7.5
Very Good 1,203 Total Reviews
7.5
Very Good 1,203 Total Reviews
Hootananny Hostel Located at 95 Effra Road, Brixton, London.
England
London SW2 1DF 95 Effra Road, Brixton
75% 1203
51.4553172 -0.1135969
    Rooms available

• Australia, Female, 25-30
25th Nov 2016

This place is on top of a fantastic live music & comedy venue. But if late nights aren't you're thing & you're a light sleeper, this hostel may not be right for you due to the noise. The staff were also really nice and friendly and we even got a free dinner on Friday nights which was amazing! Only problem I really had was that there was an old man in my dorm who I'm pretty sure hadn't showered in weeks as he smelt out the whole room, it was pretty disgusting!!

• England, Male, 31-40
25th Nov 2016
5.4

If you don't mind roughing it then this Hostel is ok. However my bed was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep in it and ended up sleeping my entire stay (3 nights) on the lounge sofa. Also the bunk beds are unstable and creek every time you move. Prior to staying at Hootananny I was staying Waterloo Hostel for 6 weeks and for the little extra this is much much better.

• England, Male, 31-40
15th Oct 2016
6.0

Get what you pay for. £20 on a Saturday night. Can't complain

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, hope you get to come back to stay again someday. Regards, Cameron

• Australia, Female, 18-24
30th Jul 2016
5.1

I didn't particularly love my stay at Hootananny, the staff were nice however the hostel was not very clean my bed had already been slept in and was dirty, the lockers were only big enough to store a handbag, I was unable to charge my phone or anything in my room so I used the common room when my phone died and I was asked by another hosteler to use it and he got extremely angry when I told him i needed it as my phone was dead. The hostel is not for travellers very much for workers in the area.

22nd Jul 2016

Located a short walk from Brixton, this is a lively hostel which is well-equipped. They have a comfortable common area and bar downstairs where you can get a discount. Free breakfast consisting cereal, toast with a variety of spreads and tea/coffee is very nice. The bathrooms and other areas were kept clean. Only downside is major: sleep quality is poor. Noise and light pollution will keep you awake at night and in the morning (respectively). Also, one of the toilets was missing a toilet seat.

Hey there - thanks so much for taking the time to review us. So glad you had a great stay, please come see us again. Happy travels! :)

• Canada, Female, 18-24
5th Jul 2016
6.3

The rooms in thos hostel were good, but the falicities could have been better. There was no room to change before or after the shower and the kitchen was small and often dirty. But the staff was very polite and friendly. It was situated at 10 min from Brixon underground station, wich is not bad, but it was a bit out of the touristic region.

• Germany, Female, 25-30
2nd Jul 2016

Staff was nice & friendly, gave me a quick tour around the place, and stored some valuables in the office for me safely. Definitely a fun vibe for weekends or if you are looking for some live music and party. Nice crowd staying there and people were considerate and friendly with each other. Mattresses could have been a wee bit more comfy and showers a little bigger and cleaner, but overall good stay!

28th Jun 2016
6.3

One of the more well run hostels I've encountered, but it seemed to cater more to transient workers rather than to young travelers.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
25th Jun 2016

Was in a good location,close to different modes of public transport depending on where you were going. Staff seemed friendly and helpful and I never really had trouble sleeping, despite the rooms being located above a bar

• Spain, Male, 31-40
14th Jun 2016
7.1

The TV area was nice. The shower facilities were very good. The staff was friendly. The room clean and nice, not like other hostels with paint coming out from the walls. I could not sleep at night or left alone during the day. There was a Portuguese guy swearing all the time, apparently he lives there. He addressed me several times, but far from being friendly I felt threatened, kind of demanding to chat. Even in the kitchen I could not have lunch in peace. I would think if I return.

Hey there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I know exactly who you are talking about and I'm happy to say he is no longer allowed to stay here, he was just a temporary guest but not anymore thankfully! Hope to see you again sometime. Happy travels!