HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

Propably the worst hostel Experience of my life. I stayed at the dorm with 6 girls and one guy, who kept me awake 2 nights. For example they went swimming at 2 am and talked loudly in the room until 6am. Obviously they were very drunk. There was nothing wrong with the hostel itself but I don't understand why noone from the said anything about this. Probably the whole hostel was awake because of those 7 guests.

Had a really good time at HomeBase :-) Melville is a lovely, safe area with good restaurants and nightlife. Staff is really funny and helpful. They have a small hostel bar and a pool, which makes socialising an easy thing. Everything is very well maintained and clean. Definitely a good place to stay in Johannesburg :-)

Great hostel, but our room was a bit stuffy/noisy.

The location is great. The hostel is located in a walkable, safe, and restaurant/bar heavy neighborhood. My sole complaint relates to the hostel's shuttle service to the airport. On arrival, the shuttle driver was over 30 minutes late. And on departure, the shuttle driver didn't even show up. That said, the staff at the hostel was great and very helpful.

Clearly, they couldn't get a heater for the rooms. It was freezing and simply shows how much they worry about customers. It could be a nice family run hostel if they provide the right facilities. They organise a good airport shuttle and are we informative as well.

super friendly helpful staff great landing pad for overseas travelers !

Stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time! The place was very clean and comfortable and within walking distance of restaurants and bars. The staff was wonderful- very friendly, approachable and helped us with all of activities. I would stay here again given the chance!

View all Johannesburg Hostels