Hillview House Reviews

Hillview House, 26 Merlewood Road, Inverness, Inverness, Scotland

Great location, good base for exploring Dublin. Good breakfast included in price. Rooms especially bathroom could do with a good clean

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Very lovely room but a little complicated to find

We stayed in a 5 bed dorm. On arrival we found that we were put into what is termed as the "hobbit house". The hobbit house is tiny, there is no room to even put your suitcase in it. The beds are on these skinny bench seats lined up head to toe, which meant that the random person who had the bed next to me, kept kicking my feet at night because there are no dividers between the beds. I ended up leaving the room and sleeping on the couch. Do not stay here.

Good place

• 12th Jul 2014
  • Spain

Very quiet, clean, and comfortable, although it was a bit annoying to have to pay for towels.

Would be helpful if the picture in the Hosteworld ad showed the actual residence and not the Inverness castle.

My comments are based on the fact that we didn´t get what we booked! The accommodation offered was a "hobbit" house next to the main building. The "hobbit" is a wooden building in the backyard with caravanstyle benches down either side & at the head of the room, sleeping 2 down either side and a 5th person at the end. The benches had a thin plastic covered mattress and we got sleepingbags. We complained and the only option offered was to get a refund and look for sth new. Thats what we did.

This is a hostel run by one manager with a nice energy about her. She keep the hostel clean and well organized. The hostel is a bit of a walk from the city center...but a nice walk for the most part along the river...but at night if your walk it would be a bit difficult to find. I stayed in what they call the hobbit, which is a bit cramped but okay for 3 or less people. The biggest problem with the hobbit is that it's set up for 5 beds but way to small if 5 people were booked into it.

I think that the door to the Hobbit Hole can be opened just by pulling hard, regardless of whether or not you use the code. The Hobbit Hole was also a big shock for me. The pictures on the website should definitely show it, but they don't. The atmosphere wasn't what I'm used to for a hostel. The place felt more like a family home. Maybe this is due to the other guests (several families of small children) and not the fault of the hostel, but it wasn't really the vibe I was looking for.

A great host, and a ridiculously large kitchen that's fully equipped for any kind of cooking, the room we has was spacious, and the shower was modern, and efficient. Overall a lovely stay.

Room and facilities were very good, staff especially in the restaurant were especially friendly

A great hostel - a bit out of the way but very clean, modern and friendly.

Really nice and clean hostel. Situated in a quiet area but you can go walking to the city centre through a really nice walk near the Ness River. Breakfast and parking included is a plus. I would definitely recommend staying here.

We had a great stay at Hillview house in the hobbit and we were very impressed by the nice, spacious and functional kitchen as well as with the large sitting room. There was a slight annoyance though to do with constantly waiting for the toilet to be free, as there only seemed to be one bathroom for those who didn't have an ensuite.

• 9th May 2014

Great Place, more of a house than an typical hostel, a little off the beaten track for location (a few miles from city centre) excellent for quiet stays, staff brilliant, helpful, a great place to stay

WOW! My "excellent" for the Location is for the house itself. It's a good 30min walk from the train station if you're packed, but if not it's like 20mins. But don't bother: the way "home" is the most beautiful you can get - you walk right next to the river. Very very big kitchen, clean rooms, nice common room. I'll go there again!

Very very good experience.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Scotland

It's a great place to stay!, Very clean and comfortable. The location is not the best, but in Inverness distances are not large.