Home Backpackers Reviews

238 Elizabeth St, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Pros: cheap, good location - 5 mins to Central Station & 15 to Pitt St Mall. Was able to change my booking two days before. Cons: Extremely stuffy in the rooms. Fans got unplugged so that people could use the powerpoints. Locker handles broken. Door to the room didn't actually lock unless you manually turned the switch before leaving - don't think anyone did this. Not many toilets/showers. Generally unclean. No sign of the included breakfast. Mattress springs v. uncomfortable. Wifi didn't work!

Worst hostel I've ever been to in my entire life.

• 17th Feb 2014

Room was like an oven and very small for having 8 beds. Not the cleanest of places. Good Location though

Spent 4 nights there because was the cheapest. Rooms are ok, kitchen is very very dirty, no forks, spoon or mug and if you are lucky to find one you have to clean it because no one clean their mess. No proper seating area.

Upon the arrival (26th December) the reception was not open but i knew that before I arrived. I was told to call to the out-of-hours manager to come and check me in but nobody answered - neither did the real manager! There I stood outside in the sun when two boys (backpackers) came out and helped me; they called someone. i was very upset about this and manager never called/texted back! Room (6 female dorm) was dirty and my bed hard as rock. Receiptionist on check-out was rude! Never again!

• 26th Dec 2013
  • Finland

Girls at reception, do not know how to do their jobs. And the place is full of fleas.

This has to be one my most unpleasant stays in a hostel. It's very dirty and ignorant staff didn't seem to care about it at all. They should also choose more carefully what kind of persons they actually allow to stay in the hostel - in my case it was full on obnoxious loud-mouthed english lads, who only seemed to care about drinking. Needless to say they couldn't hold their liquer. The hostel was supposed to have free wifi - it didn't work. But if you are looking for a cheap place then...

If you want to be mauled to death by bed bugs then I'd 100% recommend this place. If you then want the receptionist to ask to see your bites as proof then this is the place for you. If you want to live in a place where there is one sink and 1 hob between around 60 people then book yourself in! Last but not least if you think it's acceptable to have 1 shower per floor that's never available then fill your boots, saying this ... Could be worse, could be nomads westendbackpackers ..........

• 1st Dec 2013

A lot of long termers, and quite a small hostel, with facilities that could do with an update. Only stayed for one night, in a good location across from central station.

Stayed here for four nights. The two first nights I had to sleep without a pillow because they didn't have any more pillows. The door to my room was very difficut to open. I had to go down to reception twice to ask how to open the door to my room. And even when I "learned" how to open the door it sometimes took five minutes beore you succeeded with opening it. And my safety locker didn't have a door, si it wasn't that safe. Worst hostel I've stayed at!

• 18th Nov 2013
  • Sweden

mattress was horriffic, covered in stains, broken springs and i woke up with bites all up my arm. the lockers were broken so there was no where to put my valueables. i didnt expect luxury for the price but this was not pleasant.

When I asked if my stay could be extended one night, they gave me a bed in another room, which was OK for me. But they failed to tell me that the new room was a mixed six bed dorm, and that it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The air in there was so stuffed I couldn't breathe. When I asked to cancel my reservation for the night they did it promptly, which was good.

• 11th Nov 2013

The rooms and bathrooms could do with clean. The staff were rude and disgruntled everytime I spoke to them.

Rooms had ensuited which was great! The place was just overall dirty and really needed a deep clean. The room we stayed in had lots of stuff lying around that didnt appear to belong to anyone. There are better places to stay in the city, i would look elsewhere before choosing this one.

Extremely dirty, everything was broken and not cleaned properly. staff were ok but annoyed we arrived after hours.