Home at The Mansion Reviews

66-90 Victoria Parade, Melbourne, Australia

A clean and comfortable hostel. Good value dorms. Surprisingly warm in the winter cold! Would stay here again

Would definitely recommend, great location close to everything, good facilities!

• 19th Jul 2014

Very clean shower facilities. Great staff, great location. Shame the bar closes at 11pm though.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Singapore

The wifi is very expensive and should be free. But very nice place :)

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

overall I satisfy with the facilities provided.

I really liked my stay here. It's a 5-minute walk away from Central. I appreciated the facade of the hostel and the wooden staircase. Reception throughout the day and night (two different shifts) were really chatty and friendly. I was up in the one of the sofas til 3am and the cleaning/reception staff on that shift even had the energy to chat me up and be friendly. The toilet and bathrooms on the 3rd floor are the best in this hostel. And at the corner of the road you could ride the 96 tram.

Good location, friendly staff, clean place and good facilities. I recommend this place :-)

Great stay, friendly people, very good location and great free things of different nights like nachos and pancakes!

This is a very bad hostel. It is in an old building. They seem do not want to spend a dollar for maintance. Every step would make creak. I lived in a 100 year old building before. No this happen. The worst thing is they turn off the water heater after 11pm. It is winter. They are crazy. The only good thing is they have good staff.

Thanks for your comments. We take great pride in our hostel and are constantly making updates and spending money to make it better for our guests, so it's a real shame that squeaky floorboards spoiled your experience. We actually had intermittent problems with our hot water system which we notified a technician about ASAP, so rest assured we are not that 'crazy' to turn the water off at night! Safe travels :-)

The staff is very nice...It is close to Chinatown.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • China

First hostel I stayed at in Australia and the best so far! Wonderful staff and the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor were very good with great showers and toilets! Something that could get better: dry and clean tea towels. But that's a problem everywhere..

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

This is the first time I have stayed in a hostel by myself so was a bit apprehensive but I really enjoyed myself. I never had to wait for a shower, even when I woke up later on the Sunday. Everything was clean and tidy. Room was really warm, even had to have the window open all night sometimes (during winter). Staff are friendly and even though there isn't many common areas, the bar/cafe downstairs had things going on most nights. This did make it noisy but I wasn't fussed by it.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

I stayed in the hostel for 5 nights. Although it was quite cheap, it was really nice: the rooms were ok and clean as well as the bathrooms (usually no waiting here). Location is good, right next a Free City Circle Tram station. I did not use the kitchen, but there was everything you need. The guys in my room stayed there for quite a long time (3 to 8 months each) and were working most days, was not very helpful for one how is all new in the city. But still very friendly.

Great ambiance free drink when u arrive. Special every night at the bar. Lots of DVD and games. Good showers. And everyone is so nice and smilling!! Big dorm are ensuite. ----: kitchen a bit small... That a it!

Pretty solid place, location was great - not too far from or close to the city, a nice distance. Wish you could bring in your own alcohol. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Showers were good. I will confirm that everyone's comments regarding the squeaky floors is totally true; just incredibly loud. Other than that, good value for money. I'd recommend it.

I booked a private room which was still unvailable when I arrived to The Mansion, my booked arrival time was completed ignored and I had to wait more than 3 hours to check in. Room keys did not open the door and general appearance/ cleanses bellow expectations.

• 25th May 2014

I'll explain the concept of check-in to help you with future stays at any hostel/hotel in the world. Check-in is clearly stated as 1PM, and check-out 10AM. On Hostelworld you can indicate an ‘arrival time’ but this does not change check-in time unless you are proposing we kick out existing guests just because you arrive early? We even managed to get you into your room by 10.30AM, 2.5 hours earlier than check-in, quite incredible, as the room key ‘didn’t work’. Safe travels! Rich

A perfect stay in Melbourne! Very friendly staff, great location, clean and with a lot of character. An extra bonus for the fantastic outdoor bar, in front of the hostel, which is also a great way to meet fellow travellers. Only downside is a problem characteristic to all hostels in Australia: not always easy to get to know the other people in the hostel as many are long-stayers on working holiday visa who create there own cliques within the hostel. That said, I still made some great friends!

Not bad really for oz. great building and super friendly staff

Average hostel in general. Nothing very special, but also nothing very bad. Good kitchen, only fridge pretty crowdy. Rooms fine (was in 7-bed dormitory)with small locker for each bed. Only 2 showers and 4 toilets per floor, but surprisingly there were no queues. Often it was bit smelly in the toilets. Location was fine - bit out ofCBD but definitely in walking distance. Many guests seem to be long-termers, although I was told it's only 10-15%?

As usual whenever I have to stay in Melbourne, I love to stay at Home at the Mansion it's my home away from home! Love the bar that's now open downstairs.

• 6th May 2014