Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

Overall it was ok for a night, however the hostel is situated just above a bar that plays very loud music and is clearly hearable. Staff seemed overwhelmed with two people checking in at the same time, but was better on the next day! Kitchen was a mess from midday on, rest of the facilities was alright! In case you're staying in London for longer and don't mind paying a few bucks more I'd recommend looking for another hostel.

Unhelpful staff who are rarely around, hard to know who was actually working. There's a lot of permanent residents here so it was hard to interact with them.

One of the most welcoming places we stayed at. Thomas was a great help.

This is the second time that I stayed at the hootanny and I enjoyed my stay again this time. Its a short walk from brixton tube station and a chilled place to hang out at and nice clean dorm .free tea,coffee and toast in the morning is nice too. I will be back. thanks again martin from cambridge

• 6th Sep 2014

Maybe it was just us, but we arrived to the world's loudest snorer in our room, and my bed had springs poking everywhere for the most uncomfortable nights sleep. As for the kitchen, it was pretty gross, very dirty and there was a pot of pasta that had been sitting on the bench for a while. Bathrooms were basic and again, not very clean. The people staying there were also pretty short and unfriendly. More of a halfway house than a hostel. They did have Wi-Fi and a sick pub underneath though!

• 4th Sep 2014

The location is great; just a few minutes walk into Brixton centre. It's above a bustling pub so don't expect a peaceful stay. The hostel is extremely secure and security is taken very seriously. Codes, codes and more codes! The bed sheets provided are pretty ropey, as are the bathrooms. But it's a hostel, not the Ritz. Oh, and don't converse with the beardy guy called Neil. He's a creepy personification of the Oedipus complex and will bombard hostellers with his insipid guitar playing.

• 23rd Aug 2014

It's a nice place if you only are seeking a bed to sleep. The free breakfast is nice, but the cleanliness of the showers, toilets and kitchen (from noon) were questionable.

Great as always but sadly had to leave day early

• 28th Jul 2014

Nice hostel, very easy to find. The only problem is the noise.

• 18th Jul 2014

I actually loved this place! I haven't stayed an many hostels so I don't really have a basis for comparison. But I found the place and the people and the venue downstairs totally charming. Especially for folks who are looking for an active nightlife. Looking forward to coming back and maybe performing one day.

• 17th Jul 2014

Friendly place to stay relaxed bed comfy room a bit cramped but was sharing with some nice girls from around the world. Kitchen was OK. shower room could do with a curtain in the window. Good cheap location to explore London as quite near tube

• 11th Jul 2014

The toilets are usually filthy and you often find males using the female toilets. The bathroom has three showers - the shower doors are painted but the bathroom has one huge clear window and there is nowhere to get changed but in the bathroom or the toilet because the showers are too small to dry and dress in. You can often smell weed drifting through the windows. The music at night is deafening. The bed covers are washed but the blankets and pillows are not (they are yellow with old sweat).

The ratings I read about this hostel before I came must have been about the bar/music venue located beneath hootananny. Which became very annoying when music was blasting until 3 am every night.... My friend and I were not comfortable with the location. Brixton is not the place to be walking around at night.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Though the bartender was really nice, I didn't know who was part of the staff and who wasn't. Also there were a lot of people actually living in the hostel and it wasn't clean. I never went to a hostel so I didn't have anything to compare with, but now I know this is not a good hostel. It is more like a café, also there were parties going on down at the café so it was impossible to sleep. If you don't care about luxury and you are open-minded, then this it's a fine hostel. It was for me.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Spent a week there. Noisy dorm with worn linen and weird awful nasty creepy roommates who might perhaps live there for good. Only one toilet which is absolutely inadequate. Hot shower which could almost burn your skin. Few slices of bread is not what I expected for an included breakfast and nobody is gonna clean up a bit after use. One wouldn't find any proper way to get there unless sneaking in passing through those garbage carts. Anything good? Reasonable price for longer stay.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

after searching for a hostel to stay at in london I thought the hootenanny seemed like an interesting place. there is a live music venue/pub downstairs, but it did not prevent my rest at all, and I was able to sleep in quite easily. a cleaning lady comes every morning, cleaning and tidying all the common spaces. friendly and helpful staff answered many questions I had, and were a pleasure to talk with in the large kitchen which is available to everyone. I'll definitely be coming back!

• 25th Jun 2014

Most of the people at this hostel live there. The beds are so squeaky that moving a toe will cause people to wake up. It's also above a bar, and on the weekends the bass and music pumps through the beds until 3am. The common room is attached the a balcony, where people smoke (both weed and cigarettes) so the floor always stinks. Our room was right outside the boys bathroom and kitchen, where the doors literally scream when they're being closed; I was woken up about 37 times a night.

AS ALWAYS THIS IS A GOOD HOSTEL. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY?

This place is a bargain, and easy to get to Central London (or anywhere) via the nearby Victoria line. The place is a little worn, and at times it seems a lot of the guests are actually people living there for extended periods of time, but I have a strange affection for this place after using it twice in two years. One issue is the staff hours are not great so early morning or late night arrivals can be tricky. Brixton Market neaby is great and there is a full grocery store across the street.

The security is not good and they tell us when we arrive in the hostel, this is a good point, but in the same time, we know that is not a safe place and we need to be careful all the time, I think the hostel needs to think in something to improve this point.Other problem was the noise during the night, there is a pub under the hostel. The problem is, we shouldnt make noise after 11h PM, is the rules of the hostel, but the own hostel made a lot of noise in the night, horrible to sleep.