Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

I couldn't use laundry machine that was there. It was very inconvenient. Room was filled with a lot of mosquitos. It was awful. Kitchen was clean. Rooms and bathroom was dirty.

Now, I'm not a neat freak, nor am I phased by a dirty environment. Although, when I see both young and mature roaches come out of the toaster and dining chairs, it raises some red flags for me. The dorm area and upstairs bathrooms, however, were clean. This place closed up shop the day I checked out. Just wanted to throw that put there.

Hilo Backpacker's Hostel is a peaceful place to live. They have a no food rule near living area which is mainly to prevent rodent and roaches. Jared the person incharge of the place is a very nice person, polite and helpful. They have a big recreational area and no restriction for drinking in recreational area. This hostel is near from volcanoes national park but please do not depend on bus for transportation as buses don't run on Sunday and other days it runs till 5pm.

Overpriced for the quality, but there is only one other choice in town for hostels. If you were traveling with a group I suggest a car rental and camping instead. Dark and oddly set up, like a hostel in a warehouse downstairs. Wifi was good enough to Skype.

I had a really great time here, the atmosphere from the moment I walked in was the greatest of all hostels I've stayed. The common room is stunningly impressive, the staff very helpful and relaxed, it's well placed in downtown Hilo, and it was easy enough to get a good night's sleep.

• 4th Jul 2015

The hostel is close to the beach and great really cheap farmers market. It has a really unique spirit and wonderful staff . Had very good stay in there.

Yes hostels are supposed to laid back and chill, but the workers at this one seemed borderline unprofessional - sleeping on the couches, etc. There were roaches everywhere - like roaches in the toaster where we were suppose to make our breakfast and roaches crawling over the fruit bowl

• 23rd Jun 2015

Knowledgeable staff!

nice open space concept, with plenty of areas to hang out. very helpful staff.

It cost 30 a Night and you get a Hostel and Service for not more than 15 Dollar

• 9th Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We wish you could tell us what exact services we missed to make your stay happier. We picked you up for free when you arrived at the Airport, carried both of your luggages upstairs, helped you plan your stay in Hilo, provided free local phone service & WiFi, and free breakfast. We thought the things we provided you was fair enough. We are not a hotel but a hostel where you share rooms. We wonder if this review is meant for another hostel you stayed in Captain Cook.