Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Good place to stay. Just couple blocks to beach and one of the main streets just behind a block! Safe, clean, best stuff, good for meeting people, near everything, inexpensive and nice little activities!

I thought it was nice that you get a free cab ride when you spend more than one night there. Jarred was righteous enough. I left early because it was thanksgiving and Public transport sucks on the Big Island. I needed to be sure I'd make it to the other side. Hilo was nice and the breakfast was okay.

One of the staff would not accept me as a guest because there was only an upper bunk bed and I am walking with a cane. She felt I was a "liability"!!!

Conveniently located in downtown Hilo with free parking. The atmosphere is nothing special, but it was clean enough. There could have been more bathrooms (only 1 for each gender) and the bed was a bit springy with polyester sheets.

Thank you for staying with us. We examined and replaced the bed. Thank you for letting us know. We will try to do better moving forward.

Jerard is really helpful and nice! He helps connect people together. The hostel even provides surfboards and other outdoor gears for free!

• 6th Nov 2014
  • Singapore

I had a great time staying at Hilo Backpackers! The staff is friendly, helpful and outgoing! Besides being able to watch movies in the common area the hostel also has snorkeling equipement and a bike for use (anong other things). One thing that could be added is lockers for bags, but other than that I had a great stay!

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Sweden

This is a quiet and fairly clean hostel in rainy Hilo. Jared, the primary worker at the hostel, is a jolly bearded fellow who's always willing to help you with room concerns and planning day activities with other hostel residents. One final note: The "no shoes, food, or drinks in room" policy definitely helps keep the hostel cleaner, and I wish other dirtier hostels would do the same.

Yes! I am Santa Claus.

The hostel is in a great location in Hilo, close to the main strip of shops. The main guy who works there, Jared is a great host, giving what information he can about the area and hanging out with us in the evenings. The free airport pickup was great and the girl who picked me up was very friendly, giving some good information about the area. There was a locker service available, but no lockers in the rooms. If there was a service where events were put on as well, that'd be great. Great hostel

Location is great but this place is definitely not a "fun" hostel - it has curfews and just did not feel like hostel guests are encouraged to mingle. Location is in the city center and close to the airport though that for our last night in the Big Island, it is the best place to be.

Great staff. I didn't want to leave. It looked like new carpet and fresh paint, everywhere. Very clean.

Had a great time in Hilo. I extend my trip and returned a couple weeks later for one night. Jared helped us return the rental car and walked us back to the hostel. Both times anything that was needed, he was right there. I felt secure in knowing that he was in charge. He always offered to help with direction and tour information. The beds were really good. The location is great, stores and farmers market close by. Love this place and hope to return, one more time.

This was by far the best experience I've had at a hostel! Jared, the front desk guy was awesome! He was so helpful with places to go, setting up rides, he hung out with everyone and was just a cool guy! The people I met here were from everywhere and I made a great travel companion during my stay on the Big Island! The only complaint I have about the place is the pillows were flat, but other than that, great place!! Also, Jared has a sweet personal movie collection that he may share if your nice!

• 7th Oct 2014

Hostel is ok for a night or two. Supermarket is close, rooms are clean, beds are shaky, so if the one on top moves all is moving. No kitchen just a few kitchen items. Free breakfast (one coffee and 2 toasts, a fruit) is ok but nothing special. Free Wifi and luggage storage. Great staff! Its a good choice if you wanna go to Mauna Kea and Volcano area. No AC so a little bit hot at night....

Thanks for the good week in Hilo and your help for bookings

1 2 Next » last »