Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Knowledgeable staff!

nice open space concept, with plenty of areas to hang out. very helpful staff.

It cost 30 a Night and you get a Hostel and Service for not more than 15 Dollar

• 9th Jun 2015

Thank you for your review. We wish you could tell us what exact services we missed to make your stay happier. We picked you up for free when you arrived at the Airport, carried both of your luggages upstairs, helped you plan your stay in Hilo, provided free local phone service & WiFi, and free breakfast. We thought the things we provided you was fair enough. We are not a hotel but a hostel where you share rooms. We wonder if this review is meant for another hostel you stayed in Captain Cook.

It is very noisy during the night because of the windows - we could hear all the traffic outside. Impossible to sleep.

We enjoyed the friendly staff that was very knowledgeable on island features and activities. We used the hostel as a jumping off location, close to Volcano national park, and the observatory.

• 11th May 2015

We had a generally good stay here. The facilities are all pretty good and clean. The wifi is good too. Security was our only issue, we found the dorm door had been left open during the day by the cleaner as no one else from the dorm had been back all day. Also the dorm keys work for all dorms so not only the people in your room can gain access, a pretty odd system! The two Jared's who work there are good guys and very helpful too.

it was a nice place to begin my travels on he big island. Its no swanky hotel and you get what you pay for but its a good place to crash

• 28th Apr 2015

Good hostel. Excellent staff!!! Minus for not having lockers. That's a pretty big deal when you're sharing a room with strangers.

Super friendly staff! Highly apprectaited their help and kindness! Simple but good breakfast! Comfortable beds.

• 27th Apr 2015

A lot of movie to watch!!

Great hostel with nice beds and a kitchen and 2 common areas., friendly staff that answer any questions. overall top 4night stay.

Pretty average hostel. Location is good - but atmosphere is pretty dull. The kitchen isn't really a kitchen... sort of spread out around the common room. And the common room was really messy - a lot of junk in one corner. Breakfast is pretty small, and the staff weren't always helpful either.

I've stayed in this hostel for 4 nights, most of the people stay for one night and are very unsocial. However i met 2 people with a car and hang out with them and visited mauna kea and vulcanoes national park with them, i highly recomment these two activities. Oh, don't rely on tours because they never go.

• 18th Apr 2015

My friend and I stayed at the Hilo backpacker hostel for about one week. We felt really welcomed and comfortable. The rooms and bathrooms are nice, airy and clean. The breakfast was good as well toast, jam, coffee and island bananas. The hostel has a bunch of staff like, snorkel equipment, boogie boards and beach towels. The staff was really helpful when we were planing our day trips. He even called a friend to be sure about the date of a night market. Thank you guys

Unfortunately, the hostel wasn't in the cleanest state during my stay: there were piles of dirty linen at the back of the common space and there were small bugs in and around the kitchenette. The staff were happy to help when specifically asked about something, but unfortunately didn't appear to be driven to work to improve the hostel off their own back. The bathroom areas were fortunately pretty clean.

Location was in walking distance to lots of good stores and restuarants and also a movie theater. I met people from around the world who I got to hang with and know. It was a awesome experience for me at Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. Even the taxi service was amazing! Highly recommended.

• 8th Apr 2015

The Hilo Backpackers is kind of a good deal i you just need a place to stay not an actual family or nice place to stay in a long time. is only one bathroom for women and the doors don't !). They acutally have a lot of free stuff (snorkel equipment, boogie boards,..) but they are all dirty. All in all a place to stay for a night or two but definitely not more

Very friendly staff! Met a lot of nice people there :)

• 31st Mar 2015

I meet a lot of nice people there!!! And I really miss the German guy who was talkative with me in that 2 nights(1/4). I really really miss him. Could anyone help me to find him?:'( The facility was ok there, not that clean but still acceptable. The location was excellent! In downtown and near farmer market! I spent 2 days there and didn't feel boring. I love Hilo!!! Anyway, plz help me to find him!

• 30th Mar 2015
  • Macau

Nice and friendly personnel, the only issue is the showers. There is just one shower available for all people on second floor...this is clearly not enough..

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Thanks for staying with us. We did show you three separate toilets and showers in the hostel.take care