Hongdae Pencil Guesthouse & Hostel Reviews

113-32, donggyo-dong, Mapo Gu, Seoul, South Korea

Location was very close to the subway. Staff were very helpful. Room was very clean. The only draw backs were late breakfasts which started at 8:30 am and poor instructions on how to operate the security doors particularly for self check in. Breakfast needs to start at 7 am and there needs to be better instructions on how to operate the security doors outside business hours. Other than those two points my stay was very enjoyable.

Pencil Guesthouse was a great decision. It's close to the subway and the directions made it easy to find. The rooms were clean and there were plenty of lockers. Also, one night during my stay I lost my Korean debit card. I rushed back to the hostel and they were able to have it canceled before it could be used for anything. If I stay in Hongdae again I'm staying here.

Close to all delights in hongdae area, clean and quiet. The receptionist speaks perfect English and was very helpful. Would like to stay here again next time!

Perfect stay. I was in an all female 4 bed dorm - the bathroom is attached to the room and came with shampoo, body wash and toothpaste. The beds were comfy and the pillow was very soft. Security is great and the staff makes sure you have all the codes. There is a really good breakfast and the common room is cosy but very well stocked with drinks and snacks and wifi. The staff were so, so kind. I met Pei and she was incredibly welcoming and helpful!

Very awesome, loved the breakfast they gave every morning. Staff are great and very helpful. Almost feels like more of a family hostel than a travelling one. Did make good friends there though.

Location was nice and close to Hongdae, without the bustle and noise of being too close. While the building security was great, there was only one locker available in the 4 person dorm room. Included breakfast was nice. The room was spacious and clean, with the extra hotel-like facilities a nice bonus. The ensuite was convenient, but the lack of separate shower area was a bit annoying. Overall would definitely recommend.

I had a really great time in this hostel, everybody are so kind. So I recommend this hostel !

Thank you. Enjoy your time with your love one :)

Great location, very secure, and clean.

Hostel was really clean and tidy, and facilities were really good for the price! Was really surprised to have a toilet in our own room! Staff at the hostel were really friendly too! Accommodation was also really close to the subway exit! Will definitely come back again!

Thank you:) Bet i'll see you again since you said you like Korea :) Take care ^^

The hostel was a bit hard to find with a little sign that was hidden. The hostel itself is quite nice and is clean.The bathroom double as a shower so the floors were always wet. The breakfast was good to go with a station to make eggs and toast. It is a quite place not much for meeting others as the common area is small. But, if you like a quite hostel its great. It's near line two which can take you to most of the major site areas. The staff were nice and if I had any question the help out.

Staffs are so friendly and helpful

Great staff, friendly and helpful.

• 13th Jan 2015

Thank you for the awesome review. Take care :)

Great location, very close to subway and direct train to airport. Lots of things to see, shop and eat. Helpful staff, great thank to Abby and Ken! Very clean and good facilities. Best breakfast for hostel standard. I would like to go back again and confident to recommend to friends.

• 9th Jan 2015

Thank you :) Hope you are doing well ^^

It was a good hostel, though a little hard to find and quite noisy. Everything else was nice and the district was brilliant.

Hello ^^ Sorry that the other quest were a little noisy :(

Location is convenient, however, it is placed in an alley that may be easily missed. Staffs, Abby&Ken, were amazingly accommodating & nice! Their heated floor system is great for the winter & I got sick while being in Korea due to going in&out of the cold&warmness in buildings. Abby was hospitable on checking in on me & I truly appreciate it. Facilities are modern & they have coded security. Breakfast complimentary in the mornings. I wish the lounging area was bigger& dorms more space!

Hello, Thank you for the review :) We wish to have a bigger lobby and rooms too :( Too bad everything in seoul is a little tiny. Take care :)

Everything about this love was great. I only stayed 1 night, but was very pleased and would stay again! Best thing was the staff, the location and just the general value for money! Would definetly recommend a friend.

Very good location - close to subway. Lots of places to drink and eat. Really enjoyed our stay.

Glad that you've enjoyed your stay. Thank you.

Since I had friends staying in another room in the hostel it was pretty easy to tell that the door code was simply adjusted by two digits for each floor and which room on the floor the door leads into. It would be pretty easy for someone to get into someone else's room if they wanted to!

Hye ^^ Our we change the format from time to time :) thank you for the review :)

This hostel was very nice! Felt like we were staying in a hotel as every room has its own private restroom, TV, fridge, and lockers! The floors were also heated which is great during the very cold and snowy winter. The breakfast was nice; you could cook your own eggs and make toast with tea, coffee, juice on the side and cereal as well. The staff were very friendly and welcoming! Receptive of our questions and very accommodating if you have to check in late, etc. The area was superb as well!

Hello, thank you for the awesome review, hope to see you again ^^

the location is just 1-2 minutes from the subway, the neighborhood is cool, the staff super friendly, nice breakfast. it is not in the city center but closer to the airport which worked better for me. I'd definitely recommend ! I slept well...will come again. david

• 11th Dec 2014
  • Israel

Thank you :) Hope you are doing well :)