Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Awesome common room, great staff, great facilities. Only possible improvement would be lockers.

Loved it. Clean and nice. One of the coolest host i ever met

• 9th Jan 2015

it was annoying having to pay with cash as there is an international exchange fee for taking money out of an atm so being able to pay with card is necessary.

• 28th Dec 2014

Really cool, chilled out and relaxed place. Loved my time I spent over here and am definitely coming back again. Jared is the man!

I can just repeat other reviews. Jared is the world-best guy (receptionist). He is sooo friendly and helpful to everyone at any time. Like other people said, wi-fi is sometimes slow. There is no really kitchen there (microwave and two things to cook on) are there) and shoes off whenever you enter the building. But I have never seen a cleaner hostel at hawaii. I really enjoyed my stay there. It is a hostel, don´t expect a four star hotel. But really recommendable!!!

• 20th Dec 2014

Very clean. We were in a private room with my boyfriend and the room was nice. The bed feels a little old but reasonnable. There was a movie playing every night. Location si good too, 45 minutes from the volcanoes park ans 1 hour from mauna kea. Dont forget to rent a car tho.

Convenientely located, helpful and kind staff, very clean, quiet and safe. Internationally and open-minded. Outdoor-gear available, breakfast included.

After A 27-hours day of travelling I was welcomed warm-heartely and introduced to the houserules, which help maintain the excellent standards for a hostel. It is not only a safe and quiet place to stay, but the hostel is also a good choice when you'd like to connect with other travelers. The staff is also very helpful, easy-going and always open for a chat. Thank you (Jarett)!

Overall, it's a good hostel for a short stay, but the city of Hilo is a bit borring. Staff is very nice and helpful.

Good place to stay. Just couple blocks to beach and one of the main streets just behind a block! Safe, clean, best stuff, good for meeting people, near everything, inexpensive and nice little activities!

I thought it was nice that you get a free cab ride when you spend more than one night there. Jarred was righteous enough. I left early because it was thanksgiving and Public transport sucks on the Big Island. I needed to be sure I'd make it to the other side. Hilo was nice and the breakfast was okay.

One of the staff would not accept me as a guest because there was only an upper bunk bed and I am walking with a cane. She felt I was a "liability"!!!

Conveniently located in downtown Hilo with free parking. The atmosphere is nothing special, but it was clean enough. There could have been more bathrooms (only 1 for each gender) and the bed was a bit springy with polyester sheets.

Thank you for staying with us. We examined and replaced the bed. Thank you for letting us know. We will try to do better moving forward.

Jerard is really helpful and nice! He helps connect people together. The hostel even provides surfboards and other outdoor gears for free!

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Singapore

I had a great time staying at Hilo Backpackers! The staff is friendly, helpful and outgoing! Besides being able to watch movies in the common area the hostel also has snorkeling equipement and a bike for use (anong other things). One thing that could be added is lockers for bags, but other than that I had a great stay!

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Sweden

This is a quiet and fairly clean hostel in rainy Hilo. Jared, the primary worker at the hostel, is a jolly bearded fellow who's always willing to help you with room concerns and planning day activities with other hostel residents. One final note: The "no shoes, food, or drinks in room" policy definitely helps keep the hostel cleaner, and I wish other dirtier hostels would do the same.

Yes! I am Santa Claus.

The hostel is in a great location in Hilo, close to the main strip of shops. The main guy who works there, Jared is a great host, giving what information he can about the area and hanging out with us in the evenings. The free airport pickup was great and the girl who picked me up was very friendly, giving some good information about the area. There was a locker service available, but no lockers in the rooms. If there was a service where events were put on as well, that'd be great. Great hostel

Location is great but this place is definitely not a "fun" hostel - it has curfews and just did not feel like hostel guests are encouraged to mingle. Location is in the city center and close to the airport though that for our last night in the Big Island, it is the best place to be.

Great staff. I didn't want to leave. It looked like new carpet and fresh paint, everywhere. Very clean.

Had a great time in Hilo. I extend my trip and returned a couple weeks later for one night. Jared helped us return the rental car and walked us back to the hostel. Both times anything that was needed, he was right there. I felt secure in knowing that he was in charge. He always offered to help with direction and tour information. The beds were really good. The location is great, stores and farmers market close by. Love this place and hope to return, one more time.