Hilo Bay Hostel

Fabulous 391 Total Reviews
8.4
Fabulous 391 Total Reviews

2nd Aug 2017

This place was good but it needs lockers in the room and air conditioning. It was also painful trying to sleep at night with all the traffic noise. But the staff is good, location is good, and I met several cool people. If you need a place in Hilo this is a good one. Otherwise just stay at My Hawaii Hostel over in Kona. It's the best one you'll find on the island.

25th Jul 2017

I loved this place. The staff, location, facilities. It's everything you need. You can walk to great restaurants, farmers market, bus station etc. The owners were so pleasant, friendly, informative and extremely helpful. I ended up extending my stay twice! It makes a difference when you stay at a hostel where the hosts actually care!! When I come back to this island, I will for sure be at Hilo Bay Hostel again!!

• Australia, Female, 18-24
15th Jul 2017
4.9

Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to alter my booking here before I arrived. I called them directly and they didn't answer. I called back the next day, and the receptionist told me I must be lying because she always has a phone on her. She then told me I would be charged for two days because I gave them late notice (when I had called earlier) and seemed to think she was doing me a favor. Stay at My Hawaii Hostel on the other side of the island, location not worth dealing with rude staff.

• England, Female, 25-30
14th Jul 2017

Perfect little gem hidden in the central hilo area. Close to the airport, good clean facilities and super friendly staff. Would definitely recommend

• Canada, Male, 41+
27th Jun 2017

Loved it. Scott is a true gentleman. Thanks. I'll be back.

• USA, Female, 25-30
3rd Jun 2017
7.7

I'm new to the hostel world, but I'm guessing this might be pretty standard. Pay to rent a shower towel. Showers were not very clean plus missing shower heads and one shower ran cold. Kitchen closes overnight so no access to my food (had to leave behind when checked out early). Make your own bed. Very laid back atmosphere but kinda felt like just anyone could walk in off the streets. Good location for Hilo. 'Free parking' aka max 2-hour lot across the street during week.

• Germany, Male, 18-24
11th May 2017

We really enjoyed the nice atmosphere, due to the big common room in the middle of the hostel!!

• Canada, Female, 18-24
8th May 2017

The location was convenient for me especially since there was a parking lot across the street... having a car on the big island is essential. The staff was really helpful!

• Canada, Female, 31-40