Hostal Casa Areka Reviews

Calle T. Duque y 55, frente al super 99, Paitilla, Panama City, Panama

Nice place nice staff.

If you don't mind cars honking and showers with no warm water, then this is the place for you. It has a good location and the staff was very helpful. It had a good vibe to it but there wasn't much in regards to security. The front door was open most of the time. They do provide storage lockers for you though. I would recommend if the two things above don't bother you.

Casa Areka is a gem! It's a lil tucked away, not exactly in the heart of things - but not far either and catching a cab right outside the door was never a problem. The 24 hour supermarket across the street was perfect, arguably better than being in Casco Viejo - especially for budget travelers. The private double room that we stayed in was superb, very clean and quiet, felt like a hotel but with the social vibe of a hostel! Best of both worlds. Breakfast is basic but solid. Pool area is sweet!

Let's start with the bright side... the hostel got a nice courtyard, a good common room and a sufficiently well equipped kitchen. The area is probably one of the saves in town but not very convenient. The staff seems to be friendly but doesn't really care. Our bed was broken, we told them, nothing happened. When asking for Information - the answeres were pretty unmotivated. Especially in the morning you hardly found one at all. The toilets kept on breaking, not well cleaned rooms... nuff said.

Maybe close the door in the evenings for security reasons. Other than that though, great stay! Too many barca fans though ;p ¡hala Madrid!

• 4th Apr 2015

The staff made a mistake with my reservation but they have done anything they could and beyond to help me find a solution which was eventually moving to another hostel. The hostel looked amazing, rooms and beds were big. I recommend even though i didnt stay there.

If you are looking to do some shopping, you will be within walking distance of two huge malls with movie theaters. 24 hour grocery and a few restaurants are right across the street. The place has a great social/community hostel vibe going on. The common areas always have people hanging out (playing video games, napping, grilling, playing guitar). It can be loud in your room during high traffic times because the street can get busy.

Mice in the kitchen and roaches in the room. My bed sheets had a stain (blood?) & staff would not change. Staff does not respect FEMALE Dorm & tried to move a male in my 2nd day. The locker's hole was not large enough for a standard masterlock. I had to start killing roaches in bathroom and their corpse lay there on the ground till way after I left. Breakfast was good but when a place has rats & roaches you don't want to eat. POSITIVE NOTE: I liked the wall with people's countries drawn on it.

It was a great experiencie, all the shared areas were very clean, It's kinf of mini hotel, due the facilities you can find there, as well, it's located in a center point, in front of a super market, very easy to get a taxi, or if you want to walk is very near from the center of the city, for too many restaurants, shopping centers, etc. Definitely I could get bak there if I visit again Panama City.

• 31st Mar 2015
  • Costa Rica

early morning transport al aeropuerto starting at 5:10am, and then continuing every 3 hours or so. seems like a chill spot. 24hr market across the street.

• 31st Mar 2015

Its in a nice neighbourhood but you need to use public transportation to get around. A supermarket and a shopping center are nearby. The pool is amazing on a hot day and they play some great music. All in all it is a great hostel only it was lacking some security I felt. The front door was wide open all the time, even at times when reception was not working and the dorm rooms are not locked either.

staff was really friendly and helpful. convenient location right next to a big grocery store, but unfortunately there is a lot of street noise during the day (seems like the locals really overuse their car horns). Bring some ear plugs/headphones if you want to sleep in. great pool, common areas, and kitchen. Only other complaint is that we reserved a double bed and were given two single beds pushed together, which is NOT the same thing.

I stayed 1night, but i didn't like. It was very loud at night, you definetly have to bring some earplugs. Moreover, was Not clean.

• 26th Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

We booked 2 beds in a 4 beds dorm, as our flight was late (a couple of hours) when we arrived in the hostel, our 2 beds where already occupied an the only 2 beds available where in a 8 beds dorm, which would be fine...But we paid the same price as we where supposed to pay for the 4 beds. Moreover they said the where offering basic commodities such as bedsheets and towels, and although everyone had it, when I went to ask to the receptionist if they had bedsheets the answer was a quick "NO".

• 26th Mar 2015

Great location and very sociable hostel.

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The facicities were just what I was looking for. Very pleased with my stay.

• 22nd Mar 2015

I showed up and was told the room I reserved wasn't available. Was scoffed at when I inquired about a refund or at least cab fare to a different accommodation. Guy working the desk only repeatedly stated that it wasn't his "fault."

Nice hostel, friendly and helpful staff, very informal

Stayed here for 2 nights, the pool area is great to meet cotravellers, the supermarket across the street is a big plus. It's clean and I really liked my time here

very cool hostel, Piere the owner is simply lovely and quite helpful. good scene and location