Hlemmur Square Reviews

Laugavegur 105, Reykjavik, Iceland

The Mens shower rooms & Toilet needs some TLC On the second visit i asked for a padlock for the drawer under the bed so that I could lick away my valuables as I was there for 3 days. A lot of camera equipment . I was told they only had 3 padlocks and they were all in use. The girls suggested at locate the local hardware store to purchase a padlock !!!!!!!! I use the storeroom for my gear once it was opened you were not monitored so i could have stolen other cases - take a padlock

• 1st Feb 2016

a hostel

Absolutely incredible hostel. It was the first one I'd ever stayed in, and it sure have me high expectations for my next few stops!! So spacious, clean and welcoming. There is a reading lounge that I would decorate my living room after Only flaw: the showers were a bit awful. But well worth the 20 minutes of unpleasantness

Just a 10 minute walk down the street to all the bars, grocery store across the road, & bus station right beside. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. They even let us check in 45 min early so we could take a nap- very considerate! The cleanliness is what you would expect at any busy hostel near bars - cleaner Thursday than Saturday, women's toilets needed cleaning constantly, but showers were fine. Breakfast is convenient but expensive- pick up groceries instead.

• 21st Jan 2016

Great location everything is near you by walking distance. I stayed in a female dorm with 12 beds. Room was big and there was plenty of space for your luggage and a big locker under the bed. There was a little light in every bed so you don't have to turn on the bigger lights if you/someone is coming in while other are sleeping. Kitchen is great there are all the basic equipment for making your own dinner and a grocery store is near. I have nothing bad to say.

My only issue is how dirty it was. There were hard candies stuck to the bed frame, hair all over the floor, the bathrooms were gross and always out of paper, and the kitchen smelled. BUT miraculously half way through my stay I noticed we had a different cleaning guy and almost all issues were fix. Front desk staff are nice and the bar is good. I would stay there again, but fixing the cleaning issues would make this a 10 out of 10 for me.

The staff were very helpful and kind and the bar downstairs was really convenient if not slightly overpriced. Overall stay was good but the shower room (third floor at least) was not great. Just a thin shower curtain separating the 2 cubicles and the same sort of curtain at the front. Just didn't feel too comfortable taking a shower during busy times.

Reviews on here give this place a bad rep! No complaints here! Fantastic location and staff all so lovely and super helpful in booking trips and airport transfers etc. Beds great and you don't have to pay extra for bedding which is good. Kitchen could do with a few more utensils but most hostel kitchens do! Lots of showers always clean and hot. Really nice lounge area by reception. Toilets could use a bit more attention is only thing I'd say. Would recommend!

The showers and bathrooms were very gross. Toilets didn't flush and seats hung off the toilet. The shower drains were clogged left you standing in 2 inches of water. The showers were also very exposing.

The staff were fantastic! Could answer any question and went above and beyond when I left a souvenir there to post it to me back home! Dorms and bathrooms were clean and got to meet some great people. Only 15 minute walk to the town centre.

The cleanliness of the hostel was extremely lacking, especially the toilets which were always in a foul state and smelled awful with no toilet paper. There were few communal showers and these had no privacy. My first dorm (16 bed) was disgusting, empty alcohol bottles and general mess was never tidied by cleaners and the dorm smelt awful. However, after 2 nights of this I complained and the staff of the desk on Sat am were prompt and professional at changing my dorm - this was far better, thanku

Place was great at the location was perfect for exploring Reykjavik! Downside was the kitchen no cameras in there and people stole food regularly and the laundry service was too expensive

• 5th Jan 2016

The hostel is well located in the city center ,the bar downstairs looked cool but I didn't spend much time there . The staff is knowledgeable and always ready to help . The kitchen was a bit messy but it's not the hostels fault if the other guests don't wash the dishes and pots they used and leave them in the sink !overall,I can recommend this place

Definitely a good hostel, hood beds and showers, well heated and a good lounge, kitchen needs some more equipment such as a toaster, and or a grilling machine but ye definitely would go back

• 4th Jan 2016

I would really recommend staying here! Staff was awesome and the rooms were great.

• 31st Dec 2015

shower was pretty bad and basin was clogged nearly the whole time I was there. Also the toilets were very dirty. Other then that the staff were great and very helpful, and the bed was quite comfortable

• 21st Dec 2015

Reception/bar area is really nice, hostel room was spacious and clean. Bathrooms and showers are outdated, and rarely cleaned which was my only issue with the place. Staff were friendly and helpful, great location - very central.

Loved our stay. Everyone is very helpful and the hostel and hotel areas are lovely.

• 18th Dec 2015

I really liked this hostel. It is right on the Main Street, so only 15 min to the church and loads of restaurants and shops. It has a very relaxed vibe. There's no true lounge for just the hostel guests, so it may be a little more difficult to meet others your age, but there's a couch in the dorm. Breakfast was too expensive for me, but it looked really good.

Probably one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at! I was able to check in hours before the official check-in time (as Icelandair from the East Coast USA actually lands in KEF super early in the morning). The man at the front desk was very nice, and helped me get my bearings easily. The other two ladies I saw at the front desk were also super nice and helpful enough to recommend excursions and best places to eat. It was truly a pleasure staying at Hlemmur Square; and next time, same place!

• 11th Dec 2015