7.9
Very Good 1,180 Total Reviews
7.9
Very Good 1,180 Total Reviews
Hootananny Hostel Located at 95 Effra Road, Brixton, London.
England
London SW2 1DF 95 Effra Road, Brixton
79% 1180
51.4553172 -0.1135969
    Rooms available

• Germany, Female, 25-30
2nd Jul 2016

Staff was nice & friendly, gave me a quick tour around the place, and stored some valuables in the office for me safely. Definitely a fun vibe for weekends or if you are looking for some live music and party. Nice crowd staying there and people were considerate and friendly with each other. Mattresses could have been a wee bit more comfy and showers a little bigger and cleaner, but overall good stay!

28th Jun 2016
6.3

One of the more well run hostels I've encountered, but it seemed to cater more to transient workers rather than to young travelers.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
25th Jun 2016

Was in a good location,close to different modes of public transport depending on where you were going. Staff seemed friendly and helpful and I never really had trouble sleeping, despite the rooms being located above a bar

• Spain, Male, 31-40
14th Jun 2016
7.1

The TV area was nice. The shower facilities were very good. The staff was friendly. The room clean and nice, not like other hostels with paint coming out from the walls. I could not sleep at night or left alone during the day. There was a Portuguese guy swearing all the time, apparently he lives there. He addressed me several times, but far from being friendly I felt threatened, kind of demanding to chat. Even in the kitchen I could not have lunch in peace. I would think if I return.

Hey there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I know exactly who you are talking about and I'm happy to say he is no longer allowed to stay here, he was just a temporary guest but not anymore thankfully! Hope to see you again sometime. Happy travels!

• Brazil, Female, 25-30
10th Jun 2016
5.1

What I found there was totally different. First of all, the real picture of this hostel is the second, an old purple building. 2nd, the rooms are a big mess and the bed clothes seem dirty. There is a pub in this hostel. Ok, this couldn't be a problem. The problem is that hostel and pub are the same thing! For example, to into and out of the hostel, you have to pass for a door in the back of the pub and this is dirty with a terrible smell. I didn't' like.

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to give us a review, sorry you weren't happy with the location, we try to clearly state on the description that the hostel is above a pub and live music venue, this is something we like about our hostel! We try to keep our beds and rooms in good, clean condition so I'm sorry you weren't happy with the situation. Happy travels.

3rd Jun 2016
6.6

Edificio un poco descuidado y ruido hasta las 3 am aproximadamente por el bar.

• England, Female, 41+
2nd Jun 2016

I enjoyed my short stay at the Hootananny Brixton and would like to come and stay again Thanks

• England, All Male Group, 25-30
27th May 2016

Basically, don't go to the Hootananny if you can't accept that the live music and revelry will be going on into the wee hours of the night. I'm quite a heavy sleeper, so it wasn't a problem for me and some of the other guys had headphones. Some of the rooms don't have enough sockets, so if you need to charge your devices, make sure you have a spare battery or a way to charge multiple devices from a socket.

Hey there, thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us a review! I wanted to let you know we've heard some of the comments about the wall sockets and we've decided this needs to change so we're increasing the number of sockets in each room. If you come back, hopefully you'll find plenty of them this time. Happy travels :)

• Australia, Female, 25-30
21st May 2016

I didn't stay here but the app insists I have to write a review. I booked one night and then cancelled; the staff was very helpful on the phone.

7th May 2016

Nice hostel, tough to sleep on weekends though, bar downstairs playing music til 2:30