Homeikan Reviews

10-5 Hongo, 5-Chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan

Closed to Tokyo university, enjoy the public bath and surround environment, highly recommend for stay here, new(old) experience in Tokyo =)

My last night in Japan...first time at a Ryokan! Definitely a new experience and recommend to those who want to experience the traditional inn life. The in-house onsen was great. Staff were remarkably friendly and helpful and the breakfast served was good. Very quiet but obviously no atmosphere but I like that :) I would have ranked this place higher if only I didn't catch a one-week cold from my room but overall a great experience. Thank you!

Lovely breakfast, friendly staff. We enjoyed our stay and it was our favourite accommodation on our honeymoon.

• 13th Nov 2014

Very beautiful hostel - if you're looking for a really social situation I'm not sure this is it, but this was my favorite place I stayed during my trip to Japan. Authentic -- Tatami mat rooms, soji screens, sliding windows that overlook gardens... a great retreat to relax at after a crazy day in the city. Would go back again & recommend to anyone.

very impressed by the old style of the building and decoration just like when you pass the door you pass through the other dimension of time. the staffs are all very kind and helpful. only one thing is the location is a bit far from the train station if anyone have heavy luggage might be a good idea to take a cab

This Ryokan is the best hostel I've ever stayed. I especially like flavor of Tatami in the room. They provide us very delicious Japanese breakfast, thank you very much! All the staff are very friendly especially Koike San. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Lovely ryokan in a great location. Thank-you

• 30th Oct 2014

Really nice, traditional looking place. Never had the food there but the staff were awesome, the rooms were quite nice, cozy, and cute. And the private bath was quite lovely. The pond in the back where you could smoke was really tranquil and every enjoyed sitting out there. And it wasn't too difficult to get to places on the train, it was a 5-6 minute walk to Kagusa station, so transportation wasn't to bad. I would stay here again for sure.

This was by far the most charming place I stayed, of all the five places I stayed in Japan! Their interior architecture in most of it is delightfully organic, and even if it's threadbare in places it's still elegant. Their garden is delightfully peaceful and pretty. Elegant marble-lined onsen (bath) on the first floor (nicer than the larger onsen in the basement). Wifi / internet is fast and reliable. The only downside is that the location's inconvenient. But quiet mellow neighborhood.

Firstly with the bad. The place is not secure enough as doors do not have locks. But the area and the vibe of the place is so peaceful I still felt safe. Valuables could be locked in a safe also. I have never felt safer than I did in Tokyo. More importantly, this place was amazing! We stayed in Daichan Bekkan. The garden was beautiful. The room was so cool and authentic. We even stayed our first evening in when we were here because it was so cosy. The staff were helpful, sweet and funny.

I thought Homeikan was a pretty nice modestly-priced Ryokan. It was the only Ryokan I stayed at on my trip, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was nice to have a private room that was cultural experience and not break the bank. The location is a little out of the way in a regular neighborhood, but it's findable. If you want to take a private shower, they have a single "family bath" that you can use, but you might have to wait for it. Overall, I though it was a good place to stay.

Delightful ryokan in a very peaceful area. 10 minutes easy walk to Hongo-sanchome station. Loved the breakfast (order day before). Comfortable beds, great yukatas. Highlight was the ladies' basement bath- spacious and lovely decor.

This was a lovely stay in a traditional ryokan. The location is brilliant and I think you'd struggle to get better value for money for just a couple of subway stops from central tokyo.

Dingy, noisy floor, Not all road signs were in English. I saw it also confused other groups as there are 3 different hotels and road signs are very ambiguous. Hotel signs are in Japanese only.

This was our first traditional hostel in Japan and was very hard to find due to it's location within a part of town with streets with no name but loved every min of our stay, must admit wooden floor a little hard haha

Will definitelly not recommend. This hostal was very old and poorly maintened. We booked to get the chance to have the experience of a real ryokan but it was morky. The room was dodgy with plastic bin, 50y old refrigerator, cables all over. It did not feel zen fengshui or japonese at all. The girls @ recepetio were all nice but the main manager was really akward and make you feel unconfortable (as if you were disturbing him by staying in his hostel). If you want to go to ryokan go to a proper 1.

• 7th Sep 2014

the bathroom very cleaning and the breakfast i recommending try it ! very yummy and full of local feeling

• 5th Sep 2014
  • China

The room itself was very nice traditional Japanese room with tatami matte. Took me a while to find the hostel and I finally showed up at the wrong building (they have three different locations in this area) but they provided a free shuttle to get me to the right wing. It is a super calm place and every noise you make will be noticed, but everybody was self aware so I didn't had any noise issues. There's a shared public bath and a private one. It's a nice place, just a bit remote and boring.

great builtin "onsen" bath; nice little garden with fish pond; very large traditional rooms

Really nice and clean hostel. Has everything you need! Very nice staff too!