Hobart Huon Quays
Tasmania has never had its own navy. From the establishment of the colony at Van Dieman's Land, The Royal Navy was responsible for the control of marine activities in the region. In 1870, the Imperial troops were withdrawn and the colonies became responsible for their own defence although the conduct of war was still the concern of the British Government in the form of the Royal Navy which maintained an Australian Squadron in colonial waters. From 1855, the land that HMAS Huon now occupies was used as a slip before it was taken over the Marine Board in April 1914.