Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai Reviews

4532 Lehua Street, Kapaa, USA

I wasn't here for long, but what I saw was a little odd. There are no keys on the outside-facing room doors, and the fence around the property is always open. Why? Also, quiet hours begin at 10PM, which is fine, but the hostel owners basically want you to go to bed since they close off the common area. I stayed up with one person one night, but everyone else skipped town and simply went to bed because there are no other well-lit gathering areas. At least the location is good! But no Wifi sucks!

We most certainly DO HAVE WIFI. We are island style. If you are coming from a large city, I can see why you would think this to be a 'little odd'. However, we are a small, friendly, safe location with an island vibe. Relaxed. We have an island wide 10pm noise ordinance. Many of our guests are getting up with the sun for hikes and surf. You may go across the street to the beach or there is a bar within walking distance for people who would like to party till 2am. (they have a noise permit) Aloha!

I don't like the staff at all, no help, quite impolite and some of them take things from the customer refrigerator.

I am quite surprised by this review as I spoke with you several times late at night when you returned, you mentioned nothing about having any issues. We saw very little of you and even extended your stay with us. Our volunteer staff also uses the "customer" refrigerators (we have three). We hope you enjoy your future travels. Aloha!

Unfortunately, I was not very impressed with this place. I really got a shady feeling from the staff. Which is really a shame because they seemed nice. But, food went missing, helpfulness and tips about what to do around Kauai were either very biased or nonexistent. I just did not feel at all like they cared about the guest's experience. They were more focused on making a buck. While there, I met other great travelers that became good friends. These people felt the same way I did.

This is a confusing review. You originally booked 2 nights with us. Then extended 3 more times. We DO NOT have any other ways of making a 'buck'. We sell our beds, that is all.We have free wifi/snorkel gear/kayaks/book exchange/towels/hot showers/full kitchen.We have volunteer staff that do the best they can. We absolutely care,that is why we run a HOSTEL. Cheap accommodations on an otherwise extremely expensive island. Mahalo for saying how nice our staff is, as I agree, they are very nice.

After visiting over 25 countries and staying in more than 75 hostels is the first time that I'm gonna give a very bad review to a hostel. Rooms are the all day open, dirty, with no security as they don't even give you a key and beds are separate by 40cm away from others, feels like you are sharing beds with strangers. Workers don't wear tshirt or shoes, they are disrespectful and wont give you any help or recommendation: such as advice for tourism or to order a taxi. AVOID THIS PLACE

Mahalo for your comments. We are in the country, not a big city, so security is really not an issue. We have many beds to choose from in our 3 dormitories. Volunteer staff are not required to wear shirts and shoes are optional. Our volunteer staff is changing quite often and we have a new friendlier staff. Our office may not have been open during the time you wanted to 'order' a taxi. We have pay phones located outside and free Wifi for internet calls. We do the best we can, island style. Aloha!

Hostel is okey, but it's bad that you can't even quite hang out after 10 pm!

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

staff especially the lady manager are terrible. No customer service skills and very money orientated. I've stayed in 40+ hostels in the last 7 months and sometimes the staff are useless but never rude and unhelpful like this.

I am sorry you feel this way. Sometimes in customer service we have to say no. I hope your future travels are free. Aloha

I really liked the 10pm quiet time and no smoking on the property rule. The Owners were very nice and friendly. It is a great place to stay if you are planning to go back and forth doing activities on the North and South parts of the Island.

This hostel is very nice. clean, kind staff and nice place to meet travellers. I differentially come back this hostel when I come back to Kauai!!

I had an awesome time at the honu'ea hostel in kapa'a. Staff is friendly and willing to help. I met many open-minded people at the hostel and i never got bored. :) the obly negative i can say is that you cant go vack for showering after your check out. In your check out day you have to leave the propperty till 11am, but there are ways to take a shower at the beach if you want to.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

I really liked being in this hostel, I was afraid when I booked it because of the bad reviews but I trust me when I say it's one of the best hostel i've been in hawai. I would come back for sure!!!

Mahalo! We do work hard to make sure everyone has the chance to see our amazing island no matter what their budget. We hope you return, soon! Aloha!!

I love this place, my second time here and I will for sure be back. Autumn and Bill have really made improvements even since the last time I was here. It is safe friendly and professional. They really make sure your stay is comfortable and safe and fun Oh and super clean. This place is a great!

WOW! It is lovely to see a review mirroring the comments we get face to face on a daily basis. We really appreciate the acknowledgment online about the extra care we take in providing a safe, clean, inexpensive lodging on our most beautiful Hawaiian island. Mahalo nui loa!! Come back, soon!

Really great hostel! Had so much fun there, can't wait to go back! Holly from England

• 15th Jun 2014

Incredibly friendly atmosphere, it's more like a big family! Hostel is very clean and very safe, I can highly recommend it!

volunteers are very friendly, but local staff and their friends living there are quite rude and unfriendly. it happened to me 2 times in 5 days beer disappearing out of the fridge. also other guests food or drinks have been stolen. i'm not 100% sure if staff is responsible for that or if there are some thiefs from outside the hostel.

Pros: -location was close to a lot of restaurants -easy, reliable parking -outdoor lawn area was awesome, lots of tables, plants, hammock, perfect weather -comfortable beds - good mattresses Cons: -shower in the girls dorm was a spout (just barely enough to shower in) -staff wasnt super welcoming -no AC, which was fine at night but you didn't want to be in the dorms during day time

• 27th May 2014

Mahalo for your review! Enjoy your future travels :) Aloha!