Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

This was by far the best experience I've had at a hostel! Jared, the front desk guy was awesome! He was so helpful with places to go, setting up rides, he hung out with everyone and was just a cool guy! The people I met here were from everywhere and I made a great travel companion during my stay on the Big Island! The only complaint I have about the place is the pillows were flat, but other than that, great place!! Also, Jared has a sweet personal movie collection that he may share if your nice!

• 7th Oct 2014

Hostel is ok for a night or two. Supermarket is close, rooms are clean, beds are shaky, so if the one on top moves all is moving. No kitchen just a few kitchen items. Free breakfast (one coffee and 2 toasts, a fruit) is ok but nothing special. Free Wifi and luggage storage. Great staff! Its a good choice if you wanna go to Mauna Kea and Volcano area. No AC so a little bit hot at night....

Thanks for the good week in Hilo and your help for bookings

The hostel was ok but nothing special.

The front desk fellow, Jerid, was immensely helpful!!!! Truly kind-hearted - Thanks!

• 31st Aug 2014

Very cozy relaxing hostel. Huge room. Friendly staff, and everything was perfectly clean. I strongly recommend it.

Slightly strange setup in some ways, but totally functional. Would have liked to see stove/oven and lockers of some sort.

We had an awesome time here! This is one of the cleaner hostels we've been to. The common room is massive, and Jarod

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Singapore

it was a very nice place with friendly staff. And the semi-private room was very big . Good value for the money.

Our host Jordan was professional, personable, and knowledgeable. As we arrived, he was already expecting us and addressed us by name. After laying down the rules (i.e. No eating upstairs, clean up after yourself, no shoes worn inside) he gave us a tour of the house. Its a very big house with lots of room! The house was very clean! Its situated in a small business neighborhood and safer than it looks-really. Good restaurants and movie theatre within yards. Also, easy access to Hwy 19.

Pros: super tidy place, good sized private rooms and friendly staff. A quiet and cozy place to stay. And free breakfast! Cons: average room prices, shared bathroom for hostel, too quiet for the party goer. No Vegemite for breakfast. :(

• 3rd Aug 2014

We had the impression that they tried to create a nice place but have not fully reached the line yet.

One of the cleaner hostels with helpful staff. It's in a great area of Hilo and accessible to most parts of the town by walking. Breakfast included was simple but nice. Bathrooms were clean which is always a plus. It has the biggest common area of any hostel that I've ever seen!

• 26th Jul 2014

This is a fantastic hostel! I just wish I could have stayed there longer! Dorm rooms are well aired, and clean. The downstairs area is amazing! There is a big communal space with super comfy couches, a giant TV screen and a table. The place has a really cozy feel to it, and it's super affordable! I highly recommend this place!

• 23rd Jul 2014

Had a great time. Met some great people from other parts of the world, The staff was friendly, helpful, and professional. My only issue is that it was not clear that I could not pay with credit, and that cash only was accept for payment.

• 20th Jul 2014

Pros: Jared was really awesome, always around, helpful and friendly. Common rooms are huge, comfy furniture, big TV, good DVD selection, book exchange, few rooms, good Wi-Fi. Cons: No real kitchen, only 1 microwave and 1 hotplate. 3 single bathrooms. No lockers in dorms, no small lights at the bunks. Wall in women's dorm does not go to the ceiling so always quite bright at night. Overall I really enjoyed my stay here, as Jared and the atmosphere made up for the minor inconveniences!

• 13th Jul 2014

Great place. Huge building. One of the cleanest I've seen so far. Staff very helpful. Nothing to complain about!!!

the staff is awesome. the hostel is awesome as well it is a huge place with few rooms, it is a very relaxing place. If i ll go back to Hilo I ll stay there again and again

Each to there own.....

We stayed 5 nights at Hilo Backpackers and really enjoyed it. After one night they moved us to a bigger private room without asking for it. We liked that there are only 5 rooms (3 dorms, 2 privates). So the atmosphere was more private. We missed it immediately when we came to Honolulu. Jared really cares and helped at all kinds of questions.