Hootananny Hostel

• cturnbull2014
  • USA, Male, 18-24
13th Jul 2017
7.7

GOOD: The hostel was everything I expected, people to mingle with, great location, etc. It was clean, and the staff was so helpful. They answered all of my questions. BAD: The hostel is located above a bar which is great because it was a fast way to get some food or a drink. But the staff/security was awful. The lady gave me incorrect change and wouldn't fix her mistake and the security was very aggressive and one even SHOVED me in the back as I was going inside to move me along too aggressive.

13th Jul 2017
7.4

I enjoyed my stay here. Nothing fancy; it gets the job done. Free breakfast and coffee always wins me over. Only 2 things about it that aren't so great are: 1. Location is difficult if you want to get into central London 2. Loud music from the pub below plays every night until 3am-ish.

Hello Caleb, good to hear that our free breakfast and coffee go to you here! We find the transport to the city easy from Hootananny. We have tube(metro) going directly to Victoria station in walking distance(10 minutes) and non-stop buses going all night with bus stops minute away of the hostel.

• New Zealand, Male, 25-30
21st Jun 2017

Good chill place. Everything quite run down though and the curtains definitely need looking at in one of the rooms.

You were right Nathan, we did not realize that one of the curtains needs to be fixed until you wrote us about it, thanks for that and this review.

• Belgium, Female, 18-24
16th Jun 2017

Really great hostel, I'll definitely come back whenever I'm back in London. The staff is young and very nice, the breakfast is very simple (cereals, bread, ...) but just enough and friday evening we have a free dinner that the staff makes and you can help (I help making the vegetarian version). There's a music venue just downstairs which can cause some noise, I don't know how much cause I went to the venue and went sleeping after it was over. We have discount in the bar. Would recommend.

Dear Camille, it was a pleasure to cook and compete with you, who cooks better on Friday. We know the music can be noisy in the rooms, but I guess it was pretty quiet when you went to sleep during the sunrise. You were the great guest, hope to see you here again :)

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
3rd Jun 2017
7.7

Be aware you are above a pub . For me the noise doesn't bother me. Showers were clean . But we're drop heads and had know space to dry your self . You basically end up awkwardly drying your self in front of people washing your hand . Check out is no earlier than 9 am when your want to get out and sight see it isn't very practical. Others then them 2 minors it was absolutely fine .

• England, Male, 18-24
26th May 2017
4.9

Showers are broken and have dirty floors, the toilets are right next to it, the aemre not separate, just horrible facilities not worth the price.

• Austria, Female, 25-30
6th May 2017
4.9

The staff was friendly ant the place easy to reach by victorian line. In the base is a pub and a dance floor, so we were happy to stay in the second floor and still it was very loud. The bathroom was very, very dirty as well as the floors. Urine puddle in the back yard in front of the entrance door. The living room was very uncomfortable, dark, smelled like old socks and cigarettes. The blankets were clean but we had the feeling that the beds are not very stable. No towels, no breakfast.

Hello Lisa, sorry to hear about you found the hostel and entrance dirty. It can be busy and lively here on the saturday nights and it is not so easy to keep the hostel clean, if we still want to let people have fun. Unfortunately some people had fun in the strange way, when you were here. Trust me, we were not so happy from them as well. We hire towels in the reception and provide breakfast every morning till 11:30.

30th Apr 2017

One of the best hostel experiences of my life. I choose the Hoot to check out Brixton and to see some live music. I didn't know how amazing of a venue it was for live music. Absolutely superb. Location was great, Staff was incredible and the community was real. The facilities were pretty clean and the value was primo. Especially having access to downstairs and a 20% off bar tabs. I had an amazing time and am already thinking about my return!

• Iceland, Female, 18-24
22nd Apr 2017

Great location only 10 mins walk from the brixton tube. Very secure and has everything you need, from lockers and free breakfast to the downstairs bar and a nice beergarden-ish port. Atmosphere is friendly and staff is helpful. We enjoyed our stay very much and look forward to coming back again!

We are happy you had good time with us. It is nice to see you were all satisfied, thank you! We are looking forward to see you here again :)

• England, Female, 18-24
18th Mar 2017
4.3

One pro of the Hootenanny is that it is above a very lively and popular bar/club, which is great if you want a convenient place to go out. However, checking in is a very confusing experience as there is no check in point/sign to the hostel downstairs, and we only managed to get through was with the help of a friendly local, who told us we would have to go through a door behind the bar. The hostel itself is not clean, and very scruffy - our window was held together with a coat hanger and tape!

Nice to hear you liked our club, hope you had good night there. I understand it can seems to be a bit confusing, when are you looking for an entrance to the hostel on Saturday, when the beergarden can be full of people from the bar, but our bar staff is used to help new people and take them to the hostel. If you would come again when the bar is closed, you can just ring the bell and we will open doors for you. The window what was in your room is mercifully replaced as before it was just fast made repair. We hope that before the wind did not blow through the window and it was not cold for you.