Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

Quite tired, very average hostel. Fine for us as we were just after a place to black out after the Rugby 7s. Some members from our group, on a completely seperate booking to mine, were unable to make it. I was asked by the hostel staff to pay for their beds, which I thought was pretty unprofessional. Take a deposit if you want to cover yourself against that risk.

• 15th May 2015

The only irritating thing is all this codes in every door! They should use smart cards, but once again is a small place, to go inside you need to use at least 3 codes! With 6 or more numbers! The pub is one of my favourites, but a bit disappointed now you have to pay £0.50 for card transactions I had spent £12.50 also security and toilet lady really annoying! Sort it out plz!

We loved staying here, cool people, interesting atmosphere.the bar and garden under the hostel is great!

The condition of this hostel is below average. It is run down, dirty and loud throughout the night. Given that it is above a bar with live music, ear plugs are a must in order to get sleep at all. The kitchen was dirty and the toilets sometimes lacked toilet paper. The showers, however, always had warm/hot water and were never crowded so that was a plus. The manager was also friendly. Overall, the only perk of this hostel was that it is close to the O2 Academy Brixton.

• 1st May 2015

Hootanannys was relaxed and fun, if you dont mind having a bit of noise at night then this place is a great time.

• 29th Apr 2015

I loved this place. The staff where very warm and welcoming. The atmosphere is great. The other hostellers are friendly and comraderie-like. Plenty of socials and amitie. Very lovely place. Would heartily recommend.

• 22nd Apr 2015

Great location. Enjoyed my stay here

• 20th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Hostel is in a good location and has live music playing in the pub underneath on the weekend. This may mean it's not the best spot to stay on the weekend as the music is very loud until the early hours of the morning (3am). Otherwise has the basic facilities you'd expect from a hostel and is conveniently across the road from a large Sainsburys.

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! Glad you had a good time with us and enjoyed the convenient location! Hope to see you again :)

Really enjoyed our stay - only thing was having the 5 different codes for access back into the hostel... I think we should be given an emergency number to call in case we lose the codes as a small piece of paper isn't very sufficient!

• 21st Feb 2015

I stay here every time I'm seeing a show at the Brixton Academy. The service is brillaint and friendly, it's cheap and cheerful and VERY CONVENINET. Love the Hoot!

the staff were very helpful and approachable

• 24th Jan 2015

I was impressed, no fuss no frills but convenient friendly and comfortable. Making ones own breakfast is a welcome additional facility. Just whats needed simple and inexpensive.

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Austria

I've stayed here several times, and I will again. It's not the spiffiest place in the world, or the cleanest, or the quietest. If you're looking for a nice quiet comfortable place to stay look elswhere. If you want value for money, great location and friendly staff then this is your place. Perfect locatation if you are seeing a show at the Brixton Academy which is just a ten minute walk away!

While I was in the kitchen getting a drink I put my coat down over a seat which contained my £17 Sony earphones (red buds, black wire), when I put my coat back on and checked the pockets, I discovered the pouch which contained my earphones was empty and was in another pocket to which I had left them! What kind of a low life steals a mans earphones!? There was another guy about dressed in black and looked emo, playing music on his phone, he said he was Czech, I hope they get an ear infection !!!

• 28th Nov 2014