Homeikan

Fabulous 1115 Total Reviews

• USA, Mixed Group, 18-24
4th Jun 2017
7.7

The Homeikan was an awesome experience for sure. The hosts were so kind and fun to talk to. The location is a little far from a JR station, especially when you have all your luggage. And, with everything considered, I don't think it was worth how much it cost. If you don't mind the money or the distance, I would highly recommend it!

12th May 2017
8.0

Definitely an authentic room, spacious rooms, safes, designated shoe cubbies. If you are not comfortable with potentially showering in the same room as other same-sex guests, this location is not for you. They have one private traditional bath room and one gendered open bath room. The private one is almost always occupied in the mornings and evenings. The staff is friendly. but strictly adhere to check out time. I'd suggest you get directions in Japanese & photos to find it (residential st).

11th Apr 2017

I've stayed twice now and it's always been a wonderful experience. The private bath is a definite plus after a long day of walking.

• sabrinatrudeau
  • USA, Female, 18-24
9th Apr 2017
5.1

I booked and searched for this hostel for 2 people/1 room. It clearly says "price per room" when you book. It doesn't say anything about per person in the guidelines. Regardless I booked for two people but when we arrived they told me we booked for only one. They seemed annoyed when I told them it was for two and told us we would have to pay per person. We ended up paying more than a hundred more than what we planned. If I had more character room I would go more into detail. Very disappointed.

• New Zealand, Female, 25-30
11th Feb 2017

Fantastic place to stay for an authentic Japonese experience. I stopped off before heading skiing and the staff were very friendly and helpfull. Was able to leave my large ski bag after check out so I could explore Tokyo. Would highly recommend it!

• Singapore, Female, 25-30
3rd Feb 2017
8.0

The room that I stayed in was small to sleep 4 person. Generally everything is ok! Value for money.

29th Jan 2017

This is my second stay in the past two years and it's just as charming as I remembered it. This place has a lot of history and atmosphere. Right next to Tokyo Univ. Homeikan used to be a dormitory for students but is turned into a ryokan style hotel. If you want a western style hotel, this isn't the place for you because this place is 100% Japanese. Note that because this is a dormitory, everything is more or less shared. Sinks, Baths, and toilets are all shared. But this place has personality.

• USA, Male, 18-24
10th Jan 2017

Great location near Tokyo University! Close to just about everything via train. The staff is extremely kind and made sure everything was accommodating. Only con is that the facilities are a bit old.

Thank you very much for your stay at us. >> The facities are a bit old,,,, You are right. Honkan was built in 19th century ,Daimachi Bekkan was built 5 years after WW2, Morikawa Bekkan was buitl in 1955. We try to improve some of them for years. But, for some parts, it seems very hard to reach to Today's level.

• WJGMeijer
  • Netherlands, Couple, 31-40
  • Globetrotter
9th Jan 2017

Great stay in an old Japanese ryokan. A must do while enjoying Japan.

3rd Jan 2017

Overall, a very enjoyable experience! We felt very welcomed by the staff! It was the first during our trip where we felt at home and comfortable as opposed to the traditional Western hostel environment that we've been staying at. The maids took care of everything and set up our beds and served us breakfast the next morning. A few downfalls would be the cold breakfast food and creepy hallways. Best parts would be the private onsen and living in a traditional Japanese Inn!