HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi, It is maybe my third stay at this Establishment and it is always fun, I have been to over 200 hundred Hostels and this is Probably one of the best ones in Africa in terms of facilities. The downside is that Camping is no longer and option, this is bad news for some of us who are backpackers at heart, I miss the Camping Option although I understand it may be a business decision. Thank you.

Beware, Hostel wanted to charge me for my stay a second time upon checkout. I had paid full amount (without getting a receipt) when checking in. At checkout the hostel questioned my word several times in front of other guests, which was highly stressful and embarrassing. After a good while hostel admitted their screw up and I could checkout delayed to my flight!

New owners had just taken over the place so they were cleaning it up and making changes to the rooms and bathrooms. It's not a very big place so you were often in the middle of this. Also the communal area is not very big and is also the reception. I often had the feeling that I was a guest in someones house rather than a hostel, also because it had a decent number of long term resident. The host are very helpful. Ask them to book Bradley for a tour! 7th street is walking distance!

The girl in the reception is very friendly and helpfull. Swimming pool always dirty in the kitchen only 2stoves works.... this mean that cooks 1 person per time. Internet connection is not really reliable.... i saw a guest had to go buy his tkt at the airport because there was no connection for more than a day!

Lovely quiet and spacious place on a short walk from Melville! So no taxi needed! Only 'complain' would be: a bit faster wifi (but this is a first world problem, obviously)

The new owner, Jason is very helpful and got us a cheap and awesome ride to the airport.

• 22nd Nov 2014