Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

First of, the guy who runs the place is a charm and he is the main reason we enjoyed our stay. He's very helpful and available and went out of his way to help us out. Plus the bathrooms are always clean and so is the whole place, which is surprising considering the number of people who stays here. The building is kinda located in a parking lot, wich is a bit gray and concrete...but we learned it was a church that got recycled in a hostel which is a great initiative to save a building.

Kitchen a bit under-equipped (no stove) Bathrooms very clean.

Good hostel, nice people! Only thing is that the kitchen is not really a kitchen. But luckily there are nice cheap diners around the hostel, so why worry. Definitely recommend this hostel, Hilo is also an awesome spot!

Overall no complaints about the Hostel other than we asked for a double bed and were given two singles. The best thing was the Mauna Kea tour we went on, AMAZING! Mahalo!

Maybe add more choices of food for breakfast.

• 1st May 2014

Fantastic. Food in the morning, fun in the evening, everything you could want.

Although I stayed only one night here, because I was going to Kona, I really enjoyed my stay here. Private room was large and clean, there are good common spaces, TV, books, wi-fi, workout equipment, and even mountain bikes for you to use! I would recommend this hostel to friends.

The common area is very big and just awesome. The guy on the desk is such a brilliant guy, he is so friendly and smiling all the time, felt very good in this hostel... Its definitly a place i would go back!!

We stayed in a double private room. The room had good space. They have only one bathroom per gender with a single shower, toilet and sink, but I never found long queues or anything like that. I'd stay there again if in Hilo.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Spain

Very good location, Gerard was excellent, so helpful.

Nice, clean rooms and it's great that you have free breakfast! There could be more showers and toilets though.. But anyhow a good place to stay:)!

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

They provide free transportation to the hostel if you stay for two or more consecutive nights. Location is pretty good because it's near the pacific tsunami museum and 5 minutes walk from the bus terminal.

• 1st Apr 2014
  • Singapore

As soon as I landed and spoke with the hostel staff, they sent a taxi, Roy to pick me up with in 10 mins at no cost. The internet was amazingly fast. No complaints at all. Gloria

• 28th Mar 2014

We felt like home! It was just awesome!

It's a good laid back vibe, well furnished (tastefully), Comfy beds and lounges, and directly across the road from the cinema with $2 movies. And there is an ATM and bank basically next door.

Friendly staff, awesome atmosphere! Didn't have much of a kitchen but lots of good restaurants around. A would recommend.

1 2 Next » last »