Home at The Mansion Reviews

66-90 Victoria Parade, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

The location is great, close enough to attractions yet remote enough to afford you a comfortable escape from the city center. Facilities are average - I have seen much better at hostels in Europe, Japan, and in the US, but in Australia this is one of the better places I have stayed in. It does feel like a mansion, but one that definitely had passed its prime. One clear downside is probably the creaking wooden floor, which could be loud enough to wake one from even the deepest slumber.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Vietnam

This place was amazing. It wasn't fancy, but the atmosphere and feel of staying in an old turn-of-the-century mansion, near the heart of the city, was just wonderful. The bathrooms were modern, clean and very comfortable, and the rooms had private lockers. The staff were friendly and the whole experience was exactly what the doctor ordered after a long journey.

• 17th Apr 2014

Everything good. Just more shearing areas are missing. kitchen is small

This was probably the best hostel I stayed in. The staff was excessively friendly and remembered my name, the place was decent and clean, and the other inmates caused no trouble. I would have given you a five star rating if not for the beds. Do something about the beds! I almost pulled the bunk bed over when I first tried climbing it because it was rickety as hell. And even with a burly man sleaping on the bottom bunk it kept wobbling to and fro like a drunken sailer at sea.

This place is fantastic - great staff and facilities, good location, be sure to ask lots of questions regarding what to see and do then go on and explore!

Got a very warm welcome and a nice experience as a first time backpacker.

Good vibe

• 15th Mar 2014

I paid $160 for a double room. It was an extremely small room, the floor boards squeaked, the walls had cracks, the TV didnt work, there was no air con, apart from a fan I had to plug in. I could constantly hear people walking around outside from the noisy floorboards. Ideal for your typical backpacker who just wants a place to crash, but not for me.!

• 15th Mar 2014

Thanks for your feedback, though we found it to be a little harsh The room was $160 as the Australian Grand Prix was taking place and all hostels in Melbourne had higher rates than usual. We actually advise guests on Hostelworld our private rooms are small. I tested the television after seeing this review and there were no issues. From your comment about the room being ideal for backpackers I get the impression that you would be better off booking a hotel, not a hostel in future. Best Regards.

Staff were really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable :)

• 14th Mar 2014

Too many long timers nice new Bar good food!

good location, not so far from city center and have free city loop tram near by. room is not big but clean and bed is very comfortable,i slept well in this hostel. by the way,staffs are friendly and helpful.

Although I spent only 3 nights, the entire operation was well run and super helpful. Wouldn't think twice about returning for another visit.........................

It was a nice stay. Not as clean as I thought it would be but it wasn't bad. Felt more like staying at a college dorm. Wish lockers could be bigger.

Very good hostel, really enjoyed my stay here

The location is good and the staff was really helpfull. The bathrooms are new and clean. the room was big enought, but no aircondition.

Very nice building and for the most part very nice staff. Wayyyy too warm at night though, no AC just a single fan which isn't enough. Staff lets you stay up late and drink inside which is a plus, and the showers were really clean! Overall if they added some AC this would be a top notch hostel, but I went in Summer so I'm sure it's fine in winter. Oh yeah and location isn't the best, 15-20 minute walk to the CBD. Also REALLLY expensive wifi ($3 for an hour) which is just ridiculous

Really enjoyed my stay at the Mansion, was a well setup clean Hostel. Staff are friendly and accommodating with good knowledge and plenty of enthusiasm. This hostel is a minutes walk to Parliment train station - which was a huge bouns. So far it has been the cleanest Hostel I have experienced in Melbourne, offers mulitple areas to relax inside and out of the building.

Great hostel, really clean, nice people. Ali has got to be one of the best receptionists ever, and she's a babe

• 31st Jan 2014

TV's everywhere. It's bad enough that travellers are staring at their phones at the breakfast table, do you really need a TV blaring all day? Get some music in the dining room, it would be a lot more social.

Okey hostel. Clean kitchen. Small rooms