Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, Hawaii, USA

Nice, clean rooms and it's great that you have free breakfast! There could be more showers and toilets though.. But anyhow a good place to stay:)!

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

They provide free transportation to the hostel if you stay for two or more consecutive nights. Location is pretty good because it's near the pacific tsunami museum and 5 minutes walk from the bus terminal.

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Singapore

As soon as I landed and spoke with the hostel staff, they sent a taxi, Roy to pick me up with in 10 mins at no cost. The internet was amazingly fast. No complaints at all. Gloria

• 28th Mar 2014

It's a good laid back vibe, well furnished (tastefully), Comfy beds and lounges, and directly across the road from the cinema with $2 movies. And there is an ATM and bank basically next door.

Friendly staff, awesome atmosphere! Didn't have much of a kitchen but lots of good restaurants around. A would recommend.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel desperately needs more bathrooms. Most days you foud yourself waiting for someone to use the bathroom even if you were in a hurry. However staff were awesome and helpful.

Great hostel, one of the best we've been so far. very friendly staff, JARED,manager,he IS A LEGEND! We had great time there, with very interesting people we have met and definitely we will get back to The hostel again. Thanks for the memories.!!! Margo&M

• 21st Feb 2014
  • Poland

We had a pleasant stay at Hilo Backpackers. Very friendly and professional staff, clean, near to the beach, not far away from shoppingcenter.

This is a great hostel that has an atmosphere suited to all types of travellers. The manager is very helpful also. Hilo is great place to base yourself whilst on the Big Island.

I liked the atmosphere of easy going and relaxed staff and guests. The staff at hostel was very helpful and offered advices when it was asked.

• 17th Feb 2014

A nice, clean hostel with friendly staff. The area around the hostel can seem a little unseemly at night, but that's Hilo. Appreciated the free airport pickup.

Brilliant place.Helpfull staff.Perfect location.Highly recommended.

Very friendly, relaxed, quiet environment, spacious place. Jed the manager, fabolous person, throughly enjoyed, I'd highly recommend the hostel.

• 6th Feb 2014

The hostel is nice and clean. Unfortunately the town is quite boring and there is not much to do there. I think there could be more bathrooms and not just one for so many pepole. Otherwise it's a nice place.

Excellent service but you don't feel the same atmosphere than other hostels. It's a bit colder than what you can expect from that kind of place. But I need to admit that was really clean and well maintain.

I love the staff at Hilo Backpackers hostel. I too work at a hotel so I understand how to treat my guests as how I've been treated by Jerrad who works in the hostel. An amazing funny and patient guy who does everything for guests . I love his wit and his character! I can't give him less than 5 star customers service!

Staff was really nice and went out of their way to give us a free pick up at the airport even though our plane was delayed. Free breakfast was an awesome gesture and the papayas were amazing+and I don't even like papayas! Wish there was more choices than jam and P.B. for the bread+for those who don't have a sweet tooth. Other than that, the place was clean, people were friendly. BUT! That was the first and last time I'm sleeping in a dorm, just not for me.

• 20th Jan 2014

Everything was clean. Maybe not too many bathrooms. Awkward atmosphere. Reception guy is nice, but likes to take naps behind the reception or in the common room, bit weird.

Look forward to the next time we stay there! Jared is an awesome asset to this location.

• 12th Jan 2014

It is impossible if you have never been to Hilo to find this hostel. The vibe there is also strange. It is very clean and quiet and right near the main drag of Hilo. Rent a car. You will be bored, or reliant on the bus system which is lacking, otherwise.