Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

This is a fantastic hostel! I just wish I could have stayed there longer! Dorm rooms are well aired, and clean. The downstairs area is amazing! There is a big communal space with super comfy couches, a giant TV screen and a table. The place has a really cozy feel to it, and it's super affordable! I highly recommend this place!

• 23rd Jul 2014

Had a great time. Met some great people from other parts of the world, The staff was friendly, helpful, and professional. My only issue is that it was not clear that I could not pay with credit, and that cash only was accept for payment.

• 20th Jul 2014

Pros: Jared was really awesome, always around, helpful and friendly. Common rooms are huge, comfy furniture, big TV, good DVD selection, book exchange, few rooms, good Wi-Fi. Cons: No real kitchen, only 1 microwave and 1 hotplate. 3 single bathrooms. No lockers in dorms, no small lights at the bunks. Wall in women's dorm does not go to the ceiling so always quite bright at night. Overall I really enjoyed my stay here, as Jared and the atmosphere made up for the minor inconveniences!

• 13th Jul 2014

Great place. Huge building. One of the cleanest I've seen so far. Staff very helpful. Nothing to complain about!!!

the staff is awesome. the hostel is awesome as well it is a huge place with few rooms, it is a very relaxing place. If i ll go back to Hilo I ll stay there again and again

Each to there own.....

We stayed 5 nights at Hilo Backpackers and really enjoyed it. After one night they moved us to a bigger private room without asking for it. We liked that there are only 5 rooms (3 dorms, 2 privates). So the atmosphere was more private. We missed it immediately when we came to Honolulu. Jared really cares and helped at all kinds of questions.

Good location in dowtown Hilo. The staff is friendly, and facilities are clean, but it's a little bit expensive (like everywhere else in Hawai'i, on the other hand).

Very good hostel, clean and relax. The Staff is very helpful!

Yhe hostel is good, it would have better if it had a laundry or a place to hang the clothes.

I've decided to stay awhile longer. I've had no issues or problems with the staff here. Always willing to help me find a new spot to explore. One of the best staffs here in Hilo.

• 6th Jun 2014

Jared is the man! Hostel is well located, clean and secure, but Hilo isn't a big town. We stayed there for 2 nights (Mauna Kea, Akaka Falls, Volcano National Park) before going to the west side of the island. Staff (Jared) was very helpful and present. Gave us good recommendations and even recorded Game of Thrones finale for us! Atmosphere in the lobby was good. Don't expect a big kitchen there though, only portable stove tops. Overall, a great place to stay if you're on the east coast.

There is not really a kitchen available, means just 2 plates for cooking whats not enough for all the people. Also food preparation area is not big. Wifi everywhere, is fine. 2 big common rooms make it easy to meet people. 1 has a big tv with dvd etc.

Nice place. Close to farmers market and walking distance from coconut island. Good place to meet people. Spacious rooms. Guy at reception makes an effort to get you in touch with people to rent a car etc. which is nice.

First of, the guy who runs the place is a charm and he is the main reason we enjoyed our stay. He's very helpful and available and went out of his way to help us out. Plus the bathrooms are always clean and so is the whole place, which is surprising considering the number of people who stays here. The building is kinda located in a parking lot, wich is a bit gray and concrete...but we learned it was a church that got recycled in a hostel which is a great initiative to save a building.

Kitchen a bit under-equipped (no stove) Bathrooms very clean.

Overall no complaints about the Hostel other than we asked for a double bed and were given two singles. The best thing was the Mauna Kea tour we went on, AMAZING! Mahalo!

Maybe add more choices of food for breakfast.

• 1st May 2014

Fantastic. Food in the morning, fun in the evening, everything you could want.

Although I stayed only one night here, because I was going to Kona, I really enjoyed my stay here. Private room was large and clean, there are good common spaces, TV, books, wi-fi, workout equipment, and even mountain bikes for you to use! I would recommend this hostel to friends.