Hostal Casa Areka Reviews

Calle T. Duque y 55, frente al super 99, Paitilla, Panama City, Panama

The bathrooms were big and clean. There are a lot of restrooms as well! and the kitchen is big. The staff is very very disorganized however. They messed up my reservation as well as multiple others'. Even after speaking to them on the phone from the airport, when I arrived 15 minutes later they had no idea who I was or that I had a reservation. Breakfast is included but was never on time at 8 like stated. Dont expect quick answers or organization. Also my female dorm had a male in it.

Stayed here for 6 nights and it's a really great hostel, well actually felt more Like a home. I was in the female dorm which was clean, comfiest mattress I'd had in 4 months of travelling and really soft sheets. And no bed bugs! Also air con in the room which was a dream. Free chilled water downstairs. The staff were lovely. Breakfast was okay, it's free so can't complain. Only thing was we had a boy in our dorm for two nights when it was meant to be all female?

• 7th Jul 2015

I thought this place has a really nice vibe. Oswald and the Aussie girl (never got her name!) were really friendly and helpful. It is located in quite a fancy area, take a walk about 5mins and you'll see all the REALLY fancy skyriser hotels, fascinating!

Such a good hostel and very affordable! Great staff. Pool, good kitchen, common area, pool table, comfy beds, good wifi, great breakfast and really friendly staff! Highly recommend :)

Javi! You are great! Byron. You are so kind! So Javi is the manager I would say. He was always checking if I was find and then I met some new friends and made me feel like home. Surrounded by old friends, that's how I felt even though I just recently met them. Byron is the taxi driver, on time at the airport. (If you can't find him go inside again and look where all the people are waiting for travelers "Exit") then he gave me a short but unforgettable tour in the city. Thank you for all guys!

I met some very nice people at Casa Areka and the facility was great. The Owner was exceptional.stricklerdavea@hotmail.com

• 19th Jun 2015

We ended up staying here for three days. The travelers and staff were very friendly. Awesome vibe.

I had a fantastic stay at Casa Areka -- the staff was extremely friendly/helpful and made me feel welcome.

The staff were really friendly, especially Javier who made sure we had a great time, definitely a party hostel. Great location, good cooking facilities, would 100% stay here again. Colombian men are the best 😊

• 13th Jun 2015

I got what I paid for. Not overly impressed. I had no idea who actually worked there and never knew who to ask for help. When I first got there a guy was sitting at the front table and just looked at me until I had to ask to check in. It was uncomfortable to say the least. The kitten was cute though!

I sent an email to confirm airport pick up the day of b/c I had never gotten a confirmation. At 12:30AM after waiting 15 min. I found a taxi. When we got to the hostal at 1:00AM, it took 10 min. for someone to answer the door. The staff told me to sit down and wait. When I asked "for what" (in Spanish because I am fluent), they blew off my question. Later I found out they didn't know about my reservation. After waiting 45 min. A fellow traveler offered me his room b/c he was leaving. at 2:00AM

When we arrived, the hostel did not have our room available. They were pretty unapologetic about this. They also refused to refund the deposit that we had already paid online. I was told to contact the manager, but that he wasn't available till the next day.

I have stayed at quite a few hostels in Panama City, but this was by far the worst. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The person responsible was not very helpful. There were dirty sheets on the beds. The 6 bed female dorm had 7 beds and others that came after me were told that it was a mixed dorm. It has an ensuite with an door to the hall way. It was unlocked and so men just walked in. Through either door. There is more to this story.

It was an alright hostel for one night and the staff were friendly. It's not located near any of the bus stations or subway so thats a bummer. It seems the front door is always open and someone not staying at the hostel could walk in and steal stuff from room one. A suggestion to the owners - its hard to distinguish who the staff on duty are. Maybe consider having staff shirts so guests can distinguish who to go to for help.

The location is not good, it's not very close to anything interesting, and far away from all the classical sightseeing-spots. It was clean and the hostel was in good shape, and the breakfast was good: fruits, bread, jam and coffee. The owner of the place is polite and helpful: however, the other staff members, who seem to be living at the hostel (?), behave like they own the place, and are not very welcoming or service-minded. It was also very loud when we were there, with music and drinking.

Great location, comfortable hostel with friendly staff and cool vibes. Would stay here again on my next trip to Panama City

Nice place nice staff.

If you don't mind cars honking and showers with no warm water, then this is the place for you. It has a good location and the staff was very helpful. It had a good vibe to it but there wasn't much in regards to security. The front door was open most of the time. They do provide storage lockers for you though. I would recommend if the two things above don't bother you.

Casa Areka is a gem! It's a lil tucked away, not exactly in the heart of things - but not far either and catching a cab right outside the door was never a problem. The 24 hour supermarket across the street was perfect, arguably better than being in Casco Viejo - especially for budget travelers. The private double room that we stayed in was superb, very clean and quiet, felt like a hotel but with the social vibe of a hostel! Best of both worlds. Breakfast is basic but solid. Pool area is sweet!

Nice staff and a bit of a laugh when Chris is messing about

« first « Prev 1 2 3