Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

I was impressed, no fuss no frills but convenient friendly and comfortable. Making ones own breakfast is a welcome additional facility. Just whats needed simple and inexpensive.

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Austria

I've stayed here several times, and I will again. It's not the spiffiest place in the world, or the cleanest, or the quietest. If you're looking for a nice quiet comfortable place to stay look elswhere. If you want value for money, great location and friendly staff then this is your place. Perfect locatation if you are seeing a show at the Brixton Academy which is just a ten minute walk away!

While I was in the kitchen getting a drink I put my coat down over a seat which contained my £17 Sony earphones (red buds, black wire), when I put my coat back on and checked the pockets, I discovered the pouch which contained my earphones was empty and was in another pocket to which I had left them! What kind of a low life steals a mans earphones!? There was another guy about dressed in black and looked emo, playing music on his phone, he said he was Czech, I hope they get an ear infection !!!

• 28th Nov 2014

It's quite different as far as other hostels go. It feels more like a shared house. Great location next to sainsburys. Great common room and professional fitted kitchen. And choice of balconies! Loads of cool people around as well except for this weird American dude Drew kept trying to hug me and talk about his feelings all the time sitting right next to me...and then sing songs by people that killed themselves and start crying randomly :) other than that all was perfect! :D

• 21st Nov 2014

Very noisy at night. The kitchen was super gross with piles of dishes soaking in dirty water, food leftovers and trash on tables, raw meat (!!) left outside. Looked a bit dodgy, and even though the house rules repeatedly forbade drug use, I could clearly smell weed.

• 10th Nov 2014
  • Hungary

Good safe location, right opposite Sainsbury's and fairly close to O2 Academy Brixton. The hostel itself isn't great. The rooms are messy and dirty, the floor wasn't clean and there were packets of half eaten food under my bed, and half empty bottles of alcohol along the windowsill which looked like they could've been there a while. The hostel is above a bar/club which is noisy at night and they don't even let you in for free, as a hostel guest you shouldn't have to pay entry to the bar below!

Rooms were too small and quite dirty, same for bathrooms (in our floor there were only 3 showers with mould and only one toilet for the entire floor!!). Respect to the kitchen, the oven was broken and people never cleaned the dishes.

• 31st Oct 2014
  • Spain

I've been in several hostels in London and always went back to Hootananny. I strongly recommend this hostel for large stays; if only a couple of days you won't enjoy enough. For longer, you will meet nice people and will deep on the hostel's spirit ;-) Note also that the bunk beds are double (and not the triple of many English hostels), the kitchen is big (danger of missing food on the fridges), etc.

I'm glad there was free breakfast. Unfortunately, there was no laundry facilities available and the music from the pub below was really loud. Other than that, it was good.

The location was awesome, and the facilities were decent, but the staff didn't require hostelers to follow rules. Room where I stayed was a complete mess. One guest thought it was okay to leave all of his clothes out everywhere, and staff did nothing to dissuade this behavior. Furthermore, no drug use policy was laughable. Folks got high each night on premises and staff said nothing. If staff actually monitored these things it could be a nice place to stay. But, without monitoring I felt uneasy.

• 26th Oct 2014

Hootananny is a major bummer. Noisy, smelly, bad beds.

• 18th Oct 2014

Great hostel, great staff, great bar below the hostel. All the people here are really cool when you get to know them. Definitely improved my London experience

Too much noise, you would mention on the web site that you make party every night and you put on the music so loud until 3a.m. And it would be Nice to find a wardrobe or something to put in our clothes.

friendly staff. had no problems at all. good location for plan b or Brixton academy.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Poland

I couldnt sleep bar downstairs play loud music until midnight. Very unkempt place i couldnt have a shower the water was either boiling or freezing. I booked place last minute how can people stay at such a palce. I would never put my dog there to sleep. Horrible horrible place. I couldnt even get out the foolowing morning and no one to tell me where to go. Never again

Overall it was ok for a night, however the hostel is situated just above a bar that plays very loud music and is clearly hearable. Staff seemed overwhelmed with two people checking in at the same time, but was better on the next day! Kitchen was a mess from midday on, rest of the facilities was alright! In case you're staying in London for longer and don't mind paying a few bucks more I'd recommend looking for another hostel.

Unhelpful staff who are rarely around, hard to know who was actually working. There's a lot of permanent residents here so it was hard to interact with them.

One of the most welcoming places we stayed at. Thomas was a great help.

This is the second time that I stayed at the hootanny and I enjoyed my stay again this time. Its a short walk from brixton tube station and a chilled place to hang out at and nice clean dorm .free tea,coffee and toast in the morning is nice too. I will be back. thanks again martin from cambridge

• 6th Sep 2014

Maybe it was just us, but we arrived to the world's loudest snorer in our room, and my bed had springs poking everywhere for the most uncomfortable nights sleep. As for the kitchen, it was pretty gross, very dirty and there was a pot of pasta that had been sitting on the bench for a while. Bathrooms were basic and again, not very clean. The people staying there were also pretty short and unfriendly. More of a halfway house than a hostel. They did have Wi-Fi and a sick pub underneath though!

• 4th Sep 2014