Home Backpackers Reviews

238 Elizabeth St, Sydney, Australia

The hostel could provide more bathrooms to customers.

• 22nd Jan 2016

Great small hostel, located in the heart of the city. Everything is close such as Central Station, down town and Darling Harbour. The staff is very welcoming, friendly and always willing to help and they gave good tips what to do an\d see in Sydney. The free WiFi works good and the hostel is clean and it got all the facilities needed. The room was spacious enough and daily cleaned. For the small price it is a great value.

• 12th Jan 2016

I was a little worried when I read some of the previous reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. I needed a room for a night before I caught a flight and the location was ideal. The cleanliness of the hostel was pretty standard. The kitchen was a little messy when I went into cook some dinner, but one of the the staff came and cleaned while I was eating. The free wifi was given in vouchers and wasn't available in my room, but worked in the tv room.

• 7th Jan 2016

This hostel was one of the worst ones I've stayed at. The rooms were very dirty and the bathrooms full of mould. The matress on the beds were incredible uncomfortable and it was like lying right on the springs. The bed was also extremely unstable and gave the feel of breaking down at the sights movement. I would not go back there and not recommend it to anyone I know. The only pus was the location as it is very central.

Thank you for your feedback. With regards to your feedback about the shower, unfortunately the shower you are refereeing to was having maintenance completed on it and the materials that were used were not suitable for the moisture in the air. This resulted in some issues with regards to discoloration. We have since remedied the issue. I am sorry that the mattress was uncomfortable, was this mentioned to reception? If so then there are no notes on your booking, or in the maintenance log.

Obviously, we changed the hostel after two nights, because the room was so extremely dirty. The air was so sticky and stinking, despite the Windows were complete open. The Floor was so dirty that i reckon that the staff will never clean the rooms! I would never ever recommend to stay i this hostel! And that we didn't get a refound for the cancelled night was not a surprise and typical for this hostel! Furthermore the staff is very unpolite!

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. All rooms are cleaned daily by an outsourced cleaning company. Within dorm rooms the cleanliness is often dependant on the guests within the room, which can be frustrating if guests don't assist us by keeping their belongings in the lockers provided. Did you request a room move? As this would probably have solved the issue? We hope you enjoy your travels.

A lot of long term stays, so it can be a bit messy in the rooms, shotty wifi- but 2 kitchens, 2 TV rooms, always movies or good shows on, easy to meet people. It will definitely do the trick.

Thanks for your feedback. We have a mix of longer term guests and short term stays. As you mentioned we are a small hostel so people tend to find it easy to make friends and enjoy the social aspect of traveling. As with all wifi there can be issues with our system. Unlike many other more expensive hostels we offer the wifi for free, which can cause issues with usage. We are installing a new more powerful router this week so hopefully this will inprove the wifi signal.

Great nice and cheap! Would recommend!

• 23rd Nov 2015

I loved it, super homey vibes and the facilities you need. Location was awesome, bus stop out the front that took you anywhere and overall a nice, chilled place to backpack

• 21st Nov 2015

Just awful from start to finish. One table with four chairs in the tiny kitchen for around 50 people as well as just two showers and toilets. A lot of people stay there and work there so there's no atmosphere. The place is grubby and worn down. I've been travelling since July and this is hands down the worse place I've ever stayed in! We literally dreaded coming back to the dingy grubby rooms

For a first time traveller to Sydney the staff was very helpful with the orientation. Never refused to give me information or help. The other guests were pleasant and cheerful.

• 23rd Oct 2015
  • Bulgaria

We appriciate you taking the time to write a review with regards to the staff and the guests that we have staying with us. We pride ourselves on having staff that are both knowledgable and helpful with regards to queries that guests/fellow travellers may have. A friendly face can definately make you feel more confortable in a a new city! We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels! The Home Team

there are very friendly staff working all the time, they helped me very good even when I didn't stay anymore in home backpackers. It's pretty clean in compare to the average hostels in Sydney.

• 21st Oct 2015

Staff is very friendly, I was checked in couple of hours early which was more than appreciated after long flights! A big thank you for that :) -The hostel is VERY cold during the spring as the windows are very drafty. In the summer this wouldn't be a problem. Located only a few hundred meters from the Central station so getting around Sydney is easy as. All in all, good value for the money spent.

The staff were so friendly and went out of their way for us when we had to check in at 1.30am. Couldn't be more grateful. (thanks Sophie and Lucy!!)

• 8th Aug 2015