Hostal Chaska Wasi Reviews

Plaza de Armas s/n (frente a la municipalidad), Ollantaytambo, Peru

Chaska Wasi was great! We ended up staying here twice...once before and once after our Machu Picchu trip. The staff was friendly and helpful, the facilities clean and a very homey atmosphere. We ended up meeting people we continued to travel with too which was awesome, good cohesive environment for that. The showers were warm-ish (not hot but definitely doable). They didn't have lockers unfortunately but everything felt very safe and you could lock up valuables downstairs. Definitely recommend!

Katy (the owner) is absolutely amazing - fun to talk to and very helpful. She also has several friendly cats, which I really enjoyed, but some guests were less pleased. The room was very basic but clean; my only real complaints was the very dim (purple) light in the room and the total lack of mirrors and outlets. We were only there one night so we didn't shower, so I can't comment on the water temps.

Taking a hot shower was a challenge but that is not the hostel's fault, the water pressure in Ollanta is simly very low and for that reason the boiler doesn't start. But the staff made up for it by guiding guests to different rooms where the currently was hot water!

Very nice staff. They really tried hard to have a social gathering at breakfast which was nice and it was great chatting with the other guests. The rooms were simple but quite comfortable, a nice charm about the place and a wonderful rooftop view you won't want to miss. We didn't get much for hot water in the shower but that's sort of standard for all the hostels we stayed at. Would recommend for sure!

No hot water, the shower was falling off the wall. Staff however were nice.

• 4th Aug 2014

The hostel is in a great location right off the main plaza. Katie the lady that runs the hostel was awesome, we had 6 hours to kill on our way to machu picchu and or reservation at the hostel was for the following day but katie still let us leave our packs with her and let us use bathrooms, rooftop and wifi which was really awesome. The cats are the best and the rooftop is an awesome place to enjoy the view.

Definitely recommend. Great staff, cute resident cats, basic breakfast but good to have it included for the price. Great little place!

The truth: great location in the plaza square, breakfast included, friendly staff The myth: they say they have hot water but out of 4 days I had warm water once and luke warm once, the rest was cold The lie: there is absolutely no fast internet here! It is super slow!

The staff here is very friendly and they give the whole hostel the "family living room" sort of vibe. They are also very helpful in suggesting things to do or ways to get there. It is located right in the middle of the main plaza of Ollantaytambo, close enough to the ruins and train station. They provided extra blankets and towels in the rooms which was very nice, however they did not provide toilet paper in the bathrooms nor did they have a kitchen for guests to use.

Located right in the plaza de armas in Ollanta. You can't ask for a better location. The staff was friendly and helpful. They let me store my bags after checkout for a few hours until it was time to catch my train. A very chill place to relax, not a party hostel. They also have two very friendly cats.

The staff was very friendly. The dorm room we stayed in had bunk bed that were comfortable for the night before heading out to Machu Picchu early the next morning. The hot water did not have much pressure & it was really more luke warm than hot.

Super friendly!

• 14th Jul 2014

We were catching the early train and the owner / manager was annoyed that we were leaving for the early train. Didn't have any change on them for the payment. But was kind enough to let us go and pay later. She was really nice. Just let them know that you are leaving early

The Hostal is perfect,. period!! This is the second year we stop here and still delighted. Also you cannot find more friendly than Kathy (the owner)! She will give you many tips and even arrange for you taxi trips at a price only residents should expect, I forgot my passport and jacket in a collectivo from Cusco but Thanks to her help I was able to find both back (can you imagine she left her Hostal to came with me to help!!). Thank You Kathy for been so kind and keeping your Hostal delightful!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Location is great, easy to get food and drink as well as collectivo on the way back to Cusco. Staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. She can give you some advice where to go and what to do.

Pros: Easy to find at central plaza. Super friendly owners. Super duper comfy feather doona on the bed. Tv lounge room with massive tv - perfect for world cup. Cons: temperamental showers -only sometimes warm (but owner helped as much as she could). Very basic breakfast included,bread and jam (but you can opt to pay extra for eggs if you wish). Overall, a good choice for ollantaytambo.

Very helpful service. Nice atmosphere. Rooms a little worn. There are no lockers in the room.

I stayed at the Chaska Wasi for two nights. The location is fantastic right on the Plaza de Armas. During my stay was the Choquechilca festival, Ollanta's biggest of the year, so while there was plenty of festivities, the music did last well into the night, the next morning in fact. But instead of trying to beat the music, I joined it! Katy and Davide are incredible hosts. They invited me around to check out the festival on both nights. The cats are lovely. Plumbing needed repair but worked.

• 7th Jun 2014

When I arrived and the next morning when I left the water in the 10 bed dorm didn't work which meant no shower, no flushing, couldn't brush teeth, etc. worked in the evening though and the shower dripped all night. Good location but wouldn't stay more than one night

It was right at the Plaza but the hostel sign is small and not colorful. It's a bit difficult to find as I got there at night. Water is not hot, just warm with low pressure. Bed is good. Wifi is slow and not get into the dorm room. The owner lady is funny & strict. Not allow to use wi-fi at dining table. Breakfast is limit per person. But it is cheap stay so I think this is very worth the money while travelling to the other city anyway.

• 21st May 2014