Hostal Antigua Reviews

5a Ave Sur #22, Antigua, Guatemala

The hostel has a good location and has good value for money. However, it appeared a bit unfriendly to us due to all the rules and warnings on the walls. That appeared a bit hostile to us. Also, they attach great value to security and that everyone is laying in his/her own bed. I think of this as a good thing, up to a certain point. The guy at night came walking in the dorm every night, without saying anything and just staring at people and their beds. This gave us a creepy feeling.

nice place to stay

I booked on-line so was surprised to pay Q112 for 2 Nights after paying HostelWorld 10% Deposit when the same Dorm room was offered Q50 night. When I pointed this out the Receptionist Ruth contacted the Manager but said nothing could be done as this was HostelWorlds price. I told her that the Manager should refund me Q12 thereby only charging Q50 a night as stated otherwise I would make a complaint on Trip Advisor! Ruth was fantastic and got me a refund! Await HostelWorld doing same!!!

Nice hostel, good location but didnt feel like there was much to do in this town and say only stay 2-3 nights max. The hostel was quite on our stay didn't meet many people only the 2 in our room, the rooms were nice and hot water in the ensuite.

A breakfast would be nice.

• 2nd Jan 2014

I ordered a four bed mix room, and it was super dirty, smelly and crowded. So I decided to leave, and they only give me back the money for one night, okay, better than nothing. I seriously recommend to check the room before you pay the balance in case you don't like it and they'll give you a hard time to return your money.

I was traveling with my 84 year old mother who has a hard time walking and uses a cane. The staff was understanding and assisted her up the steps. My mother loves coffee so it was nice that it was available at no additional cost. The lady at the front desk helped me find restaurants that specialized in the local Antigueno cuisine and that were close by so that my mother didn't have to walk far. My only recommendation would be to add an extra lock to the room doors to make them a bit more secure.

Excellent staff, rooms, showers, location, and terrace with a view of the mountains. One of the better hostels I've ever stayed at, and would stay there again definitely in the future!