncomfortable plastic covers on the matress. the location was good right oposite the subway stop, but in general it was a disappointment.

Enjoyed my stay at the Hilltop Hostel very much. Stewart and the other staff members were very friendly and helpful. When planing my next visit to our Nations Capital, I will deffinately be looking at staying at the Hilltop Hostel again

• 14th Jun 2013

Thank you for a wonderful stay! Everything was great. Having an internet connection and some advice really helped me to get my apartment in order. Thanks again!

• 12th Jun 2013

Need some repair

• 10th Jun 2013

The trip on the Metro may be a few stops more but the hostel is just across the street to the left. Very little walking like other places. So for Spring

• 8th Jun 2013

Absolutely amazing hostel! Clean, excellent services, next to the train station, incredible patio! Fantastic! I would surely go then again and recommend it!

The overall experience was very good (4-night stay), apart from a few things like the lack of a/c (which was OK in the current DC weather) or the manager's office opening 30 minutes later than scheduled. The highlights were the availability of kitchen/fridges, coded lock on the front door, fairly fast wifi, and a marvelous back porch/yard. The neighborhood is also very nice and quiet, with everything you need nearby. Some of the guests were quite odd though - bring a padlock for your locker!

Me and my friend found this was the most welcoming, laid back place we have stayed. Would 100% stay there again. An amazing time with great people!

Just amazing, only problem was the unbearable heat during the morning with only one fan for the whole room 11, but still worthy to go back.

They have a fulsbol table, an outdoor grill for bbqs, awesome staff and a full fledged kitchen - and no one stole from the fridge while I was there!

• 22nd May 2013
  • Singapore

The location is good near to metro station.

View all Washington DC Hostels