Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

We had a generally good stay here. The facilities are all pretty good and clean. The wifi is good too. Security was our only issue, we found the dorm door had been left open during the day by the cleaner as no one else from the dorm had been back all day. Also the dorm keys work for all dorms so not only the people in your room can gain access, a pretty odd system! The two Jared's who work there are good guys and very helpful too.

it was a nice place to begin my travels on he big island. Its no swanky hotel and you get what you pay for but its a good place to crash

• 28th Apr 2015

Good hostel. Excellent staff!!! Minus for not having lockers. That's a pretty big deal when you're sharing a room with strangers.

Super friendly staff! Highly apprectaited their help and kindness! Simple but good breakfast! Comfortable beds.

• 27th Apr 2015

Great hostel with nice beds and a kitchen and 2 common areas., friendly staff that answer any questions. overall top 4night stay.

Pretty average hostel. Location is good - but atmosphere is pretty dull. The kitchen isn't really a kitchen... sort of spread out around the common room. And the common room was really messy - a lot of junk in one corner. Breakfast is pretty small, and the staff weren't always helpful either.

I've stayed in this hostel for 4 nights, most of the people stay for one night and are very unsocial. However i met 2 people with a car and hang out with them and visited mauna kea and vulcanoes national park with them, i highly recomment these two activities. Oh, don't rely on tours because they never go.

• 18th Apr 2015

My friend and I stayed at the Hilo backpacker hostel for about one week. We felt really welcomed and comfortable. The rooms and bathrooms are nice, airy and clean. The breakfast was good as well toast, jam, coffee and island bananas. The hostel has a bunch of staff like, snorkel equipment, boogie boards and beach towels. The staff was really helpful when we were planing our day trips. He even called a friend to be sure about the date of a night market. Thank you guys

• 14th Apr 2015

Unfortunately, the hostel wasn't in the cleanest state during my stay: there were piles of dirty linen at the back of the common space and there were small bugs in and around the kitchenette. The staff were happy to help when specifically asked about something, but unfortunately didn't appear to be driven to work to improve the hostel off their own back. The bathroom areas were fortunately pretty clean.

Location was in walking distance to lots of good stores and restuarants and also a movie theater. I met people from around the world who I got to hang with and know. It was a awesome experience for me at Hilo Backpacker's Hostel. Even the taxi service was amazing! Highly recommended.

• 8th Apr 2015

The Hilo Backpackers is kind of a good deal i you just need a place to stay not an actual family or nice place to stay in a long time. is only one bathroom for women and the doors don't !). They acutally have a lot of free stuff (snorkel equipment, boogie boards,..) but they are all dirty. All in all a place to stay for a night or two but definitely not more

Very friendly staff! Met a lot of nice people there :)

• 31st Mar 2015

I meet a lot of nice people there!!! And I really miss the German guy who was talkative with me in that 2 nights(1/4). I really really miss him. Could anyone help me to find him?:'( The facility was ok there, not that clean but still acceptable. The location was excellent! In downtown and near farmer market! I spent 2 days there and didn't feel boring. I love Hilo!!! Anyway, plz help me to find him!

• 30th Mar 2015
  • Macau

Nice and friendly personnel, the only issue is the showers. There is just one shower available for all people on second floor...this is clearly not enough..

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Thanks for staying with us. We did show you three separate toilets and showers in the hostel.take care

Great hostel, the staff is the best! Had a really good time here, it felt like home. Met some awesome people here, Jared (the manager) makes sure everyone has a good time.

Very clean, tidy, plenty of space, the staff are brilliant and help you out with everything you need to know, and are great at introducing you to the other backpackers to get some friends and adventures started! Only minor complaint is that the bathrooms could use a bit of an update.

Jared and Jared were awesome.

Positive: the staff is wonderful!! They are the reason i wanna come back, and the super cozy common area. I met a lot of nice people during my stay and I really felt like home here, espacially since i was dissapointed with Hilo in general. But the Hostel was fantastic! Negative: i miss lockers and laundry machines. You have to walk a bit to do laundry at a landrymaut, and it was quit expensive aswell...

• 9th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Room was nice! Bathrooms very clean but only one per gender upstairs. Location was great for Hilo and staff were very nice. Could do more with the space, there was a lot of clutter and not a great kitchen. Overall satisfied :)

Perfect and cozy place to staystay with excellent staff ... Thank you guys ... hope to come back again soon :o)!