Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

Nice hostel, very easy to find. The only problem is the noise.

• 18th Jul 2014

Friendly place to stay relaxed bed comfy room a bit cramped but was sharing with some nice girls from around the world. Kitchen was OK. shower room could do with a curtain in the window. Good cheap location to explore London as quite near tube

• 11th Jul 2014

The toilets are usually filthy and you often find males using the female toilets. The bathroom has three showers - the shower doors are painted but the bathroom has one huge clear window and there is nowhere to get changed but in the bathroom or the toilet because the showers are too small to dry and dress in. You can often smell weed drifting through the windows. The music at night is deafening. The bed covers are washed but the blankets and pillows are not (they are yellow with old sweat).

The ratings I read about this hostel before I came must have been about the bar/music venue located beneath hootananny. Which became very annoying when music was blasting until 3 am every night.... My friend and I were not comfortable with the location. Brixton is not the place to be walking around at night.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Though the bartender was really nice, I didn't know who was part of the staff and who wasn't. Also there were a lot of people actually living in the hostel and it wasn't clean. I never went to a hostel so I didn't have anything to compare with, but now I know this is not a good hostel. It is more like a café, also there were parties going on down at the café so it was impossible to sleep. If you don't care about luxury and you are open-minded, then this it's a fine hostel. It was for me.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Spent a week there. Noisy dorm with worn linen and weird awful nasty creepy roommates who might perhaps live there for good. Only one toilet which is absolutely inadequate. Hot shower which could almost burn your skin. Few slices of bread is not what I expected for an included breakfast and nobody is gonna clean up a bit after use. One wouldn't find any proper way to get there unless sneaking in passing through those garbage carts. Anything good? Reasonable price for longer stay.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • Hong Kong

after searching for a hostel to stay at in london I thought the hootenanny seemed like an interesting place. there is a live music venue/pub downstairs, but it did not prevent my rest at all, and I was able to sleep in quite easily. a cleaning lady comes every morning, cleaning and tidying all the common spaces. friendly and helpful staff answered many questions I had, and were a pleasure to talk with in the large kitchen which is available to everyone. I'll definitely be coming back!

• 25th Jun 2014

Most of the people at this hostel live there. The beds are so squeaky that moving a toe will cause people to wake up. It's also above a bar, and on the weekends the bass and music pumps through the beds until 3am. The common room is attached the a balcony, where people smoke (both weed and cigarettes) so the floor always stinks. Our room was right outside the boys bathroom and kitchen, where the doors literally scream when they're being closed; I was woken up about 37 times a night.

AS ALWAYS THIS IS A GOOD HOSTEL. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY?

This place is a bargain, and easy to get to Central London (or anywhere) via the nearby Victoria line. The place is a little worn, and at times it seems a lot of the guests are actually people living there for extended periods of time, but I have a strange affection for this place after using it twice in two years. One issue is the staff hours are not great so early morning or late night arrivals can be tricky. Brixton Market neaby is great and there is a full grocery store across the street.

The security is not good and they tell us when we arrive in the hostel, this is a good point, but in the same time, we know that is not a safe place and we need to be careful all the time, I think the hostel needs to think in something to improve this point.Other problem was the noise during the night, there is a pub under the hostel. The problem is, we shouldnt make noise after 11h PM, is the rules of the hostel, but the own hostel made a lot of noise in the night, horrible to sleep.

It seemed like the owners/workers were more concerned with running the bar on the ground floor, rather than the hostel above. The pillows and comforters were nasty and old, the sheets were scuzzy, and the entire layout of the building was incredibly awkward. I did not use the lounge, but I know the kitchen always seemed messy. By the way, a box of cereal is not enough to advertise as a free breakfast.

As much as it was frustrating to have all of the codes I was really glad that they had so many security measures. I felt safe. Wasn't exactly a fan of the stairs.

I was surprised about the quality of this hostel, as according to the rating it should be much better facilities. It was old, with bad smell. But the worst is that my friend's wallet was stolen in the bar downstairs of the hostel. The owner didn't seem to care, even there are camera they didn't check what happened that night and weren't helpful. I do not recommend this place.

• 9th May 2014
  • Poland

This hostel has large rooms and kitchen (you have to bring your own food for breakfast), pleasant bar. As for many hostels, don't care about the cleanliness in bathroom : the floor is quite dirty, there isn't any tray to put down your clothes. More over, it's impossible to change the water temperature in the shower ... unbelievable ! Another point : it's difficult to sleep because the bar and the street are too noisy. Finally, the location isn't good if you want to access the center of London.

We knew beforehand that it would be noisy at the weekends, but it did not prepare us for the actual noise level we experienced. Seriously; don't go there if you want to sleep at night. The music sometimes plays till 3am in the morning. BUT, the location is good and the staff was really nice and helpful.

Was clean enough to stay one night. Loud music carried on late from pub/club downstairs. More sinks needed by toilet facilities as thst put me off the place, ended up having to brush teeth with bottled water as someone was in the shower which is where the ONLY sink was.

• 2nd May 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Beds were really comfortable so me and my friend were able to get good nights sleep (ignoring the music that lasted till the early hours of the morning in the venue below). Staff were very polite and explained the systems about security etc for your stay. Only issue is that the window in the girls shower room should be frosted.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Northern Ireland

The hostel is not really clean and the showers for example are very dirty....the breakfast included was not really a breakfast....toast and milk and some cornflakes in the kitchen....

• 18th Apr 2014

It was a good value and decently clean and comfortable, but beware the music venue on the ground floor. Yes, it's great that guests get a discount at the bar, but if you plan on getting any sleep at all, best bring your earplugs or sound-cancelling headphones. The music was SO loud EVERY night that I could feel my metal-frame bunk bed vibrating to the too-high bass. If you're there to party, or if you're only there for a night or two, it'd be fine. But be aware of what you're getting into.