Homeikan Reviews

10-5 Hongo, 5-Chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan

Good price, good atmosphere İ will come back.

• 16th Jan 2015
  • South Korea

Million thanks for your stay and your comment ! You are always welcome. All Homeikan staff

This is a great place to stay if you need some room (from small hostel rooms as we discovered). We had a twin room - traditional style - beds on the floor, a fridge, tv, table/cushions tea and coffee. The place is characteristic and the hot baths are relaxing. Nice traditional place. Near metro but area does not have much to do (uni area)

Thank you for your stay at this very old traditional Ryokan . Our style can be super minority in accommodation business in big city like Tokyo. You say small hostel rooms. This is wrong. they are real authentic Japanese rooms in Ryokan. Ryokan is Japan original and may be very unique for foreigners. This can be the reason why Hostelworld.com might put Ryokan into hostel category. Yes, you are right. This area is good for resident who like quiet,clean and academic atmosphere.

We had a lovely stay! The whole staff is very friendly, helpful and shows you everything you need to know (in English!). The night was quiet and the bath we took was really relaxing! I'd love to come back to the Homeikan when I'm in Tokyo again!

• 12th Jan 2015

Although this very likely was a reputable inn at one point, it seems that it has seen better days. This traditional ryokan is somewhat dusty, smelled of mold, and definitely didn't seem the cleanest. It was way overpriced, in my opinion. Potential guests should know that showers are communal. Overall, a good experience (for the traditional aspect of things including communal showers, tatami mats, yukata robes, matcha tea, etc.), but I wouldn't stay here again because of location and high cost.

*Location: it is not near to the main attractions, but the subway is 10 minutes walking. *Very difficult to find, as the sign is only in Japanese!!! *Staff: not very good English *if you are looking for a Japanese experience, this is the place!!!! Nice room, typical shower, amazing breakfast. :) *Not really a place to meet people, but overall I would definitely recommend it! It was a really different experience!

Amazing. Just make sure to stay in the main building with the garden. Couldn't ask for more. Seriously. If facilities were better (although I don't mind it) this could be easily converted in a boutique 5 star hotel. Don't hesitate.

• 30th Dec 2014

Closed to Tokyo university, enjoy the public bath and surround environment, highly recommend for stay here, new(old) experience in Tokyo =)

My last night in Japan...first time at a Ryokan! Definitely a new experience and recommend to those who want to experience the traditional inn life. The in-house onsen was great. Staff were remarkably friendly and helpful and the breakfast served was good. Very quiet but obviously no atmosphere but I like that :) I would have ranked this place higher if only I didn't catch a one-week cold from my room but overall a great experience. Thank you!

Lovely breakfast, friendly staff. We enjoyed our stay and it was our favourite accommodation on our honeymoon.

• 13th Nov 2014

Very beautiful hostel - if you're looking for a really social situation I'm not sure this is it, but this was my favorite place I stayed during my trip to Japan. Authentic -- Tatami mat rooms, soji screens, sliding windows that overlook gardens... a great retreat to relax at after a crazy day in the city. Would go back again & recommend to anyone.

very impressed by the old style of the building and decoration just like when you pass the door you pass through the other dimension of time. the staffs are all very kind and helpful. only one thing is the location is a bit far from the train station if anyone have heavy luggage might be a good idea to take a cab

This Ryokan is the best hostel I've ever stayed. I especially like flavor of Tatami in the room. They provide us very delicious Japanese breakfast, thank you very much! All the staff are very friendly especially Koike San. I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Lovely ryokan in a great location. Thank-you

• 30th Oct 2014

Really nice, traditional looking place. Never had the food there but the staff were awesome, the rooms were quite nice, cozy, and cute. And the private bath was quite lovely. The pond in the back where you could smoke was really tranquil and every enjoyed sitting out there. And it wasn't too difficult to get to places on the train, it was a 5-6 minute walk to Kagusa station, so transportation wasn't to bad. I would stay here again for sure.

This was by far the most charming place I stayed, of all the five places I stayed in Japan! Their interior architecture in most of it is delightfully organic, and even if it's threadbare in places it's still elegant. Their garden is delightfully peaceful and pretty. Elegant marble-lined onsen (bath) on the first floor (nicer than the larger onsen in the basement). Wifi / internet is fast and reliable. The only downside is that the location's inconvenient. But quiet mellow neighborhood.

Firstly with the bad. The place is not secure enough as doors do not have locks. But the area and the vibe of the place is so peaceful I still felt safe. Valuables could be locked in a safe also. I have never felt safer than I did in Tokyo. More importantly, this place was amazing! We stayed in Daichan Bekkan. The garden was beautiful. The room was so cool and authentic. We even stayed our first evening in when we were here because it was so cosy. The staff were helpful, sweet and funny.

I thought Homeikan was a pretty nice modestly-priced Ryokan. It was the only Ryokan I stayed at on my trip, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was nice to have a private room that was cultural experience and not break the bank. The location is a little out of the way in a regular neighborhood, but it's findable. If you want to take a private shower, they have a single "family bath" that you can use, but you might have to wait for it. Overall, I though it was a good place to stay.

Delightful ryokan in a very peaceful area. 10 minutes easy walk to Hongo-sanchome station. Loved the breakfast (order day before). Comfortable beds, great yukatas. Highlight was the ladies' basement bath- spacious and lovely decor.

This was a lovely stay in a traditional ryokan. The location is brilliant and I think you'd struggle to get better value for money for just a couple of subway stops from central tokyo.

Dingy, noisy floor, Not all road signs were in English. I saw it also confused other groups as there are 3 different hotels and road signs are very ambiguous. Hotel signs are in Japanese only.