HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

the staff weren´t very nice. they tried to take more money from us and they did: we booked a safary and they asked us for 200r more. they changed the price of the rooms . The rooms smelled bad, they didnt change the sheets, the towels smelled bad too. toilets werent very clean. beds were uncomfortabe, they had their computer broken.

Buzzer on gate didn't seem to be working.

• 5th Jan 2013

The hostel is ok, it is good because of the price and the location. The staff is very rude and not prepared to receive people. The internet works only from 8 am to 10 pm, which is ridiculous because you cannot talk to your family in case you live in a country very behind in time comparing to South Africa, and you cannot use Skype also! If they change this stuped rules about internet, the place will be much better.

Heavy atmosphere. Staff misogynist. Extremely whimsical. Employees enter the room without knocking. Without apologizing. I stayed here for a week, I was forced twice to change rooms. Given the prices, I hoped at least a friendly welcome ... After 6 months in South Africa, that was the first time i did not feel good in a backpackers. Whatever you decide to do, George is always watching you. Hard to breathe here. I strongly suggest you to go elsewhere, especially if you're a lonely young woman !

Excellent place very impressed, one of the best back packers I have seen or been too.

• 29th Nov 2012
  • South Africa

The only negative aspect of my experience with Melville Hostel is that I had subscribed a room with 5 beds, and there were at least 7 beds in the room I was accomodated.

• 25th Nov 2012

The staff was brutally mean and not understanding. I was the only girl toss amongst 5 men in a room. And they had strict internet rules and I was not allow to email my parents to let them know I made it to South Africa.

Hey Been to over 200 Hostels , hey its in SA was nice , my experience in SA hostels not much but I certainly don`t meet as much travelers here as I do In Europe , so Pub hopping solo is a high probability otherwise Hostel great .

• 24th Oct 2012
  • South Africa

We booked a private suite with an own bath via hostelworld for two nights (11th + 15th October) early in advance. We spend the first night in this room, which was ok. But for the second night they gave this room to so else. There was no other room with an own bathroom available. Then we had to use a shared bathroom and had to pay the same for this room (tiny room with no toilet). The person in charge (Peter) was not at the place to take our complaint.

• 11th Oct 2012

Clean place, met nice travellers and hostel in relatively safe neighbourhood but need taxi to get to places.

Staff was not allways nice and sometimes they where.

It is a really nice hostel, very clean and it has all kinf of facilities. It is located in Melville, a safe and beautiful area of Johannesburg, where you have lots of bars for the nightlife; but the hostel is far enought for not listen to noises. I recommend this hostel, it very good!

the staff is not so prepared to work with tourists. But, anyway, the guys trying to help everyone. No machine to pay using credit card. Good to take money there.

• 29th Sep 2012

We loved our stay. The staff were excellent, welcoming and friendly. The location was also perfect. We are returning in January.

• 26th Sep 2012
  • Scotland

Wonderfull place! I really recommeded this place. I really love it! The only thing that i dislike was the airport pick up! We arranged couple weeks in advance and when i arrived at the airport the guy didant show up letting me alone at the airport!

The manager was very rude! The hostel has no real facilities (such as a bar,gathering area...)

• 13th Aug 2012
  • Israel

Great location because its so close to 7th Avenune!

Nothing special, but nothing to complain about. It is a safe place to sleep, with "no frills". It would be nice if heat lamps could be included in the rooms over the winter months - it was quite cold in the rooms, and the electric blankets are only useful if you are in your bed. As soon as you get up, which you have to do frequently due to outside toilets/showers, you are freezing.

• 10th Aug 2012

MIB was a perfect location, always felt pretty safe!

• 6th Aug 2012

Overall I did like the hostel and location in Melville - you can safely walk around to the main street 7th Avenue. But I have a few negatives, there's no lockers to keep your valuables, it's overpriced for what it is really for 150 rand i'd expect breakfast to be included. There's set times you can use the internet 7am-10am and you are not allowed to use skype? The guy running the place was nice but the owner was a bit grumpy.

View all Johannesburg Hostels