Hostal El Refugio Reviews

Palguin 540, Pucon, Chile

A very nice and cosy hostel. I really enjoyed my stay. The hostel has a nice atmosfere and it is easy to meet other travelers.

Pros: Nice atmosphere and very cool and super helpful staff - thanks for the great time. Hostal staff organized a delicious BBQ with fantastic meat one night. Improvement potential: Very crowded hostal, not enough bathrooms, kitchen and bathrooms a bit rundown; we were staying in a private room, which was small, but very nice - shared bathroom.

Thanks for your comment, man! Glad you had a good time here and that you enjoyed the BBQ. We are always trying to improve this hostel, so thansk for letting us know! Cheers, Refugio crew

Very cosy and the tents outside are really good. staff is awesome and you can book all your activities through them. 2 blocks from the main street

Nice hostel. Really good staff. Tent for 3 people doesn't have jack.

Thanks for your comment. I don`t understand what you mean with that the tents don`t have jack? The tents we have are a good cheap option for travellers coming to Pucon during summer with a tighter budget and it also has all the facilities as a dorm. Electricity, lockers, sheets and we only ask for a deposit here if you don`t have your own padlock. Cheers

It was a good place to stay considering the price for a bed in pucon. They dont accept credit card, altough the description says they do. The tent doesnt have eletricity, so i had to charge my cellphone on the kitchen but that is a minor problem. Overall, its a good place to stay.

Thanks for your comment, man! Really nice having you here! I just want to inform you that the tents have electricity, but we were missing a socket for one of the tents. I don`t understand where you read that we accept credit card as we never accepted it. If you can please let me know where, I`ll remove it. Cheers!

This place was perfect for my stay! I loved how the staff took care of making sure you had your days full of stuff to do and booked tours on your behalf. So easy and worry-free! All of the staff recommendations were spot on and created a warm environment to meet new people or even share a glass of wine/beer with a random fellow traveler.

• 5th Jan 2015

I loved the hostel. I enjoyed my time there and I have loved to stay more time. The staff was always helpful and nice to me. You could have more bathrooms and restrooms for the guests.

We were well welcomed by the staff from the very beginning. Heidi is wonderful, very friendly, helpful and informative - she even helped fix my girlfriend's sore knee. Negra is a wonderful dog and watching her play with the cat is a joy! It really feels like a travel family staying there. Rooms are good, although it's really noisy at 5 a.m. almost every day to go to the volcano. Beds are comfy. Bathrooms are ok. There're 2 kitchens, well equipped, but bad knives, lol. BEST HOSTEL IN TOWN! :)

The mattresses in the dorm upstairs seem to be a little old. Is that correect?

Really an awesome home away from home. From the moment we walked in the door we were met with smiles and good conversation. Truly great staff. Some maintenance issues in the outdoor bathroom (we stayed in the dome tent, a unique experience in itself, and wonderfully cheap) but the problems were acknowledged quickly. Would recommend and stay again!

• 27th Dec 2014

great staff!! heidi was lovely and super informative about all the activities possible. we stayed in the dorm tent outside and it was cool, something different. nice outdoor space w hammocks etc. outdoor bathroom could have some hooks for clothes. highlight was going horseback riding w gregorio... super lindo!!!

The hostel is so warm and welcoming. I injured myself and the staff where so lovely and helpful. Would highly recommend

So far the best hostel I have been in South America. Will return for sure!

• 17th Dec 2014
  • Liechtenstein

The staff are FANTASTIC! They will provide you GREAT information about things to see and do that will fit all budgets --volcano ($70US) to hiking Ojos ($4US). I stayed in the dome tents in the backyard which are the best value. The space is very chill with great places to hangout (hammock, fireplace, picnic tables, 2 kitchens, etc.) The hostel is close to all things Pucon--shopping, restaurants, cafes, markets, etc. The bus stations (2) are across the street from the hostel by one block. Enjoy!

best hostal I've stayed at in all of 4 months in South America. The staff, Megan, Santi and Heidi, are top notch and will go out of their way to help you if they can. The premises invite social interaction. Great place.

Great hostel with great homely vibes! They show you everything to do in Pucon on arrival which is great. Lovely managers and pets. The dome tents are awesome and great value for money.

Thanks, you `re a big part of this Refugio-family! Awesome to spend a good amount of days with you here, enjoy the rest of your travels. High five from Team Refugio

One of the best Hostels I've ever been. Rainy day? No worries, it's so comfortable just to stay in the cozy living room the whole day, with firesite and Gluehwein! Really nice staff and athmosphere! The offered tours all seem to be worth their money. Highly recommended!

Thanks man! Its never bad weather only bad clothes (: Unfortunately sometimes it rains here in Pucon, but then this amazing thing called gluehwein saves the day! Cheers!

We had a fantastic time at this hostel: the staff are super lovely and we met some great people staying there, too. The showers are hot (the top bathroom is particularly roomy), the kitchens (two!) are good and the lounge area is cosy with a fireplace and comfy seating. House dog and cat are cute also! We stayed in the dome, where the beds were large and comfy. We also stayed in a private room, which was very nice. The only negative point was that you could feel the springs through the mattress.

Hi guys! Thanks for your comment! Im glad you enjoyed your stay with us. About the mattress, we have a new load of matresses coming in (: Welcome back anytime! Cheers

This place was so great! It was my first stop in Chile and got my whole trip off to an amazing start. The staff are the warmest, friendliest people I've ever met, and the amount of information they have on things to do will make your head spin. No matter what the weather does, or what trips go or don't go on the day you're there, they will make sure you have an amazing time.

• 9th Nov 2014

Thanks for some heartwarming words! And it was awesome having you here, welcome back any time (: Cheers

Great place, felt like a family even on a short stay. very helpful staff making you feel very welcome. Highly recommend.

Hey guys, thanks!! Im glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome to the Refugio family (: Welcomeback anytime! Cheers, Heidi