Homeikan Reviews

10-5 Hongo, 5-Chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan

Great for a cheaper option for a ryokan. Would be great if they had actual shower facilities-- have a communal bath and family bath (both with a wall of handheld shower fixtures). Didn't like the fact that the doors can't lock from the inside (at least mine couldn't). All in all, good place to stay for the traditional atmosphere.

The staff were very helpful and polite. The building is lovely and the baths were a great way to wind down the day. The room was cleaned when we were gone. The breakfast in the morning for 1000円 was great and brought to our room on time. If you're using the JR pass, the closest station (suidoubashi) is about 20mins walk away. Close to Tokyo dome city and a variety of stores.

After booking online I was expecting to pay the amount stated (as with other online bookings in Japan) but tax was added and this should have been mentioned when reserving. Also expected the price to include 2 meals as the norm with Ryokans. Food was available at additional cost but we as we arrived at after 11am we could not order dinner. Historical aspects of building lovely although the washing facilities needed refurbishment. Only 1 shower facilities/sento for all accommodation.

• 10th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

A very classic hotel. Very pleasant staff. Good place to stay.

5 min. walk to nearest subway station (but it's a Tokei line) and 20 min. walk from JR station. Room, facilities are impeccable.

The best place I have ever stayed - authentic, a wonderfull bathroom, very kind staff and lovely atmosphere.

Very pleasant stay. A bit far from the touristic places. No much restaurant around. But a very pleasant ryokan, with the japanese spirit. We enjoyed our stay.

• 4th Apr 2015

Thank you very much for your stay at us. The phrase, Japanese spirt sounds very encouraging for us. Yes, we preserve our tradition in the cener of this modern city Tokyo.

Nicest place i've stayed in Japan. Traditional atmosphere, rooms are clean, the little garden is so cute, beautiful details all over the place. And helpful staff. I really enjoyed being there.

Superb staff and food, and an excellent traditional old Japanese feel. We stayed in the second house which was lovely.

Excelent staff, a little far of JR station but close to the metro station.

Really a good place to stay for visiting Tokyo. 5 mn from metro entrance, quite centric. Absolutely clean, very nice staff, all facilities around. Warm recommendation. I forgot one important thing: absolute quietness!

• 24th Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

A thoroughly good way for non Japanese to begin to understand the local culture. We noted that schools send children so that the new generation can connect to their roots. Far friendlier than the falseness of hotels, far more genuine warmth of welcome. The bath is fantastic.

• 9th Mar 2015

In my roughly 45 years of staying in hostels and small hotels around the world, the Homeikan Ryokan in Tokyo is probably the best. I've stayed there several times over the past dozen years, and it hasn't changed--- excellence around. The facility is beautiful, very artistic, the staff very friendly and helpful, and it's clean as a whistle. Great traditional Japanese experience.

Not a hostel. It's a traditional ryokan. Very great place to relax. Not a place to meet people, but a great place to experience the culture.

Breakfast brought to my room the next morning was an excellent decision!!! So delicious!!! Thank you :)

• 22nd Feb 2015

The environment of this hotel is pretty good! It's quiet and I can totally relax. The service is great as well! The staves of the hotel are enthusiasm and kind. I had a lot of joy during these days. The breakfast they provided smelt good and delicious and made me expect every morning!

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Taiwan

Awesome Japanese style old hotel. Love it. It has nice bathroom with hot bath for 24 hours. The room was very old style and comfortable. Having breakfast in bedroom is also available . Wanna visit there again .

• 17th Feb 2015
  • Taiwan

Really enjoyed our stay here. It's about a ten-fifteen minute walk from a Subway station - just five stops from Tokyo. I was concerned from other reviews that it would be difficult to find /inconvenient, but I rather liked it! The room itself was great - big and a super cozy futon, although the bathrooms aren't as modern. It was worth it for the lovely room and nice atmosphere - beautiful garden, etc. Breakfast was great value.

Some chairs would have made us foreigners more comfortable.

• 24th Jan 2015

a great traditional hotel, it was a good experience as my friend and I stayed here for out last day in japan. staff are very friendly