Hilo Bay Hostel Reviews

101 Waianuenue Avenue, Hilo Hawaii, Hilo, USA

The floors were never cleaned and it wasn't uncommon to see cockroaches around. They provided nothing in the kitchen by way of paper towels, oil or anything that is impractical for one person to purchase. Plus they closed the kitchen at 9:45 which is just too early sometimes. But the location and staff were great, quiet hours were respected.

The staff were great. I stayed in the men's dorm. A couple of drawbacks were 1: No freezer, and the one fridge was way too full, 2: Noise from the street below was loud, especially with the trash trucks each the morning, and worst of all, do NOT get an upper bunk. They are much smaller than the lower bunks, and climbing down from them at night, in the dark, if you need use the bathroom is scary, as they only have the small diameter, built-in pipe ladder.

• 9th Oct 2014

Generally the hostel was clean and inviting. There was blood on the shower curtain, and some dodgy looking stains on my bed sheets, which was why I put down cleanliness as average. The kitchen was kept very clean, as well as the dishes. I wasn't shown around the premises on arrival so I had to kind of work out the layout of the place. It was central to Hilo so nothing was too far away.

• 5th Oct 2014

I stayed at this hostel twice. The staff were knowledgeable about the local area and very helpful. Thanks!

Home feeling, great people

• 4th Sep 2014

It's one if the most cleanest hostels I've ever been to! Not really a party hostel (cause there are many older people), but really nice.

take your self back in time to the large one bldg open unit, shared kit i like the showers and bath area clean,more air movement would be good in afternoon to keep from to warm..nice people to me .lots of visitors from around the globe.internet is good.theres antiques,with the old world feel.down town is out side and all needs are close by.freedom is nice come and go able to lock room and with lockers to lock up computers and valuebles.parking is no problem 4pm to 8am its free on street.

• 21st Aug 2014

Never went, we had a hurricane for the dates I was to be in Hilo.

• 8th Aug 2014

The hostel was good in a nice location, however Larry one of staff was. So rude to myself and other guest that would not recommend anyone staying there.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

This individual and others in their party were being loud during quiet hours and had to be reminded of this several times. They had no respect for other guests staying in the hostel and where smart mouthed in response when reminded of the rules of the hostel that they were informed of upon their arrival but quickly forgot. I myself being the night security and the staff hard to make all our guest's stay here at Hilo Bay Hostel an enjoyable experience. Our reviews clearly show our dedication. ;-)

The staff was extremely friendly. The hostel has a mellow and cool vibe to it. The kitchen and other facilities are well maintained. Overall a pleasant experience. Make sure to bring $10 for a key deposit!

The Hilo Bay Hostel is a GREAT place to stay. It is well run, has excellent beds, is in historic downtown Hilo in an historic hotel which has been upgraded just enough to make a comfortable hostel. Everyone was friendly and I got lots of good information on the island; lots of friendly food sharing,.walk to the farmers' market and many coffee houses, restaurants of all kinds and 2grocery stores. I will come back any time I go to the Big Island

• 14th May 2014