Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai Reviews

4532 Lehua Street, Kapaa, USA

After visiting over 25 countries and staying in more than 75 hostels is the first time that I'm gonna give a very bad review to a hostel. Rooms are the all day open, dirty, with no security as they don't even give you a key and beds are separate by 40cm away from others, feels like you are sharing beds with strangers. Workers don't wear tshirt or shoes, they are disrespectful and wont give you any help or recommendation: such as advice for tourism or to order a taxi. AVOID THIS PLACE

Hostel is okey, but it's bad that you can't even quite hang out after 10 pm!

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

staff especially the lady manager are terrible. No customer service skills and very money orientated. I've stayed in 40+ hostels in the last 7 months and sometimes the staff are useless but never rude and unhelpful like this.

I am sorry you feel this way. Sometimes in customer service we have to say no. I hope your future travels are free. Aloha

I really liked the 10pm quiet time and no smoking on the property rule. The Owners were very nice and friendly. It is a great place to stay if you are planning to go back and forth doing activities on the North and South parts of the Island.

This hostel is very nice. clean, kind staff and nice place to meet travellers. I differentially come back this hostel when I come back to Kauai!!

I had an awesome time at the honu'ea hostel in kapa'a. Staff is friendly and willing to help. I met many open-minded people at the hostel and i never got bored. :) the obly negative i can say is that you cant go vack for showering after your check out. In your check out day you have to leave the propperty till 11am, but there are ways to take a shower at the beach if you want to.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

I really liked being in this hostel, I was afraid when I booked it because of the bad reviews but I trust me when I say it's one of the best hostel i've been in hawai. I would come back for sure!!!

Mahalo! We do work hard to make sure everyone has the chance to see our amazing island no matter what their budget. We hope you return, soon! Aloha!!

I love this place, my second time here and I will for sure be back. Autumn and Bill have really made improvements even since the last time I was here. It is safe friendly and professional. They really make sure your stay is comfortable and safe and fun Oh and super clean. This place is a great!

WOW! It is lovely to see a review mirroring the comments we get face to face on a daily basis. We really appreciate the acknowledgment online about the extra care we take in providing a safe, clean, inexpensive lodging on our most beautiful Hawaiian island. Mahalo nui loa!! Come back, soon!

Really great hostel! Had so much fun there, can't wait to go back! Holly from England

• 15th Jun 2014

Incredibly friendly atmosphere, it's more like a big family! Hostel is very clean and very safe, I can highly recommend it!

volunteers are very friendly, but local staff and their friends living there are quite rude and unfriendly. it happened to me 2 times in 5 days beer disappearing out of the fridge. also other guests food or drinks have been stolen. i'm not 100% sure if staff is responsible for that or if there are some thiefs from outside the hostel.

Pros: -location was close to a lot of restaurants -easy, reliable parking -outdoor lawn area was awesome, lots of tables, plants, hammock, perfect weather -comfortable beds - good mattresses Cons: -shower in the girls dorm was a spout (just barely enough to shower in) -staff wasnt super welcoming -no AC, which was fine at night but you didn't want to be in the dorms during day time

• 27th May 2014

Mahalo for your review! Enjoy your future travels :) Aloha!

Friendly people, clean dorm and bathroom. Good wifi too. The owner lacked a little tact when enforcing the rules at times but no biggie. Very close to the main street and the beach. Don't be afraid to ask the staff for help.

The hostel was very nice, would go back, but some things i really dont understand... One point is, you are not allowed to smoke on the whole area, so u have to leave the hostel area for smoking. At 10 ocklock u have to be quite!! And i mean really quite... And u have for about 15 beds 1 bathroom... The kitchen an common area is very clean, the bathroom is average but normal if use 15 people same time... If you are friendly and play the rules u have a good time!!

Mahalo for your great review! We do sell only 8 beds of our dorm room now. Though we have more beds in the dorm, we do not sell them unless one large group takes the whole room. Thank you for pointing out how excellent our quiet hours are. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again, Aloha!

The hostel had some excellent volunteers, working there, was clean and had comfortable beds. However when we arrived we were charged an extra "tax" that was not accounted for by hostelworld. It cost $20 to store luggage on the premises. After collecting our luggage and paying for a shower we were kicked off the property. We have stayed in hostels around the world and this was below average value. This hostel could be way more successful by removing hidden costs and treating their guests better.

Thank you for the compliments. However, were you expecting to stay in Kauai for free? We are the cheapest place to stay on the island. Yes, we have taxes. Yes, we have lockers for rent. $20 for up to a week. Yes, we have an unregistered guest policy. We have NO HIDDEN FEES. Are these things unreasonable? Just because we reminded you of our unregistered guest policy, 2hrs after ONE of you took a shower? This says more about you than us. You didn't even stay here the night before. Really?