Hlemmur Square Reviews

Laugavegur 105, Reykjavik, Iceland

Very nice place with a great location. Has a bar and a restaurant downstairs with happy hour

• 28th Jul 2015

Great little hostel with comfy bunks and great pillows. Very clean, well located, and one of the best staff's I've stayed with in a hostel in a while. I stayed with them on my first few days of the trip, too, and returned for a reason.

• 28th Jul 2015

Location is about a 10-minute walk from the true city center, but it's on one of the main streets, so very easy to navigate. Everything is clean and the lobby/bar area is quite sleek and nice-looking. Bathrooms and showers are in a common room (separated by gender) with stalls and curtains for privacy. Big lockers underneath the bed, one per person.

More social events for travelers would be nice.

• 21st Jul 2015

My only complaint was that I was not informed to pre-book tickets to the Blue Lagoon. I was contacted right away by the staff and asked if I wanted to book tours. I told them I only had time to see the Lagoon, and they told me they could assist me with transfer there. Given that they know the Lagoon doesn't take walkins during the summer and tickets need to be prebooked, I think the staff should have told me this before I arrived. Other than that, friendly staff, easy airport transfer.

• 20th Jul 2015

The bar serves good food. The breakfast is great - best one I had after 3 weeks and 6 hostels.I stayed in a 12 bed female room and had no complaints. The atmosphere of the place is a bit weird though because there were families, old couples, small children - none of whom I usually find at hostels - and primarily Americans. As an American, I travel to Europe to avoid other Americans. Although Reykjavik in general is full of Americans. A little bit removed from the center - prepare to walk a lot.

Probably the best hostel I know of. Feels more like a chic hotel, with budget bedrooms.

• 17th Jul 2015

There are notice to remind guests'clean & tidy up duties on wall but some guests haven't done their duties well and made a mess of the kitchen. There are notice of kitchen closed from 23:00 to 7am but I could walk in before 7am, no lock. Therefore there should have staff following up more about the stuff of the kitchen. I wondered why the upper beds are designed so closed to the celling and far away from the lower beds in the Female Dorm Room. I could not sit well on the bed

Staff were amazing, friendly and helpful The beds were comfortable and the rooms spacious and clean great value for money and great location

I appreciate good hostel security however my friend and i were hassled by a security guard after returning to the hostel on a night out. Even after showing our room key cards, we were told on two seperate occasions that room 231 didnt exist. Maybe they want to brief security it's the room between 230 and 232?!?

the staff were unbelievably helpful to me. i lost my passport, so had a bit of a crisis on my hands, and they went out of their way to help me, looking up the consulate numbers and helping me think of the best way to deal with my situation. they seriously went above and beyond. they let me use their phone countless times, and were just super friendly and nice. i can't rave about them enough!! they were also just friendly and funny and had great recommendations for things. highly recommend!!

• 7th Jul 2015

Great Hostel! Big rooms, clean Kitchen and very helpful staff! (:

• 5th Jul 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at Hlemmur Square. There was plenty of locker space for big packs and it is located on a main street with lots of shops/bars/etc. Breakfast, while expensive (around $14 if I remember correctly), had a lot of different foods to try and you could eat as much as you wanted. This was a good place to fill up on breakfast and then wait until dinner. Staff was friendly and helpful. Dorms are what you expect. I would definitely stay here again.

Hostel is right next to the bus station and located along the main street of Reykjavik. Grocery store located directly across the street so that is nice. Wifi works great, beds are fine with outlets on each bed (always a great feature) Biggest problem was the showers; I don't think they were cleaned once in the five nights I stayed there, and they only had two men's showers for an entire floor of people (one was broken). Also has a bar if you feel like paying 8euro for a beer.

This hostel is overall very nice and has a great location, close to anything in walking distance you would want to see in Reykjavik. However the bathroom disturbed me a little as there is only a curtain that is separating from the other cabin (it has 2), so there's a lack of privacy which could and should be improved in my opinion. Would stay again if I visit Reykjavik the next time.

A fantastic hostel! Great location, it's only a 15 minute walk down a popular street and you're downtown. The staff were friendly helpful, and the hostel bar was always busy and fun. Breakfast was delicious with heaps of choices. The only downside was the top bunks in the female dorm was 2 metres off the ground and without enough space between the ceiling to even sit up. It made getting up and down very dangerous. The bathrooms also could have been cleaner.

Great hostel! Clean rooms, good beds and heaps of charging points, good kitchen, nice common space and great bar (heaps of Icelandic craft beers). Very friendly staff and great location on the edge of the city centre right next to a bus interchange. Hard to fault.

This place was gross. My room smelt like mildew and B.O and it looked like it hadn't bee cleaned in a while. There was old food and pop bottles all over. I couldn't stand to be in there. When I went to place my bag in the storage box, there was an old used condom in it. The bathrooms look like there was no thought put into them. Showers were terribly designed and left a giant pool of water that went into the hall. The lobby was nice but couldn't make up for the poor rooms. I will not be back.

Lovely hostel, lost to everything in the city!

• 28th Jun 2015

Great location, great atmosphere. Bathrooms were not that clean and the walls are very thin so I hardly got any sleep. Especially because I was in a 16 bed mixed dorm and people where coming in and out all night. Overall a good experience and I would recommend it.

• 28th Jun 2015