Hostal Chaska Wasi Reviews

Plaza de Armas s/n (frente a la municipalidad), Ollantaytambo, Peru

This hostel is run by a young Peruvian/Italian couple who are very knowledgeable about the area and David is a really nice, cheerful host. The location is great on the square but somehow still quiet. Inside is funky decor.The bed was comfy, but thé wifi is really very slow. The rooms are nice and big but a bit dark , and the sheets are very thin with some holes. Breakfast is basic. It is still good value compared to other options and I'd stay there again if I didn't really need the Internet!

The staff at the hostel were really nice. Made it easy to check in. They gave us towels. The showers were hot. Toilet paper was provided. The only thing that was a con was it was the outside noises throughout the night from car horns to dogs barking. But I assume this would be the case at any place aroune here since its a small town. The hostel is located in the main plaza so it's convenient to walk to everything.

Well I stayed one night, cos my train was at 5am to Aguas Calientes, It was a nice place, I felt really confortable everything is around, I dont have much to say about other stuff but It was nice

The owner, Katty, is one of the kindest people you will meet on your journeys. She was incredibly helpful in securing transportation for me, and even went as far as to connect me with other trekkers to carpool to some sites in the Sacred Valley. Katty speaks English fluently, so for a practicing Spanish speaker it can be easy to communicate in English if Spanish isn't working or you. Katty recommended economical places to eat and travel and allowed me to keep my bag at the hostel past checkout.

This was my first negative hostel experience. The manager was annoyed with me the moment I walked in the door; not even a greeting or sign-in. She pushed me towards a room, was unclear about every question I asked her, and used the common area as her living room. She had designated times for asking questions (as in after 8am, when most travelers are up and going by then). She was also very disorganized and rude. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• 2nd Dec 2015

Very nice owner. A bit familiar.

it's so so. but just one night ok. the hostel is located at front of the plaze de armas. but nothing special. just that's all. no kind. no rude. when i knock door in the early morning, no one open the door, because they not a 24 hour reception system.

Nice place, quiet and calm. Only negative thing was the lacking of hot water. Over all a very good place to stay !

Stayed for 1 night on way to Machu Picchu; checked in and shown to room by owner's young son - no sign of owner until later in the evening! Room & bathroom were fine though bed was uncomfortable. Wifi is limited to 9am - 11pm but didn't actually work all evening. Security and communal areas were good; owner and son were friendly. Left early for train so can't comment on breakfast.

Cute small hostel, good for one night as a stop off before trekking to Machu Picchu. Nice bar and outdoor courtyard but that's about it for facilities. Very quiet. Had an issue where the toilets seemed to be getting blow back and smelt a bit and wifi grinds! But that's being a bit picky as its a relatively remote place. Hostel is on main square so excellent position in town.

This was a terrible place to stay. Our bed had a very old mattress and was very uncomfortable. The sheets were like prison sheets - thin and full of stains. The room had no real curtains and a bright light shined into the room all night - I did not sleep. Also there is never any staff around - if you need some assistance there is only a 8 year old boy to help...

The hostel was located right on the main square, though the whole town can be walked in under ten minutes. Our linens were not clean, our bathroom sink leaked and the shower was cold, but the room was cheap and the staff was nice enough.

You need to buzz the door everytime you want to get it, but since there is no main reception area you need to wait for the cleaning lady or some else to come open the door. Also because there wasn't a reception area, we couldn't pay right away and made asking for information next to impossible, or even paying the bill. We finally paid the kid that was helping around in the evening. Also the Internet is only from 9am to 11pm in the common room. The location is great to go see the ruins.

Love Katty, Eban and his mom! Very hard working helpful people. ****for Carlos our driver to and from Cusco for 80 soles one way, he was fun and stopped for photos~recommend asking Katty for him.

One of the worst hostels I've stayed, I booked a room for 10 beds and there is one bathroom for all the people sleeping there. Because the bathroom, the dorm room smells like sewer and everyone hear everything you do in the bathroom. The beds were like cardboard, sank to the wooden base and was very uncomfortable. Bunk beds seems that at any moment will be broken and the ceiling is very low, so there is difficulty to get on the top bunk. However the hostess is very helpful and gave good advise.

Nice place. Perfect location. Only complaint would be that its pretty patronizing with all the rules.

Ollantaytambo is a beautiful little town but staying at this hostel was an unpleasant experience. Wifi is important and the lady who runs this hostel has a rule that after 11pm to 9am she turns off the router and there are times during the day she turns off the wifi, I have never seen this in a hostel. A hostel pal was taking a nap and the hostel lady kicked her out because she had to clean the room. The hostel lady was upset when we went out even though there is no curfew, we felt trapped.

Amazing and friendly. The location is perfect. Right in the town square. A must stay if you are going to Machu Picchu.

• 7th Sep 2015

Great location. Very friendly staff. Room was in need of some repairs and only one outlet to share between ten people, but otherwise great place!

The staff was the friendliest and most helpful I experienced in Peru. Would definitely stay here again.

• 1st Sep 2015