Home Travellers Motel- St Kilda Reviews

32 Carlisle Street, St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia

Hostel was optimum friendliness. 100% efficiency. My holiday was pleasant here. Regards, Fritz Maximilian Boehm

• 13th Dec 2014

It was a very welcome hostel, the moment i walked in i was welcomed by reception and they where very friendly and helpful and it just made me feel like i was part of the family straight away. I also liked the alternative uniform the receptionists where wearing; instead of wearing uniform clothes, they all had a bun and a beard! considering the fact that ive been in so many hostels around Asia and Australia, i could safely say this is the best hostel so far!

• 9th Dec 2014

Ad first I didn't liked the place. The room was smelly and it is not very clean. It's a workershostel, but the people are very kind. I had to go to the hospital and the guy from the reception took care of me getting there. I had a ride from the people how were staying there. It's in the centre of st. Kilda and close near to the beach, supermarket and bars.

On the positive side: free bus from airport, free off street parking,and a good location. However, the negatives outweigh the positives. Most people staying long term and seem to take over everything: rooms, kitchen and leasure areas. In rooms stuff thrown everywhere, especially in the bathrooms. Noisy to the extreme until they throw everyone out at 11 pm. Definitely a PARTY hostel. Would not stay there again.

• 18th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Hi! It disappoints me that you did not enjoy your stay. We pride ourselves on having a strong report with our guests and being approachable which i believe is why many guests like staying with us long term. Alas, our short stay guests are as much a priority to us as any other and it is a shame to me you did not voice your concerns as we would happily change your room or strive to exceed your unmet expectations. I hope you find what you are looking for :) Alex

An enjoyable visit, helpful staff , glad of the noise curfew at night, should have mentioned to staff that the shower water does not run out fast enough and the sink tap could do with attention to prevent the leaking and thus wet floor, didn't enjoy paying the international booking fee...

Hello! Thanks for your feedback, I'm not too sure what that international booking fee is, Hostelworld have their booking cost but that comes off the cost of total stay. Thanks for letting us know about the shower, it's all too often folks neglect to mention something like that and it could go un-noticed :) cheers, Alex

If staying in St. Kilda, has a great location close to main roads and the beach. The hostel itself felt more like a squatters house for kids looking to find work than a travelers hostel. No lockers. Everyone's stuff was everywhere (since 7 of my 8 roommates were basically living there at the time). Staff was helpful though and it's a pretty quick tram ride into the city center.

Hi! I agree, we are lucky to have this little spot! St Kilda rocks! Thanks for your input, sorry to hear you did not entirely enjoy your visit. We really like our long termers here, it's always nice to have a few familiar faces in an ever changing work place! I Hope you find what you're looking for out there. Safe travels Home crew :)

Good hostel, lad called alex was good but the rest of the staff didn't seem bothered to help

Thanks Joe, I'm honored! But the the other guys are awesome too, I promise...except Dave, he eats babies.

We loved staying here and were so sad to have to leave. Staff are super lovely and friendly and the layout of the hostel makes it extra easy to socialise and get to know everyone. See you again!

• 6th Nov 2014

Stay here in st kilda for a community feel with real people. Felt so welcomed that you don't want to leave. Love from Ashley

great! Very friendly staff, always willing to help you and a good atmosphere. also a great location. St. kilda is probably one of the best places to stay, near the beach and only 5 minutes walking for watching the pinguins. Had a good time here.

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you had a good time and got to see the penguins, it's a great little secret location there (plus they don't always come out)!

Spent a total of one night here and I have to say that the whole stay was awesome. Staff were friendly and happy to help out in any way possible, and the rooms were fine. Got what we paid for and more :)

• 18th Oct 2014

Ey, thanks for the kind words, mate! Do stop by again some time :)

we had the private room and was very happy it was clean and large really great and the staff were very helpful

• 16th Oct 2014

This place was gross. "Private" toilet was a complete mess. Not enough ventilation in the room. Moldy ceilings. Disgusting linen. Dirty carpeted floors that smell. Inattentive staff. This place is the definition of "amateur hour." 0/10 - would not recommend.

Booked a private room, well equiped (freezer, Toaster, microwave, etc). But you could hear everything through the window and door, so it was a bit loud, but at 11pm everyone has to be quiet. The kitchen is very small and chaotic. You get to the city by tram very easy, only 15 minutes and a short walk to the beach.

• 9th Oct 2014

Booking cancelled at the last minute (i.e. once we had arrived at the hostel) and the hostel arranged to put us in "Elwood Sands Motel" nearby which was described on the sheet of paper that had been left on the desk as a "sh**ty alternative".Once we found out how bad the alternative they had offered us was we insisted they move us somewhere else. They did this but it was not the same spec room even though we had asked if it was. Suspect they had taken another booking for more than our one night.

Excellent staff. No lockers in the rooms, though. Good location and clean.

Great backpacker in st Kilda, especially if you are looking for a quiet place to stay, no much party going on after 11pm ! Missing a safe box in the room otherwise everything is clean and fine for short or long stay !

• 1st Oct 2014

As an "over 50" couple we were looked after by being roomed away from the communal area and as we were advised the staff made sure the other "younguns" were quietened down by 11 pm. Only downfall was having to park on the street for 2 of the 3 nights we stayed as the parking is limited

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I absolutely loved the open, friendly atmosphere. Everyone was very nice and laid-back. The staff was awesome and didn't mind having a bit of conversation. The kitchen and common rooms were very clean and I loved that there were bowls, and utensils you could use in the kitchen itself without having to give a deposit. The washrooms were alright but I would've liked to see another one in my room as it was a 12person dorm, or more public washrooms with showers. All in all, a wonderful hostel.

All the staff are really nice and help you out if you have any problems. There's a nice atmosphere and it's great they put on a free BBQ every Sunday. Would def stay again!

Thanks for the kind words! Look forward to your return :)