Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai Reviews

4532 Lehua Street, Kapaa, USA

Best thing about this hostel is the quiet hours from 10P to 8A. A few of us were sitting in the public picnic table area and were shooed off to bed at 10PM. Much appreciated! Reasonable beds (some old, some new with plastic) Shortage of bathrooms could be lived with cuz of main house bathroom (often free). Free coffee good, gotta take shoes off before entering kitchen, no blinds/curtains on the room windows, no door locks, mixed dorms, NO microwave (really?). And cans of free bug spray!

Toilet didn't flush properly. No locks on room doors at all, so no keys are given. Kitchen very small for 30people plus staff. Towels $3 to rent! Staff quite rude and non-available. Strangely there is always a sign on the closed window stating 'NO AVAILABILITY' and telling walk-ins to find other accommodation, when there were many spare beds in multiple rooms. I felt quite uncomfortable. It seems 'clicky' and too cool at times, and I'm quite an open person.

• 31st Mar 2014

Mahalo for your comments. It is definitely not our intention to make you feel uncomfortable. It is our intention to give you a safe, cheap, and useful space. We have free lockers for all beds and free WIFI. We are a very small island with a very small population so safety really is a non-issue. Our staff is always available, as they all live here on the property. We do not make them sit in a hot office all day. There is a sign with a call button and they come running for all questions. Aloha.

Excellent Hostel with a great location. Close to everything shops, busline and everything you pretty much need. The store is like 20 - 25 minutes or less walking distance. I'm a Native Hawaiian who stayed here and remember when you go to Hawaii to respect the Native Hawaiian culture and traditions. This place was awesome, with hot showers and a decent bed.

This hostel are absolutely fantastic! The atmosphere and the staffs are so friendly and personal.

• 4th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Awesome location in the very centrally located town of Kapa'a. As people mentioned before, there could be more bathrooms but the bathroom in the main house is usually available if you need to hop in real quick. The kitchen is spacious and great for self-catering and the coffee in the morning was a welcome perk. Overall, a very good value for the money especially because the rest of the island is not cheap.

This hostel is a great value, especially considering how expensive lodging is on Kauai. The staff was super friendly. It is walking distance to the beach, a beautiful running and bike path, some stores and the awesome bakery/coffeeshop Java Kai. A great place!

• 18th Feb 2014

This hostel was fantastic. The people there are friendly, helpful, silly... pretty much everything you'd want from fellow hostelmates. Kapa'a is a great town and everything is within a couple minutes walk from this place. They have a few strict rules (like no food in the dorm areas), but it's the rules that keep the place running well and cleanly and not get destroyed by us hippy folk ;) I definitely plan on returning.

This place is not clean and have only one bathroom for twelve people (10 from shared room and 2 from private). The staff told me with 5 nights it was possible they drop me at the airport for free, but after I used the service and they let in the airport I needed to pay 25 dollars. So becarfull. Double check with the staff in this place.

I was grateful to have a place to come in out of the rain on Kauai! The promised ride from the airport was a little iffy, but when I finally arrived, the staff registered and introduced me to the facility, took me to the dorm with clean sheets in hand. That's all there was to it. I had a restful night's sleep among considerate dorm mates and was gone before most of them got up. Thanks so much.

• 13th Feb 2014

I had a great stay here, very chilled atmosphere, freindly staff & guests. There are not enough bathrooms (toilets) for the number of guests. No breakfast provided but coffee is. Plenty of places to eat local

Great place for the price. Staff was friendly and helpful and really good with enforcing quiet hours.

• 20th Jan 2014

I have juat bad things to say about it. I had the reservation for this hostel and just after I flew in the island I got an email saying my reservation was canceled because my credit card was declined, which it was weird since I paid 10% at the time of the reservation (a month before) and we were supposed to pay the rest at the time of the check in. I called and they did not answer! I went to the place and they did not answer the door. They also did not replied the email. NOT RECOMMEND the hostel

• 14th Jan 2014

This reservation did not comply with the hostel check in policy. They did not show up before closing. We tried to charge the no show fee and that is why they received the email about the card being declined. We have office hours 11am-9pm and DO NOT have a 24hr check in desk. If your flight arrives later than 9pm, please DO NOT book here. Book your first night with a hotel and arrive with us the following day when check in begins at 1pm.

Nice location; it would be great if they had more bathrooms.one for a dorm with 10 beds isn't enough.

Mahalo for your great rating! We have extra bathroom downstairs in the kitchen area. There are a total of 6 bathrooms on the property. We also try not to sell out the women's dorm, just for that reason. (even though common courtesy suggests not using more than 10 minutes for bathroom time) Sometimes I do not have the heart to turn a poor girl away looking for a bed:( Aloha and we hope your future travels are good :)

Hostel staff is really nice and makes travelers feel at home at once. The hostel is located just a few minutes walking distance from the beach and you can even get snorkeling gear and kayaks for free. Showers could be a bit more clean (new curtains etc.) but that does not stop anyone from having a real pleasurable experience.

This is the hostel to live at in Kapaa. Nice and helpful staff, big lockers in the room if you have a padlock and a great kitchen!

Mahalo! We hope to see you again, soon!

Nice place with a good location.

A nice location with good atmosphere.

Although I gave this hostel a descent rating, because it was well kept up. The major turn off for me was getting bed bugs! The woman who was in charge tried to help me out by giving me a new bed to stay in, but what I found from doing research, is that if you get bed bugs, going to a different bed right away will spreed them to the next bed. Also specially designed covers for mattresses and pillow cases can keep out the bed bugs, along with making sure all bedding is always cleaned!

• 23rd Dec 2013

What an AMAZING place! So much Ohana warmth and Aloha hospitality! I was lucky enough to be there for Christmas and enjoy Autumn's spectacular Christmas Lunch! Thank you to Autumn and all her terrific staff, you made my world a brighter place! I will definitely be back!!

The overall atmosphere of the hostel in naturally relaxed and security isn't really necessary. I was disappointed that my room of about 10 people was sharing one bathroom. Made for some frustrating moments in the morning as we all waited for people to finish their showers. Some sort of organized tours would also be very nice, as it's hard to get around the island without a car. Also laundry service would be nice.

Mahalo for your comments. We do not usually book more that 7 girls in the 10 bed dorm, just for that reason. We also have an extra bathroom downstairs. We have a total of 6 bathrooms on the property. I am sorry that your 1 night you spent with us you were not more well informed about the extra bathrooms. The island has a very good bus service for people willing to travel that way. Laundry is available just a block away at the 24 hour Kapaa Laundry. Hope your future travels are better for you:)