Hootananny Hostel Reviews

95 Effra Road, Brixton, London, England

AS ALWAYS THIS IS A GOOD HOSTEL. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY?

This place is a bargain, and easy to get to Central London (or anywhere) via the nearby Victoria line. The place is a little worn, and at times it seems a lot of the guests are actually people living there for extended periods of time, but I have a strange affection for this place after using it twice in two years. One issue is the staff hours are not great so early morning or late night arrivals can be tricky. Brixton Market neaby is great and there is a full grocery store across the street.

The security is not good and they tell us when we arrive in the hostel, this is a good point, but in the same time, we know that is not a safe place and we need to be careful all the time, I think the hostel needs to think in something to improve this point.Other problem was the noise during the night, there is a pub under the hostel. The problem is, we shouldnt make noise after 11h PM, is the rules of the hostel, but the own hostel made a lot of noise in the night, horrible to sleep.

It seemed like the owners/workers were more concerned with running the bar on the ground floor, rather than the hostel above. The pillows and comforters were nasty and old, the sheets were scuzzy, and the entire layout of the building was incredibly awkward. I did not use the lounge, but I know the kitchen always seemed messy. By the way, a box of cereal is not enough to advertise as a free breakfast.

As much as it was frustrating to have all of the codes I was really glad that they had so many security measures. I felt safe. Wasn't exactly a fan of the stairs.

I was surprised about the quality of this hostel, as according to the rating it should be much better facilities. It was old, with bad smell. But the worst is that my friend's wallet was stolen in the bar downstairs of the hostel. The owner didn't seem to care, even there are camera they didn't check what happened that night and weren't helpful. I do not recommend this place.

• 9th May 2014
  • Poland

This hostel has large rooms and kitchen (you have to bring your own food for breakfast), pleasant bar. As for many hostels, don't care about the cleanliness in bathroom : the floor is quite dirty, there isn't any tray to put down your clothes. More over, it's impossible to change the water temperature in the shower ... unbelievable ! Another point : it's difficult to sleep because the bar and the street are too noisy. Finally, the location isn't good if you want to access the center of London.

We knew beforehand that it would be noisy at the weekends, but it did not prepare us for the actual noise level we experienced. Seriously; don't go there if you want to sleep at night. The music sometimes plays till 3am in the morning. BUT, the location is good and the staff was really nice and helpful.

Was clean enough to stay one night. Loud music carried on late from pub/club downstairs. More sinks needed by toilet facilities as thst put me off the place, ended up having to brush teeth with bottled water as someone was in the shower which is where the ONLY sink was.

• 2nd May 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

Beds were really comfortable so me and my friend were able to get good nights sleep (ignoring the music that lasted till the early hours of the morning in the venue below). Staff were very polite and explained the systems about security etc for your stay. Only issue is that the window in the girls shower room should be frosted.

• 25th Apr 2014