HomeBase Melville Reviews

37 - 1st Avenue, Melville, Johannesburg, South Africa

Excellent place and people! Very helpful staff and very good location in a safe neighbourhood (Melville). Great hostel, I'll be coming back when I'm in Johannesburg again.

I had a great time at Homebase, definitely outstanding!

• 22nd Jan 2016

Melville has been one of the best hostels to stay at and I have returned here many of time, the staff are nothing but extraordinary. There are no words for how amazing staying here is.. I love the staff and love how open and welcoming everyone is as well as the standards for the room!

• 19th Jan 2016

The property is lovely and could have a really nice atmosphere. Treatment by some staff (the lady from the day shift) was horrible though. I had a car and it was really difficult to get someone to open the gate for me on numerous occasions. Joburg is just not the place to be waiting outside a gate with a car. Guests should be given their own remote, or staff should answer the intercom promptly and look at the camera screen to see who is there. Parking is horrible too.

Propably the worst hostel Experience of my life. I stayed at the dorm with 6 girls and one guy, who kept me awake 2 nights. For example they went swimming at 2 am and talked loudly in the room until 6am. Obviously they were very drunk. There was nothing wrong with the hostel itself but I don't understand why noone from the said anything about this. Probably the whole hostel was awake because of those 7 guests.

Leuke hostel. Een aanrader om je trip in Zuid-Afrika te beginnen.

• 6th Nov 2015
  • Belgium

Had a really good time at HomeBase :-) Melville is a lovely, safe area with good restaurants and nightlife. Staff is really funny and helpful. They have a small hostel bar and a pool, which makes socialising an easy thing. Everything is very well maintained and clean. Definitely a good place to stay in Johannesburg :-)

Cool hostel! Staff amazing!!!!!!! Clean enough. Wifi ok, Kitchen and rest of facilites as well. No laundry... Location: good, nice neigbourhood but we had car so dont know about bus Recomend: YES

Local tranquilo, sem restrições para andar a pé, com bares, restaurantes e supermercado perto. Ambiente bem agradável, só a piscina que não estava muito limpa, mas tinha gente nadando assim mesmo. O taxi do aeroporto fica em 300 rands.

Great hostel, but our room was a bit stuffy/noisy.

The location is great. The hostel is located in a walkable, safe, and restaurant/bar heavy neighborhood. My sole complaint relates to the hostel's shuttle service to the airport. On arrival, the shuttle driver was over 30 minutes late. And on departure, the shuttle driver didn't even show up. That said, the staff at the hostel was great and very helpful.

Clearly, they couldn't get a heater for the rooms. It was freezing and simply shows how much they worry about customers. It could be a nice family run hostel if they provide the right facilities. They organise a good airport shuttle and are we informative as well.

View all Johannesburg Hostels