Homeikan Reviews

10-5 Hongo, 5-Chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan

A thoroughly enjoyable hotel in every aspect at a very reasonable price

We were disappointed to stay in Morikawa. It would be good to find out which of the three houses one is staying in in advance. After trekking up form the station we had to walk on again! Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the pictures. You would need to be in the other house for the garden - which was really the view we were hoping for considering this was our engagement celebration holiday. All in all it was perfectly average, but I'd say you can get more for your money elsewhere.

Excellent traditional Ryokan, one of the best I've ever been to! With my husband, we would have loved to stay for longer (we stayed only for two nights) so next time we will do it for sure! Thanks so much for the kindness and big efforts of the hosts! They are all very heartwarming! Something we really enjoyed in our stay and wanted to remark: the "ofuro" (traditional Japanese Bath) reserved for families. Really relaxing!

We had an excellent stay. The people running the inn were extremely kind and helpful, and one spoke very good English, which was helpful for us.

My family and I stayed here for two nights. We wanted the Japanese Ryokan experience; Tatami mats, group baths and traditional breakfast. It was wonderful. The staff was flexible about letting four of us stay in a room for three despite me making reservation mistakes. The house is beautiful and in a great older neighborhood with a traditional feel. Walking distance to one of the most beautiful parks in Tokyo, one of the best temples and the National Museum. Excellent!

Beautiful building and atmosphere. Would have liked to have been able to lock our door from the inside at night.

Homeikan is our go-to inn in Tokyo. The staff is friendly and helpful. The traditional ryokan atmosphere and hospitality is fast disappearing from Tokyo, but Homeikan retains the hospitality and ambience of the relaxing ryokan experience. Be sure not to miss the hot bath when you stay there and give our greetings to the staff, especially the ever-cheerful Ms. Ito. - R. Meher

Very friendly staff, good rooms, clean bathrooms and typical atmosphere.

Very nice ryokan experience!

A fantastic hostel, very simple, traditional. The staff are VERY kind and helpful. The japanese breakfast is great and the rooms are lovely. The common baths are very nice and the family bath is even better, in a beautiful domed room. Only drawback: it was winter and the room got very cold, and had a gas heater which was a bit noisy and caused a slight smell.

• 4th Feb 2014

Beautiful traditional guesthouse with a lovely Japanese traditional garden. Great service. Bathing facilities are excellent, particularly the private bath. Homeikan has a great location in Tokyo: Hop onto the metro and you can get to any major station within 10-20 minutes. If there is one downside, they charged extra tax upon checkout which, while mentioned in the booking, had me confused for a minute (I wish it was just included in the Hostelworld subtotal)

Thank you very much for your stay at us and your comment . From April this year,consumption tax is going to be 8% ( it is 5% now). We amend the rate from tax include prices to tax not included prices very recently. price itself is not increased. >> traditional guesthouse.... We call it "Ryokan". There are many fantastic Ryokan in Japan. We are not that nice comparing with Ryokan in local cities. We are not for rich person. We are for everybody who likes Ryokan.

It was a really beautiful and relaxing place. Spacious tatami mat rooms looking over Japanese gardens. The shared bathroom experience was great, just sitting in the hot tub and meeting other travellers. It was a really great retreat after spending a day running around Tokyo.

Thank you very much for your stay at us. We are very,very happy to read your comment regarding shared bathroom experience. Some foreigners might think shared bathroom could be a meeting place for homo sexual. The reality is NO . I hope our government , tourism agency of Japan ask you to use your comment and or travel blog officially. That can be one of very effective way to introduce Japan and Ryokan to the world. Thanks again. you encourage all staff of Homeikan very much.

It was nice and peaceful

• 22nd Jan 2014
  • Thailand

Thank you very much for your stay at us and your comment. Peaceful ! That one word is enough for us. We are proud of it. Please stay at us when you come back to Tokyo.

My brother and I really enjoyed our stay at Homeikan. We really wanted an authentic experience at a ryokan while we were in japan and got it. The main area was a little cold but the staff did their utmost to ensure our room was nice and warm. The futon beds were a little tough after a few days of skiing as were the shared showers but that was the experience we signed up for:) I highly recommend the place. The staff were amazing!

• 10th Jan 2014

Lovely Ryokan-style hostel with unique atmosphere. Additional japanese breakfast costs around 1000 yen and it is highly recommended to give a try.

Thank you very much for your comment and your stay at us. What we are doing is the one that we, Japanese has been doing for many,many years. You say , Ryokan-style hostel. It is wrong. We are genuine, authentic Ryokan. we are not hostel. We don't have dorm rooms, we don't have self kitchen, We keep one of Japan's tradition in the center of Tokyo. That 's Ryokan Homeikan.

I really liked staying at Homeikan. The communal bath was a surprise, and I am not comfortable bathing in front of others. Maybe some shower curtains would be appreciated for foreign guests who are not used to bathing with others. Also, the lock on my door did not seem very secure. I felt okay with it, but other guests may be concerned. Otherwise, the staff was friendly and I felt very comfortable in my room. Thank you so much!

• 30th Dec 2013

Great Ryokan! Very friendly people, good food and a wonderful japanese bath. The only bad thing about this hostel is that the doors and windows are made of paper, so it can get pretty noisy for you neighbours or yourself.

Thank you very much for your stay at us . As you have described on your comment, we have been preserving Japan's traditional style . The house is made of wood , paper, soil and of stones. This is exactly same as temples, shrines, castles and private houses. Our wooden parts are a not suitable property for party boys and party girls. We put those noisy teenagers into our concrete parts of our properties.

If you want an authentic ryokan experience book yourself a room in Homeikan. The room is like in the movies, there's a sort of onsen for the guests, and they provide a yukata which is optional to use. The staff are very nice. I checked in all by myself at midnight (because I'm spontaneous like that), on the main door they left me some instructions on how to get settled, etc so no probs. Only gripe is location (Asakusa is the best) but then that's part of the authenticity (ie, peace

• 24th Dec 2013
  • Philippines

Such a traditional Japanese style, my friends and I am impressed with the hotel. We think to stay there again when we are back to Japan in future. It is really worth for the money you pay. We are also impressed for the service that all staffs gave us.

• 8th Dec 2013
  • Thailand

Thanks million ! You had stayed at the oldest Ryokan in Tokyo. Homeikan Honakn is now listed at historical tangible property by the culture agency of Japan. This agency is a part of the dept of education . We can be one of accommodation for travelers who wish to feel Japan's real tradition .

Enjoyed a great stay in the traditional Japanese ryokan. The vibe was incredibly relaxed in a quiet area. Would recommend this to anyone staying in tokyo

Thank you for your comment. Yes, we are not in the touristy area , but 3 subway stations within walking distance from us can be very convenient for all types of travelers. Please feel one of Japan's tradition "Ryokan" in the city center .