Hostal Caracol Reviews

Hector Calvo 371, Cerro Bellavista, Valparaiso, Chile

This has to be one of the worst hostal so have stayed in. When I arrived there was no-one there. I had to wait well over an hour for it to open. There was no hot water at all and hadn't been all week according to others staying there. The bathroom and kitchen were filthy. I was also informed in the morning that the hostal was closing for cleaning for two days and that I had to leave. No great shame but meant spending a morning finding somewhere else. Very poor and wouldn't recommend it.

Rooms are nicely done and everything works, however, a little uplift on cleanliness and breakfast would give just the extra points.

• 25th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Be aware when staying over New Year. We booked in July and when we got there were told that our booking was cancelled which now would cost us nearly 3 times more to stay. Funny that the room was still available though. We had no choice but to pay that amount. It happened to other travelers as well that booked through hostelworld.

Hostal Caracol ruined our New Years. I reserved our private room in March for New Year's Eve for 20,000 pesos a night . On the 20th of December I get an email from the hostel telling us our reservation has been cancelled or we must pay 8x the amount. Our ensuite smelt like a public urinal. Also the hostel apon arrive didn't acknowledge our deposit, when I asked for a refund they hostel said they never received it and the old women was so rude and made us feel awful for knowing minimal Spanish.