Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

people were very friendly, felt like a home, only critisism is the toliets and shower cubical are minging, so make sure you bring flip flops

• 1st Feb 2016

The hostel is old and the bathrooms and toilet smelly. I didn't want to use the kitchen much because I found it dirty. And there were no lockers where to keep you luggage.

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Mexico

For the first time I stayed at hostel and this hostel is good example that just being in hostel doesn't mean that it has to be horrible. I stayed for two days and I love it, hostelers was fine, staff was friendly and wiling to help and everything was at some point clean, only what I would appreciate is higher space between beds, I hit my head so many times when I woke up :)

• 9th Dec 2015
  • Czech Republic

Showers are not clean, the mirrors are old and look terrible, the water not really warm. The bunk beds don't look strong enough. The matresses are awful. The room was not clean at all!! The kitchen and living room are ok. No need for the keep silent after 11pm sing because the noise from the bar downstairs is too loud to sleep and lasts up to 2am. Ridiculous.

• 26th Nov 2015
  • Slovenia

Obviously the Gigs Downstairs are a Issue BUT I knew that Anyway ........then the Snoring began!! (I Hate those people)..... But I would stay again....

• 20th Nov 2015

Thanks so much for the review, glad you had a good time and please do come back! Happy travels

Welcoming staff and clean hostel. Secure entry with outdoor key and various codes for inside doors. I personally didn't feel very safe as a young girl walking through the area late at night but bring a friend and you'll be fine.

Hey there - thanks so much for the review and glad you enjoyed your stay. Happy travels!

Relaxed atmosphere, some guests might need earplugs because of pub / club noise.

• 29th Oct 2015

On arrival make sure you ring the bell at the front door, and don't be put off by the rough and ready look of the place. It's an outstanding music venue, and is perfectly located for a night on the town in brixton, or london itself. Staff are very very friendly, helpful and accommodating and for the money, it is excellent value. Will definitely be returning for gigs in the future.

• 28th Oct 2015
  • Wales

Great hostel! Basic facilities but for that price you shouldn't complain really. Very friendly and helpful staff. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that there was free dinner on Friday! I will definitely stay there again when I'm in need of low budget accomodation in that area of London.

Hey there! Thanks so much for your review, glad you like free dinner - we do too ;) Please come back anytime. Happy travels!

Toilets are pretty dirty, staff helpful though, good if u just need a bed, older crowd

Hootananny is the best hostel I've been to. And while being here, I've heard other people say the same thing. I came with the intention of staying for a couple of nights, and ended up staying forever! The atmosphere is great: it seems more like a shared house than a hostel. And the people that work in the hostel care about the hostellers, while giving them freedom.The hostel is also full of interesting people. I also love the pub downstairs, with live music every night. All in all, a great place

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Spain

Close to the tube station Brixton. Kitchen available, but not fully equipped. Breakfast was very basic, cheap :( Wi-Fi available in common area only.

Hey there. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review for us. Just wanted to mention that our Wi-Fi is available in the whole of the hostel, hopefully you didn't have problems accessing it outside the common room. Happy travels!

Clean but generally a bit shabby. Pub downstairs is a music venue so not the quietest of hostels! Also a lot of banging doors. I can't complain for the price. Hospitable staff.

Stayed there 2 nights as I was going to sw4 festival! Such a cool place to stay. Excellent location, beds comfy, free breakfast which is always a bonus and everyone there is friendly and chilled out! I'll defo be staying there again when I'm in the area!

• 29th Aug 2015

Hey, thanks for the review, we really appreciate it! Please do come and stay again soon Happy travels

I am sorry to say that from thursday to saturday it is impossible to sleep because of the music coming from the pub downstairs. It would be fine to find a way to solve this problem.

• 16th Aug 2015

Hey there - thanks for giving us a review, we really appreciate it! We love our live music, but we know sometimes it makes it a bit hard to sleep. Next time we'd happily provide earplugs, or move you to another room that is a bit quieter if possible. Thanks again and happy travels!