7.8
Very Good 1,175 Total Reviews
7.8
Very Good 1,175 Total Reviews
Hootananny Hostel Located at 95 Effra Road, Brixton, London.
England
London SW2 1DF 95 Effra Road, Brixton
78% 1175
51.4553172 -0.1135969
    Rooms available

• Spain, Male, 31-40
14th Jun 2016
7.1

The TV area was nice. The shower facilities were very good. The staff was friendly. The room clean and nice, not like other hostels with paint coming out from the walls. I could not sleep at night or left alone during the day. There was a Portuguese guy swearing all the time, apparently he lives there. He addressed me several times, but far from being friendly I felt threatened, kind of demanding to chat. Even in the kitchen I could not have lunch in peace. I would think if I return.

Hey there, thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I know exactly who you are talking about and I'm happy to say he is no longer allowed to stay here, he was just a temporary guest but not anymore thankfully! Hope to see you again sometime. Happy travels!

• Brazil, Female, 25-30
10th Jun 2016
5.1

What I found there was totally different. First of all, the real picture of this hostel is the second, an old purple building. 2nd, the rooms are a big mess and the bed clothes seem dirty. There is a pub in this hostel. Ok, this couldn't be a problem. The problem is that hostel and pub are the same thing! For example, to into and out of the hostel, you have to pass for a door in the back of the pub and this is dirty with a terrible smell. I didn't' like.

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to give us a review, sorry you weren't happy with the location, we try to clearly state on the description that the hostel is above a pub and live music venue, this is something we like about our hostel! We try to keep our beds and rooms in good, clean condition so I'm sorry you weren't happy with the situation. Happy travels.

3rd Jun 2016
6.6

Edificio un poco descuidado y ruido hasta las 3 am aproximadamente por el bar.

• England, Female, 41+
2nd Jun 2016

I enjoyed my short stay at the Hootananny Brixton and would like to come and stay again Thanks

• England, All Male Group, 25-30
27th May 2016

Basically, don't go to the Hootananny if you can't accept that the live music and revelry will be going on into the wee hours of the night. I'm quite a heavy sleeper, so it wasn't a problem for me and some of the other guys had headphones. Some of the rooms don't have enough sockets, so if you need to charge your devices, make sure you have a spare battery or a way to charge multiple devices from a socket.

Hey there, thanks a lot for taking the time to leave us a review! I wanted to let you know we've heard some of the comments about the wall sockets and we've decided this needs to change so we're increasing the number of sockets in each room. If you come back, hopefully you'll find plenty of them this time. Happy travels :)

7th May 2016

Nice hostel, tough to sleep on weekends though, bar downstairs playing music til 2:30

• Romania, Male, 25-30
16th Apr 2016

All I need to say is you gett the best experience a hostel could offer :x

Hey - thanks so much for leaving us such a kind review. :)

• Ireland, Female, 18-24
24th Mar 2016

I chose the hoot because of its location near the Brixton o2 academy, which was indeed handy. But it was also cool to stay over a pub/music venue, which I went to with some of the other people who were staying in the hostel (some kinda long-term). There was a good atmosphere, spent a lot of time chilling in the common room with friendly people. :)

• England, Female, 25-30
5th Mar 2016
8.0

Friendly staff, excellent facilities - including kitchen and communal area with balcony. The Hootananny is an awesome music venue/ bar with a great atmosphere so it is great that the hostel is situated right above it! The hostel isn't squeaky clean, but if you're choosing this kind of accommodation you never know who you're going to be sharing a dorm with! I recommend this hostel to anyone looking for decent location (10 minute walk from Brixton amenities and the Victoria Line) at a cheap price.

Hi there - thanks so much for leaving such a kind and thorough review. I'm so glad you had a good time and please come back soon! Happy travels ^_^

• England, Female, 18-24
25th Feb 2016
6.9

I only needed the hostel for one night's sleep so I must admit I didn't exercise facilities like the showers (communal) or kitchen (also communal, naturally). The multiple door codes made me feel safe (as possible when you're bunking with strangers). It was pretty clean, kinda like a normal house, but I'll blame the kitchen mess on the more long term residents! Other hostellers were friendly and the guy on the front desk was super nice and helpful. It did the job, I'd use Hoots again for

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Glad you enjoyed your stay, please do come again soon! Happy travels