Homeikan Reviews

10-5 Hongo, 5-Chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan

This was by far the most charming place I stayed, of all the five places I stayed in Japan! Their interior architecture in most of it is delightfully organic, and even if it's threadbare in places it's still elegant. Their garden is delightfully peaceful and pretty. Elegant marble-lined onsen (bath) on the first floor (nicer than the larger onsen in the basement). Wifi / internet is fast and reliable. The only downside is that the location's inconvenient. But quiet mellow neighborhood.

Firstly with the bad. The place is not secure enough as doors do not have locks. But the area and the vibe of the place is so peaceful I still felt safe. Valuables could be locked in a safe also. I have never felt safer than I did in Tokyo. More importantly, this place was amazing! We stayed in Daichan Bekkan. The garden was beautiful. The room was so cool and authentic. We even stayed our first evening in when we were here because it was so cosy. The staff were helpful, sweet and funny.

I thought Homeikan was a pretty nice modestly-priced Ryokan. It was the only Ryokan I stayed at on my trip, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it was nice to have a private room that was cultural experience and not break the bank. The location is a little out of the way in a regular neighborhood, but it's findable. If you want to take a private shower, they have a single "family bath" that you can use, but you might have to wait for it. Overall, I though it was a good place to stay.

Delightful ryokan in a very peaceful area. 10 minutes easy walk to Hongo-sanchome station. Loved the breakfast (order day before). Comfortable beds, great yukatas. Highlight was the ladies' basement bath- spacious and lovely decor.

This was a lovely stay in a traditional ryokan. The location is brilliant and I think you'd struggle to get better value for money for just a couple of subway stops from central tokyo.

Dingy, noisy floor, Not all road signs were in English. I saw it also confused other groups as there are 3 different hotels and road signs are very ambiguous. Hotel signs are in Japanese only.

This was our first traditional hostel in Japan and was very hard to find due to it's location within a part of town with streets with no name but loved every min of our stay, must admit wooden floor a little hard haha

Will definitelly not recommend. This hostal was very old and poorly maintened. We booked to get the chance to have the experience of a real ryokan but it was morky. The room was dodgy with plastic bin, 50y old refrigerator, cables all over. It did not feel zen fengshui or japonese at all. The girls @ recepetio were all nice but the main manager was really akward and make you feel unconfortable (as if you were disturbing him by staying in his hostel). If you want to go to ryokan go to a proper 1.

• 7th Sep 2014

the bathroom very cleaning and the breakfast i recommending try it ! very yummy and full of local feeling

• 5th Sep 2014
  • China

The room itself was very nice traditional Japanese room with tatami matte. Took me a while to find the hostel and I finally showed up at the wrong building (they have three different locations in this area) but they provided a free shuttle to get me to the right wing. It is a super calm place and every noise you make will be noticed, but everybody was self aware so I didn't had any noise issues. There's a shared public bath and a private one. It's a nice place, just a bit remote and boring.

great builtin "onsen" bath; nice little garden with fish pond; very large traditional rooms

1 2 Next » last »