Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Location was in walking distance to lots of good stores and restuarants and also a movie theater. I met people from around the world who I got to hang with and know. It was a awesome experience for me at Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. Even the taxi service was amazing! Highly recommended.

• 8th Apr 2015

The Hilo Backpackers is kind of a good deal i you just need a place to stay not an actual family or nice place to stay in a long time. is only one bathroom for women and the doors don't !). They acutally have a lot of free stuff (snorkel equipment, boogie boards,..) but they are all dirty. All in all a place to stay for a night or two but definitely not more

• 4th Apr 2015

Very friendly staff! Met a lot of nice people there :)

• 31st Mar 2015

I meet a lot of nice people there!!! And I really miss the German guy who was talkative with me in that 2 nights(1/4). I really really miss him. Could anyone help me to find him?:'( The facility was ok there, not that clean but still acceptable. The location was excellent! In downtown and near farmer market! I spent 2 days there and didn't feel boring. I love Hilo!!! Anyway, plz help me to find him!

• 30th Mar 2015
  • Macau

Nice and friendly personnel, the only issue is the showers. There is just one shower available for all people on second floor...this is clearly not enough..

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Thanks for staying with us. We did show you three separate toilets and showers in the hostel.take care

Very clean, tidy, plenty of space, the staff are brilliant and help you out with everything you need to know, and are great at introducing you to the other backpackers to get some friends and adventures started! Only minor complaint is that the bathrooms could use a bit of an update.

Jared and Jared were awesome.

Positive: the staff is wonderful!! They are the reason i wanna come back, and the super cozy common area. I met a lot of nice people during my stay and I really felt like home here, espacially since i was dissapointed with Hilo in general. But the Hostel was fantastic! Negative: i miss lockers and laundry machines. You have to walk a bit to do laundry at a landrymaut, and it was quit expensive aswell...

• 9th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Room was nice! Bathrooms very clean but only one per gender upstairs. Location was great for Hilo and staff were very nice. Could do more with the space, there was a lot of clutter and not a great kitchen. Overall satisfied :)

Perfect and cozy place to staystay with excellent staff ... Thank you guys ... hope to come back again soon :o)!

You need a car to get around, not close to the beach. Dorms are ok clean, no lockers in the room. Common area is pretty big but small kitchen, supermarket is around the corner. Drive to volcano is 45-60 minutes.

The staff was so wonderful, friendly, helpful, available, knowledgeable and accomodating. The bathrooms were really clean even though there is just one for men and one for women. I never felt that I had to wait very long to get to use one. There was available snorkeling gear and boogie boards, TV and movies, books, and a complientary breakfast. The hostel is right downtown with easy access to stores, the ocean, and buses. I also got free pick up at the airport with three nights booked.

Perfect! Thank you Jared!!

Great location in Hilo, very friendly and helpful staff and pleasant relaxation areas. Take earplugs because it gets noisy outside at night.

• 3rd Feb 2015

The best hostel I've ever stayed in! The american all-carpeted style makes you feel so confy you never want to leave. It's very clean, the location is central, staff is excellent, and the place has HUGE common places

Good locality great common area helpful and friendly staff

Had a great time at Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. Very chilled vibe. My friend and I were satisfied with everything. Jared was really friendly and helped give us recommendations and advice. Would definitely stay there again.

Overall very clean, good value for money. Stayed in the private room. Great size, big comfy bed. Nice staff with good advise on what to do when in Hilo.

• 25th Jan 2015

I liked it here although the overall feeling is a little odd - it is huge and it doesn't feel all that homely. It is cleaner than many hostels I have stayed in in Hawaii - the no shoes, no food upstairs really helped with this. There was a weird double booking so one man was in the 8 all woman dorm...... Iffy wifi The location is good for a base and there are a number of restaurants etc close by. There is free parking which I didn't know I would need but did and that was no problem

We had booked a private room for a couple, but the hostel was overbooked when we arrived. They only gave us a dormitory. But the person in-charge of the hostel reservations- Jared was very friendly and accommodating to give us a free night's stay. He helped us with the baggage by carrying it up for us from the car to the dorms. Our initial apprehension was soon overcome after looking at the spacious rooms which resembled more like a Yoga ashram with calm, quiet and serenity and cleanliness.