Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Room was nice! Bathrooms very clean but only one per gender upstairs. Location was great for Hilo and staff were very nice. Could do more with the space, there was a lot of clutter and not a great kitchen. Overall satisfied :)

You need a car to get around, not close to the beach. Dorms are ok clean, no lockers in the room. Common area is pretty big but small kitchen, supermarket is around the corner. Drive to volcano is 45-60 minutes.

The staff was so wonderful, friendly, helpful, available, knowledgeable and accomodating. The bathrooms were really clean even though there is just one for men and one for women. I never felt that I had to wait very long to get to use one. There was available snorkeling gear and boogie boards, TV and movies, books, and a complientary breakfast. The hostel is right downtown with easy access to stores, the ocean, and buses. I also got free pick up at the airport with three nights booked.

• 19th Feb 2015

Perfect! Thank you Jared!!

Great location in Hilo, very friendly and helpful staff and pleasant relaxation areas. Take earplugs because it gets noisy outside at night.

• 3rd Feb 2015

The best hostel I've ever stayed in! The american all-carpeted style makes you feel so confy you never want to leave. It's very clean, the location is central, staff is excellent, and the place has HUGE common places

Good locality great common area helpful and friendly staff

Had a great time at Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. Very chilled vibe. My friend and I were satisfied with everything. Jared was really friendly and helped give us recommendations and advice. Would definitely stay there again.

Overall very clean, good value for money. Stayed in the private room. Great size, big comfy bed. Nice staff with good advise on what to do when in Hilo.

• 25th Jan 2015

I liked it here although the overall feeling is a little odd - it is huge and it doesn't feel all that homely. It is cleaner than many hostels I have stayed in in Hawaii - the no shoes, no food upstairs really helped with this. There was a weird double booking so one man was in the 8 all woman dorm...... Iffy wifi The location is good for a base and there are a number of restaurants etc close by. There is free parking which I didn't know I would need but did and that was no problem

We had booked a private room for a couple, but the hostel was overbooked when we arrived. They only gave us a dormitory. But the person in-charge of the hostel reservations- Jared was very friendly and accommodating to give us a free night's stay. He helped us with the baggage by carrying it up for us from the car to the dorms. Our initial apprehension was soon overcome after looking at the spacious rooms which resembled more like a Yoga ashram with calm, quiet and serenity and cleanliness.

Awesome common room, great staff, great facilities. Only possible improvement would be lockers.

Loved it. Clean and nice. One of the coolest host i ever met

• 9th Jan 2015

it was annoying having to pay with cash as there is an international exchange fee for taking money out of an atm so being able to pay with card is necessary.

• 28th Dec 2014

Mahalo for staring with us. Unfortunately, it was written clearly that we did not accept credit cards in our listing at that time. We began to accept credit cards starting January, 2015.

Really cool, chilled out and relaxed place. Loved my time I spent over here and am definitely coming back again. Jared is the man!

I can just repeat other reviews. Jared is the world-best guy (receptionist). He is sooo friendly and helpful to everyone at any time. Like other people said, wi-fi is sometimes slow. There is no really kitchen there (microwave and two things to cook on) are there) and shoes off whenever you enter the building. But I have never seen a cleaner hostel at hawaii. I really enjoyed my stay there. It is a hostel, don´t expect a four star hotel. But really recommendable!!!

• 20th Dec 2014

Very clean. We were in a private room with my boyfriend and the room was nice. The bed feels a little old but reasonnable. There was a movie playing every night. Location si good too, 45 minutes from the volcanoes park ans 1 hour from mauna kea. Dont forget to rent a car tho.

Convenientely located, helpful and kind staff, very clean, quiet and safe. Internationally and open-minded. Outdoor-gear available, breakfast included.

After A 27-hours day of travelling I was welcomed warm-heartely and introduced to the houserules, which help maintain the excellent standards for a hostel. It is not only a safe and quiet place to stay, but the hostel is also a good choice when you'd like to connect with other travelers. The staff is also very helpful, easy-going and always open for a chat. Thank you (Jarett)!

Overall, it's a good hostel for a short stay, but the city of Hilo is a bit borring. Staff is very nice and helpful.