HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

I had a great time at Homebase, definitely outstanding!

• 22nd Jan 2016

Melville has been one of the best hostels to stay at and I have returned here many of time, the staff are nothing but extraordinary. There are no words for how amazing staying here is.. I love the staff and love how open and welcoming everyone is as well as the standards for the room!

• 19th Jan 2016

The property is lovely and could have a really nice atmosphere. Treatment by some staff (the lady from the day shift) was horrible though. I had a car and it was really difficult to get someone to open the gate for me on numerous occasions. Joburg is just not the place to be waiting outside a gate with a car. Guests should be given their own remote, or staff should answer the intercom promptly and look at the camera screen to see who is there. Parking is horrible too.

Propably the worst hostel Experience of my life. I stayed at the dorm with 6 girls and one guy, who kept me awake 2 nights. For example they went swimming at 2 am and talked loudly in the room until 6am. Obviously they were very drunk. There was nothing wrong with the hostel itself but I don't understand why noone from the said anything about this. Probably the whole hostel was awake because of those 7 guests.

Had a really good time at HomeBase :-) Melville is a lovely, safe area with good restaurants and nightlife. Staff is really funny and helpful. They have a small hostel bar and a pool, which makes socialising an easy thing. Everything is very well maintained and clean. Definitely a good place to stay in Johannesburg :-)

Great hostel, but our room was a bit stuffy/noisy.

The location is great. The hostel is located in a walkable, safe, and restaurant/bar heavy neighborhood. My sole complaint relates to the hostel's shuttle service to the airport. On arrival, the shuttle driver was over 30 minutes late. And on departure, the shuttle driver didn't even show up. That said, the staff at the hostel was great and very helpful.

Clearly, they couldn't get a heater for the rooms. It was freezing and simply shows how much they worry about customers. It could be a nice family run hostel if they provide the right facilities. They organise a good airport shuttle and are we informative as well.

super friendly helpful staff great landing pad for overseas travelers !

Stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time! The place was very clean and comfortable and within walking distance of restaurants and bars. The staff was wonderful- very friendly, approachable and helped us with all of activities. I would stay here again given the chance!

Stay was fine, helpful staff. Only stayed one night

Hi, It is maybe my third stay at this Establishment and it is always fun, I have been to over 200 hundred Hostels and this is Probably one of the best ones in Africa in terms of facilities. The downside is that Camping is no longer and option, this is bad news for some of us who are backpackers at heart, I miss the Camping Option although I understand it may be a business decision. Thank you.

Beware, Hostel wanted to charge me for my stay a second time upon checkout. I had paid full amount (without getting a receipt) when checking in. At checkout the hostel questioned my word several times in front of other guests, which was highly stressful and embarrassing. After a good while hostel admitted their screw up and I could checkout delayed to my flight!

New owners had just taken over the place so they were cleaning it up and making changes to the rooms and bathrooms. It's not a very big place so you were often in the middle of this. Also the communal area is not very big and is also the reception. I often had the feeling that I was a guest in someones house rather than a hostel, also because it had a decent number of long term resident. The host are very helpful. Ask them to book Bradley for a tour! 7th street is walking distance!

The girl in the reception is very friendly and helpfull. Swimming pool always dirty in the kitchen only 2stoves works.... this mean that cooks 1 person per time. Internet connection is not really reliable.... i saw a guest had to go buy his tkt at the airport because there was no connection for more than a day!

Lovely quiet and spacious place on a short walk from Melville! So no taxi needed! Only 'complain' would be: a bit faster wifi (but this is a first world problem, obviously)

nice place in Melville, not far from pubs and stuff...

The new owner, Jason is very helpful and got us a cheap and awesome ride to the airport.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Amazing! Definitely will come back there. Safe, clean and a great atmosphere. :)

• 14th Aug 2014

We booked a room for two people and as we arrived they told us that our room wasn't available anymore. Luckily out friends switched the reservation with us so that they stayed in the dorm and we could have the room. Unfortunately the room was a really small cabin with one bed for one person that we had to share even though we paid for two people.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5