Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

There is a man named Ricky from Ireland staying there who was keeping people up all night, talking loudly to people at 5am when they try to sleep. He tried to pressure me and another woman to snort coke with him and his delinquent friends. Funny that, as I saw a sign stating "quiet at 11" and "zero tolerance"? Also the living room is disgusting, battered settees covered in crumbs, everything stinks of old food, tobacco and whatever drug that man has taken. Get your act together.

• 14th Apr 2014

The Hootananny is a great place to make new friends, that can become a family away from home. Just 2 suggestions: double glazed windows are a must as some are broken & this will reduce noise issues. When first checking in there needs to be signage saying there is a hostel & a note of how to check in would help. The bar staff need training-they are bad! The kitchen/lounge facilities are great (except broken oven) & the bar below has excellent entertainment. This is my favorite hostel in london xx

The mattress was poor but I stayed during the week and it was quite quiet. The only thing that was clean was the kitchen. Bathrooms were a pain to get to and there were no sinks in the closest toilets to the rooms. It was a nice atmosphere but I won't be staying here again.

It was an ok hostel but more of a place to go if you're in a group looking to go out at the weekend. Everyone staying there is practically living there trying to find work so it's a bit awkward if you're not doing the same. However, people were friendly enough and the staff were helpful. One minor point is that in the girls bathroom there's no frosted glass on the window or even a blind so you have to get changed in full view of apartments and houses next door, definitely needs more privacy.

Hi there, Thanks for your comment. In the girl's bathroom, we do in fact have a kind of film that covers the surface of the window, which allows those inside to see out while blocking the view from outside. Thanks for your stay.

I had a very good time, and for one night it was perfect, low value. Would definitely stay again if visiting london again.

• 28th Feb 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Nice chilled hostel, bathroom could be a bit cleaner but we're not snobby :)

• 11th Feb 2014

If the sheets and duvet can be more clean, that would be perfect! And if there is a door lock of the female bathroom, that would be excellent!

• 1st Jan 2014
  • China

You've got pretty much all you need here and the vibe is real chill and friendly. Some may consider it a bit out of the way since it's at the end of the line in Brixton but I liked having my home base in a different less touristy area! Heaps of people here weren't travellers but long-term people living there but was still a fun and friendly crowd. Biggest downfall is the live music from the bar downstairs so it's really loud most of the time through the night.

The vibe here is really great, nice and chill with a great music venue right downstairs. The rooms are clean enough and not too crowded, although the bathrooms were really a bit gross.

I had an amazing time at the Hookananny, and it was made all the more special being part of the BookJam, which was held the quirky venue downstairs. The hostel was clean but a little noisy during the night.

• 2nd Dec 2013
  • Wales

There was a great gypsy folk gig on downstairs and I loved the fact that I needed a key and 3 different codes to get into my dorm from the street. The NZ/ French guy at reception was nice and was cooking for everyone. The place is a hoot and perfect if you are going to O2 academy. Common room on Sat afternoon did have the loudest Australians in history, who talked all over Dirty Harry, then turned over to a bad music channel just as Clint was about to deliver the classic line. Punks.

good location and staff will be going there again

Fantastic place to stay would recommend anyone to this hostel if they were staying in London. Great atmosphere and even better location in the city. All the staff were very informative, brilliant customer service. No problems with our stay here if only it was for an extra couple of nights. Will hopefully be visiting again!!

• 16th Nov 2013

Now keep in mind that I'm a partier-so this place was awesome-the best pub scene in London to me- so this supersedes- all for me- but as far as facilities and all it sucks-one of the worst showers I ever took in my life-ironically it had the best lounge room I ever been in because it felt really homey- I just loved the vibe-and I definitely i would and can't Waite to go back- Briton baby -loads of eateries for cheap-even though facilities suck-I just love that place has a real special ambience

All in all nice hostel, though I think they don't really care about thos age restrictions. There was a man in our room who was about 75.. Location ist great, cool bars and pubs around!

• 24th Oct 2013