Hongdae Pencil Guesthouse & Hostel Reviews

113-32, donggyo-dong, Mapo Gu, Seoul, South Korea

Location is excellent: 5 minute walk from Hongik University Station (exit 3); walking distance from the loud and rowdy Hongdae nightclubs; in a quiet enough area that clubbers will not disturb your sleep. The immediate neighbourhood surrounding the hostel is quiet, classy, modern, and very chic. There is a very good Italian bistro just next door. The 4-bed mixed dorm is quite small, so don't expect luxury. Good enough for backpackers, maybe not so much for those willing to pay for more space.

Excellent location, staff, clean rooms, and facilities.

This hostel is awesome. It's very easy to go to the subway Hongik station gate 3. The facilities are full of function and the breakfast is great for me (egg and cereal). Thanks for my good memory here.

• 8th Jan 2016
  • Thailand

This hostel was one of the cleaniest and nicest hostels I've been to around the Hongdae area. Would definitely recommend it to everyone!

I really enjoyed my stay in this hostel. The room was clean and people were nice! The staffs were very approachable and helpful.

Very welcoming hostel, excellent location only a minutes walk from the station and lots of restraunts around. Can't fault this hostel, fantastic.

• 13th Dec 2015

Great location, just tiny rooms.

Pencil Guesthouse was really great! We loved how convenient the location is, since the Hongik University area is definitely our favorite neighbourhood to visit in Seoul! It was so quaint and really interesting, without being overly crowded. Great food everywhere as well! Abby at the front desk was very helpful and so kind! Not only did she recommend a great local restaurant (to which, we went twice), but also helped us book our DMZ tour when our original one was cancelled.

• 3rd Dec 2015

Very nice, clean and tidy. Awesome staff!!! Very friendly and good English! (Even they helped me with my trip to busan, also very open to do self check in and out!!)

Convenient location with nice neighborhood. Room is clean and eqiupped with all nessesary amenities. Very valued for money paid.

It'll be great if the breakfast time is set earlier, e.g. 7 or 7:30 am.

Great location, with swift connections to the airport, and close to many great bars and restaurants. The neighbourhood is very lively (bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper). The room was nice.

Yit is a nice and comfortable place, clean and secure, safety is like no other with all tech kind of stuff... It s nice and cool close to several restaurants and clubs...

I loved staying at Pencil! The staff members are really nice and went out of their way to help us out whenever we had questions. They even helped us book our hotel for our weekend trip to Busan. This guesthouse is in a perfect location. It's very close to the main part of Hongdae but in a less busy area so it's quieter at night. If I come back to Seoul, I would definitely stay here again.

• 29th Sep 2015

Very comfort, clean, id like to go back again next time

The hostel is fully equipped. They have all the things I need. There is refrigerator, tv, hairdryer, private bathroom and others that made my stay really wowonderful! The staff is helpful and friendly like Yikang and the owner is kind. I recommend this hostel to other travellers. If I go back to Korea, I would definitely take the same hostel.

• 27th Sep 2015
  • Philippines

Wonderful staff. They were super friendly and helpful when we checked in, including giving us restaurant recommendations, helping us make calls, and providing us with directions. Would go back again for sure! Security is also really good and the location was awesome. 2 minute walk to the metro which took you everywhere easily. The local area around the hostel was also great for shopping, night life and food. We had a double ensuite room, which was small, but cozy. Everything we needed was there.

Nice hostel in excellent location, The Hongdae Pencil is located in the middle of the Hongdae area. Only 2 min walk to cafes and restaurants. 3 min walk to subway. At night students are sitting outside on the grass/park talking, eating and drinking (but very civilized) - nevertheless the hostel itsself is in a quite alley. We really enjoyed our stay at Pencil and especially due to the fantastic location (stayed in a family room which was quite small) definitely recommend this place.

excellent location, good to have cleaning everyday, nice to provide hot and cold water each floor. The daily necessity e.g. toiletry gave me warm feeling.

• 16th Sep 2015
  • Hong Kong

Great location! Small room, but very clean and organized!