Hilo Backpacker's Hostel Reviews

69 Waianuenue, Hilo, USA

Our host Jordan was professional, personable, and knowledgeable. As we arrived, he was already expecting us and addressed us by name. After laying down the rules (i.e. No eating upstairs, clean up after yourself, no shoes worn inside) he gave us a tour of the house. Its a very big house with lots of room! The house was very clean! Its situated in a small business neighborhood and safer than it looks-really. Good restaurants and movie theatre within yards. Also, easy access to Hwy 19.

Pros: super tidy place, good sized private rooms and friendly staff. A quiet and cozy place to stay. And free breakfast! Cons: average room prices, shared bathroom for hostel, too quiet for the party goer. No Vegemite for breakfast. :(

• 3rd Aug 2014

We had the impression that they tried to create a nice place but have not fully reached the line yet.

One of the cleaner hostels with helpful staff. It's in a great area of Hilo and accessible to most parts of the town by walking. Breakfast included was simple but nice. Bathrooms were clean which is always a plus. It has the biggest common area of any hostel that I've ever seen!

• 26th Jul 2014

This is a fantastic hostel! I just wish I could have stayed there longer! Dorm rooms are well aired, and clean. The downstairs area is amazing! There is a big communal space with super comfy couches, a giant TV screen and a table. The place has a really cozy feel to it, and it's super affordable! I highly recommend this place!

• 23rd Jul 2014

Had a great time. Met some great people from other parts of the world, The staff was friendly, helpful, and professional. My only issue is that it was not clear that I could not pay with credit, and that cash only was accept for payment.

• 20th Jul 2014

Pros: Jared was really awesome, always around, helpful and friendly. Common rooms are huge, comfy furniture, big TV, good DVD selection, book exchange, few rooms, good Wi-Fi. Cons: No real kitchen, only 1 microwave and 1 hotplate. 3 single bathrooms. No lockers in dorms, no small lights at the bunks. Wall in women's dorm does not go to the ceiling so always quite bright at night. Overall I really enjoyed my stay here, as Jared and the atmosphere made up for the minor inconveniences!

• 13th Jul 2014

Great place. Huge building. One of the cleanest I've seen so far. Staff very helpful. Nothing to complain about!!!

1 2 Next » last »