HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

The loocation in Melvilleis very good, the reason for us to stay there. The staff is friendly but not very helpfull and only provide basic answers to the questions raised. The kitchen and bathroom are shared, which in general is not a problem but especially the kitchen was not very clean when we used it. This might be because other guests left it that way but still, this could be improved. The facities as stated on the website are a bit to optimistic, the pool is very small, too small to swim...

Had a great time here! Came here as a young solo female and really loved it. The dorm rooms have a cosy feel and have nice beds. Good free internet. Great kitchen facilities. Definitely a lovely place to hang out and relax, drink tea and read a book in the sun-lit atmospheric living area. Beautiful courtyard with garden and pool.

• 16th Aug 2013

A lovely setting and very friendly staff. I would have appreciated more reliability from the wi-fi and a wider range of information about the area from the staff. (Mostly they just referred me to bus tours.) Overall, though, an excellent value and a very nice spot to set up in Jo'burg.

Great place we enjoyed it! Locaion is great, specially if you're going to hang out in Melville. Parking also availebale inside the gate. We stayed in a double room (the more expensive one), which was wonderful. There was also a heater in the room which helped a lot during our winter stay.

• 27th Jul 2013
  • Finland

Located in a nice area of Jo´burg, with spacious rooms and good beds, Melville International Backpackers is a OK place. Not the best hostel I´ve stayed in, not as fun as I wished it to be, but a good and clean place anyway. The most anoying thing about this hostel is their wi-fi, available only from 8am to 10pm - when it works at all.

Nice hotel in a safe area with plenty of restaurants and stores, that it's also safe to go to at night. I would stay here again.

the staff weren´t very nice. they tried to take more money from us and they did: we booked a safary and they asked us for 200r more. they changed the price of the rooms . The rooms smelled bad, they didnt change the sheets, the towels smelled bad too. toilets werent very clean. beds were uncomfortabe, they had their computer broken.

Buzzer on gate didn't seem to be working.

• 5th Jan 2013

The hostel is ok, it is good because of the price and the location. The staff is very rude and not prepared to receive people. The internet works only from 8 am to 10 pm, which is ridiculous because you cannot talk to your family in case you live in a country very behind in time comparing to South Africa, and you cannot use Skype also! If they change this stuped rules about internet, the place will be much better.

Heavy atmosphere. Staff misogynist. Extremely whimsical. Employees enter the room without knocking. Without apologizing. I stayed here for a week, I was forced twice to change rooms. Given the prices, I hoped at least a friendly welcome ... After 6 months in South Africa, that was the first time i did not feel good in a backpackers. Whatever you decide to do, George is always watching you. Hard to breathe here. I strongly suggest you to go elsewhere, especially if you're a lonely young woman !

Excellent place very impressed, one of the best back packers I have seen or been too.

• 29th Nov 2012
  • South Africa

The only negative aspect of my experience with Melville Hostel is that I had subscribed a room with 5 beds, and there were at least 7 beds in the room I was accomodated.

• 25th Nov 2012

The staff was brutally mean and not understanding. I was the only girl toss amongst 5 men in a room. And they had strict internet rules and I was not allow to email my parents to let them know I made it to South Africa.

Hey Been to over 200 Hostels , hey its in SA was nice , my experience in SA hostels not much but I certainly don`t meet as much travelers here as I do In Europe , so Pub hopping solo is a high probability otherwise Hostel great .

• 24th Oct 2012
  • South Africa

We booked a private suite with an own bath via hostelworld for two nights (11th + 15th October) early in advance. We spend the first night in this room, which was ok. But for the second night they gave this room to so else. There was no other room with an own bathroom available. Then we had to use a shared bathroom and had to pay the same for this room (tiny room with no toilet). The person in charge (Peter) was not at the place to take our complaint.

• 11th Oct 2012

Clean place, met nice travellers and hostel in relatively safe neighbourhood but need taxi to get to places.

Staff was not allways nice and sometimes they where.

It is a really nice hostel, very clean and it has all kinf of facilities. It is located in Melville, a safe and beautiful area of Johannesburg, where you have lots of bars for the nightlife; but the hostel is far enought for not listen to noises. I recommend this hostel, it very good!

the staff is not so prepared to work with tourists. But, anyway, the guys trying to help everyone. No machine to pay using credit card. Good to take money there.

• 29th Sep 2012

We loved our stay. The staff were excellent, welcoming and friendly. The location was also perfect. We are returning in January.

• 26th Sep 2012