Hlemmur Square Reviews

Laugavegur 105, Reykjavik, Iceland

Great hostel, the staff were really helpful and nice. The rooms were good with plugs by each bed and everything was clean. If I was going back to Iceland I would stay here!

The hostel was good but there were a lot of kids (7-13 years old) who came for some tournaments during my stay. The hostel was noisy during the evenings and the mornings. The quiet breakfast was something hard to get because of those kids.

Immaculate hostel and with a very nice bar on the ground floor. Beds all had own lights and padlockable drawers. very warm and despite being in a 12 bed dorm it was very quiet.

I really enjoyed my stay at Hlemmur Square. The beds were super comfortable, and even though I was in a 14 bed dorm, the room did not feel crowded. My only criticism of my stay here is that it's not the best atmosphere for solo travelers, as there isn't really anywhere to just hang out and chill other then the kitchens or lobby, so I found it hard to meet people.

Made some friends the first day. Having a kitchen is awesome and really convenient. I stayed for only two nights but I think you would hardly get bored here. There's a lounge room with pool table and foosball and couches and downstairs is a nice bar to hang out (if you don't feel like going out downtown). Plus they organize the booking of an airport shuttle bus for you, just send them an email after you booked your stay.

• 7th Oct 2014

Hlemmur Square was a beautiful hostel that exceeded our expectations. I loved the under bed storage and the atmosphere. Everyone was so nice and chill. Only thing I would like to see is more dishes for use in the kitchen. But that's it.

• 7th Oct 2014

Wonderful - thank you

I only stayed here because I would have to leave very early to the airport and wanted the cheapest bed available. However I was positively surprised by the atmosphere in the hostel. Even though it's very very big, the way it's organised into floors with on each floor a kitchen and with couches and tables in the rooms, it feels quite homy. Great way to meet people if you're traveling by yourself.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Have stayed here before, and was excellent this time too!

Excellent hostel. I greatly enjoyed my stay there. It was a little hard to get to, I had to walk from the BSI bus depot, but once I had a map it was no problem. Would definitely stay again!

Hlemmur square was exactly what I needed from a hostel - clean comfy bed, big spacious room (despite being 10 beds) and prime location to get around. Staff were very helpful and easy access to kitchen + lots of facilities was great. Atmosphere was slightly lacking but there is a bar available with happy hour etc. Great stay, definitely coming back in future!

Everything in the hostel is new. There is a nice bar on the first floor that has free coffee available in the mornings. The front desk was very helpful in choosing and booking tours which had pick up at the hostel. Each floor has a lounge and communal KITCHEN, which is great because Iceland can be expensive. It's located near downtown with a supermarket directly across the street and a discount supermarket within a 5 min walk.

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm, but there was only 1 other person staying in the room with me, even with 12 people, it would have still been spacious. Room had a desk, couch and coffee table in it, as well as a sink. The showers were down on my side of the floor, so we had to go to the other side. Means there were only two shower stalls for men on the entire floor. The walls were paper thin and the kitchen was next door, so it was super loud. We had to ask folks to keep it down.

Enjoyed staying here! Great location and all staff members were extremely helpful with everything. We shared a ten bed room with only one other person which was nice. The showers could use some work. But overall we had a great stay here and would return.

The showers on my floor didn't work but everything else was wonderful. I just had to go down a floor so it wasn't a problem. Great part of town, on a Main Street, close to the water, could walk to everything, right by the bus stop! Great kitchen too- nice to be able to cook

It was disappointing that the showers were not working on the floor I stayed. The garbage in the kitchen wasn't emptied often enough to prevent overflow, dust bunnies were found on my luggage when I went to leave, and someone in the room I was in kept turning the heat up and closing the windows tight creating a sauna effect. It is a nice hostel and I think perhaps it is also a hotel? A great lounge area down by the bar but it is expensive (everywhere in Iceland is expensive).

The establishment itself was superlative especially the overnight staff member who opened the bar for us with the black ring ear piercing. As far as the atmosphere, maybe it was an off period or the other guest were just not used to dealing with Americans of color but it was really difficult to connect with them despite my best efforts. No one was unpleasant but tremendously evasive. Again, nothing to do with the staff or the establishment. I was just surprised to connect more with locals.

• 17th Sep 2014

The location was excellent, and most staff were very helpful in booking day tours. The hostel was good value by Icelandic standards, and close to supermarkets to cook and keep the cost down. The kitchen was quite small and very basic - one morning there were no bowls (clean or dirty) anywhere for cereal so I had to eat out of a mug! Rooms were clean and had chargers/lamps/lockers for each bed, plenty of bathroom facilities. Overall I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again!

The bathrooms were horrendous. A concrete box separated by shower curtains, and a plastic tub on the floor for my things since there are no a) shelves, or b) hooks.

• 15th Sep 2014
  • India

I think the staff at Hlemmur square was extremely helpful and friendly.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7